September 1, 2014 | 2162 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2010 3:55:00 PM More reviews by mochaholic

I love this quad! The colors are gorgeous, and you can really go from day-time-natural to night-time-smokey with this. I still prefer UD e/s, but this is great for travel and when you just need something quick. I find there is some glittery fall-out from the lid and crease colors, and the matte colors are not as creamy and pigmented as I would like, but for the price it is fine. It is fairly long wearing for a d/s e/s, but I always use a primer and I do get some creasing after a couple hours. I'd recommend this and the Chai Latte quad to make-up beginners.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2010 1:15:00 AM More reviews by shyred05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I LOVE this quad! I got this after one of the youtube gurus (hollyannerae) recommended it. The shadows are highly pigmented and easy to work with... Inexpensive (less than 10 cdn at the Superstore) and all shadows are good quality. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2010 9:55:00 PM More reviews by seatube

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

picked this up on sale and read great reviews about the natural smokes so I decided to buy it! once I tried it on, I felt in love with it, very blendable, pigmented! I followed the instructions and got amazing results, the best smokey eyes I have done, so easy... highly recommended for beginners!

I have the same similar colour palette from Bobbi Brown, for some reason I find the Maybelline ones work better (smoother and more pigmented) and of course much cheaper!

I love it! highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2010 6:18:00 PM More reviews by vgirlygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Great quad for a brown smokey eye. I really like the colors-good pigmentation, very blendable and easy to transition from a day to night look with one palette. I like combining Patina and Satin Taupe with this palette too. Some reviewers have noted the lid color is not that pigmented, but I've found that if I put the highlight color all over my lid and then layer the lid color on top it looks really pretty-actually similar to patina. The crease color actually looks good in the outer v if you are looking for a daytime look. I would say the crease color is similar to MAC's Handwritten. Great value.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2010 12:49:00 PM More reviews by LSButtercup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Really good palette for creating a day smoky eye, I'm so much into neutrals right now and I really like it. Not so crazy about the brow bone shade, it doesn't show up very well on my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2010 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I gave into the hype and bought this quad. It is indeed, an excellent everyday smokey eye, but a warning to medium-dark/warm skinned girls like myself - these colors do NOT show up very well if you're darker complected. I really had to work with the taupe shade to get it to show, eventually wetting the eyeshadow to get the color out. The crease and outer corner shades show up fine, but come out a little muddy, again because I'm darker. If you're medium to light, I would say this would work well and the colors would be truer on you. Personally, I won't be repurchasing. I'll keep it just because it's a no-brainer everyday look, and I can reserve my more expensive shadows for special occasions.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by TinkerbellonCrack

Maybelline has wowed me again. I picked this up after everyone in the world raved about it, mostly for the stunning taupe lid color.

The first time I used this quad, I actually had to remove all my makeup and redo my eyes because the colors are SO pigmented! I was using that heavy-handed-"I'm-using-cheap-eyeshadow" application, thinking this drugstore quad would be weak but I was incredibly wrong.

I ended up using the gorgeous taupe the least; it's intensely shimmery on me so definitely not a day color. The darkest shade is extraordinarily smooth and rich. I love the MAC Mulch dupe brown for a crease color. I was exceptionally happy to find a highlight color that wasn't completely hideous. I usually don't even bother with the highlight shades but this cream color is sheer and flattering. I even like to use it as a lid color for day.

The only issue I had with this quad was fallout with the taupe color. I prefer applying that one with my ring finger. This is a great buy if you want a go-to neutral set without breaking the bank. I'm very tempted to buy the rest of the Stylish Smokes quad :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2010 11:56:00 PM More reviews by lye013

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really love this quad! Has nice neutral colours that are perfect for creating that smokey eye. Will need a primer with this as it will crease without one, but other than that, they are really good shadows and nicely pigmented. A great buy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2010 8:21:00 PM More reviews by blog_antagonist

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am a Maybelline Skeptic. I've rarely tried a Maybelline product that I didn't find to be cheap, both in appearance and quality. I bought the Amethyst Smokes quad and was so disgusted with the hard, dry, chalky consistency and poor pigmentation that I threw it in the trash after one use.

But, after reading the reviews I decided to take a leap of faith and give Maybelline one more try with this quad.

I have to admit, the quality is pretty darn good. The shadows are smooth, deeply pigmented and easy to blend. Can it compare to high end shadows? Frankly, no. But this is a drugstore product that delivers good quality at a very affordable price.

However...I will caution warm skinned gals that although this quad appears to be neutral/warm, all the colors apply as some variation of silver/gray. At least they do on me. The crease color, which I thought would be a very, very deep bronze, applied as just a darker variation of the lid color. Now, I have very fair skin and I am definitely warm complected, so maybe on a cool complection, they would apply as warm as they appear in the pan. But on me, they really applied too silvery/cool for my warm complection, and too dark for my fairness.

Still, beautiful colors, good quality and unbeatable price for the right person. Just not me.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2010 8:11:00 PM More reviews by andrea34

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After hearing great reviews for this quad and seeing it in the stores, I finally decided to get it. The color scheme is great, however I didn't like the quality of the shadows. The colors were kind of hard to blend, and were not smooth or long lasting like, say, mac shadows. It took twice as much product to get the color payoff. But it's true you get what you pay for, and this is decent for a drug store palette, but I would rather spend more for better quality.