July 30, 2014 | 2095 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 10:01:00 AM More reviews by axialmeow

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a decent setting powder. I like that it is colorless. I feel like powders with color tend to change my foundation color. This feels super smooth going on, almost too smooth. It tends to make everything it touches slippery. I learned this the hard way! The packaging isn't the greatest and a lot came out at once and got all over my makeup case. When I went to pick up a brush it had some of this powder on the handle and it flew out of my hand into the toilet. Boo! Then a couple days later after I thought I had cleaned everything up, I picked up my mascara and the same thing happened. Ughhhhh. But I won't complain because the price is right and it works ok for me. This doesn't keep my super oily skin matte for long but then again nothing does. But I like that it's finely milled and I am able to touch up without looking cakey.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by Xbabiecee

I absolutely love this stuff! It helps to blur any pores on the face, creating a soft focus. It controls oil pretty well, but there are definitely better powders for oil control out there. In addition, this must used moderately because it may give a white cast on the face.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 8:53:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

This product is just fine - at first I hated it because it made me look ashy and like a ghost. Then, I recently started using it again and it actually keeps my face from becoming more oily as the day goes on(I have dry skin but being out in the sun makes it oily). The only thing I don't like is that at first it makes you look ashy and highlights any bumps/imperfections on your face. It only looks good as the day progresses and not at first. I really hate the packaging though...it's really messy and I always get it everywhere. Overall it's fine but not worth it for me to rebuy even though it's so cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by realitydust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've just repurchased this and glad I did! I have no reason to shell out for higher end HD powders like MUFE that essentially all have the same main ingredients. Perfectly happy with this e.l.f. HD powder... it does what it says! My skin's texture becomes very silky to the touch, but it also gives a mattifying yet glowing effect, and seems to soften any blemishes, scars, lines, and the overall makeup I have on underneath it.
The only real drawback is the packaging. The box is sleek but unnecessarily big for the amount of product inside (in fact, I have a feeling mine was not filled all the way when I received it...) I have to be sure to put the puff back inside immediately otherwise the slightest movement will sent powder flying!
Speaking of the puff, I get the best results using it rather than a brush. I press & roll the puff on my skin which lets the product diffuse as opposed to dusting it on.
A HG product, for sure :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 12:27:00 AM More reviews by segat1

I love this. I finally found ELF in Australia, and being in the market for some new loose powder after my Laura Mercier Translucent went to the bottom of the jar (YAY), I figured a $6 pot of powder would get me through until I went to the department store.

This stuff is BETTER, if not exactly the same effect.

It is a PITA to get out of the jar, and I highly recommend changing to some other packaging (I dumped mine into the Laura Mercier pot) and it's much easier. You need a tiny amount, I dont even use the puff.

Awesome stuff. The best bit was when I had my photo taken at the weekend, and someone said my skin looked like porcelain. BUY ALL THE ELF!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Cass2a3Lou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This powder is amazing! I use the e.l.f complexion brush to apply it and it goes on flawlessly. It has drastically reduced my shine and makes my foundation stay put all day long. I actually stumbled upon this by accident, I purchased 3 containers of it during their %50 off sale and I thought I was getting the mineral booster (which is also great) but this one wins hands down! I buy the yellow version and I can't get enough. While the packaging is a bit messy just make sure you shimmy the container around (lid up) before opening it and it usually settles back down pretty nicely. I won't buy any other loose powder anytime in the near future as long as this little beauty is around.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

This had been around for a while before I decided to finally give in and give it a go, mainly based on the countless rave reviews it's received both on MakeupAlley and across the web. It almost seemed impolite NOT to try it!

Sadly, after only one application I had an adverse reaction to it which left my face (in particular my cheeks) red, inflamed and very, very sore. I still don't know what ingredient caused such a bad flare up, but my skin was like it for a good 3 days before it finally started to subside.

Based on the above it's hard for me to give a really in-depth review, but from memory this is a microfine powder that went on very easily when applied and left my skin feeling silky. I'm not sure about some of the claims it makes on the back of the packaging - e.g. "masks the fine lines and imperfections for a radiant complexion"; "creates a 'soft focus' effect to the skin" - but I guess it did leave my skin feeling smoother. I can't say much for wearability either, as I only lasted about 2 hours before I had to go and wash it off!

On a plus note, the E.L.F. UK customer service team were brilliant when I called them and explained what had happened to my face. The lady I spoke to even went through a few questions with me to see if she could work out what ingredient it might have been to cause the reaction (her suggestion was it might be the Silica). And they were very prompt at refunding my money so I can't fault them on that front.

Sadly this ended up in the trash. I wouldn't warn people off using it, but I would give a note of caution to anyone with overly sensitive skin like mine; it could end up causing you a lot of pain...!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by bluedestructionx

This product is meant to be used sparingly lol. I put too much once and I had a white cast on my face that did NOT look good. I noticed that it does blur out your skin so it looks "smoother". Overall good product. Word of advice: either don't open the tab all the way or keep the puff in there at all times. I made the mistake of taking off the entire tab and losing puff and now whenever I open it I lose a lot of product. I'm trying to use up one of my smaller powder so I can change the sifter jars .

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Yewy20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is amazing! I have the worst oily skin ever, I mean i was using UD mattifying translucent powder ($32) value and after 3 hrs, i'll be blotting my foundation off my face.

It was getting tiring looking for a matte finish powder to complete my look each morning. And I even purchased Estee lauder after reading the raving reviews ($29+Tax) value, don't get me wrong, it worked but then made my face looked like a ghost cos it's too white on the face and takes time to oxidize to your colour.

And then I thought, buying this fantastic $6 powder will not kill me so just try and see if it works. And it helps that the reviews are so hyped and so consistent, I thought it would be good to just try it and see. My my my, my face was matte for 12hrs + and even when i blotted after taking a walk in this 95deg + in humid TX, it was still matte till i was ready to wash my face at night.

This is a must buy!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2013 10:34:00 AM More reviews by lrachel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm still trying to find the best way to apply this product. With the included puff, a little goes a long way and provides a very nice finish. Haven't tried with a brush yet, but patting and rolling seems to do a good job. Good, airbrushed look, pores noticeably less evident.

I use far less of this than traditional loose powder.

However, whatever you do, do NOT REMOVE THE PUFF AND TURN THE CONTAINER UPSIDE DOWN. I only removed 1/2 of the seal over the holes and if the puff is inside, it dispenses the right amount of product. But if you remove the puff and turn it upside down, you will have an unholy mess. The insides of my lungs and nose are no doubt enjoying their own airbrushed look.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No