October 31, 2014 | 859 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by barberree

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

great product! i noticed a difference after just a few days of using it once a day. it made my skin look plumper, more even, and rosier. i've only been using it for a few weeks, and am excited to see what's in store with longer use. the only thing that sucks is the ridiculous jar format. we all know the reasons why. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by apowerfulbeat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a travel-size jar as part of a gift and I don't think I would've purchased this on my own. It does moisturize and soften skin but it's nothing special, certainly not for the price of the full-sized jar. It doesn't do anything different than any other moisturizer. The smell is off-putting (I think it smells like a dog) but it eventually goes away.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by lilyjules

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had such high "hopes" for this as it is such a cult product. However, I did not like it at all. I use mostly unscented products, so am used to not having makeup or lotions that smell like flowers or lovely things (hello clinique!), however, the scent of this made me feel ill as it was SO strong and lingered. It also lingered on my hands despite washing them multiple times. The best I can describe it is similar to hair dye in a salon. My eyes also started burning and tearing after I put it on my face, and I did NOT put the cream anywhere near my eyes! I had to flush them out. Not sure what caused this but haven't experienced that before... The consistency was strange (gel? cream? lotion?), but that isn't really an issue just something I wasn't expecting. Once the cream sank into my face (took about 30 min's) it felt lovely though. Shame about the burning eyes and scent :(.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Riknows

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After seeing this as one of Oprah's "Favorite Things" I ran out immediately and bought the largest size. It was o.k.. Nothing special. I think there are much cheaper products sitting ion drug store shelves that work just as well.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by caligirl80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

No hope here. Bought a travel size container at Sephora. I didn't mind the Lavender scent but some might. After using it for several weeks I found no difference on skin texture. No clarity, brightness, smoothness, nothing. Ill only use it at night as my face is oily and my makeup will melt off if I use it as a day cream.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by rose313

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As much as I loved the way it smelled and felt, there are so many less expensive options that do the same thing, if not more. It smelled somewhat like lavender and was very calming and felt great, not too thick and not too greasy. As a cheaper alternative, I'd recommend Sephora brand Instant Moisturizer which doesn't smell as nice (it's unscented but I still smell a little goodness in it) but works just as well and is 20 for a large can, which lasts me a long time with daily use. The same size of Hope in a Jar would probably cost me 50 or more.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/11/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by lizo4ka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm very glad I bought this in a smaller size, because I didn't like it much. The smell wasn't that bothersome to me, though it wasn't fabulous either. My real issue was that I did not like the way it covered. It took a lot of the moisturizer to cover my entire face. It wasn't too harsh on my extremely sensitive and acne prone skin, but it didn't seem to help it either.

Overall, it wasn't worth the money and I'll be looking for something else. Try it though, you may like it. By somehow it's reeeeeally popular... so you might be in the majority!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2013 9:11:00 PM More reviews by FieryHairAndAttitude

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I actually do like this moisturizer, but it isn't my favorite. The smell is nice, and so is the consistency. It's good-ish at hydrating. But this kinda sits on the surface of your skin and sometimes it rolls (balls up on your face). I also feel like I had to use a lot. On really humid days, this makes your skin look weird ( I don't know why). It's a pretty good moisturizer though, I kind of like it. I would recommend this to someone with mild to moderate sensitive skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by Luv4mkup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Buyer beware!!! There is a notable difference between Hope in a Jar (original) and Hope in a Jar (high performance). The high performance formula is not as oily and smells similar but lighter than the original formula. I love the high performance. Hated the original.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by StefyD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have a love hate relationship with this product as I have been using it off and on for the past 7 years. The consistency is great and it's a simple moisturizer. The smell doesn't bother me but I can see how it can irritate those sensitive to smell. I love what this does to my skin it makes it so luminous and young looking. However, there are some drawbacks it tends to be greasy which is why I can only use it at night, not a good morning moisturizer as it sit on this skin. It does a great job of moisturizing but I've noticed over the years my skin has become more irritated by it and I do believe it's because of a formula change. It's seems thinner and more chemically than in the past. The natural acids are what give your skin that amazing glow but it's also what make my skin burn and sting. I think I finally need to move on to a gentler moisturizer.