December 18, 2014 | 973 users online

Mascara - Make Up For Ever - Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by xfhxcsx

This mascara is the most amazing mascara I've ever tried. It's the only high end mascara I've ever found that I've ever considered rebuying. I'm usually someone who has always preferred drugstore over high end when it comes to mascaras, but this is easily my favorite mascara I've ever used. It's a wetter formula which I prefer, and it makes your lashes perfectly long and thick, and when this mascara says black, it really means black. I have nothing bad to say about this mascara, which of course is why it's my favorite.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2011 4:01:00 AM More reviews by juicycouturee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

absolutely my new favorite mascara of all time!! It volumizes and lengthens at the same time. only downside to it is it dries up so fast for the price of it. Ive repurchased already but decided to try something cheaper like MAC and i wish i just sticked to this.so worth the money

rated 2 of 5 on 6/24/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by uglybeautiful

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara is MUFE's equivalent to L'Oréal's Voluminous: I can guarantee you that after cleaning them and setting them both lovingly side by side on my desk, both brushes were almost identical. However, L'Oréal's mascara didn't actually invent anything either so basically what you get with both products is a big dense brush with lots of bristles.
I bought my first Smoky Lash with the infamous kit with the HD powder and the pencil a couple of years ago. Since the brush is quite big, you must be careful when applying it, even more so if your eyes aren't that big or if your eyelashes are short. With a little bit of patience and a steady hand, I would get lashes that were pitch black, thick and luxurious. I did notice a tendency to smear a little which didn't bother me that much in the winter months but that was a bit of a pain in the warmer part of the year.
The problem with this mascara is the formulation because it dries up in the tube far too quickly. If there is nothing wrong with the packaging (and there isn't), if it closes tightly and no air goes in, then there must be something wrong with the formula because it dries up too fast. Ok, you are are supposed to discard your mascara after 3 months but honestly I don't always do that and I have gone into my fourth month (and fifth...) of use and nothing has happened. Still with Smoky Lash, I HAD to throw it away because it was almost unuseable, cumply and just completely dry.
Makeup is already a luxury and I cannot afford to shell out the nearly USD 30 this mascara costs here in Spain. I did it three times in less than nine months and it was enough. Trust me, you can always keep the wand and use it with a different mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2011 9:27:00 PM More reviews by plmcdreamy

This mascara is fabulous if applied correctly. I used to do just a basic wiggle at the roots with lots of strokes to thicken out the ends. That can work well with some mascaras for me, but this one tends to really clump at the ends if it is applied that way. I was not the hugest fan of this mascara at first, but when I started applying it differently, it started looking AMAZING. What I do is start at the roots and slightly twirl the wand away from the lashes while still latched at the roots. That gives it a good hold on the roots. Then I give it a little massage at the roots and quickly swipe out and move on to more of the roots. This gives the lash line a much thicker appearance. Then I go back to the roots and jiggle one more time and this time swipe out and feather out the ends to coat all the lashes. When done taking a little bit of time, the lashes can look great because this mascara is such a deep black. Definitely not a foolproof mascara, but worth it if you're willing to take a little extra time! Overall, a fabulous product.
Another little warning: the bristles of the brush can feel a little bit jagged or hard when touched to the skin of the eyelid, so please try to avoid that!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/14/2011 9:10:00 AM More reviews by rockstar00

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara was fabulous for such a short time before it went dry, clumping and just horrible to work with. Typically, I only use my mascaras for 3mos then I toss them. This mascara dried up in about a 6 weeks, 45-50 days of everyday use. I loved the mascara for the first month or so. It is the perfect black pigment, and the volume is a wonderful wow factor but it dries out imho too quickly for the rather pricey tag.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2011 10:40:00 PM More reviews by Inyoung

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me start off by saying that I am not a mascara loving gal. In fact, I avoid mascara, I find it to be so time-consuming when it comes to taking it off. So...I don't like to wear mascara.

I obtained this mascara with a kit that included the infamous HD powder and was super excited. At this point I was not very familiar with MUFE but was excited to give the brand a shot!

Unfortunately, despite all the rave reviews, this is another product that I do not like one bit. I have medium to long sized lashes, but this mascara made them super clumpy and flaky! I felt this weight on my lashes and UGH, I only applied two coats max. I will agree that it is very black but I don't like anything else. I only used it three times and tossed it, definitely not for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by retrotrash82

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This mascara gives me full, dark, defined lashes-- when I use it, my lashes are longer, and appear more voluminous. At first, I found it clumpy, but I wiped a bit off the brush with a tissue, and application was a breeze from then on. The price is on the higher end, but not as expensive as say, Dior, Chanel, or YSL. I really loved this mascara, but I had to take off several lippies because I feel that this wrecked my lashes. During the time that I used this, my lashes were brittle, and I noticed that I was losing quite a few during removal, around 3 to 4 at a time. I tried tweaking my removal methods, using Sens Eyes, olive oil, Bi-Facil, and so on, but my lashes did not improve until after I discontinued daily use. It's a shame, because this was a really wonderful mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 4:59:00 PM More reviews by valentinekisses

This is a really great mascara. I was a Dior DiorShow Mascara user for the longest time, swearing nothing was better... until Make Up For Ever's Smoky Lash!

My natural lashes are pretty long and full on their own, so a mascara has to really be special to give my lashes that va-va-voom look that I love. This mascara proved to be awesome!

I love the rich black color it gives my lashes, it's clump-free formula (although towards the end of the 3 month mark it does get a bit clumpy, but nothing awful) and I love how my lashes look when I wear it.

Even though this is the non waterproof version I still don't have any issues with this mascara, even on long, hot and sweaty days at the amusement park.

I'd highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by MissRivett

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've always wanted to try this mascara, but never wanted to spend $22 on it. Finally, I got a sample size of this mascara and am shocked I've lived without it for so long. I've never had a mascara I truly loved, and feel that has finally changed. I bought the Lash Stash sampler set for Mother's day and snatched this one from my mom. I have very thin, straight lashes that have the hardest time staying curled. This mascara curls them and gives volume without any serious clumping. I pair this with the Blinc heated lash curler and my lashes have never looked so great.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 1:38:00 PM More reviews by sarah71390

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I received a deluxe sample size of this when I purchased my Sephora Last Stash Set. I love this MUFE mascara! I have new tried anything from this brand before b/c it is so expensive, but I will definitely repurchase this when I finish up my mascaras. It gives me great results with just one coat!