October 22, 2014 | 2123 users online

Loose Powders - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Corbly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is a miracle! Where has it been all my life? Doubles as an alcohol free dry shampoo, great for when you just don't feel like washing your oily bangs. It lacks any pigment, which is why i never bought it before, but it really softens the look of your skin, absorbs oils like crazy, is non drying on my oily-combination skin, and keeps me from getting as oily as i normally would over time (though bear in mind, i have oily skin, not super duper buckets-of-oil skin as some are blessed with).
It functions as a great base for that last finishing touch of spot concealer, because it soaks the concealer in, absorbing it, making it less likely to rub off, though you can still blend the spot in (i recommend Shiseido spot corrector pencil for women of all ages). It really does diffuse light too, but it doesn't take the shine from your skin altogether, making you look overly matte. It goes on almost totally invisibly.
What i love most about it is that when i put it over my larger, blown out pores (from abusing acne spots in the past), the light that the raised and bloated rims of the pores normally catch is softened, making them look less textural and eye catching. It's like it makes all the ugly little details of my skin kind of blend in and smooth out! It NEVER looks chalky and powdery, or too white either!
I gave it a good review on the price, because if the price for the full size is too steep for you, it comes in a $16 or $18 travel size (relatively low price given the performance and high end manufacturer-these are not drug store maybelline products, people, so don't expect it to cost $8--though another reviewer here has said you can buy silica powder much cheaper from other retailers, I'm not sure if that would be in the "spherical microspherides" form that earns this product its "HD" label or not; you be the judge, if $16 bucks for a product that lasts up to six months is somehow too expensive to you!), travel size is none too small and will last you a good while. This product has really allowed me to get that "no makeup", polished and natural look that I've always wished i could have, and to top that all off, it's also good for your skin.
As an edit, I've seen a few reviews where people say that this product gets concentrated under skin flakes, like around a healing acne spot or on dry skin, and draws attention to them, looking scungy. I haven't had that happen with this stuff at all, and i do get flaky acne and dry spots here and there fairly regularly, always have. I find that if you slather on too much makeup, or don't smooth out spots where it's too concentrated with your finger (which is easy with something that has such a great silky texture like this silicone based powder), it's going to look bad no matter what you use. Of course, nothing works for everybody.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Rhonda2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Keeps my skin looking matte without drying my winter dry skin. Gives a soft focus look much like the hd foundation does.I bought the .017 size and the three little holes don't give a lot of product but it's perfect for travel.

I buffed it in and kept rubbing the brush into my skin for about 30 seconds. This didn't leave a white cast in photos. Overall, it's good but I'm sticking to my Nars powder which is superb. For a really soft matte glow, I use the hd foundation, then this hd powder, then Nars loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by JLeroux

Great finishing powder! It sets the rest of my makeup, removes any shine on my face, and goes on completely sheer. Doesn't give an overly matte finish and looks very natural.

The packaging isn't great though. It doesn't come with a sifter, so I end up having to tap off most of the powder each time I dip my brush. This can be tricky with the tiny jar, as the light-weight silica powder will sometimes fly-off in all directions (and will waste some of product). Also, the lid doesn't seem to fit properly on the jar (although mine may just be defective). The size of the jar makes it great for traveling with though.

Overall: Great finishing powder. If you want something that removes shine and goes on sheer, this is a great option.
Alternatives: I've also used Tarte Smooth Operator, which worked exactly the same and equally well for me. I think these two products are similarly priced as well.
Value: OK. It is pretty expensive for the amount of product you get. However, I use very little each time I apply. I bought the smaller 0.17oz over a month ago, and you can't really tell I've use any. I think this size will last me at least 6 months if not more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 7:51:00 AM More reviews by jadejiang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's not a bad powder but the only thing is, I find that it dries out parts of my skin when I put it on. I've tried the BareEscentuals version of this and that one didn't do that, so I'm probably going to switch back after I finish this tub.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2012 4:19:00 PM More reviews by aak16

I think this finishing powder does a great job setting my makeup and giving my face an overall smooth look. I apply it with an Urban Decay finishing brush made for hd powders and I think it makes a difference. Sometimes (probably if I apply too much) I like to sweep on a little more blush after I apply the powder. It says you're only supposed to use a tiny bit so I probably use a little too much. I have the same problem with the packaging- it's hard not to make a mess so I always open it at the bottom of the sink so I can rinse away the powder that escapes when I open it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 2:05:00 PM More reviews by Poofers

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

LOVE LOVE LOVE this powder. I received a deluxe sample from Sephora then purchased the full size. I've been using the sample for a good 5 weeks now (approximately 5 days/week) and it's not empty, so I think the full size was worth the price (around $34 USD) since it'll probably last a long time.
It's a very fine, silica-like powder. I use a big fluffy brush to apply it over my foundation. Only a little is needed. It 'colorless' but it does seem to give me an almost whitely glow, though I like looking a little pale. You would probably want to try this out and see how it looks.
I don't know if it casts a white glow on the face in photos, but I wouldn't really care if it did. It's light, non-cakey, long lasting, and keeps my make-up in place without any of it transferring. HG for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/24/2012 4:09:00 AM More reviews by leucadia

Even a tiny amount on my olive skin resulted in a white cast in pictures.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by kianacarly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this product. I bought it on a whim, after hearing how flawless it made peoples' faces look, but then instantly regretted it because of the problem that so many people seem to have wearing it for flash photography.

However, I absolutely adore this product. It makes my face appear so flawless, and I've used translucent powders before, but with this I only have to touch up my t-zone, maybe once throughout the entire day. My makeup stays put for hours, and I have oily skin, so that is inane and amazing to me, since I've never had anything do this, even with primers and other powders. I don't know if it will hold up as well in the summer when my skin gets even more oily, but for now it is doing wonders. And, to add, I have NEVER had an issue with flash photography while wearing this. I use a powder foundation, and what I do is mix in a little of the HD powder into my cheap Avon foundation before I apply it on my face. I still get the amazing results, and it blends together really well - and I have taken multiple pictures with this on, and it still looks great. I used to use Palladio's rice powder, and it left a ghostly cast and led to an extremely embarrassing moment when I had my picture put in the paper, and it also didn't really help my oily skin. But this never looks flaky or caked on as long as I don't neglect on exfoliating once in a while, which I do anyway. A little goes a long way, so I know it will last a while, therefore the price doesn't really bother me. I never thought I would be the type of person to get compliments on my skin, but I have people telling me how soft and clear my face looks all the time. A+

I honestly don't think I've ever been this impressed by a product in years. So glad I purchased it. Will continue to buy every time it runs out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2012 6:15:00 PM More reviews by LluviaCatMagic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My mom bought me this on my birthday a few years ago and I love it. It makes my face feel super smooth and eliminates any shine around my t zone. It does sort of make my face look pale white and its sort of expensive. But I really love this stuff :)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/6/2012 10:57:00 PM More reviews by JillyJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not a fan, too much money for what it does and is way too light even on my fair MAC N4 skin. Forget taking a picture with this on as you'll literally look like a white sheet and it is very drying on the skin, showing up any flake. My cheap palladio rice powder works 10x better than this product.