Maybelline Define-A-Brow

4.2

Ethylhexyl Stearate, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Silica, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Methylparaben, Tocopherol, Tin Oxide, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Retinyl Palmitate, Propylparaben, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Ethylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, CI 77492, CI 77499, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), Mica, CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 75470 (Carmine) (Carmine), CI 77000 (Aluminum Powder), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride) (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens) (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77289 (Chromium Hydroxide Green) (Chromium Hydroxide Green), CI 77400 (Copper Powder) (Bronze Powder), CI 77400 (Copper Powder), CI 77510 (Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (Manganese Violet) (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide) (Titanium Dioxide), FD&C Blue 1 (Blue 1 Lake), FD&C Yellow 5 Aluminum Lake (Yellow 5 Lake)

on 1/17/2013 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I have this in dark blond and for me the color is perfect. I saw a video on brows where they said to stay away from warm toned colors which makes sense to me because my favorite brow products are all really cool toned even though I'm a red head (my favorite is currently MAC omega eyeshadow mixed with a little charcoal brown). The product is a little dry and dense, I wish it was just a little softer. I love how tiny the diameter of the product is so you can get a very fine line. I don't use the comb, I wish there was a spoolie on the end but not a must because most of us have laying around. Overall a great product, but for .001 oz at about $6 it's actually more per ounce than the MAC brow pencil which is really similar. You could get it on sale and it would be cheaper though. No really sure if I would repurchase. I still prefer the above mentioned eyeshadow regime and I like multipurpose products so I'll probably go back to that.

on 1/14/2013 6:44:00 PM

It's okay. It's quite waxy and stiff. I find that because it's so waxy the color does not apply smoothly. Also, the color medium brown is too warm for me. They shouldn't call it medium brown. It should have a name like chestnut. I will use this up by applying it in a thin layer then putting a darker powder over it. I figure the wax will help the powder last longer. I wouldn't turn someone off from buying this. I think for some people the forumla and color will be fine. However, I'll never purchase this again.

on 1/3/2013 2:37:00 PM

I had to break it apart in order to use it, as the twisting comb at the bottom did nothing. Obviously a defect, but beyond that: This is completely overpriced!

I agree with whomever said it is much too waxy. If you need to define shape and not just fill in, this is not the product for you - if you're lucky enough to get a non-defective one.

The only pro I can think of is that the colour of the "Dark Brown" is truly perfect for those with extremely dark eyebrows (mine are coal black) to give some life to them.

This completely turned me off Maybelline products.

on 12/29/2012 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I experimented with quite a few brow products in the past few months. None of them thrilled me. This didn't at first either but now I can't go without it. This goes on nicely, love the fine tip. Wish it had a spoolie instead of the little comb but I like that the packaging is green so it's easy to spot among my brushes.
I am NW10, medium auburn (dyed) & use Medium Brown. It does lean reddish but with my haircolor, it's *perfect*

on 12/18/2012 8:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Favorite, Holy grail eyebrow pencil! I keep trying to find a replacement for this (because it is kind of pricey as far as drugstore makeup goes) but I cannot find anything that comes close to this. The tip is very small, which I like. It allows for more precision. It also has a comb at the other end. (which I don't use because I barely have any brows as it is...but it works nicely as a lash comb in a pinch) Only complaint other than the price is that sometimes I'll get a dud where I twist it up and the tip keeps breaking off. I'm not sure if the product got cracked inside the tube or the product was defective and not as strong (hard) as it's supposed to be. It's highly annoying... especially when you don't get much product as it is.

on 12/16/2012 7:52:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This definitely enhances the look of my brows. I do need to use a brow brush to even it out..It goes on okay - it is just the first little swipe to get it going it seems ends up noticeable unless I brush it out. Then it looks perfect !

on 12/7/2012 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Pros:
None that I can think of

Cons:
Product is too waxy
Overpriced
Isn't very opaque
the comb was useless

I personally don't like this product at all.It was very waxy and lucid and because of that I had to repeatedly apply this product until the color showed. A lot of the time I felt like I was wasting my time putting extra effort into this product. I also feel that this product was very cheaply made and was overpriced. (FYI, I used the medium brown tone)

on 12/6/2012 7:39:00 AM

This is my favorite drug-store brow pencil. The color payoff and lasting power are great and it comes in a pretty good variety of colors. My color is dark blonde and I pair it with my Maybelline Great Lash mascara in clear (as a brow gel). It is pretty affordable too and is easy to get your hands on (I bought mine from my local Wal-Mart). The appearance of the product is nice (I like that the cap is the color of the product) but I don't really ever use the eyebrow brush on the other end.

on 12/5/2012 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

To everyone dismayed with Maybelline discontinuing Define-A-Brow in Dark Brown, please check out the Maybelline Line Stylist eyeliner http://bit.ly/LineStylist.

I like my brow pencils waxy with sharp tips but hate sharpening the more traditional eye pencils where the pencil shortens overtime. While the retractable, sharpen free pencils are convenient, they get blunt tips. The Espresso shade is an exact dupe, without the joke comb. Apply with soft short strokes, it's like sketching in fine eyebrow hair. With it's fine tip, you can define a sharp tapered eyebrow tail. The packaging is similar to the more expensive Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows and Mac Eye Brows at 1/2 of the price. Caveat: It's 1/3 the quantity of Mac, 1/2 of Clinique. But, hey, if you're in a tight budget, this will do. I'm surprised that in the drugstore line of eye pencils, only Maybelline has this pencil in this packaging. The shade range in this line would be the darker spectrum for Define-A-Brow but they could expand the shade range to include a soft brown (Taupe Grey or Khaki Grey). But I'm happy just the same if they do not discontinue.

on 11/13/2012 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

After using eyebrow powder for as long I can remember, I decided to try out a pencil. I heard good things about this, so I picked it up at Walgreens for about $7 or $8. I was slightly disappointed that the darkest color was in "Medium Brown" as I have almost black hair, but I was soon thankful, considering that had there been a darker option, I would probably have looked ridiculous.It has a twist-up package, but you cannot twist it back down. As far as the look of this, I loved it. Very precise, and the color was spot-on (warm, dark brown). A couple negatives, though, the product ran out VERY quickly; with daily use, I went through 2 of these in 1.5 months. Also, if you twisted it up slightly too much, it broke very easily. I will probably only repurchase this until I find something better.

Popular Brows Products