December 21, 2014 | 1646 users online

Mascara - Estee Lauder - Double Wear Zero Smudge Lengthening Mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2011 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Meatball90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this mascara is AAAWESOME. instant volume and length. and lasts all day (and night). 3 coats of this equals like 10 coats of a drugstore brand. finally a mascara that delivers!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 5:23:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

I thought this was really good when I first bought it, but after a couple of uses the brush began to really clog up with product and it was pretty much a disaster to apply even when loads was wiped off (and wasted) on a tissue beforehand. Extremely annoying and will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2011 5:04:00 AM More reviews by sadiemonster

I purchased a sample of this online recently, and when I first tried it, I LOVED it. For some weeks previously I had been using Maybelline Great Lash (an impulse buy in a moment of desperation) which is universally recognised as The Most Appalling Goo Known to Man. Subsequently, the Estee Lauder Double Wear Mascara seemed magical by comparison. A rich glossy black, it went on smoothly, lengthened and curled the lashes, and felt dry to the touch (not gooey and moist). It didn't appear to smudge throughout the day, and made my eyes look bright and wide open. I even started wearing mascara on my lower lashes again, which I gave up a few years ago due to chronic smudgery (it's a word! Okay, it's not a word).

Unfortunately by the next day I realised it was hurting my eyes quite a lot. I persisted anyway, in the hope that the stinging sensation would resolve itself, or that I would get used to it. Then my 7 year old niece looked at my face and said "wow, you're eyes are really red". I realised that my eyes do look red, bloodshot and teary, and that is NOT A GOOD LOOK. Shortly after application, I experience a stinging, then a burning sensation, and throughout the day I feel like I have sand in my eyes. Ouch.

Finally by the second and third day of use I had to concede that the mascara isn't even as easy to apply as it first appeared, and that it FLAKES. The consistency is gloopy and the brush seems to bring out an awful lot of product (this could easily be fixed with a smaller opening on the tube, Estee Lauder!) I tried scraping the extra goo off on the edge of the tube, but that got messy fast, and it wouldn't go back into the tube anyway. The only way I can apply this effectively is to wipe a generous amount of product off the brush with a tissue before applying. This works very well - in fact, I find it very easy to apply after removing the excess - but you're wasting 2/3 of the product. The flaking wasn't immediately apparent, but I soon realised I had tiny black flecks under my eyes at the end of each day. Not pretty.

In the US, this stuff costs US$21, but to purchase a full-sized Double Wear Mascara from the Estee Lauder website in Australia costs $48.00 + $10.00 shipping, a total of AUD$58.00 or USD$61.26 (as of June 24 2011), which is obscene. This probably isn't the place to rant about the outrageous discrepancy in cosmetic prices between the US, UK and Australia (IS there a place to rant? Some sort of city square? Because I'm willing to go there and testify), but $50 is too much money for a product that you're expected to dispose of after 3 months anyway. Even if I find my HG mascara among the top end brands, I'm likely to return to drugstore favourites like Maybelline Full N' Soft anyway, that do a pretty decent job for a fraction of the price. Not Great Lash, though. I'm not THAT desperate.

EDIT: After abandoning this mascara for a couple of weeks and then retrying, I didn't have trouble with stinging and watery eyes. I think it must have been me, not the product. I'm still deducting a star for the flakiness and the gloopy wand that needs to be wiped before application (note: I'm using a sample size, so the full size may be better designed), but otherwise this stuff is pretty good and I'm bumping it up to 4 stars.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2011 4:25:00 PM More reviews by danammelvin

I love this mascara because my eyelashes will often touch up near my eyebrows and if it is hot or if I am a little sweaty, they will leave smudges near my eyebrows and this mascara doesn't do it! It also makes my eyelashes thick and long in one swoop whereas other mascaras I have to work it for awhile. My only complaint is that if I do a 3rd coat, my eyelashes can become a little clumpy, but I usually don't need to do that.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Naneki

I am truly amazed that this mascara doesn't smudge on me at all. I've always worn waterproof mascara because non-wp smudges on me. Actually, even most wp ones do too, with the exception of Anna Sui Super mascara and Cover Girl Marathon mascara (discontinued). I got this EL mascara as part of a gift-with-purchase and thought I'd try it on the weekend instead of on a work day in case I ended up with racoon eyes. Not only did it last all day but it also lasted through a couple cat-naps on the couch without a smudge or flake. It also lasts through sweaty workouts. One con for me is that I would prefer that it thickened instead of lengthened.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2011 1:10:00 AM More reviews by jumijinny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I gave this mascara 2 lippies. I really liked this mascara at first, when I first applied it. It really does lengthen my lashes, but this mascara doesn't last long at all! After an hour or so I get little black pieces of mascara all under my eyes. It gets dry and starts chipping off. o_o Thats the best way I can describe it. I definitely will not be repurchasing this mascara again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2011 1:40:00 PM More reviews by ashton

I LOVE THIS MASCARA! Here is why:

It is very lengthening but separates lashes so that they aren't clumpy, but don't look spidery either. It also adds volume! Doesn't flake and curls my lashes upwards - no eyelash curler needed. Looks like lash extensions or false lashes. Great mascara, I will be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2011 9:39:00 AM More reviews by fatbottmdgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is by far my favorite mascara in the entire Estee Lauder line. I work as an SA/MA for both Lauder and Clinique (my store is a smaller door) and this is THE BEST mascara! It does not smudge, flake or smear!! It does leave the lashes slightly stiffer than some mascaras, but it is a small price to pay for something that does not come off until I take it off. I've noticed as I have *ahem*matured*ahem* that mascaras seem to smudge easier and I have tried several lately, both Deparment store and Drug store. This is the only one I have found that really stays put for me.

Now, I have read a few reviews of this about the removal, I don't know where some reviewers got the idea that this is warm water removal only. IT IS NOT! I have had success in removing this with any number of Eye MU removers. It was never marketed as a warm water removal method mascara either.

This is pricer, coming in @ $22-$23 a tube, but for the wearability of the product, it is well worth it. I will state, though, as an SA, I get this for free by having gratis. But since I can get any Clinique or Estee Lauder mascara I want, this is the one I choose.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 8:11:00 AM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I never strayed from my beloved Lancome Hypnose and Definicils Mascaras until now. I have extremely sensitive eyes and for the past 25 years I also wore contacts so finding non-irritating eye makeup and especially a good mascara which also is easy to remove has been a struggle. Even Clinique mascaras irritate my eyes but both Lancome mascaras never bothered my eyes.
6 weeks ago I got Lasik eye surgery after battling with chronically inflamed eyes for nearly 7 months. It turned out I developed an intolerancy for contacts so I would have never been able to wear contacts again. The procedure went well but I needed to find a water-resistant mascara because I have to use artificial tears for the next few months. Regular waterproof mascaras are difficult to remove and when I read about this EL Mascara (it's a Paula's Pick) I decided to try a sample size tube of it.
So far I like this mascara! It does a good job lengthening and thickening my short, sparse lashes and it doesn't irritate my eyes. The small brush works really well in reaching even the tiniest lashes. No flaking, no smudging, holds well and best of all it's a breeze to remove. It comes off easily by wetting a washcloth (I use a baby muslin cloth) with very warm water, pressing it gently to your eyes for about 20 seconds, and then wipe off. It won't come off using a (waterproof) eye makeup remover or your regular cleanser! Same goes for tubing mascaras and for example Clinique Lash Power Mascara.
After not being able to wear any kind of eye makeup for so many months I'm extremely pleased with this mascara. I even bought a full sized one so now I'm ready to face the world;-) Update: sadly this mascara irritates my eyes after a couple of days wearing it. Back to Lancome mascaras...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2011 8:44:00 PM More reviews by junomacguff

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a tube of this in a GWP and it was AWFUL!!! It flaked all day and really irritated my ocular rosacea. Strange part was that at the end of the day when I went to remove it with my Clinique TTDO eyes makeup remover, I could NOT get the stuff off. I then had to use some Mary Kay Creamy Cleanser #2 and a washcloth to remove the rest. My eyes were very irritated by the time I was done. So glad I didn't buy this stuff.