Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 3/8/2009 4:03:00 PM

Like many of the other reviewers, I didn't care for amber fragrances when I was younger--I didn't like Opium either. (Estee Lauder reportedly dismissed Opium as "Youth Dew with tassels" when it was introduced.)

I wanted to find a warm, Oriental fragrance that I liked and my DH could tolerate (he's not much of a perfume guy) and this was the one. It won out over the similar (to me) Cinnibar, because Cinnibar dries down to that fakey cinnamon spice candle smell.

One spray lasts all day, and I do enjoy the scent, but because of the perfume's popularity, I'm afraid that I'm walking around reminding people of their great-aunts.

on 3/4/2009 5:47:00 PM

I am obsessed with this fragrance. A friend wore it and I hated it on her ... but now I love it. My personal theory: once you're around the halfway mark of life, things that smell loamy become weirdly appealing as a way of getting used to death. Not that I think YD smells like 'death' but I do think that's the source of the 'old lady', 'dirt', 'funerals' and so on revulsion regarding this fragrance. I'm especially into the weird rubber note ... it's like a skid mark or a strip from a blown tire, or even like a big fat tire itself just sitting in the middle of this frag. It keeps me coming back to it. Too bad I live in a hot humid place and cannot possibly wear this year around.

on 2/2/2009 12:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Every time I use this one, or smell it on someone else, I remember the 60's all over again. ;-) Guess it has to be the age thing, but I really do like this fragrance. It does seem to smell different on most people though. I say that because sometimes I think it is a different perfume on a lady and when I ask, she usually says it is Youth Dew. Youth Dew to me has a spicy, woods, leather, and incense smell all rolled into a blend together. It only takes a very light spray to go a long way and to last all day.
UpDate:
I recently bought a new bottle of this one. I noticed it on a lady in the store and mentioned how nice she smelled. She told me it was Youth Dew. I decided then to get another bottle for myself. I was nicely shocked to see the price is still very reasonable. $30! Most of my fragrances cost over $100 so this was a real treat. I still only need a little to go a long way which makes this fragrance a great deal if you are old enough to wear it. ;-)

on 1/27/2009 11:19:00 AM

This perfume has to be one of the worst smells ever! My Mom dropped a bottle of this in our basement once and it smelled like soiled laundry!

on 1/27/2009 11:08:00 AM

cute bottle, vintage looking. but honestly not my cup of tea.

i get mixed reviews at my job. the younger people and men say it smells like hippies and inscense. the older ladies at my job love it. and my circle of friends hate it and screamed old lady when i sprayed it.

funny thing is i have no scent glands in my nose so i cant really give it my own personal review. other then im told on me its not a good scent. with the name "youth dew" you would think it would be a light colored/scented purfume.

i got it as a gift from x-mas from an old man (that explains it!) so i feel bad not using it. i only wear it when i know im going to be walking around or outside alot becuase one spray honestly goes a long way and i feel like after airing out for a bit it can be pleasent.

on 1/10/2009 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Eeek, eww, just to remember the smell of this thing makes my stomach upset, to think I love EL perfumes so much! but this definitely awful!! one lippie because I don“t have the choice to give 0 lippies

on 12/30/2008 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I used to steer clear of this fragrance like it was the plague. It seemed so strong and old fashioned. Yet, a woman I worked with wore it and she really wore it well. She was so classy and intelligent--and she made YD smell so lovely. Today I sprayed some on for the heck of it, and it dried down to the most lovely and warm scent--comforting, spicy and, dare I say, sexy. This is really a beautiful classic. If you like warm and spicy oriental scents, this is a must have--you just have to get over the Youth Dew stereotype and give it an honest try. Update: Still enjoy YD, but find it's not for me. I will also consider this a great, though.

on 12/17/2008 12:20:00 PM

I don't care if Grannies wear it. I love it. I'm sure part of my love is nostalgic as my mom had the dusting powder in her bathroom cupboard for years; so to me, all things makeup have a Youth Dew smell about them. I have the EDP and the oil and I love them both. I don't wear them as often as I'd like though...

on 12/14/2008 10:47:00 AM

This does not smell warm, spicy or sexy. It is a very strong, synthetic blend of jasmine, rose and lavender. This is very potent and a little goes a long way and will last all day. It definitely smells like something from grandma's closet. It is similar to EL's Cinnabar.

on 12/1/2008 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

There are two reasons why I have to review Youth Dew. One is to discredit the myth that it is a fragrance for old ladies. The other is simply because I love it.

Not long ago, I worked at an EL counter, and white-haired women would roll up in their wheelchairs to purchase Youth Dew. At Christmas, the aqua packaged gift sets would fly off the shelves as reliable presents for mothers and grandmothers. Trendy young sales girls would whisper their contempt for it, and there was much shrieking and drama if someone accidentally sprayed it at the counter.

However, none of Youth Dew's matronly reputation among the cosmetic associates was based on how it actually smelled. Youth Dew is sweet, spicy, warm, comforting, and very sexy. The original 1953 ad featured a shadowy photograph of a naked woman about to slip into a bathtub - quite edgy and daring for the times.

Yes, I've smelled it on countless elderly women in my lifetime, but what strikes me is their unmistakable loyalty to this fragrance. In the 50's, these women were hot, young, fine dressers, and Youth Dew had a smoldering, womanly sensuality and a sweetness that probably made it equally appropriate for pic-nics and office luncheons. This was no old lady scent when it debuted.

Chances are you have smelled Youth Dew before. Last I checked, Estee Lauder still keeps a tester on their counter. It is very strong, with a hefty sillage. This is a fragrance for a woman who is comfortable with her sexuality. I recommend a few strategically placed drops of bath oil, as the EDP can be sharp and overpowering. I hope Youth Dew's grandmotherly associations will diminish, as new generation discovers this gem of a fragrance. It can purr like a kitten, and seduce like a rhinestone choker.

Popular Fragrances