August 1, 2014 | 1765 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2008 3:22:00 AM More reviews by lil_me

.37 oz for $42.
What was I thinking???!!! And, I had the NERVE to buy 2 (Warm Silk & Warm Sienna).

The ingredients are as follows:
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Bismuth Oxychloride (ah, the culprit! I just hate this stuff!)
Mica
Iron Oxides
Managenese Violet
Boron Nitride
SPF20
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Overall, this is very similar to BE. I hated BE. The colors left me with ugly shades of pink and orange. It is chalky, cakey, shimmery and worst of all, it made my pores look huge. It did nothing in terms of oil control. Can you tell I hate this??

rated 2 of 5 on 8/19/2008 1:50:00 PM More reviews by claudecat

I tried this because a dermatologist told me it was "the only" makeup she thought would work for my skin. I'm having big skin issues right now, so any makeup that is trying to win me over has its work cut out for it, and so far Jane Iredale hasn't done it. I think I would have liked this makeup better when I was younger--it's light and the very-slightly-pearly finish is pretty, but now it doesn't provide enough coverage, looks dry, and comes off too easily. Plus, I'm not convinced it's as gentle as advertised--my skin feels a bit tight and irritated when I'm wearing this stuff, and I notice it has a few non-natural ingredients like boron nitride (they've removed the bismuth, though). For the price, it doesn't seem worth it--there are a lot of other mineral makeups out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2008 1:27:00 AM More reviews by jaya_1981

I love this product! It makes my skin glow and Suntan is the perfect shade for me. It has a nice shimmer through it- not glitter tho, so it gives you a nice glow. Its so easy to apply and I find I don't have to buff it like other mineral foundations.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by glendonwyne

My first MMU was Bare Minerals, but I decided to refill with Jane Iredale because I thought JI might be able to match my skin tone better as it comes in more shades. I knew I was taking a huge risk since I couldn't find it in person/order samples anywhere so had to order online without trying it for shade match/quality first. I learned my lesson the hard way - I will never do that again. I got the Amazing Base in Ivory and missed my Bare Minerals from Day 1. No matter how much JI I use and/or how I apply, it never covers anything or blends into my skin the way BM does. It just sits on top like a cheap powder, maximizing imperfections and letting the red still show through. It feels much less silky and more talc-like than the BM, and even rubbing it between my fingers I can see that it settles into cracks rather than blending. People, trust me: get Bare Minerals instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2008 12:11:00 PM More reviews by kleigh01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product!! It is one of my favs!! I bought it at http://www.agelessapple.com and I recieved it with in 3 days!! It has helped my skin so much. In fact, the whole line has made a huge difference in my skin!! It is so much clearer.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Jessica84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have extremely oily skin and have always liked the idea of mineral make-up, but it doesn't really work for me. After doing a lot of research on the Jane Iredale products that would be "perfect" for my skin, I splurged and spent a bunch of money that I didn't have to spend. This foundation covers ok, but nothing great. It wipes off pretty easy and within about a 1/2 hour to an hour my face is so greasy it looks like I sprayed it with Pam. I even used the Absence that was recommended to me. Jane Iredale is so expensive, you can deffinitely find other mineral make-up for a fraction of the price that is higher quality. Jane Iredale claims to have products that are good for sensitive skin, however the make-up contains bismuth which is very irritating to a lot of people. I switched to Everyday Minerals after Jane Iredale and it is soooooooooooooo much better, and way cheaper. Plus it is completely all-natural and organic. It also keeps my skin less oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2008 1:02:00 AM More reviews by celadongreen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried a lot of foundation products, both liquid and powder (loose and pressed), but this is one of the best so far. I have oily skin that is very sensitive; this product, not only keeps me shine-free longer than most, it doesn't cause me to break out. It gives natural-looking coverage. I have received many compliments since I've started using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2008 11:57:00 PM More reviews by sssculley

Absolutely Amazing! Can buy at www.AgelessApple.com with 120% price protection and free shipping on orders of $100 or more. Also a portion of profits go to animals in need and AgelessApple.com only supports cruelty free products. My face is completely clear since I started using this skincare makeup. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 9:15:00 PM More reviews by searching4thebest

This is my favorite mineral makeup. I think that the colors are better, the minerals go on less "powdery" and it has better coverage than others I've tried. I've been using it for 5 years. I understand that plastic surgeons recommend it for post-surgery patients.

I have tried the newer drugstore mineral foundations as well, like Jane and Physician's Formula, also Avon, Aromaleigh (from their website). Jane Iredale seems to be a better quality, so I'm resigned to the price. You can find it on eBay for less than the list price, and I would recommend the Amazing Base for everyday use, and the compact one only for your purse.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 7:43:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was about to give up on this. While the texture is nice and the coverage is buildable (you can go sheer or add layers for more coverage), I found that the color my esthetician had selected (Amber) made me look streaky and orange-y, like I'd had a bad experience with self-tanner. I didn't want to give up; this was otherwise a good product.

Fortunately for me, there's a JI distributor in our local mall. The MUA there tried another, more yellow-ish shade on me (Warm Sienna) and the color match was muuuuuch better--I couldn't believe how natural it looked! It really looked like I wasn't wearing any makeup at all, and it didn't feel like I was wearing it, either. THIS was what I'd been hoping to find.

Applying it is easy. While I've heard good things and read good reviews about the Handi brush, my beloved MAC #187 works well with Amazing Base. You can layer this for more coverage and still not get a "cakey" look.

It's worth tracking this down. Definitely go in person to find a color match; that seemed to be a difficult task. There are deals on eBay and online for this, so once you've found a match, you're bound to find it for less on the net. I'm very glad that I didn't swap this and found a color that works! This is not cheap, but worth it.