September 16, 2014 | 1882 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by melo0u3e

When I put it on my lid... it turned grey... and I creased really quickly

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by LashFlashingLeda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My major problem with eyeshadow is immediate fading and creasing. I can't afford expensive primers, so when this was recommended to me I thought I'd give it a go.

In terms of color boosting and intensifying, this is no UDPP. I didn't notice a difference on that front at all. It also makes blending noticeably more difficult for me, meaning my eye routine takes a little longer. I was so irritated by this and the lack of intensifying power that after I used it the first time I was resolved to come here and give this a one rating.

And then I looked in the mirror throughout the day and what to my wondering eyes should appear but completely impeccable shadow. I don't have particularly oily lids so I can't speak for people who have more of a problem in this area for me, but this product is a lifesaver for long wear. I only get the faintest creasing after 9 to 10 hours of wear if I use this first, and since it was only a dollar, well--I'm sold. Despite the application problems this causes (which for all I know is a problem for all primers, I have no idea), I use this all the time now. When even your boyfriend notices your eyeshadow is holding up well you know you're on to a winner. Until I can afford to try something more high-end this has become a vital part of my routine.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by shindee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a very specific review on its effect on one eyeshadow compared to UDPP.

I'm a very simple girl with makeup, especially eyeshadow. My daily look is a smokey eyeshadow-as-eyeliner type of thing. The eyeshadow in question is Estee Lauder in Chocolate -- it's the perfect warm color for my eyes, and it blends beautifully. However, it fades within an hour if it's not on a primer.

Put to the test, the Estee Lauder eyeshadow lasted 3 hours on E.L.F. mineral primer--whereas UDPP let it stay without fading for a good 6+ hours. As much as I wished it did, this product didn't cut it for me :(

rated 4 of 5 on 12/21/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by thekyayu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I adore this primer!!!! It does take a while for it to dry when you put it on, I wait about 1 minute and then I put on my shadows. I find that the colors are really more vibrant and the staying power is amazing with this! The reason I gave this a 4 is because some days I get creasing after it's dry so I have to run my finger over the primer again for the creasing to disappear and some days there is no creasing at all. I really like this primer and I highly recommend, and for the price tag I can get 24 of these for the cost of 1 UDPP!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by everysunflower

For $1, you get .15 OZ of product. Urban Decay's Primer Potion is roughly $24 (CAD) and contains .37 OZ of product. I was pleasantly surprised by how well this E.L.F. primer performed throughout the entire day. Upon my first application, things were looking grim because it caked up in the fine lines on my eyelids immediately. I blended it out and let it set for a couple of minutes. I followed with my eyeshadows and hoped for the best. At the end of the day, my eyeshadows and eyeliners were looking just as nice as they did at the beginning of my day. Don't put too much on as it may cake up. Just a thin layer will suffice. I've always been so faithful to UDPP, but of this $1 bargain continues to impress me then I'll be turning to this instead. I wish this packaging was in a squeeze tube because then I could cut it open and dig out the remaining product like I do with UDPP. (Hey, every little bit counts!)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2011 5:56:00 AM More reviews by p4percut

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have bought tubes of this product multiple times already. Besides just a primer, it also does a bit of brightening and concealing for me. I'm pretty pale, so this matches pretty perfectly to my skin.

As a concealer, it works great. I use it alone and it doesn't crease at all.

As a primer, it's very finicky. There have been days where it doesn't crease at all and days where it creases near the middle of the day. It has something to do with the initial application of the primer, I just probably need to let it set longer.

All in all, this primer works fine for me. If you need your eyeshadows to stay and you don't mind paying a bit more, go for higher end ones.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2011 10:43:00 AM More reviews by BarbItalia

I've been playing around with this product for a long time now. As an e/s base I find it to be satisfactory but not great; I use it fairly often but it's absolutely not my favorite. However, I've found a use for it and it performs fantastically - as an undereye concealer primer!!! A swipe of this on my inner eye corner and beneath my eyes up to my lashline - blend, let dry, then apply concealer. I find my concealer - even those that don't perform very well - go on soooo smoothly, cover better and last all day. I love this under NYX's Concealer Jar, under mineral concealers and heck, now that I've been using a liquid foundation (Rimmel's Lasting Finish), applying this Mineral Eyeshadow Primer under my eyes, even your FOUNDATION covers undereye circles well! I need much less concealer this way! I also dab this on scars and spots so that concealer and/or foundation adheres better to cover them. So I've purchased several tubes for my stash and travel bag. My one complaint is that inevitably the soft tip of the wand splits and the hard pointed plastic tip breaks through - and it's sharp! So I end up swiping the product onto my fingertip and applying it rather than using the want itself. This is so annoying to me!!! But the $3 price and the great performance as a concealer primer makes it a wonderful product. Do try it for this purpose, and I hope you love it as I do!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great eye shadow primer for the price. I have used Sephora brand primer and Urban decays. Works almost as well as the more expensive primers. So for everyday use I use my elf primer. Special occasions I whip out the Urban Decay.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2011 10:34:00 AM More reviews by leilanader

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the Urban Decay Primer Potion but it is too heavy duty and costly for everyday use. I decided to purchase a more natural primer and this one had good ratings. It is so darn cheap, i said what the hell I'll try it. This beyond exceeded my expectations, I have to say it does a good job at keeping the makeup in place all day. However, it is not as good as the UDPP on the long run. I have slept a few times with my makeup and in the morning the makeup had run whereas with UDPP it stays in place overnight. I know this information is meaningless since no sleeps with their makeup but just thought I would say it lasts all day but not 24h. Will definitely repurchase. Good job ELF:)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by janathelamb3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The only primers I have ever tried are this one and ELF's $1 primer. I really couldn't tell much of a difference between the two except this one seems more creamy. This is the only primer I would ever buy. It does it's job and it's $3. It's perfect.