April 20, 2014 | 1697 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2013 8:36:00 PM More reviews by zoestark

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For the price and the radiant results it's perfect. The packaging stinks and makes it difficult to travel with this messy powder. I keep this on my vanity and don't travel with it. It makes my skin look flawless and perfectly buffed. I love this stuff. Just wish the container didn't dispense the contents in such a poor manner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2013 1:37:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm so glad I read the reviews here! Having read up on the ingredients, this is one of the cleanest setting powders around. If you have no problems with silicones (and I don't except in my hair) this is the best you'll find. There's nothing in this setting powder that is suspected to aggravate or, over prolonged use, build up and cause unpleasant allergic reactions.

I popped one into my last Beauty Joint haul early in the year and just crossed my fingers that it didn't dry my skin out as have other setting powders. I still have a seriously oily T-zone but I don't need products for younger oily skin that suck out the moisture where I don't have any to spare. I'm also well into being post-menopausal and my skin has become more sensitive, plus is displaying the early signs of crepiness. Until now, my skin has been looking better without any makeup than with the products I love to use to even out my complexion. Everything from Jane Iredale to Eshiko to... well, everything leaves my complexion looking like a photo of the the lunar surface. Every setting powder rides into the uneven surface and drags BB creams and foundations into the lines. This doesn't! Most setting powders dry my cheeks and upper forehead out. This doesn't! The MOST unbelievable part is that it is so cheap. Oh, yes, I'll be repurchasing in twos in the future. Beauty Joint & Cherry Culture have taken up to 3 or 4 weeks to arrive (to Australia). As I haven't even wanted to use my other powders since it arrived, this is now permanently on my backups list!

Yes, like all of the supposedly 'translucent' powders you will get a white caste if you decide to go comedy slapstick classics with it and thwack it on with a giant powder puff. You truly only need a sparing amount on your favourite powder brush to do the job of setting & mattifying and actually blurring the lines. Yay! It's everything I want from a powder except colour. I already have coloured powder for days I couldn't be bothered with anything except evening out my complexion. I can dust this over the top of the ordinary powders & achieve an 'I've spent time sloshing around with primer & waiting for it to settle' blurring & primed effect!

I hate the package. Even though I only ever lift the corner of the plastic seal to ensure that only a minimum amount of powder comes out, this has far too much space to the lid (once the powder puff has been removed) and awkward corners to make it look sleek & square which catch the powder, meaning that I end up with a lot of waste & mess, as well as time tapping at it too gingerly to get any meaningful amount out, thus opening & closing it more than I should have to. Easy solution: I transfer it into a cleaned powder dispenser (like the Jane Iredale one), seal the perforated cover, and use a pin to puncture a few of the holes. Viola: troubles over.

PS As with any powders, sprays and cosmetics that are light enough for particles to float around you, learn to take a deep breath when applying and step out of the cloud around you if you need to take a breath while working with it. Any particles of this nature are NOT good to breathe in. Unless you're a professional MUA constantly exposed to silicones and talcs, using such products is not dangerous if you just use a little common sense.

EDIT (or PPS) one day later:
In re-reading my review I feel I ought to state that this isn't a miracle product. By your mid-50's you'd have to be fairly naive to expect to look 20 years younger by dusting on a powder (or to believe in miracle products). The only semi-miracles come in the form of injectables, lasers and surgical knife. It is, however, definitely the best powder I've come across for creating a more flattering complexion. The pores with stretchmarks, and the sagging, wrinkled skin don't disappear disappear as if you'd used an eraser. I wouldn't want anyone to feel disappointed when they discover that it isn't a miracle spackle: just the best, most comfortable product I've found for mattifying and softening up the general appearance of my skin.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by mamafazz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This powder makes your foundation last and look nice all day! It is never cakey and never settles in creases. Just a tip: when you first apply it, it does look white, powdery, and ghostly. You gotta give it a few minutes, it will transform into beautiful, flawless, fairly matte finish and like I said last all day. Love it! Best $6 I ever spent.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by ladlaw

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

wow...This stuff is the bomb..makes my skin look almost perfect..but natural...love love love

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by mibrown18

I dust this over my face after applying my face makeup. It gives me a matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by llwilso

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually really liked this product. I didn't think I was going to but since its cheap I have it a try. It really does a pretty good job with controlling my oily skin throughout the day. I only apply it in the morning and by the end of my work day my skin is much less greasy looking. My only dislike is that the packaging is not that great and it is a little messy. Other than that, not a bad product at all. Well worth the price paid for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by Desireec727

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this powder twice now and I really like it. The packaging is nice. A large black square/roundish box with a powder puff that I'll never use inside of it. I think the sifter top is just the right size even though I've heard complaints about it being to large. I am african american with brown skin and alot of translucent powders show up as ashy on me. This one didn't. I used this to set my concealer and cream blush and it was perfect. I looked totally airbrush. It also keeps the shine at bay which is one of my biggest makeup issues. I also used it on top of ELF eyeshadow primer just to help my eyelids stay oil free and that's worked well. I even felt like it had a bit of coverage to it which was weird but appreciated. Translucent powders never have coverage. Yesterday driving to work wasn't so hot, but driving home it was 87 degrees and while I was a little sweaty, a simply blot with a tissue and I was matte all over again. I purchased for $6.00 which is more than the normal ELF products (priced at $1.00 - $3.00) but it was definitely worth it. I can see this package lasting me for over a year since you need so little. I love this stuff. Desireesbeautyblog.Blogspot.com. MaryKay.com/dchristian315

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For my oily male skin, this powder has become A MUST.
The Corrective Yellow shade works better if you have yellow undertones or have redness you need to neutralize. Don't be too quick to put it aside before finding the appropriate technique and a suitable brush. When applied right on top of my moisturizer it settled into pores and caked under my eyes. It was even worse during the summer time.

First, if your skin is oily this will not replace a mattifying powder. My makeup use doesn't include foundation or concealer. I simply apply moisturizer, let it dry, then apply some talc powder to remove shine. After my matte blush and bronzer I finish up with this to hold them in place and add a soft focus effect. The talc powder also prevents this from being over-applied. The HD silica bind in-between the talc, filling up the spaces and looking very natural. While I'm not sure about its oil absorption abilities, it certainly delays the appearance of shine. The blotting paper will still absorb the usual amount, but I don't have to blot as much.

You do need a good brush. I use the Body Shop Slanted Kabuki and it's great, but any other dense fluffy brush would work just fine. Some people recommend cutting the plastic partially. Instead, I simply block the whole surface with the brush, turn it upside down, side to side, then back up. Then I swirl the brush against the sides of the sifter to distribute the product. It helps if the bristles are dark because you can see if the powder is not evenly distributed on the brush.

I heard that the original MUFE powder is more finely milled and I might give it a try. But honestly I haven't felt the need to so far, and I actually prefer the packaging of the ELF one. The sifter area is deep and large I can nicely fit my large kabuki. The shape of the container is very chic in my opinion and happens to resemble a few CHANEL products ;P. NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder might indeed be of better quality but comes only in white.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 12:34:00 PM More reviews by reneelabelle

I have tried many of these translucent powders and find this to be just as good or better than the most expensive, like Makeup Forever brand. Less is more and buffing well with a kabuki brush is important but it truly blurs fine lines and gives a beautiful soft natural finish. Love this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

E.L.F.'s Studio High Definition Powder is absolutely one of their best products. I could not believe how much I would fall in love with this white powder. According to the back of the box, it "creates a soft focus, masks fine lines, and makes you camera-ready". Well, believe it all. And believe it for 6 bucks.
The container is the black heavy plastic box that has a screw-on top. It sits nicely on any vanity. Once you take the top off, there is a little powder puff that you can use, but I would recommend E.L.F.'s better Kabuki Brush to buff this powder in after application. The top of the powder contains a plastic top similar to a sifter, where you just have to be careful in allowing so much to come out. Eventually you get the hang of it.
I use the puff to first apply it to my finished face. Yes, I look ghostly when I do this. And I am as fair as Snow White. Then I take my Kabuki and begin to buff the powder into my face. It gives my face a delightful matte finish with a radiance, but very little glow that I find very appealing and natural. It lasts for hours. I don't look like I have powder on at all. As a matter of fact, the white chalkiness is gone, the ghost look has disappeared, and suddenly, my makeup is completed with a professional look. All in minutes for a few dollars.
The powder feels like silk. It's soft. It's not drying at all. It doesn't settle into any fine lines. It doesn't highlight any lines, either. Years ago, Clinique had offered a similar powder to this one and i used it faithfully. I've never found another one that I've liked until I tried this one.
What's amazing about it is that it won't cover up your other make-up or change the color of your skin/make-up/eye make-up, etc., which is what you want. You want a flawless finish powder to set your make-up, not cover it. And that's what this does. I've been using this for over two months now without any problems and there's so much still in the container I expect it to last at least half a year.
Well worth the price. I even took a small amount and put it into another tiny sifter container I had from another brand for my makeup bag for touchups, should I need them. I love the way this powder feels on my skin with its light composition, its texture, the pigmentation is just right and there is absolutely no smell at all.
Another great way to use it is when I am not wearing any type of foundation/BB cream/tinted moisturizer but I want to rid my face of the shine from my moisturizer when I go out on my errands. I use the same technique as above, and the shine is gone and I still have that little glow. I just add some lipstick, and now I have a natural look for the day. I really do love this powder. It's lasting quite some time for me and a little goes a long, long way.
Just a great product from E.L.F.'s better line of products.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No