September 22, 2014 | 1824 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2013 9:11:00 PM More reviews by FieryHairAndAttitude

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I actually do like this moisturizer, but it isn't my favorite. The smell is nice, and so is the consistency. It's good-ish at hydrating. But this kinda sits on the surface of your skin and sometimes it rolls (balls up on your face). I also feel like I had to use a lot. On really humid days, this makes your skin look weird ( I don't know why). It's a pretty good moisturizer though, I kind of like it. I would recommend this to someone with mild to moderate sensitive skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by Luv4mkup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Buyer beware!!! There is a notable difference between Hope in a Jar (original) and Hope in a Jar (high performance). The high performance formula is not as oily and smells similar but lighter than the original formula. I love the high performance. Hated the original.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by StefyD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have a love hate relationship with this product as I have been using it off and on for the past 7 years. The consistency is great and it's a simple moisturizer. The smell doesn't bother me but I can see how it can irritate those sensitive to smell. I love what this does to my skin it makes it so luminous and young looking. However, there are some drawbacks it tends to be greasy which is why I can only use it at night, not a good morning moisturizer as it sit on this skin. It does a great job of moisturizing but I've noticed over the years my skin has become more irritated by it and I do believe it's because of a formula change. It's seems thinner and more chemically than in the past. The natural acids are what give your skin that amazing glow but it's also what make my skin burn and sting. I think I finally need to move on to a gentler moisturizer.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by llyrek

Quite a basic moisturizer. Skin around forehead and cheeks felt dry by midday (which is strange since I've got combination skin). Feel the Nivea Pure and Natural does a better job with less cost.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by TurtleMoon

I'm not going to beat around the bush on this one - I really don't understand AT ALL how this moisturiser has developed such a cult status in the beauty world when it basically smells like something crawled into the pot, curled up and died! It's a truly awful smell and is entirely the reason why I will never use this moisturiser again. EVER!

It's difficult to describe just how unpleasant this smells, but for the purposes of this review I'll give it my best shot. To me this smells like a mixture of baby sick and rancid milk with a dash of lavendar essential oil, all mixed into a little jar which has then had the top firmly screwed on so the smell could mature. Like cheese. And the worst thing? Once it's on your skin it lingers. All day. I made the (huge) mistake of using this one morning and spent the rest of the day at work catching whiffs of it every time I moved, making me worried that my colleagues could also smell it and would wonder what was wrong with me!

Smell aside though, I saw no visible differences to my skin whilst using this. And given it's an award winning moisturiser I would have expected to see something. It's pricey too, coming in at 10GBP for a tiny 15ml before rocketing up to a whopping 34GBP for a 60ml jar. Luckily I got a trial size version as a freebie with some Philosophy shower gel, so didn't feel too bad when I stopped using it.

Ladies, PLEASE don't waste your money on this. Seriously, it's not worth it and your nostrils will thank you for it. There are other moisturisers out there that do just as a good a job, if not better and at a fraction of the price.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by UkraineRose

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I normally use the hope in a jar for dry skin, but I felt like it was too heavy for summer, so my mom bought me this one. One word-HIVES!!!! Terrible itchy hives, all over my face, the day before a flipping REGENTS at school. Sent it back. Take it from me- if you have sensitive skin, DO NOT USE.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by lucyzta

I purchased a travel sized jar of this from sephora for $15. Oh my goodness it smells DISGUSTING. I felt so hideous putting it on because it smelled so bad. I didn't want my boyfriend to kiss me with it on! I only wore it at night because there is no SPF in the version I purchased (I believe that philosophy released a version with SPF). The smell alone was enough to put me off forever. I have used other philosophy lotions that don't smell nearly as bad.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 11:10:00 AM More reviews by duarteda1387

I will NEVER repurchase this item again. It smells absolutely disgusting!!! I am not a fan of burnt plastic so if you are then this is the product for you. Becuz of the smell I never really got to experience the full effects of the cream because i immediately washed it off my face. I gave the packaging 3 stars only becuz its a normal package nothing special but nothing horrid.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 1:43:00 AM More reviews by zrwr00

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I gave this the full price because it is over priced. The packaging is horrible and cheap.the smell isn't that bad it burns my eyes though and gives my mouth a funny taste blech.it did nothing but irritate my skin. I would rather by the 20 dollar jar of sephora moisturizer that works better has better packaging and is cheaper so disapointed

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 5:29:00 PM More reviews by yoyolanda

This moisturizer over time will give your skin a smooth, polished look. But yes, the smell does take some time to get used to. I definitely wouldn't wear it alone.