October 20, 2014 | 1490 users online

Powder - Lancome - Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2011 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Jessiebanana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I really like this powder. The reason I give it 4 and not 5 is because it has a very strong fragrance. If the fragrance free version came in all the colors I would be happy to change my score Lancome =).

Onto the powder itself. I think this powder foundation is best suited to dry to combo skin. I say this because it isn't oil controlling. It's a soft matte/satin finish, but it doesn't absorb anything. After a few minutes I look luminous, in a non dewy way, and I have dry skin. I've only used it dry, as I bought it only to use as a powder, and dry it goes on light to medium coverage with a kabuki or sponge. My favorite brush to use with it is the Sephora Platinum #55. It's completely non cakey, no matter how much you build it with a brush and your skin just looks effortlessly natural. It has a soft focus effect that makes up for the lower coverage by blurring the imperfections.

This foundation actually ends up being fairly cheap for a HE foundation as you get 19g of product, which is quite a bit more than other brands. Also a powder foundation that doesn't emphasize flakes and looks good on dry skin is worth it. The packaging is sleek and sophisticated and despite being a powder this foundation comes in a wide range of shades, even for women of color.

FYI I don't use the puff/sponge it comes with it, but if you did I would save the plastic tray insert so you can have a way of keeping the applicator away from the product.

***Edit*** I can achieve the same, actually better results, with MAC Careblend and the powder is even more neutral and a better color match for my skin. Ultimately I found the fragrance a bit irritating to my skin and nose so I switched to another product and took off another star.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2011 7:11:00 PM More reviews by paulinawatson

this product is very bad as a powder foundation, the finish is really cakey and patchy and it lasts like literally two minutes, although it works good as a powder because its not very pigmented and is lightweight, which is what i use it now as. in general i've seen better drugstore powder foundations than this

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After much trying and erroring, feelings of a hopeful "Maybe?" grew to a resounding "No" and a lower rating for my former favorite powder foundation and long-time flame, Dual Finish. I just can't get it to work or look the way I want regardless of how I apply it anymore; brush, sponge, puff, wet, dry, primer or no primer, it's still the same flat, cakey, patchy look on my skin that makes me look haggard :( so sad. I used this for years and loved it, but apparently my skin has changed (read: gotten drier and thus in need of a softer finish) and this stayed the same.

It would be great for gals oilier than I am, if they want a really matte finish with good long-lasting coverage. It is just too pricey for me just to keep as a blot powder but is such a gorgeous compact I loathe to part with it. However, it isn't worth keeping for that reason because it's not refillable. I get the same type of compact with my Lancome Photogenic Luminessence pressed powder (which they dc'd online but still have at counters, great for those Macy's GWPs!) Photogenic is geared more for my skintype than Dual Finish so sadly, our love affair has to end. Seems I have better luck with lower-end powder foundations than I do with a lot of the HE ones I've tried lately for some reason (Milani, CG, Maybelline and PF come to mind). Oh well. I guess if you don't have cantankerous dry skin like I do, give this a shot. Be aware it is strongly fragranced though, or opt for the Frag-Free version. I liked the scent, but it does dissipate fast if you aren't a fan, however.

Luckily, Lancome's liquid foundations are still among the best for me so I'll stick with those, but find my powders elsewhere in the Lancome line (Photogenic) or in another brand, at least until they come out with a powder foundation that acts the opposite of Dual Finish for my needs (i.e., a soft focus moisturizing, rather than drying, compact powder with medium coverage) so I can come back to the Lancome fold. I don't know if what I want from them, or anyone, is even possible but a gal can dream right?
continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2011 3:07:00 PM More reviews by buggarod

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am very pleased with this product. I use it dry with powder puff and brush. It is lightweight like it says. Does NOT settle in lines. It is very similar to Mac's studio fix in terms of coverage, but Lancome beats studio fix in terms of lightweight feeling, does not cake when used dry. I have extremely sensitive skin; I cannot put anything on my face without breaking out, I have done many trial and error to find products that work with my skin. I have not broken out with this product. Right now it is 100 degrees and muggy. This product controls shine real well and I have oily skin. Many people have commented on the scent, I find it pleasant and do not smell it when its on my face. My husband likes the scent and often snuggles me just to get a whiff of my face. I tried this product with a wet sponge as directed, it does give more coverage, but the color also goes on darker. I suggest trying this product wet at the counter because you may have to purchase a lighter color if you plan on using it wet all the time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2011 2:52:00 PM More reviews by kramer

Am close to 60 years old and have never, ever, let the house without wearing moisturiver, foundation, blush, etc. (I'm in the public eye). SA at Nordstrom pursuaded me to try this powder and I am absolutely astounded at the wonderful dewy finish it imparts to my face! Imperfections disappeared, skintone evened out, pores disappeared, too! I'm in Southern Carlifornia by the beach and even with high humidity, the powder does not cake nor disappear after a 10-hour workday. I look as fresh and pulled together at 6 PM as I ndid at 5 AM - what an incredible product! Goodbye pricey foundations - Lancome, where have you been all my life?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by furnando

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I love this powder foundation, I don't know what it has but it simply makes you look glowing and flawless! This stuff really does not cake whatsoever, nor does it look powdery. The scent is a bit strong, but it fades once applied. I like this better than my Studio Fix Powder, because it doesn't feel heavy or make me breakout. The finish to this is really what I love, its gorgeous, I'm not sure about coverage, I'd say sheer to slightly medium, if built up. I heard it can also be wet to become a fuller coverage foundation, so its very versatile.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 12:10:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this powder foundation. I used this years ago, but found it so pricey that I stopped. I now realize how much product you get for the price, so I have switched back to it. I dust this on in the morning with a powder brush and it stays all day. It evens out my skintone, covers redness, and doesn't look cakey/dry, which is everything I want in a powder foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2011 9:23:00 AM More reviews by AnnaBond

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I had been using this powder for 3 years....love love love:) Highly recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Blondie4445

I had been using MAC studio fix for years. I always notice in pictures or sometimes after work my face just looked blah... so I mentioned it to the MAC SA and she told me that Studio Fix has something in it that will make my face look white in photos and that might be why it look white or washed out in photos. She said I should try the mineral powder, so I did. I was not happy with the mineral powder. So I went to try Lancome's Dual Finish and I am so glad I did. This powder is awesome! I wear it over my Laura Mercier liquid foundation as a setting powder and my makeup looks great all day. I had to go stand outside at a baseball game last week when it was 98 degrees outside and I was sweating but my makeup still looked good after the game, I just touched up a little with my powder and I was good to go. I would recommend this powder to anyone who is looking for a nice powder that looks good no matter what! It is pricey but it lasts for a long time and it also has a light smell to it, it's not bad though and you cannot smell it once it is on your face.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by makeupmonster88

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is AMAZING. I had been using liquid foundations, but this gives me perfect, long-lasting coverage! It can be used wet or dry, I usually use it dry. I combine this product with Smashbox Photo Finish Primer & Benefit coverup and I get a flawless look. I would DEFINITELY buy this again, but I won't have too for awhile because this product lasts for a REALLY long time and trust me, I use a lot. The only downside is that the packaging can get a little messy, and by the end of school I have to re-apply.
I would totally recommend this. :)