November 28, 2014 | 1939 users online

Cleansers - Dr. Hauschka - Cleansing Milk

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2008 9:00:00 PM More reviews by LoloDSM

I bought the Dr. Hauschka trial set for normal, dry, sensitive skin three weeks ago. My skin is naturally oily and prone to breaking out, but years of acne treatment (including Retin-A) have left my skin dry and sensitive. In the past, I've used Estee Lauder, Mary Kay, Clinque, Kiehl's, La Mer, and Cetaphil, but I wanted to get away from synthetic products. So far, I've been very pleased with Dr. Hauschka. It's gentle on my skin and I love the scent of the products (even the cleansing cream). It's helped with dryness and redness (caused from Retin-A), and has left my skin soft.

I've since bought full-sized bottles/tubes of the set, and I still really like everything. The cleansing milk does not remove waterproof mascara, but I still like it overall as a make-up remover. Plus, it smells wonderful (very lemony). Dr. Hauschka doesn't believe in having a squeaky clean face which took some getting used to, but now my skin is very healthy feeling and looking.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2008 6:12:00 AM More reviews by alissaevelyn

This is a gorgeous cleanser, and really easy to use. It is beautiful at removing mascara, and works deeply into your skin. I do find though that it takes a couple of seconds to kind of activate, and actually lift the dirt from the skin. But cotton wool pads will remove it gently.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2008 3:52:00 PM More reviews by dreccles

I've been using this cleanser for months now and I really like it. I think it's the type of cleanser that you're either going to love it or hate it. I have very sensitive combination skin and I use this along with clarifying toner and the moisturizing day oil (I only use moisturizer in the mornings). It leaves my skin feeling soft and clean. I massage it onto my face and neck and use a warm, soft cloth to wash it off. Then I use the toner. My skin looks really healthy and I have had very few breakouts. I used to use the Eve Lom cleanser but after awhile I realised that it was stripping my skin, leaving it dull and with more breakouts than I'd ever had before. I think cleanser is a really personal thing and everyone's going to prefer something different but I really love the whole range and think it's had a positive effect on my skin

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2008 3:30:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent milky cleanser. Thin in consistency, but it spreads easily over damp skin and rinses easily. No breakouts or irritation for me. After rinsing, my skin literally feels like a rose petal and smells delish. I do think it is gentler than the Cleansing Cream.

A little extra effort is required for removing eye makeup, like using a cotton round and letting the cleanser sit over the makeup a bit first before wiping away. Since I don't wear much eye makeup, it is not a problem for me, but if you wear a lot of makeup you might consider a swipe with jojoba oil first.

I subtracted a lippie because of the price. And, although I love the Dr. Hauschka cleansing philosophy, I still have minor flakes because of the absence of manual exfoliation. But I am a convert, and because I love my complexion now, I'll continue to repurchase.

Editing 5/8/13: I had to give this one up, as I have discovered that I am sensitive to most botanicals in products. As interested as I am in using natural products, I just can't. This was lovely (I really wish I could use this) but I have to move on. Currently using Elta MD skincare.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2007 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Jamocha151

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently started using the cleansing milk again (after a several year hiatus) and I realized I should have never stopped. Within a week or two I could see results. My skin wasn't as dehydrated and I stopped breaking out. My skin's also softer which helps make the other Dr. H products I use more effective.

The milk takes awhile to get used to. At first I didn't really feel like I was cleaning my face; it didn't feel like it was working. But it does. It's very GENTLE. Others have commented that there's a slight odor to it, but I don't notice it anymore.

down sides: the price and the container. Dr. H uses glass on a lot of his products, but it makes getting the last drop out difficult. Also, it does not remove waterproof mascara.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2007 12:48:00 AM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am currently using the Dr. Hauschka set of trial products which includes this cleansing milk. This cleanser is a very thin lotion consistency, and it removes my mineral makeup pretty thoroughly. I can't say if it would remove a heavy layer of moisturizer or sunblock though.
While this is nice, I don't think that I would buy the full size of this, as there are lotion cleansers I like just as much which cost a lot less.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2007 1:46:00 PM More reviews by kametotsuru

I decided to wait after a couple months to review the Dr. Hauschka products. This is my first time using their products and I love the ones that I use. My skin has improved a lot--it's more even toned, smoother, cleaner, less breakouts and when I do get a pimple, it goes away quickly. I used to break out a lot. One thing, however, that I have to consider is that I have sensitive skin and I have allergies to peanuts. Therefore, I take precaution in the products I choose to use from their line because they do use peanuts (Arachis hypogaea). Although they state that the way in which they process their peanut ingredient makes those allergic to peanuts able to use their products, I still have to be careful. I tried the products with the peanut ingredient and was ok for a few days, but then I had an allergic reaction (swelling). Regardless, I've found that the products I do use without the peanut ingredient really work for me. I just take precaution and a little more effort to find the products without the peanut ingredient. Some of their products use sesame oil instead of peanut oil.

Now to the cleasing milk: I use the cleansing milk to remove my makeup. I do this my spreading 2 pumps around my face and massaging it into my skin. I leave it on a for a minute or two and then apply a warm compress (terry cloth) onto my skin and press for a moment before swiping the milk and residue away. I wash my compress and compress a few times more. I follow that up with Jurlique's face cream (Dr. Hauschka's cleansing cream contains peanuts and Jurlique's is a similar alternative), and facial toner at night. In the morning, I do the same thing, but add some rose cream light. I believe you have to use all of the products to get the best results. I also think the warm compress helps to clean out the pores more. Washing the milk away with splashes of water might not be enough to remove all makeup and/or dirt. The entire process can be lengthy, but I think it is worth it and it's become a twice daily regimen for me. I really do believe in Dr. Hauschka's products and philosophy.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2007 5:09:00 PM More reviews by lkfdesign

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this for 3-4 weeks at night to cleanse and remove my makeup. I had been using the rest of the line as well (cleansing cream, clarifying toner, moisturizing day cream, normalizing day oil). My skin looked great for 2 weeks... very glowy and healthy, my pores disappeared, blackheads vanished, etc. At about the end of week 2, I started noticing tiny hard bumps coming up on my forehand... I stuck with the line though, thinking this was just minor and would go away. Unfortunately, at the end of week 3... my entire forehand and sides of my face were covered in tiny hard bumps and very, very dry, red skin. I quit everything and went back to Cetaphil and neutrogena sensitive skin moisturizer only. The bumps did not go away. I went to the derm this morning and was told I had developed eczema (the extreme dry red patches), and comedonal acne (clogged pores). He gave me a antibiotic/retinol cream to use, and referrals to get acne surgery from the aesthetician (extractions). The natural ingredients were just too strong for my sensitive skin, and is going to take at least 6 weeks to repair. I'm mentioning all of this in case anyone else has the same reaction. If you do have sensitive, breakout-prone skin.. I would be wary of trying this. I started slow and introduced each new product every other day or so. I know these are high quality products, and I hate leaving a bad review because I really like the philosophy of the line. I researched each individual ingredient before even starting the Dr. H line, and the natural oils and ingredients used do have wonderful medicinal properties, and I could definitely see this working tremendously for someone with more normal (or tougher) skin. On the upside.. faint acne scars I had started to develop with age almost vanished while using this, and like I mentioned above, my blackheads completely went away. I did like how soft my face felt after washing my face with this, but too bad it didn't work for me.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2007 10:57:00 AM More reviews by SamWaddington

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A nice light lotion that removes makeup, even takes off eye makeup without irritation. Leaves skin clean and soft and didn't break me out (I usually avoid lotions like the plague as they always break me out!)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2007 2:55:00 AM More reviews by princess194

i luv this product i use it every night, it cleanses throughly w/out drying my skin removing makeup and impurites..i find the best way to use it is 1 pump in my hand which i then warm in my palms applying to my face (making sure i dont rub just applying from centre outwards)i leave it on for 30 seconds then i remove it w/a warm soft flannel, then a splash of cool water. If im wearing makeup i do this twice the first time to remove the makeup the second to remove dirt/impurities. also i find if i use more than one pump at a time it clogs my pores...and make sure u remove it properly w/a flannel and not just water cuz that will also clog your pores!