NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

3.7

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethylhexanoin, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Bis-butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, 1-Methyl-Hydantoin-2-imide, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Serralysin, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Glucosyl Hesperidin, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Tocopherol, [may contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides, iron oxides]

on 11/30/2014 3:28:00 PM

I had to join just to write a review on this product.

I bought it as I had seen so much hype about it, and I had been searching for the perfect foundation. My skin is sort of on the combination side, my nose gets a little oily occasionally, but it is also dry and can flake as well. (weird?).

I went to get this stuff and had it tested on me in store. When I saw it on, I thought it was streaky and cakey as hell.. however the make up artist used a paddle brush and I always think they leave stuff looking cakey. So out of politeness and giving the product the benefit of the doubt, I bought it in siberia.

No matter what I do with this stuff, it just looks absolutely disgusting. Its hard to blend, even with your hands it still looks streaky. This stuff will stick to every single dry spot on your face, also, if you have a bit of fair hair on your lip, it will make you look like a man. It clings to everything!! i cannot believe the hype of this stuff, it is absolutely awful!!

ive tried applying with my hands, my sigma f80, real techniques buffing and expert brush.. nada.. nothing can make this stuff work. Ive tried with primer, without, always wash and moisturise my skin before hand. The stuff just makes my skin look even worse then it did before. I would not recommend this to anyone, because i believe even if you do have oily skin, this stuff will find some dryness on your face and show it!!

on 11/30/2014 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My new HG foundation. It takes a lot to wow me with foundation, I've used MAC, Estée Lauder, Laura Mercier, YSL etc. This is a combination of good coverage with a dewy finish, but it's definitely not glowy. It's very hard to explain but it just makes my skin look great! I don't need much concealer and I just feel "polished" . It does need setting with powder but that's the case with most foundation. The lack of pump doesn't bother me in the slightest but I agree that it shouldn't be something you have to pay extra for.

on 11/25/2014 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the worst liquid foundation I've used to date. It hurts to spend that much money and have it not work out.
The texture was strange? I felt I was smearing oil on my face but it was making worse any dry patchy skin. It dries down quite quick and is matte. There was no glow to it.
Far away I think the foundation looks a little nice on the skin, but when you get up close, it's dry, cakey, cracks, bad bad terrible, ugly. It sits on top of the skin awfully and in the pores. I kept using it and trying to make it work. Have now given up. There is not a nice thing to say about the formulation of the foundation. I like the bottle though, it's sleek and pretty to look at.
I have it in deuville, it's not a perfect match but the best match out of the shades available for my nc15-20.

on 11/24/2014 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought the Nars tinted moisturizer over the summer (st moritz) and loved the flawless finish it gave my dry skin. I've been curious to try sheer glow but wanted to wait until my summer tan faded and I got back to my natural color. I researched swatches on makeup alley and Google and figured I was either Punjab or Fiji. I went with Fiji since it was lighter and ordered online during the Sephora VIB sale. For never actually looking at the product in person, Fiji is dead on. It matches my face exactly. Without makeup on, I feel like I'm neutral in tone and slightly olive complected. I get about an NC 42 in the summer. Now that being said, Mac has never been able to match me when I'm lighter. A couple years ago, I was matched to an NW 20 in the studio sculpt and last year, matched to NC 20 in Mineralized Moisture. They both look pinkish when switched with Fiji and they're both much lighter. Neither one is a good match for me. I have extremely dry sensitive skin and have had no issues with this foundation. I use the Too Faced Hangover primer with it for added moisture. With or without a primer, it lasts long after my 9hr workday. I don't set it with a powder. It doesnt move on me and powders always seem to dry my skin out more. I wish it had a "glow" but every foundation I've tried looks completely matte on me once it sets.

on 11/24/2014 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this foundation on a whim, just to see if it would work for my problematic skin. I have a tall order when it comes to foundation and up until this I haven't been completely satisfied with a foundation. My order- I am oily, but I hate the way matte foundations look on my skin. I like my foundation to look like skin/satin finish. I also have hyper pigmentation scaring from acne in the past on my cheeks that is a real concern when wearing makeup. It can either be covered or accentuated depending on the formula. I have to have a smooth finish with my foundation or it's a no go for me. I like for my foundation to last for a long time and to not look oily as the day goes on. I must say in the beginning this foundation didn't quite fit the bill, but I made one little change with this and it's perfect (applying cornstarch with a powder brush underneath the foundation). It applies so smooth and blends beautifully. I absolutely love the finish. I have tried other foundations even after purchasing this one, and I continue to go back to this. Because my skin is oily I do have to put some cornstarch on my face underneath the foundation, a tip I got from a fellow reviewer. I don't mind doing this because it truly helps keep my oils at bay and I can just enjoy the foundation without worrying about that. My favorite way to apply this is with a beauty blender as it gives the most natural finish.

The only draw back for me is...I have to mix 2 of the shades to get a perfect match. This is a pricey foundation so I had to spend nearly $100. But again for me it's worth it considering the graveyard of foundation I have that just doesn't work for me.

on 11/23/2014 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Sheer Glow is a bit of a weird product for me. It's been in my foundation rotation for the last four years or so. Initially, I didn't care for it much but I always come back to it. I suppose that's because in comparison to the other foundations I have at the present, Sheer Glow seems to be the best.

The SA at Sephora did a fantastic job of picking out a shade for me. The shade I've been wearing for years is Stomboli. The shade is actually a perfect match. I've even worn it when I've gotten a little darker in the summer months and it still looks fine. Coverage is pretty good as well. I generally like sheer to medium coverage as anything heavier looks cakey and settles into the weirdest places. It won't completely erase flaws and does very little to cover my purple undereye circles but I think it does an excellent job of evening out my complexion and making me pretty close to having excellent skin. As for the "glow" aspect, I really can't tell. There's no glitter or sparkly bits which I appreciate. I just tend to lean more towards any product that proclaims to be glow-y because even though my skin is naturally tan, I still tend to look sickly without foundation. If you're looking for something that really imparts a glow, I wouldn't recommend this. I think the staying power is also pretty good. I use MAC Prep and Prime primer under this which helps but I've often worn it without primer and the staying power is still great. I also haven't experienced any breakouts using this.

While I do like this foundation, there are some downsides. First, the price. This is $60 which can make you whince but it does last quite a while as only a small amount is needed. As stated, I tend to rotate my makeup out of boredom so my last bottle lasted a good two years. It never broke down, began oxidizing or grew stinky either. Second, this comes in a glass bottle without a pump. That was one of the reasons it initially irritated me because dealing with no pump foundations just gives me the blues. It's one extra step I don't need plus, the mouth of the bottle always gets cakey and covered with product. In fact, the top I had on the last bottle ended up cracking. I don't know if this has always been the case but a few months back, I discovered that NARS sells a pump for this for $6. Sephora is always seemingly out of them but I got lucky and got the last one about six months ago. Having this foundation in pump form makes all the difference to me. It's a bit annoying to pay extra for the pump considering the already high price point but thems the breaks.

Overall, this is a decent foundation. It's pricey and the bottle is a pain without the pump but I think it's a sound investment.

on 11/19/2014 4:21:00 PM

I purchased this foundation to prepare for my wedding makeup. This foundation does not have and SPF and will photograph nicely.I purchased the color Punjab and Ceylan. Punjab is a peachy tan for light-medium skin tone and Ceylan is yellow based similar to nc20 in Mac studio fix fluid. I purchased 2 colors to mix for my perfect shade. I am fair in the winter and tan in the summer. And I wanted to mix my custom shade for my summer wedding. I have worn this foundation for a little over a week to see how it matched, wears, and looks on my skin.
Application: I do not use a primer, I applied the foundation with a damp beauty blender or a stippling brush. I used ambient lighting powder to set. Then spray with fix+ to enhance the glow!
We will start with the cons: on my normal skin this foundation oxidized a bit. In purchasing this foundation I would recommend going a shade lighter. The other con is the packaging. This foundation does not come with a pump, I did purchase my separately from the Nars sight. The bottle can get messy fast without a pump.
On to the pros: once this foundation sets it looks flawless. I mean flawless! This did not enhance my large pores, acne scares, and so on. This evened out my completion and it looked beautiful. Once it sets it is a satin finish. I was able to get 6-8 hours wear before it started to wear off. The shade range it amazing as well.
I would defiantly repurchase this foundation. I recommend for everyone to get a sample and try it out. This may not be a long wearing foundation for combo-oily skin.

on 11/18/2014 4:10:00 AM

I love this product. As other reviewers have mentioned it is sheer to medium, but it is buildable and if I want fuller coverage I simply do two layers. I find a makeup brush really effective as well as the Beauty Blender, both give slightly different finishes but beautiful either way. The Beauty Blender sheers it out more but leaves the skin slightly dewy...also I love to wear a liquid highlighter underneath which really enhances the "glow" to the foundation. I also love the colour range. Even though you have to buy a separate pump for the bottle, it is worth it, and I like that you at least have the option even if it costs extra :)
I am onto my second bottle and I would happily repurchase. It is not my HG foundation, but I don't think I would ever not have this in my makeup collection.

on 11/17/2014 10:37:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

The finish of this is amazing, it makes your skin look glowy and perfect. But as the name suggests-it is sheer. If my skin is acting up and the coverage of this isn't enough, I'll put on another foundation and then use this sort of like a highlighter and it makes my skin look actually perfect.

on 11/17/2014 1:13:00 PM

I have been using this foundation for about 5 months and I can say that I would recommend this to everyone!

If you have oily skin and prefer a matte finish, don't let the name fool you! At first I was a little apprehensive on buying this product because I love having a matte finish. So I first bought the SHEER MATTE foundation by Nars. (I wouldn't recommend that foundation to anyone, it was horrible). So I returned it, and thought, "hey, why not give this one [sheer glow] a go, I've heard great things about it," And I'm so happy I did.
I have combination skin, but its mainly oily. I find that this product holds up and stays in place for the whole day. This foundation keeps me more matte than any other foundation that has promised to keep me "matte and shine free" (all have failed).
I do have some dry patches, and this foundation does an incredible job on not making my dry patches visible and it did not break me out in any way!

The coverage for this foundation is great. What I love about it, is that I can give myself a super light, natural look, while still covering imperfections, and I can give myself high coverage without looking cakey and gross.

This foundation does not come with a pump, but you can buy one for $6 at Nars counters, (my local Sephora doesn't carry pumps in store)

Bottom line is that this foundation is amazing, the price you pay is well worth the quality of the product!

Video Reviews & Tutorials