November 28, 2014 | 1035 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by kristynad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The best one out of drugstore mascaras!

I always liked big brushes when it comes to mascaras and this one has a really big one. It gives my lashes a lot of volume, it gives them length and it holds a curl.
Usually i use a lash curler firstly, then apply one layer of this mascara, leave it to dry, then I use lash curler once more and apply a second coat of mascara and it gives me beautiful, long, separated lashes with loads of volume.
Also, it doesn´t clump and it stays all day, it never smudged on me.
Really like this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Kait89

This is one of my favorites, if not my favorite mascara. I continuously go back to this mascara. Always reliable, gives me exactly what i want. Thick, long, voluminous lashes. I have fairly nice lashes already, but this enhances them even more. Will continue to use!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by gabbyy3789

This is one of my favorite drugstore mascaras. It goes on so nice and adds a good amount of thickness to my lashes. If you use this with another mascara, you're lashes look evennn longer its so pretty. I don't find it clumpy, I think the brush does a good job eliminating it and separating lashes

rated 3 of 5 on 3/3/2014 5:26:00 PM More reviews by yasminthompson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

When I first bought this mascara I really liked it! It was the perfect texture, and my eyelashes looked super long. But after a couple if weeks the product became really dry and hard to use, and in fact made my eyelashes look shorter and they had more clumps. Unless your willing to purchase this product often, I wouldn't buy it

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2014 10:19:00 PM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara was on sale at Target and I decided to get it as I'm looking for cheaper alternatives to Lancome's Hynpose.
Overall, the Maybelline Volum' Express The Colossal isn't a bad mascara. It doesn't give colossal volume as the name implies but rather, it gives decent volume and length. It can get clumpy if you get carried away so definitely go easy on the application.

I had concerns about the large wand but it's actually okay and I don't end up with mascara on my lids. I still like to use a lengthening mascara (L'Oreal Butterfly is my current fave) to finish as I like va va voom lashes.

How does it hold up after a long day?
I do get some smudging after a long day (but get this with most mascaras and I can't use waterproof versions) and wee bit of flaking so one lippie off for that.

Does it remove easily with regular eye makeup remover?
Yes, but I still need to get rid of the smudges around my eyes with a Q-tip after using a cotton pad to remove my eye makeup.

Is there a fragrance?
There is a slight fragrance which seems to common with Maybelline mascaras but this one is rather faint (for me anyways) and it doesn't irritate my eyes. (unlike L'Oreal's Million Lashes)

Would I repurchase?
Yes, if it were on sale and I needed a new mascara. Otherwise, I'd still get the L'Oreal Voluminous carbon black and butterfly.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Solfire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. It lengthens and adds volume really well for me. My only complaint is that it does smudge (my eye area does tend to get a bit oily throughout the day). I need something that holds up for at least 10 hours and unfortunately, this doesn't.

I do tend to come back to this product, but only when I need something that reliably lengthens and volumizes. But I wouldn't consider it my HG due to the smudging issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by bujiyama

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE: I'm changing my mind on this one...Decided to work with this mascara a bit and see if I can use it differently to get better results. I found that if I wipe off the wand very well with a tissue, the mascara works very nicely and I'm actually quite happy with it. D'oh! Also, since cleaning the wand caused me to have a lighter coat of mascara, it now comes off well with cold cream or eye makeup remover. So, I take back my bad review and would purchase again. I guess even mascara deserves a second chance....

ORIGINAL REVIEW (Done a bit in haste...)
The only thing that was colossal was the clumping and very difficult removal of this product. It smudged as much as any other mascara. I hate the clumped "spider eyes" look but want volume and definition. Even when I combed my lashes this didn't look clean or natural for me. It took several attempts with different cleansers to remove this mascara, so I'm not buying this one again. I had good experience with Maybelline Great Lash long ago. Maybe I should have tried that one again instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 8:11:00 AM More reviews by jennabethh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall I like the mascara very well. I will most likely purchase again.
I have very straight lashes, and I find that if I curl them and then apply mascara, they lose their curl. Easy fix for this is to curl, use a waterproof lengthening mascara for the first coat (i find that waterproof mascara holds curl 100% better), and then I use my volumizing mascara overtop!

I like this mascara because I can apply multiple coats and it doesn't clump. A bit spidery now and then, but it may just be because I've had the tube I have now for a few months.
Time to go out and get a new tube!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 7:44:00 AM More reviews by anjalisharma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I loved it for 3 months in which I used it regularly and after which it seemed to loose it's potency. Right now using Clinique and Estee Lauder and I find this one is comparable to any highend mascara. What I love most about this mascara is it holds the curl. The color is nice and deep. It irritated my (lens wearing) eyes after 3 months so I stopped using. It's affordable and doesn't flake. Very buildable, which I find most drugstore mascaras tend to look spidery after 2 coats and/or won't hold curl. It's not my HG (I loved Loreal length something) but for the price, I will repurchase; I've been wanting to try the flasies/flase lash one though.

Update: Flakes a lot of 3-4 months, irritates eyes. But for the price, 3 months of almost daily use is good use for the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

This makes my lashes look very full. It's also not as drying as some other mascaras I've tried (Great Lash, waterproof version of Lash Exact, L'Oreal Voluminous). (I seem to not lose many lashes with this.) The price is great too, highly recommend!