November 23, 2014 | 1991 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2013 10:48:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been taking biotin daily for 11 months and have seen little progress in correcting my thinning hair condition. Wish it worked better for me and yes, I drink alot of water.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by rebeccarkane

I've been taking biotin for about a week now. I started taking it because of my nails. My nails take so long to grow, and since I can't wear nail polish at my job, I want them to look as good as possible. I also wanted the skin and hair benefits.

It's worked well on my nails. They are certainly a lot stronger. I'm a nail biter though, so I cannot comment on the growth. I'm hoping biotin will make my nails grow faster than I can bite them off :( LOL

As for the hair, no noticeable difference.

Everyone on this site says that it made them break out - it has not made me break out yet. I have great skin, not acne prone at all, but I am also on hormonal birth control. It has made my face more oily, however. Nothing I can't handle. My face does seem to glow.

Overall, I like the effects of biotin and would definitely repurchase. I have Nature"s Bounty, 1000mcg pills, and I take one per day in the morning with my multivitamin.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/22/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by mjc410

Where to start.... I went to walmart about six months ago and bought a green bottle of this for about 6 dollars. Im not sure how many were in there but there were quite a lot. I really liked this at first but then when I upped the dosage I started to break out. it did make my hair grow about an inch a month. But the downside to it was that It made my leg hair and arm hair grow so much faster too which is such a pain in the ass! After a couple months I just couldn't take the extra hair and breakouts so I threw it away. It definitely served its purpose but overall it just wasn't what I wanted. My hair grows fast enough I don't feel like I need this in my life..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 5:31:00 PM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

When taking any vitamin you need to actually have a balance..i have been taking Maxi-Hair Plus 5000 Mcg Biotin by County Life. It has the high biotin i wanted and other vitamins and minerals to balance it out. The only draw back is that you have to take 4 capsules..but..I decided to take 2 capsules for a month(with food/breakfast)..then go to 4...best decision i made, I will stick with just taking 2 a day. My hair grew like i was 20 again, instead of clumps of hair when showering..i only see a few strands(I am mid 50's, and my hair is now past my waistline) and it is shinier, friends, family, coworkers and my husband noticed the difference, the only thing is it did not stop my greys..just looks a lot less, may be just my imagination/glee that its working for me. My nails really grew fast, but was still not as hard as i wanted them. My skin did break out a little the first week, but was all gone by the second week. I am now on 2 months of taking just 2 capsules, deciding if i should go to 4...my hair, nails and skin is the same, which i am happy. Sometimes less is more..oh yeah I purchased for a little over $20.00. This worked for me and i hope it works for you, remember everyone reacts differently to everything..♥

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2013 2:26:00 AM More reviews by TB1234

If you have problematic skin, or even if you don't - don't succumb to taking Biotin. My skin broke out in horrible cystic acne that I've not had before. It was unmanageable and unsightly. It didn't happen straight away, probably about two months into using the vitamins. I assume this is because my body was actually metabolising the biotin and becoming used to it. It is very depressing to be 30 years old and have horrible skin. I really recommend not using this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

I've been taking Biotin for a little over two months. I've noticed an increase in nail and hair growth. My nails were brittle and breaking due to gel manicures and I really wanted something to help them.. The hair growth is an extra added bonus! I've been using the GNC brand. 5000mcg. I take one daily in the morning with my other vitamins. If you're looking for a dramatic change this won't be it, but it will help over time.

I haven't had any issues with acne or anything. My skin has been less oily. Not sure if it's due to this or because of the calrisonic. I'm sure this has a little to do with it.. Great vitamin, and very happy I found out about it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 4:33:00 AM More reviews by Hawaiianprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Just started taking biotin 5000mcg 5 days ago. So far I feel like my fringe has noticeably grown even just over a few days. I got my hair razored a couple of weeks ago because it was too thick but immediately regretted it afterwards! Which is why I've started the tablets. No break outs so far although I usually get the odd pimple but this is normal for my combination skin. It's worth noting though that it is currently warm sunny weather and hair is known to grow faster in summer in general.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I had heard of people taking biotin for skin/hair/nail health and was immediately intrigued. But I did have to do some research before putting something in my body. I saw that there was some skepticism about whether it actually worked and that your body apparently makes it on its own, but I eventually decided to just try it anyway. I've been coloring my hair for 12 years and as a result, it has gotten thinner and tends to fall out more than usual, and I have slightly acne-prone skin and paint my nails constantly. I really didn't notice a difference until I stopped taking it after a few weeks. Suddenly, I had more blemishes, there was a lot more hair in the shower drain and my nails cracked easier. The difference when I began taking it was so subtle, but when I stopped, I was shocked! I think this is a great product to consider, especially if you color your hair, regularly paint your nails, and generally put your hair/skin/nails through some abuse. Not a miracle drug that will turn you into a supermodel, but gives a little boost to what you have!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2013 12:31:00 AM More reviews by beautybrehyn65

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My first review ever! So I bought 1000 mcg Biotin tablets a month ago and started using them. I bought mine from the Target Up and Up brand (100 tablets). I usually take 2 tablets per day with 2 glasses of water. At night. I started religiously taking them this week after a break at the beginning of the month. I started taking them again because I was getting eczema on my neck. And me taking these religiously for the eczema has helped TONS. It doesn't itch anymore and I can't even feel it! This is a miracle! As for my hair, it's stronger and my natural root color is starting to show again and they are getting a bit kinky! As for breakouts, I have oily acne prone skin and when I first started taking these at the beginning of the moth, yes I did get cystic acne. But, my skin is now brighter, more supple, and smoother! Love this! Oh and my biotin was just $2.72!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2013 7:34:00 AM More reviews by lucybucy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I did A LOT of research prior to purchasing this. The reviews were so mixed I decided to just take the plunge. What did I have to lose? (Apart from my money, but then again I managed to get 2 bottles in a buy one get one free offer!)

I have now been taking these since the end of January (1000mcg). I definitely noticed an increase in hair growth very quickly and in the nearly 3 months of taking biotin my hair has grown substantially. PROOF this works: I have had a 'bald patch' on the right side of my hairline for as long as I can remember and I never used to like wearing my hair up/straight back because my hairline was 'wonky'. Since taking biotin the hair there has been filling in for the first time *ever*. In fact there are new baby hairs all along my hairline, about 2 inches long, nearly as long as a fringe/bangs! That's proof enough for me. Friends who usually (playfully) tease me about having slow-growing hair have commented on the fact my hair is getting long and my boyfriend, who is a hairdresser has said my hair seems stronger. I took off one lippie because if I take the amount it says on the bottle (says to take up to 2 a day) I get bad headaches, which apparently is a common side effect of biotin... I now take one a day which is fine. My advice would be to try it out for yourself and see if it works for you, you really don't have that much to lose.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No