Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 2/10/2013 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

My skin looked the best it has in YEARS,i even thought it was time to buy a tinted moisturizer because my old acne scars had lightened so much..i decided to try baking soda as a scrub because of all the fab reviews,how could i go wrong?.. the next day i broke out ALL over,it was like my skin was punishing me!! Now im back to looking crazy..geesh..i guess its my fault for trying new things..

on 1/31/2013 2:33:00 AM

If you have sensitive skin stay as far from it as you can. It dried out my skin sooooo bad that it took me month to redone the damage.

I am a product and ingredient snob to the nth degree. This doesn't mean I slather my whole body with La Mer- I have a cynical and objective eye. I'd use bacon grease on my body if it worked. I am frugal, but know when to spend when it counts. That being said...
Baking soda makes the BEST fine-grained, thoroughly cleansing and rejuvenating facial scrub EVER.
I mix enough baking soda with half and half (could use milk, but I have better results with half and half) to make a thin paste, then gently cleanse my face with it, and rinse off. I will never use store bought facial scrubs again. I use this formula twice a week. Just try it.
P.S.- the lactic acid in the 1/2 & 1/2 has its own amazing benefits. Google it!

on 1/29/2013 11:40:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I used this for a cleanser and it was gentle. You do need to be careful of how much you put on. I use about 2 tbls of baking soda with 1 tbls of warm water. Use it like you would any other cleanser, but go easy. Its very gentle. I think it did a pretty good job and its better than spending all of that money on a bunch of chemicals.

Update: I no longer use baking soda as a cleanser. Too sensitive and drying.

on 1/9/2013 4:41:00 AM

I was using Baking Soda to brush my teeth once in a while but in my country we use it for many many things around the house. For my teeth and mouth- it cleans my teeth very well (don't over do it!) and my mouth smells bad after brushing my teeth with BS but I have no problem with this- it means that the BS clean everything in my mouth. After brushing, I leave my mouth alone for an hour or so and then I use Listerine mouthwash (my favourite mouthwash).
Now I am using it also for other things:
I tried it on my skin- as many others said- if you over do it, your skin will turn red, dry, irritated and may look dull. I used BS as a scrub on my face for 3 times and I didn't pay attention to the results. Now as it is winter and my skin is dry anyway, eventhough I have blackheads and I would need some help with some dry skin being exfoliated, I wouldn't use it now, but I will use it as soon as my skin will get oilier (in the spring summer).
I used it on my hair- I wet my hair, I put BS on my scalp, I massage my scalp and hair, I shampoo, rinse very well and put Vinegar and rinse again. If I use just the BS, my hair will be dry and frizzy, if I put Vinegar it will be soft, shiny, bouncy and my scalp doesn't itch for few days. I use BS on my scalp and hair just once a month. My hair stil stinks after I wash the Vinegar from my hair and when it is dried. Even when I sweat, it stinks...but I like how my hair looks like after the Vinegar and I am happy that the BS cleans my scalp and hair.

And of course, I put BS in a bowl in the fridge.

on 1/2/2013 9:27:00 PM

This is the best thing I have ever added to my skin care regime! I tend to get acne around my jaw and cheeks due to the pores there being smaller and more prone to clogging. I use this as an everyday exfoliator and cleanser. I have never seen my skin so clear I want to thank whoever invented this stuff! I just pour some bicarb into my hand and add enough water to make a paste and then rub gently around my face and neck and then rinse with cold water to close pores. Works great as a toothpaste as well!

I donīt think any household should be without this.. the uses are multiple: put a bowl with soda in your refrigerator/cupboard and it will absord odors (just leave it there doing its thing), mix a teaspoon with your liquid/cream cleanser and it scrubs your skin better than any other scrub (not as abrasive..), sprinkle on a toothbrush and it scrubs soft stains off your teeth (donīt overdo it because it can damage the enamel)... If you have a handbag that needs freshening up, sprinkle a generous amoung of baking soda inside it and leave for a few days.. it will absorb moisture and odors (the same applies to suitcases). Sort of a grandma-knows-best kind of product!

on 12/31/2012 11:30:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This stuff is great to use a couple times a week to make your teeth whiter! Just sprinkle some on top of your toothpaste when you brush. I have heard that it's not good to use on your teeth every day though, as it can harm enamel... especially if you don't rinse really well. I've never used it in my hair or as an exfoliator on my face though... maybe I'll give that a try sometime. I am a bit hesitant though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Ever since I was a teenager I have been using this on and off for my teeth. It really whitens teeth and freshens breath.

Now I am on the "no poo" regime and I also use it to clean my hair. It's hard to get the balance right, but when you do, you get the cleanest hair ever - nothing any shampoo has ever managed to do. However, it can be a bit drying even though I follow it up with ACV.

It's great for getting rid of smells in the fridge, or clothes that are a bit musty.

I did try it on my face when I was going through a bad acne time but I think I scrubbed too hard. It only exacerbated the problem. I'm also concerned that it will affect my pH balance. I will try and use it once a week with my facewash and see how it works.

on 12/29/2012 10:03:00 AM

Used it in my hair today. Shampooed first and then sprinkled some into the lather. Suddenly I could smell hair dye. I quickly rinsed it out and then when I dried my hair it was really frizzy (more than usual) and my brown lowlights were substantially lighter. WARNING: don't use this on colored hair ~ it will strip the color!!!

Popular Other Products