July 30, 2014 | 1522 users online

Lipstick - Cover Girl - Outlast

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2008 12:52:00 PM More reviews by dmchee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked out shade 592 "Buff" (their lightest shade in their series of nude shades). The colour looked GORGEOUS...for about 1-2 hours. I applied one 'brushfull' over my clean, bare lips and was pleased at the pigmentation; nude lip colours rarely show up over my naturally dark red lips and the clear balm added a nice finishing touch. I applied this at 11am and by about 1pm my lip colour began to crack...literally CRACK so I tried to remedy this by applying more topcoat. By 2pm, the lip colour began to FLAKE so I tried to apply even more topcoat. By 3pm my lips had PATCHES...patches of nude and red..it looked HIDEOUS. DO NOT BUY THIS unless you WANT to spend the afternoon in the ladies washroom SCRATCHING and PEELING off flakey bits of dried lip colour!!! Into the garbage it goes!! I am so disappointed because the colour was sooo beautiful at first...I will likely take the tube to MAC to see if they have a duplicate lip colour.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Katlanta

I love this. I have the number "855", though I think the shade is retired. It's a deep berry shade. It stays all day, minimal flaking. I put a red gloss over it since I ran out of the balm, and I love it even more! Just don't mess up while in application, its a pain to remove mistakes.

About ten dollars, like most drugstore longstays.

I wish the balm was attached to the color like most longstay colors out there.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2008 6:01:00 PM More reviews by jdawes

I love not having to reapply my lipstick all day. Yes, it's true that it's drying but if you reapply the gloss or a lip balm, you can avoid that problem. I purchased this in "Naturalast" and it is a very pretty color if you apply it lightly. If you go crazy with it, it's an icky purplish-brown.

I tried another color recently called Sun-Kissed. This was in the "Neutrals" section of the display. The color swatch suggested a neutral pink. The title suggests a warm pink. HOWEVER, this is bright Pepto-Bismol in a lip color. They should've named it "Sunburned" instead of Sun-Kissed. I hate it, and I'm taking it back.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2008 9:50:00 AM More reviews by RACHJOY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this on a whim at Wal-Mart. It was a sale 2 for 1, but the two colors were packaged together. I cant tell you what colors they are cause it only has number on the tube. Sorry ladies. But I know they were nudes. One is like a light berry color and the other is like a true nude (love it). I never really have been a fan of lipstick as i hate having to reapply, lip gloss is so easy. The first use was to say the least, sloppy. I used the nude color & it looked like paint. BAD! After a few times i have found the perfect application method. Clean , dry lips. Apply the color VERY VERY thin. A little goes a long way. And it must be applied quickly and smoothly. I also find that opening my mouth & stretching my lips gets the color to go on better, into the wrinkles of the lips and staying this way for about thirty seconds after application to allow it to dry. Looks ridiculous but works. I do my bottom lip first, then the first half of my top & so on. If any color is out of place wipe it off immediately or it will stay there all day. After sitting with my mouth open to allow it to dry, I apply the gloss coat. It really does last all day through eating, smoking (I know its horrid), and drinking. I only have to take the gloss in my purse, cause the color is there all day. I don't find the formula drying, & the gloss revives the color. I must say that I am very impressed with this product. I wear the true nude daily & love it. So far my HG. It only gets 4 lippies because I am still a gloss fan at heart. But it is nice not having the gooey gloss on.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by 1TXAZDreamgirl

This is my first review. Thanks to all for your time and opinions. They are so keen, helpful and honest. Let's try to write, proofread, punctuate and spell a little better though to make each writing worthy of such a great website and to favor readers even more with your insight, experience and expertise.

This is my holy grail, go to lipstick. I apply it to clean, dry lips. Nothing gets between my lips and my Cover Girl Outlast! :) It lasts until I take it off with mineral oil on a cotton ball or until I eat something oily. It fills in the lines around my lips like perfectly sanded spackle ready to be painted. It comes in so many lovely shades, although they have changed the colors so much lately that my favorite, Berry Preserve (#556), is not the same. In fact, all of the colors are too similar now within each color range. It also now smells awful, like tawdry, cheap candy or powdered Kool Aide. GAG! They also have changed the formula to make it more glossy or shimmery (in the tube anyway) which defeats the purpose of the product and reduces its wear time. I also wear #553 in Outlast which is Moonlit Mauve (blue cap, the original recipe which is the best and now very hard to find), #556, the new and not as good Berry Preserve, #545 and Naturalist which smells disgusting as mentioned above.

They have added another line too, Smoothwear, which is about the same but not as opaque, has great colors and smells fine. In Smoothwear, I wear Berry Satin #815 and Mauve Spice #885. I do not appreciate these changes to make it more like lip gloss. I do not wear lip gloss because it does not last. Thatís why I love this product that they are now ruining, albeit slowly.

I suspect that some of the negative reviews are due to (1) misuse of the product over the gloss or some other balm and (2) the recent changes to the product. It has to go on clean, bare lips - no exceptions. It is correct, however, that you will cause it to flake if you try to apply more product, or another color, over the dried original shade. It is also true that if you eat anything oily, the lipstick will come off in a flaky fashion. You have to then blot off all of the oil and reapply only to the now uncoated areas.

I will keep buying it until they ruin it completely, which hopefully will not happen. The only comparable product I have found was Max Factorís version, Lipfinity, which I can no longer find at Walgreens, CVS or Ulta. Their website says itís now at Wal-Mart and a Houston grocery store, HEB. How unglamorous is that? Iíll have to research how Max Factor has slipped down so far on the glam ladder. They can afford to hire Giselle though, so things canít be too bad. Maybe she needs to take pay cut so they can get products in more stores. The other new competing types from Revlon and LíOreal are all too sticky and qualify as lip gloss by my standards.

Cover Girl has a good website. Check it out for more product reviews. Everyone else posting to their site that used the original product correctly is lamenting its demise due to lip gloss frenzy concerns and unseemly color changes. Well, I'm off to Wal-Mart or HEB to find my old staple, Infinity. Hopefully, it's unadulterated and as great a product as I remember.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2008 10:10:00 AM More reviews by blueirisjazz

I bought this because I needed a red lipstick, and in the past I've found red lipstick hard to keep in place without feathering or smudging. I cannot remember the name of the shade I got, but it was a true-red color, and quite pretty actually. It looked very nice when I first put it on, but unfortunately it didn't stay like that. I have somewhat dry lips, but not more than usual I don't think, and this started peeling off my lips. I had taken care to use lots of balm and exfoliate my lips the few days before I was going to need it, since I know how important it is to have a smooth canvas when using darker lip color. Even with all of that prep, it dried out my lips, and just started peeling. When I tried to put on more to correct it, but it just made it worse. If you need to be somewhere for only an hour this is probably OK (which is almost never) but otherwise it's NOT good. It starts peeling off, and you really can't fix it. Since it's color stay, it's still hard to get it all off your lips, so if you're out and don't have makeup remover you're kind of up a creek! This *might* be ok for lighter shades, but if you're going for red or another darker shade, you should definitely test-drive this before you wear it to an event. I wouldn't recommend this product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 8:17:00 PM More reviews by VintageAmbition

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What can I say? Its a product I'm surpised havent been discontinued yet. The color flakes and cracks; definitely would not recommend.

P.S. I love the white side though. I wish they sold that seperately.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by girlinto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like nearly half the women here, I was not impressed with my Outlast lipstick.
It's very flaky and it crumbled off my lip unevenly. When those two things happen, it looks like the skin on your lips is flaking off and then it's just a trouble to get it all off especially if you're at work or out shopping and you don't have make up remover to remove it all off properly.
I found that the L'oreal Endless Kissable was the best long wearing lipstick for me. Unfortunately they have discontinued that line in Canada...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2008 2:49:00 PM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really wish there was a "maybe" category for whether you'd buy again or not. I've said that several times in reviews...MUA...perhaps add a "Maybe" category??? CVS had a sale -- BOGF. I bought the Outlast and the Outlast Gloss (another review). The Outlast comes in two's....the color and then a stick of balm. I "think" I bought this in a color called "Blossom"...maybe, that might have been the lipgloss. I would like to be more specific but the bottom of the tube only says "543" and if there's a color name on there, my eyes, plus my reading glasses, couldn't see it. I threw away the box. It's a really pretty mauve color and I have worn this about 3 times this week. What you do is typical with all of these long wearing lippies...you apply, and let dry...do not rub your lips together. I mess with my hair while waiting for the stuff to dry which is within a minute or so. There is ONE thing I like about his and TWO things I don't. The one thing I do like is that this is a very pretty color and it lasts (oh, I guess that's 2 things)...oh yeah, it lasts a good 8 hours. When I get home from work, it takes eye makeup remover to remove it. What I don't like is that by the time I get home from work, I feel an impulse to wipe this from my lips ASAP!!! Yeah, it's drying. The other thing I don't like is the 2 tubes. I mean, come on....other brands have managed to put this in one tube on either end...heck, they do it with their own lip gloss! So, I have to tote the 2 tubes instead of just 1. Even though I am on the fence, I will probably buy again because there's a coupon in the paper for BOGF. I like freebies. :) But, I don't think it's the best lippie I've ever tried, no matter what Queen Latifah says.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by FyrePhoenix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I can't stand this one. Dries my lips out like mad, gets flaky, and, as another reviewer said, crumbly. It's a fight to get the stuff off. The only good thing about this product is the gloss.