July 26, 2014 | 967 users online

Fragrances - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2009 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Liita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Eeek, eww, just to remember the smell of this thing makes my stomach upset, to think I love EL perfumes so much! but this definitely awful!! one lippie because I donīt have the choice to give 0 lippies

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2008 7:24:00 PM More reviews by kamaile

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to steer clear of this fragrance like it was the plague. It seemed so strong and old fashioned. Yet, a woman I worked with wore it and she really wore it well. She was so classy and intelligent--and she made YD smell so lovely. Today I sprayed some on for the heck of it, and it dried down to the most lovely and warm scent--comforting, spicy and, dare I say, sexy. This is really a beautiful classic. If you like warm and spicy oriental scents, this is a must have--you just have to get over the Youth Dew stereotype and give it an honest try. Update: Still enjoy YD, but find it's not for me. I will also consider this a great, though.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2008 12:20:00 PM More reviews by andrea171

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't care if Grannies wear it. I love it. I'm sure part of my love is nostalgic as my mom had the dusting powder in her bathroom cupboard for years; so to me, all things makeup have a Youth Dew smell about them. I have the EDP and the oil and I love them both. I don't wear them as often as I'd like though...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2008 10:47:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This does not smell warm, spicy or sexy. It is a very strong, synthetic blend of jasmine, rose and lavender. This is very potent and a little goes a long way and will last all day. It definitely smells like something from grandma's closet. It is similar to EL's Cinnabar.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2008 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Laurel15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

There are two reasons why I have to review Youth Dew. One is to discredit the myth that it is a fragrance for old ladies. The other is simply because I love it.

Not long ago, I worked at an EL counter, and white-haired women would roll up in their wheelchairs to purchase Youth Dew. At Christmas, the aqua packaged gift sets would fly off the shelves as reliable presents for mothers and grandmothers. Trendy young sales girls would whisper their contempt for it, and there was much shrieking and drama if someone accidentally sprayed it at the counter.

However, none of Youth Dew's matronly reputation among the cosmetic associates was based on how it actually smelled. Youth Dew is sweet, spicy, warm, comforting, and very sexy. The original 1953 ad featured a shadowy photograph of a naked woman about to slip into a bathtub - quite edgy and daring for the times.

Yes, I've smelled it on countless elderly women in my lifetime, but what strikes me is their unmistakable loyalty to this fragrance. In the 50's, these women were hot, young, fine dressers, and Youth Dew had a smoldering, womanly sensuality and a sweetness that probably made it equally appropriate for pic-nics and office luncheons. This was no old lady scent when it debuted.

Chances are you have smelled Youth Dew before. Last I checked, Estee Lauder still keeps a tester on their counter. It is very strong, with a hefty sillage. This is a fragrance for a woman who is comfortable with her sexuality. I recommend a few strategically placed drops of bath oil, as the EDP can be sharp and overpowering. I hope Youth Dew's grandmotherly associations will diminish, as new generation discovers this gem of a fragrance. It can purr like a kitten, and seduce like a rhinestone choker.

34 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like it ok but wouldn't buy for myself and here's why: my mother wore this for YEARS while I was growing up. That's not a bad association; it's just "hers". As for the old lady association I'm here to tell you, I'm an old lady myself now. So I asked my mom when she started wearing this and she said she couldn't remember for sure but before she hit 40. So that means she was younger than I am now (she's in her early 70s). Lemme tell you about old lady: she wears Miss Cherie and loves Pink Sugar so there you go. Age ain't got nothin' to do with it but I do remember this as being particularly heavy. It even LOOKS heavy so spritz sparingly and who knows? If you're young, you may even love it.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2008 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Angela1013

I enjoy reading all the love/hate reviews on this fragrance. I tried YD today for the first time after passing it by a million times and I am smitten with it. The edp is great, love the warm patchouli spicy jasmine scent. I heard about the bath oil so I purchased it, why not, I can use it as perfume or pour in my bath I can't wait. This smells mysterious and rich, whats with the "old Lady" comments? Its old fashioned yes, but that dosen't mean it smells bad. Personally, I've always admired the way some mature women smell and have always wondered what they were wearing. It's body chemistry not the age of the person and sometimes medications can effect the way a fragrance smells on someone. At least the classic fragrances have character and depth with some risk and romance in their concentrations compared to some of these shallow fruit juice sugar uninteresting shouldn't even be in perfume catagory concoctions of now. I guess it's a matter of "preference" I love interesting perfumes and YD is one of them and I know I'm not alone in this.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2008 4:15:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

Youth Dew is a vintage ,classic ,heady strong perfume with its own personality - for those who appreciate different accords , I guess this comes with age and testing many different fragrances.

Musty - it is not, grandma like - it is not .

I love Youth Dew - it is phenomenal and I love all the accords even the patchouli in it even though I dislike patchouli greatly.
It's warm, only slightly spicy on me. It's more a deep oriental powdery floral perfume with a touch of chypre on my skin .
I know people say it is too strong but i think it depends on whether your skin' eats' perfume like mine does. I can use 5 sprays without causing the room to clear !
I will never say this is for old ladies - that's just insulting for everyone. It's just a matter of taste !

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by fatbottmdgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

UGH!!!! You want to smell like a 90 yr old Grandma..Use this!! By far some of the most horrible, overbearing fragrance I have ever smelled in my life! Maybe it worked in the 60's but this stuff REEEEEEEEEKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Do not buy it, unless you need a Christmas present for Grandma!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2008 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm surprised by how hated this fragrance is. Surprised and perplexed. My husband can't keep his hands off me when I'm wearing it. He says it smells great and is conflicted because it is both work-appropriate and devastatingly sexy all the same time. I'm a nurse and I work in a nursing home. I wear just one tiny spritz of the EdP between my breasts and get nothing but compliments from men and women of all ages all day. All year round. All I hear is "You smell soooo good." "You smell like the Lush store." "You smell so clean and aromatherapy-ish." However the compliment I get the most is "You smell so glamourous and comforting at the same time. What are you wearing??". I also wear the bath oil. Some days I wear a dab of the bath oil rubbed into both forearms and the spritz of EdP between my breasts and it's never too much and always, always. always elicits compliments. Especially in the dry summer heat! I always have a dusting powder as well. Funny thing too, when someone asks me what I'm wearing and I tell them, the reply is always "oh yeah, that's my favourite." *shrug*

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No