September 2, 2014 | 1635 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one - I really don't understand AT ALL how this moisturiser has developed such a cult status in the beauty world when it basically smells like something crawled into the pot, curled up and died! It's a truly awful smell and is entirely the reason why I will never use this moisturiser again. EVER!

It's difficult to describe just how unpleasant this smells, but for the purposes of this review I'll give it my best shot. To me this smells like a mixture of baby sick and rancid milk with a dash of lavendar essential oil, all mixed into a little jar which has then had the top firmly screwed on so the smell could mature. Like cheese. And the worst thing? Once it's on your skin it lingers. All day. I made the (huge) mistake of using this one morning and spent the rest of the day at work catching whiffs of it every time I moved, making me worried that my colleagues could also smell it and would wonder what was wrong with me!

Smell aside though, I saw no visible differences to my skin whilst using this. And given it's an award winning moisturiser I would have expected to see something. It's pricey too, coming in at 10GBP for a tiny 15ml before rocketing up to a whopping 34GBP for a 60ml jar. Luckily I got a trial size version as a freebie with some Philosophy shower gel, so didn't feel too bad when I stopped using it.

Ladies, PLEASE don't waste your money on this. Seriously, it's not worth it and your nostrils will thank you for it. There are other moisturisers out there that do just as a good a job, if not better and at a fraction of the price.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by UkraineRose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I normally use the hope in a jar for dry skin, but I felt like it was too heavy for summer, so my mom bought me this one. One word-HIVES!!!! Terrible itchy hives, all over my face, the day before a flipping REGENTS at school. Sent it back. Take it from me- if you have sensitive skin, DO NOT USE.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by lucyzta

I purchased a travel sized jar of this from sephora for $15. Oh my goodness it smells DISGUSTING. I felt so hideous putting it on because it smelled so bad. I didn't want my boyfriend to kiss me with it on! I only wore it at night because there is no SPF in the version I purchased (I believe that philosophy released a version with SPF). The smell alone was enough to put me off forever. I have used other philosophy lotions that don't smell nearly as bad.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by duarteda1387

I will NEVER repurchase this item again. It smells absolutely disgusting!!! I am not a fan of burnt plastic so if you are then this is the product for you. Becuz of the smell I never really got to experience the full effects of the cream because i immediately washed it off my face. I gave the packaging 3 stars only becuz its a normal package nothing special but nothing horrid.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 1:43:00 AM More reviews by zrwr00

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I gave this the full price because it is over priced. The packaging is horrible and cheap.the smell isn't that bad it burns my eyes though and gives my mouth a funny taste blech.it did nothing but irritate my skin. I would rather by the 20 dollar jar of sephora moisturizer that works better has better packaging and is cheaper so disapointed

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by yoyolanda

This moisturizer over time will give your skin a smooth, polished look. But yes, the smell does take some time to get used to. I definitely wouldn't wear it alone.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by KALY

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Had heard some hype about the Philosophy line but never used it until I recently received a gift which included this "Hope In A Jar" moisturizer along with "Hope In A Jar Night" moisturizer and the " Purity Cleanser". Agree with the poor (hygiene) packaging but gave all items a try. Very "different" fragrances and weird consistencies but stuck with the regimen per some good reviewer comments. Within a couple of weeks or so I started developing boil - like blemishes deep within the skin - which I had not experienced since pre-puberty, followed by a general bumpiness all over the areas where creams were applied. I then tried eliminating each one over time to find the culprit. The day and night creams were DEFINITELY the main offenders. I allowed my face to completely clear before trying the "Hope In A Jar" day cream by itself and my skin started to break out again. Same experience when the night cream was isolated. The Purity cleanser when used alone even caused issues after a while and felt harsh and chemical on my skin. I feel these products are not worth the marketing hype.
Retuned to my gentle cleanser and moisturizers and my skin is clear and happy again!

UPDATE: recently read an independent research/watchdog site to protect consumers from false claims and also gives the facts about product ingredients on our skin. The "Hope" creams were given poor to average ratings and also did not contain all ingredients claimed, but more importantly contained ingredients that are likely to cause irritation. The cleanser had a POOR rating for containing harsh fragrances and chemicals that strip essential oils in our skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Shauneexo

I'm in love with this stuff. I hear a lot of complaints about the smell, but I don't mind it. Especially because it is so fabulous for my skin. It keeps my acne prone skin balanced. I have not had a single pimple since I began using this a couple months ago. I have zero flaking and zero overproduction of oil when using this. My skin looks so rosy and healthy!!!! I love that it comes in a jar. The jar makes it easy to know when I'm running low. So convenient. It's quite pricey, but completely worth it. Seriously, I don't get all of the bad reviews. But all skin is different.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 2:04:00 AM More reviews by blondebum

This moisturizer receives negative reviews because of the fragrance and the consistency. I happen to not mind the smell and the consistency of the lotion. I have used this moisturizer on and off for a few years now and keep coming back to it. I like to use this when my skin is extremely dry to the point where it actually is cracked and hurts (yes, this really does happen during the winter). I do not use this as much during the summer because it is such a heavy moisturizer but it does feel very nice on sunburns. I think hope in a jar is worth a try and from what i've heard it works for most and disappoints a few.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2013 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Addictedcreams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ladies this has been the Ultimate Worst facial moisturizer that I had the misfortune of using it at my face! And trust me I had my share of bad moisturizer but like this I had never encountered! First the packaging gives a cheap vibe and its too overpriced for a product that is not even high end, and most importantly it made my face break out in 1 day! Imagine 24 hours after applying and my face is filled with big red bumps and under-skin pimples! And my skin is not even acne prone! I have dry/combination skin so normally for me a bad day would be my skin would dry out not be filled with bumps!! So I think philosophy should really be more honest about their claims for this cream! and not sell false lies!