July 30, 2014 | 1275 users online

Pressed Powders - Urban Decay - De-Slick Mattifying Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2010 12:20:00 AM More reviews by Katzepatra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this powder! I love the compact, I love the color, I love the texture, I love the staying power, I love how it looks over multiple foundations (liquid, cream, mineral). The only compliant is the price - $30 is hard on the wallet!!!

As it is expensive, I have been holding out on re-purchasing to try other, cheaper products. While I've had some decent results, I can't recommend them for all complexions as its been my experience that powders with a purple or blue cast to them show up on anyone with color to their skin. This I have used De-Slick on two friends to test this, one who is Asian and the other who is Puerto Rican; both said they couldn't "see" it the way they could other powders I have.

I currently am using Clean & Clear's Shine Control Powder which is discontinued however I found it on Overstock. I would say it works as well as this BUT shows on anyone who isn't pale. I love/hate the stuff as it works well BUT must be reapplied a lot and it cakes around my nose when I'm running around at work.

As of this review, De-Slick is my HG of powders in general!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

I got got this one time when I was newer to makeup. I used it for a while but stopped (should have returned it). It only controlled shine for a short while. The powder is pretty white and if you're not careful can definitely show up on your face. It didn't seem finely milled/pressed.

It was VERY expensive for a compact. Plus, it had a fragrance that is NOT necessary for your face.

I prefer Cover fx. They have an oil-absorbing powder that has a wonderful finish. I have it in light and use it over liquid foundation, plus I carry it around in my purse!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2010 4:13:00 PM More reviews by DvineRevelation

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually really like this product. It sets out to do what it states, mattify. The powder is stark white, and when placed on the skin (and I have done it with the included puff and a brush) it has a tendency to leave a bit of a whittish cast, but that does go away quickly. The powder is very fine and blends into skin nicely. I get very oily in the summer and this product was great to keep the greasies away. I prefer brush application instead of puff, as it helps you control the amount of powder you want to grab from the compact. My only problem with this is that the compact did not want to stay closed after I used it for a bit...seems as if the little lock mechanism had worn.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2010 12:06:00 PM More reviews by smarteepants712

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have fairly oily skin, so I've tried many of the mattifying products out there and found none to live up to their promises (with, perhaps, Mac Blot being an exception). I have had success with Lancome Primer for oil control, but don't like to use it every day because it's fairly expensive, so I save it for days I know will be 10+ hours for me.

I opened my Mac Blot a couple weeks ago to find it crumbled (admittedly, it was almost empty anyway, so just the outer ring had come apart). When thinking about the replacement, I really did not want to get Blot again (see my review for details); for summary purposes, it was too chalky when applied, got cakey and felt gritty even though it did absorb oil when applied. I also noticed it whited me out in pictures horribly.

Anyhoo...I had borrowed a fellow bridesmaid's UD De-Slick during a 93 degree wedding and was happy with the results. I purchased this as my replacement. Although it can go on with an ever so slight (and I mean very minimal) white cast, it fades rather quickly (within 5 minutes). Mac Blot left me with that chalky cast until my face was in need of reapplication (and I bought medium even though I'm only about an NC20-25 and it still did this...the SA at Mac rec'd I get the Medium Dark, but I didn't feel I should have to do so). I did not, however, notice a white film on me in pictures even though I took some within 2 minutes of applying this product. The description says it contains tea tree oil (which is evident in the minty smell which I enjoy) and a lavendar color (not apparent to me...it looks white in the pan, but may merely because it is placed next to a purple casing).

What I really enjoy about it is the look I get with it. It unquestionably absorbs oil, although will not keep me matte all day (the only reason for the 4), but I have no problem pulling out this convenient and cute compact to reapply as necessary with a travel kabuki brush. Aside from the fact that it doesn't leave the white cast like Mac Blot (a huge plus) the second biggest pro is that it really leaves my skin looking airbrushed. It seems to melt into my skin and never leaves it feeling dried out. It never looks cakey regardless of how many times I reapply throughout the day. It also feels nice and cool on my skin (likely because of the tea tree). I can't comment on the value as I've only had the product for a couple weeks, so I have no idea how long it lasts, but I did feel $30 was a bit steep. It is the best thing I have tried thus far, so I will definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 5:26:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love the idea of this product but found that it didn't love me. I like the idea of rice powder however it seems to also have a high talc content to it to. Talc is a cheap filler and clogs pores.
My complexion is yellow based so that idea of a purple powder helps to make my skin more luminous - theoretically.
I found that it made my skin look sallow and dull. Such a shame. Perhaps I used too much? I found that application had a better finish with a brush instead of with the sponge. The sponge had a terrible, whitish dull finish to it.
I found that it didn't last long so you have to keep reapplying. I found that there wasn't much in the container and that it got used up very quickly and it was quite expensive.
I prefer to use Nude By Nature Mineral Finishing Veil as my setting powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Bjet

Would I buy this product again?: MAYBE (but I picked yes)
I really really like this! It keeps my face matte for HOURS. However it was $40CND which is really expensive. I carry this everywhere and i have a retractable brush to tag along with it (I don't use the sponge it comes with). It works great for the summer but now that winter is approaching I may not need it so I guess this would last for quite a long time. One thing though, if you apply too much it will leave a white cast!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2010 5:38:00 PM More reviews by eyeheartyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The packaging is adorable, but that's where the compliments ends. This product doesn't nothing but sit on my skin. It doesn't help control my oily skin at all. I paid so much for it so I'll continue using it til it's done but if not for the mirror I'd find this product to be completely worthless.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2010 6:35:00 AM More reviews by tokidoki123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

The packaging on this powder is AMAZING!!!! It was one of the reasons that I bought this powder in the first place. The powder inside is also very good and finely milled. It absorbed my oil like blotting paper and kept it matte for hours! The powder can leave a slight white cast at first but when it settles in it just absorbs in and melts with your skin. The only downside is the price. I just don't think I'll repurchase this again for I just can't justify $30 a pop for a powder, no matter how pretty it is or how good the product is. However this has lasted me for two years and I still have plenty left. Overall good product, steep price. Too steep for a student.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2010 8:53:00 AM More reviews by kdhill

I love this product!!! I dont use it a a finishing powder, i prefer to use it as a touch up powder throughout the day. It completely erases any shine I have, and it doesnt leave a ashy veil over my skin. It works well with the puff it comes with but i prefer to use a retactable kabuki which doesnt rub off your original make up application. Overall very good product, does exactly what the description describes which i find very rare with alot of beauty products. Love the packaging, lasts very long.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2010 6:02:00 AM More reviews by x3rjessikers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin and this product works wonders. I use it in the morning to set my foundation and it makes my skin matte and i love it. It does have that ghostly white vial that everyone speaks of but only if you look REALLY closely. since it does the job, I don't really mind. I find it best to apply this is with a kabuki brush because it gives you a light application. I only use the powder puff thing it came with for touch ups. For touch ups, instead of just piling it on my skin, I realized if I used a blotting sheet before reapplying this, it works the best and I stay matte for quite some time. And I know that this powder is suppose to replace blotting sheets, but I have oily skin so I don't mind doing both if I get awesome results. This product also lasted me a while too. I've had it for over 2 or 3 months and I've barely made a dent in the powder.