January 26, 2015 | 1859 users online

Foundations - Sally Hansen - Inspired By Carmindy Natural Beauty Your Skin Makeup ] [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2010 3:52:00 PM More reviews by likeoldtea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Though I haven't succumbed fully to the "all-natural" trend, I do try to be conscious of the ingredients in my makeup and hair products. Sally Hansen Natural Beauty is one of a growing number of beauty lines that uses the "natural" tag to draw in a more conscious consumer while only addressing one of their major concerns. One look at the ingredient list of this foundation reveals a whole host of silicones and other additives which may have a comedogenic effect. Nevertheless, I'm always looking for a cheaper alternative to my Cargo Oil-Free foundation, so I gave this product a try. The website offers a $2 coupon, which came in handy because this foundation is $13 at my local CVS store.

I was immediately impressed by the packaging. This foundation comes in a thick glass bottle with a pump, comparable to department-store products. The frosted glass makes it a little bit difficult to determine an exact color match; when choosing between two, I found that holding the bottom of the bottle up to my skin gave me the best idea of the real color. The color range seems to be fairly broad, though the store I bought mine from only had the light-to-medium shades available. I was pleasantly surprised to find an exact match in Ecru Beige. (I usually have terrible luck with finding the right color in drugstore foundations. )

The consistency can best be described as a whipped-liquid. (When it comes out of the pump, it actually stands up on its own instead of pooling.) The coverage is light-to-medium, so definitely expect to use a concealer on any imperfections, because this won't cover them. I've tried it by itself and over Tarte Clean Slate, and have found that it definitely wears better over primer. It applies just as well with a brush as a sponge. Sadly, it's not very buildable. If I apply more than one layer, it starts to look caked on. Also, though fragrance isn't listed on the ingredients, this does actually have a bit of an odor. I wouldn't call it unpleasant (maybe a bit plastic-y), but if you're sensitive to smells this might not be for you.

The wearability is where I knocked of a lippie. With as many silicones as this stuff has, and when layered over a primer and set with powder, I would expect it to last a little bit longer. I'd say this only lasted about 4 hours on me before it started wearing off. And if you live in a hot or humid climate, this stuff will completely melt in an hour or two, and settle into any and all fine lines. I'm going to try a few more things to see if I can get it to stay in place longer, because this really is a good foundation, though definitely not HG status.

In short, this is a perfectly good foundation for the price, and the bottle alone makes it worth the extra few bucks for me. (I wonder if I can reuse it once I'm done with the foundation?) If you're concerned about using more natural products, then this probably isn't for you; however, if parabens are the only things you're worried about, then this is a pretty good bet.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2010 6:15:00 PM More reviews by sisterofnight3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this foundation at the local Rite Aid based on the great reviews here. I got it in the lightest shade they make because, let's face it, I'm a pale-faced Scandinavian girl and it's downright difficult to find super-pale shades that suit me. I was thrilled when I found the color matched my skin perfectly--score one for me. Unfortunately, I'm also an oily-faced girl as well and this stuff just slips right off of me before I even know what's happened. I'm still gonna give this product a good review because the shade, texture, and ingredients are all top-notch but this foundation, IMO, is better suited for more normal-to-dry-skinned girls who can wear their makeup a bit longer.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by 1alexa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to like this product. The packaging is nice, the color selection could be better and it is a little pricey for a drugstore brand. It went on nicely but it doesn't last all day. I also have somewhat oily skin and even if I use a primer my skin ends up greasy with this. I went out the other night and in all the pictures my skin looked like a grease ball. I ended up throwing this away. Oh well...back to the drawing board with finding a good foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/20/2010 10:23:00 AM More reviews by christajoella

I like the product. I just wonder what harmful ingredients are in it. Does anyone know?

rated 2 of 5 on 5/13/2010 3:49:00 AM More reviews by JKra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It didn't work for me. Did I get a bad (old) product? I don't know. It went on smoothly in the store (ULTA has testers) but when I tried to use it at home it dried really quickly and that made it difficult to blend. I didn't like the way it felt on my face. It is a medium to full coverage. I love having a pump but this one squirts out too much product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2010 7:24:00 PM More reviews by votedugliestboy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can never get a foundation with enough of a neutral undertone to compliment my fair skin. I fluctuate between MAC's studiofix powder in NC20 in the summer and NC15 during colder months and STILL it isn't a natural enough match for me ::sad face::

I apply with either a non-latex sponge or MAC's foundation brush no. 190 and have dare I say, professional looking results! I have a few acne scars and PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) from more recent breakouts that cover up nicely when i use a concealer brush with just a tiny amount of the same foundation after applying it all over as a base.

I used to have dry skin with an oily surface, but since starting on MaxClarity my skin has been parched! I recommend using a good moisturizer regardless of your skintype. It helps to emulsify the foundation better for a more seamless and poreless look. I use Alba's oil-free moisturizer and it's fabulous! Set with Sally Hansen neutralizing powder, although I don't recommend using the given applicator. Use a natural bristle powder brush and voila! Remember that application is everything. The best quality foundation is worthless if it isn't applied correctly. DON'T USE YOUR FINGERS, please! I can't stress how awful it is for your face and how jeopardizing it is for the final result.

Hope you find this helpful ladies and some gents ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2010 2:42:00 AM More reviews by monicaking77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a truly great drug store liquid foundation. I haven't touched a liquid foundation for over two years because of acne and sensitive skin issues. After reading the great reviews, I finally decided to try this is Ecru Beige, which ended up being a perfect match for my skin tone, and I'm very pleased with this purchase. Even though the bottle was frosted, I felt that the color I selected was very versatile with true NEUTRAL undertones that could blend with many tonal variations of this specific shade. I can't say the other colors are like this, but Ecru Beige certainly is. My skin is near translucent with just the tiniest amount of pigment and therefore appears quite ruddy. This color blends in perfectly and is not at all gray or pink like a lot of foundations made for fair skin, which is good because I think neutral or yellow undertones look most natural on me. It actually blends in seamlessly while diminishing the ruddiness- no green or blue primer needed. I thought it livened up the skin and was more flattering than pink or ash based colors.

The most fabulous thing about this product is the formula- a brilliant silicone emulsion using noncomedogenic ingredients and skin-friendly oils like jojoba. The result of this formula is that it doesn't break me out like everything else does. I can honestly say that this product does not aggravate my skin when I am maintaining it with a vigilant skincare routine and properly washing my makeup off at night (I wash my face with my mild cleanser twice to ensure product is removed).

The packaging of this foundation is also excellent; it's a pump dispenser that is very hygienic and makes getting the right amount of products out easy. I feel that this foundation is quite comparable to higher end department store products and in my opinion is one of the nicest drugstore foundations out there today. The coverage is what I would consider medium, but building the product a bit doesn't cause caking on me. It also works fantastically with my cream concealer and/or my mineral powder when a heavier layer is needed. This gives me a mild matte finish that is still luminous and natural looking but works with my large-pored, oily skin.

Although this is not a long-wear foundation, I'm quite surprised and pleased with how long this stuff lasts, even on my oily skin. I normally experience very minimal oil breakthrough throughout the day when I set it with a powder. This makeup seems to work with my skin whether it is on the oilier or dryer side that particular day. It does rub off and fade a bit after several hours, but that is to be expected.

I really love this liquid foundation. I will definitely keep repurchasing as this is an HG product.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2010 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Jazzybear89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't like the texture of this stuff at all. It's very odd and doesn't blend out well. Wouldn't repurchase. One of the worst foundations I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by lovelyShine

Well i love this foundation i usually use covergirl or almay only becuase they were easy to find. had been trying to get to a cvs forever but finally did moved closer to one. picked it up for $12.99 it is really great makeup my skin actually looks alot nicer ! the cover is slightly minnimal but is that not carmindy's campaign of very little makeup girls. one trouble i had with this i was that it is hard to see the shade your buying the container is frosted so just look at the coresponding powder shades next to them or course.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by paulamwiggins

Great foundation. My skin tends to be dry, and this does not dry it out.
I was using the Loreal mineral makeup for a while, and while it was a good product, it just tended to get cakey on my skin and felt like it sunk into fine lines.
This foundation just melts into my skin. I can easily apply it with my fingers and/or a sponge. I went with nude beige, and it was a perfect match for my fair, neutral skin. Finish is dewy. I like to set with a touch of loose powder. Half way through the day I use a teensy bit of pressed powder just in the t-zone, but it seems to have a very nice balance of not drying out my skin or leaving it greasy.
Great product!
Just snatched up a spare at CVS, as they were Buy 2 get one free.....