September 18, 2014 | 1368 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 4:04:00 AM More reviews by darkmist

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm writing this review after having used the Clarisonic Mia for a bit over two months.

Basics about my skin: combo (oily tzone, normal cheeks), early 20s, mild adult acne (right cheek and chin), facial redness, normal skin thickness - not particularly delicate or thin

First off, I bought this without any expectation of suddenly having perfect clear skin after using this. What I did expect was an electronic brush which would do a better job of cleaning my skin than just my fingers which would then, in theory, make my skin happier since it was getting cleaned properly. So were my expectations met then? Most definitely.

Original major con: When I first brought my Mia home and started charging it, I nearly returned it. When I was charging it, it vibrated/pulsed loudly every single time the light flashed and made a weird "glug" noise. I was beyond irritated and after doing a quick google search, apparently many people have experienced this defect for years which does not bode well for Clarisonic paying attention to customer reviews or complaints. I seriously wanted to return it but the mall was already closed. Fortunately the weird noises and vibrations stopped after around 6 hours (the mia needs a full 24hr charge since it arrives completely drained of batteries) and I've had no problems since. I'm assuming it's a weird thing the Mia does when it's completely depleted.

I started using this once a day at night since I wanted to ease my skin into having a manual brush scrub at it. First time I used the included delicate brush head I was shocked at how rough it felt on my skin! I wasn't pressing down hard but it felt extremely abrasive. After 2 more uses, my skin got used to it and I'm fine now but it might be something those with thin or delicate skin should keep in mind. I wear makeup nearly everyday and I always take off all my makeup first with a cleansing oil before using a liquid cleanser with my Mia. After my first use, I definitely felt that my skin was really clean and removed every last bit of my stubborn sunscreen. My toner and face cream definitely absorbed much more quickly after I started using my Mia.

After around 1.5 weeks, I started using the Mia twice a day. I didn't experience crazy purging but that might be because I already have acne so getting a few more pimples didn't freak me out or seem completely out of the norm. A few niggling cystic pimples lurking in my acne zone (cheek and chin) did finally surface and pop but aside from that, I didn't break out anywhere new. But by week 3, I was surprised to notice one morning that my facial redness has been lessening - while there is some immediate redness after washing my face, it quickly faded and my overall redness has decreased. Also my skin texture is much softer and smoother than it was pre-Mia since I am essentially gently exfoliating twice a day.

Overall I'd have to say my skin has improved since starting with the Mia. My acne has calmed down - my TOM breakouts aren't as large/last as long and my general normal breakouts have reduced to maybe 1-2 spots a week versus ~4/week. However, this is NOT because the Mia is a miracle acne killer! In my opinion, my skin is improving because I'm spending more time cleansing my skin. When I just use my hands, I scrub my face for maybe 15-20 seconds? But with the Mia, since there a minute-long timer, I spend at least 40 seconds longer than normal cleaning my face. Also using a brush definitely helps clean a bit deeper into the skin along with softening it through manual exfoliation.

I'm very happy with my Mia - it was ridiculously expensive at $139 + tax (so around $189CDN total) but if you can get it on sale at Sephora/use a gift card, I think it's money well spent. The charger is great since it's magnetic and has dual voltage so great for travelling. It's not a miracle worker but definitely a great helper. Highly recommend if this is within your budget!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by QueenBee1217

Finally, I was convinced to try Clarisonic. I have been hearing about this for a couple of years but a lot of people swear by it so last night I bought the Mia First (was on sale for $99) at Macy's. So far, my combination skin likes it. Still hoping I wouldn't break out or purge like some do. My flaky skin due to cold weather has somewhat been better and the oiliness is lesser. So I would continue using it. The only reason I gave it 4 lippies is the price.

UPDATE: After a month of using Clarisonic my skin was at the worst condition it could ever be in! I would cry every night, I couldn't take looking at the mirror. But I'm in my almost 3 months of using and my gosh! My skin is less oily, break outs are lesser, scars are fading and blackheads have decreased to 10%! I can't wash my face without this. I would feel incomplete! I use it twice a day. Truly, patience is a virtue. I am sticking to my routine. Cetaphil, Clarisonic, Benzoyl Peroxide and Clinique moisturizer. Clarisonic helped save my skin! I'm in love!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 11:04:00 AM More reviews by Hollykadwill

Amazing love this product, I have suffered from mild acne for years ever since I started secondary school age 12? My skin has changed a lot over the years but I wish I was told sooner about this product.
Before this product I was getting not a massive amount of spots all over but a few very big cystic ones, which would end up leaving a mark! I had large pores on my nose and small black heads I could squeeze on my chin.Overall I had four big spots at the most but very painful.
After using this my face is noticabley more clean, my pores on my nose have minimised durasticly and do not look dark around my nose. The black heads on my chin, have completely cleared (I was washing scrubbing toning my face before and it still wasn't getting all the dirt out)!!
My lump spots have gone (this is after a month of use) I have got the occasional tiny spot but they did say this is always the case when you start using the clarasonic. My skin is so much softer, cleaner, clearer and brighter. So pleased I brought this product even for the money!!
I started on the sensitive brush and am now on the deep pore brush. I eased myself in as I have quite sensitive skin.
I also like the body brush because it helps make your fake tan really even :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by Brae2011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So I actually don't own this product, but am hoping to get one soon. I have mild acne now that I'm in my 20's (it was horrendous for 8 years of my life; I was on Retin-A, Doxycycline, Minocycline, spent thousands of dollars visiting the Dermatologist, you name it I probably did it), but my pores have gradually gotten larger around my T-zone, which has lead to the inevitable blackheads.

So, I've conducted a fair amount of research and have found that this is essentially the Rolls Royce of face cleaning brushes. With that being said, I just want to clarify something: for those of you who have acne (all the way from mild to severe), you are not supposed to use this brush on 'live' acne. In other words, if you have the pustular cystic acne (or anything in those latter developing stages) you're really not supposed to use the brush on your face at all. Acne contains a slue of bacteria, and once the Clarisonic touches those infected nodules, it will break apart the tissue and smear the bacteria all across your face. So, for those of you having break-out problems a couple days after using this, you should be cautious of how much pressure you're applying during application, and how 'bad' your face was prior to cleansing. However, most of this can be avoided if you get yourself an anti-bacterial toner and use immediately after washing your face. I recommend a cheap one, like deep-clean astringent Sea Breeze (usually found at CVS, Walgreens, etc. for no more than $4). Personally, I've had tremendous luck with Aubrey-Organics, specifically the Blue-Green Algae line (the name has actually been discontinued, but has been revamped as the "clarifying therapy toner spray"). Anyways, if you are having these troubles, don't just put the Clarisonic on the back burner; just try to be conscious of how much pressure you're applying to your face, go get yourself a good toner, and remember to moisturize!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by LadyOttawa

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had hoped the Clarsonic Mia would do everything I'd read & heard. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect I had been expecting. It actually increased the oiliness in my T zone as a result of irritation, even with the softest brush. I have a feeling this little machine is great for younger skin. At my age the skin is much thinner than even a 50 something and as a result is more sensitive. I now use it in the shower for my arms & legs.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Annalouise91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hands done the best money I have EVER spent! I love my Clarasonic Mai to death. I'm not even joking when I say that it has changed my life!
Coming into my 20's I started to get painful cystic acne around my chin, along my jawline & neck. I tried every cream and scrub to make it clear up but nothing worked.
I read & watched a lot of reviews and finally bit the bullet. I purchased my Mai from Myer, I believe she was $139 (AUS)
This thing has dramatically changed my skin! Within the first 2 weeks my acne wasn't painful or angry looking anymore. 3 months done the track and I have no acne anymore!!! I do have scarring but that it slowly going away with the help of some good skin care products. I get the occasional pimple, especially around that time of month but it usually clears within a week.
Apart from my acne clearing up I have noticed that I have hardly anymore blackheads & my skin is always smooth and even.
I started off by using it every 2nd night for the first 2 weeks and now use it every night. It did make my skin purge after the first few uses but i believe that is suppose to happen.
Seriously if you are on the fence about getting a Clarasonic, bite the bullet and just buy one like I did. It will change your skin for the better. I can't believe I went so long without one!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

I don't have sensitive skin by any means. I can exfoliate everyday and not get irritated. I thought clarisonic was a good investment for an exfoliating device. Wrong. Everytime I use it, I would get a break out a few days later. I also use the sensitive brush head and that's the most gentle brush there is. After two/ three months of usage with bad results I decided to just put it away. I guess it's not meant for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2013 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Allioa09

I absolutely LOVE my Clarisonic. With that being said, this isn't a life changer. I had an idea in my head when I bought it that I would instantly have perfect, flawless skin. What this does do is give you a very deep clean and leaves your skin smooth and soft. My pores have shrunk a good bit and while I've never really had a problem with break outs, I get them even less frequently now. The biggest thing you need to remember is MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE. For the first week or so, I experienced stinging whenever I would put anything on my face. My face didn't look dried out, but it was super tight and uncomfortable. I put moisturizer on two to three times daily and now my skin has never looked better!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 9:20:00 PM More reviews by trisarahtops1994

I have semi-sensitive and acne prone skin. The clarisonic mia makes my skin so smooth feeling, but it is not a miracle product by any means. I still break out and I still have blemishes fairly frequently but I do love how it makes me skin when its not breaking out. I can only use it once a day before it dries my skin out pretty bad as well. Moisturizing right after is a must. Good but not perfect!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2013 8:31:00 PM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really love the Clarisonic Mia. I have always wanted one and since I wear a full face of make up everyday, I felt as though my skin could really benefit from using it. I have fairly small pores naturally and have never really had bad "problematic" skin but I do break out from wearing make up and I also get cystic acne during that time of the month. Since my pores are small, I feel as though the acne is very deep seeded and even when I use an extractor or I try to pop it, it just gets worse and it is stuck underneath my skin so all it does is create a mountain on my face. I do not wash my face everyday, I use make up wipes to take off all of my make up and I know that is definitely not giving me the deep clean I need when I wear a full face of foundation, concealer, powder, blush n highlighter. I never experienced a "purge" when I used this, and i've had it since June. I also never used it twice a day, every day of the week. The first week I bought it I did use it 4 days and twice a day. I did notice my skin was instantly less greasy and oily and it literally ate up my facial moisturizer in half the time it normally took to sink in. Lately I have been much too busy and lazy to use it more than 2-3 times a week, but I feel as though it's good enough. It's hard enough waking up at 3:30a/4a everyday, I just don't have the time to shower and wash my face every morning. I use Philosophy's "Purity" Cleanser and it works amazing. Even after I use make up wipes and rinse off my face, it's kind of scary to see all of the make up that melts away from underneath your skin. To think I was just falling asleep every night letting all of that bake away! Overall, the condition of my skin hasn't improved dramatically. I don't look like a glowing unicorn and I still have some redness but the texture of my skin HAS improved tremendously. I was born with little bumps on my cheeks n my arms and it has almost gone away. That result alone made the Mia worth the money in my opinion. I also always clean the brush head after each use with my Purity cleanser. I do think using this everyday 2x's a day is too harsh for even the most tolerable skin, but I do think it can be very beneficial.