Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Foundation

3.6

Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Mica, talc, PEG-10 Dimenthicone, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Phenyl, Trimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Lauroyl Lysine, Dimenthicone Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Caprylate, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Cyclohexacyloxane, Methylisothiazolinone, Sorbitan Sesquileate, Silver Oxide, Propylene, Carbonate, Parfum (fragrance), Methylparaben, Fagus Sylvatica Extract (Fagus Sylvatica Bud Extract), Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, [+/- CI 77891 )titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 11/8/2014 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

SELECTED SHADE: N153 (NC37 in MAC Studio Fix Fluid for reference)
APPLICATION METHOD: flat-top kabuki or sponge

PROS

- easy to blend
- medium - full coverage
- satin finish/looks very natural
- minimizes the look of pores
- has a pump
- lightweight
- does not settle into fine lines/cling onto dry spots
- long wearing

CONS

- price

COMMENTS: One of my favorites. I love the finish. It leans more matte than dewy (satin), but looks very natural on. It looks like skin, but better. Pores are minimized and skin looks much smoother. This applies very well; blending is not an issue. I get a good medium coverage, but you can build it to full without it caking up. I chose the shade N153 on a whim and it turned out to be the perfect match with the perfect amount of yellow in it. I have oily skin and found this worked fine for me. I had no issues with getting too oily (I get oily within 4-5 hours with EVERY foundation) and this one was no exception. It doesn't cling onto my dry spots, either. It stays on and still looks great after a long day (8+ hours). Another thing I love is that after I do touch up, this stuff never looks cakey or settles into fine lines. It'll look just as good as when I first applied it. Despite the price tag, this is a must-have for me.

Will repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Just recently bought this foundation and I really like it! Now the price is a little much ($42) but totally worth it! If you have oily skin or acne breakouts it might not bea good choice bc it is silicon based so your skin doesnt really get to breathe much. Also oily skin will prob make this foundations staying power not that great either. I have normal skin and with my smashbox primer (the photofinish one) it will last me all day, but if i went from morning to night with it id prob have to touch up.

It DOES cover all my freckles and discoloration, and i dont even have to use much at all like maybe a half a pump? full pump if im going out.. anyway this is a good foundation for people with normal skin in my opinion! its flawlessss!

on 10/28/2014 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The most well-rounded foundation I've tried to date!

I tend to get nervous about reviewing foundations (hence this is my first fdn review) for a number of reasons...I'm generally non-committal with them, use a variety depending on occasion/need (my notepad has the exhaustive HG list), people's preferences vary in what they want out of them (finish, coverage) and they yield different results depending on one's skin type, tone and issues.

PROS | Anywhoey, this velvet finish foundation feels lightweight enough that it's become my everyday foundation yet still provides a medium-almost full coverage that looks great in photos and special occasions :) The best things about the MUFE HD is that it provides fairly good medium+ coverage, gives skin a healthy natural glow in photos, blurs imperfections yet still looks and feels light. I appreciate the pump bottle and the broad shade range includes some fair options for strong yellow undertones like mine. It applies seamlessly with a damp beautyblender, doesn't cling to my dry areas and has decent wear. But that's not to say it's all peaches and ice cream :|

CONS | I don't like to touch up foundation and though this still looks decent at the end of my workday, it does slide off a bit around my nose (my most oily area). I can live with that but it may not be ideal for oilier gals. MUFE foundation shades are a bit confusing as they don't seem to categorize warm/neutral/pink and the numbers aren't necessarily from light to dark. I'm MAC NC35 NARS Stromboli and found 153 to be the best but a tad dark which is okay since it counteracts the white cast from my sunscreen (127 and 123 were close). Also, the velvet finish is just fine but I'm personally a luminous foundation junkie so it didn't make me giddy when I first applied it :) but I've been on a highlighter binge so have plenty of products to up the disco-ball factor on my face! Last con: it's pretty pricey at $54 CAD.

OVERALL | I think this is a good/great foundation to try if you can get a sample and it really is a great option for photos. I think it would have fairly broad appeal and is professional quality.

Here's a little comparison to other foundations I've tried for what it's worth:

- MUFE F&B is lighter coverage, more luminous than HD which is great for summer and on good skin days. I'm 32 or 34 in F&B, applied with my fingers.
- MAC F&B is similarly great in photos and is super dewy luminous but because it's so sheer, you need to conceal well or have good skin to begin with. MAC colours are a dream for us yellow-toned girls. I'm C3 or C4, applied with fingers. HD covers more, is less glowy.
- MAC SFF is another option for photos but full coverage. I would only use it for photos or if you have much to cover up. It's cakey/greasy in person and can break me out so it's only reserved for photoshoots. I'm NC35, applied with brush. HD is more versatile.
- Giorgio Armani LSF is another medium+ coverage option and looks decent in photos. Never a shade match, 6 was closest but made me dull as the day wore on. I didn't find LSF really dewy whereas HD had a naturally dewy look.
- NARS SG, every time I try this I think "wow, luminosity plus full coverage!" but the feeling fades as it looks gross after a few hours no matter how I prime or set. HD is a little less coverage, less dewy, doesn't cling to dry spots. Stromboli was the perfect match. SG makes me look like I have bad skin, HD doesn't.
- Sephora Airbrush Mist is a great option for those who like semi-matte because its staying power is awesome (withstands the gym) but it's much too matte and flat for me. Medium or Almond matched me slightly, applied with brush. HD is less matte, less coverage.

on 10/28/2014 1:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Right off the bat let me say this is my HOLY GRAIL foundation. I picked mine up at Sephora for $54.00 Canadian. This foundation has some ups and some downs depending on what you want out of a product. I was looking for a light weight foundation with some coverage and staying power, the staying power was ok, I found I had to blot the first day after 4 hours, but with my Urban Decay All Nighter spray this makeup stays on ALL night, no powder needed. I found the coverage to be medium but build-able. All in all, this is an amazing foundation if your looking for a light weight feel and a medium-full coverage. Defiantly will be repurchasing!

on 10/19/2014 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I wore last night & really liked the way it felt smooth on my skin. I did blot my face after 2hrs but I didn't mind, plus the make up didn't budge.
I decided to try it again during the day time. Complete different story now. My face feels itchy & greasy. It is very uncomfortable. I wore it for 6hrs & I had to reapply to make get the oil under control.

Would not recommend

on 10/14/2014 5:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

It went on cakey and patchy even after I cleansed and moisturized. I didn't want to believe it so I put it on four different times even with the primer and loose powder it didn't float my boat . I prefer most of my other foundations. I wish I had not thrown away the boxes now I'm stuck with it lol

on 10/12/2014 8:24:00 AM

Although the color was PERFECT (150), application a breeze, and I loved the look and lightweight feel, it took about two weeks for me to realize that this was breaking me out. At first only a few small bumps, but then I kept getting more, without any other changes in my regimen. So now I'm back to my former foundation - Urban Decay Naked Skin - and my skin is going back to normal.

on 10/9/2014 2:24:00 PM

I wanted to love this foundation SO bad. I was in between shades (go figure!) so I purchased 2 colors that I blended accordingly. The coverage was lovely, but unfortunately after a couple of hours slid right off. I have oily skin, perhaps this is why. This foundation also gave me a terrible breakout. Additionally, while I love the pump, the bottle must be BEYOND delicate, because one bottle actually shattered on the inside (that inner layer of glass inside) so there were pieces of broken plastic or glass floating around inside, after 1 trip traveling with it in my hard make-up case. On my other bottle, where the pump meets the bottle also broke and just fell into itself. When I contacted them via the link on their website, I never received a response. I even sent three more emails to customer service- nothing. I'm totally disappointed. It was expensive, broke me out, and physically broke so I couldn't even return it (not that they even responded to me) or give it away to a friend. I also purchased the hd powder (which I gave away, it broke me out SO BAD). Super bummer. Over a $100.00 loss for me.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I was obsessing over this foundation before I even laid my hands on it because soo many people were raving about it I had to have it. Buttt being from the UK meant that it's availibilty and getting colour matched was close to non existent! However now I have purchased it twice I know there are two places in London which you can go to now (P.A.M and Guru Makeup Emporium) I didn't get colour matched and took the risk of using reviews on here and other places to guess that I'll be 127 as I'm MAC nc30, and got my friend to pick it up for me whilst on holiday.
When I finally received it, I was not disappointed, the texture and the amazing feeling were worth the wait! The colour match was fine, can't complain! The finish is amazing especially in pictures my skin looks extremely good. I would say this is a medium finish, quite dewy but wouldn't say its natural or cakey. I apply it with the real techniques miracle complexion sponge which is also amazing....Love it!!!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was really wanting this foundation for a long time. I finally got it and I'm honestly disappointed. It looks cakey, even when I apply it with a stippling brush. It's alright for a night out but I honestly don't find it worth the price.

Video Reviews & Tutorials