April 19, 2014 | 1047 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by snitchlit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the whole foods brand of biotin (1000 mcg) and I've been taking it for about a week so far. I was really nervous about taking it because of all the things I'd heard about it causing acne, but as someone who has struggled with severe skin issues her entire life (I used to have really terrible cystic acne: had to go on Accutane for it), I can say that I've seen a HUGE improvement in my skin since I started on biotin. I went from having breakouts all over my face to having clear skin within days (seriously, not an exaggeration).
I started taking biotin to try to help grow out my hair faster (I got a pixie cut in early September and I've been growing it out ever since). I haven't seen a huge, drastic change in terms of hair length, but I've only been taking it for a week, so we'll see what happens long-term. Even if this supplement doesn't do anything for my hair, I'll probably keep taking it because it benefits my skin so much.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by auramei

A year or two ago, I picked up a bottle of 60 x 1000mg Biotin pills and started taking them daily for faster hair growth. To my dismay, I started breaking out on my chin with CYSTIC ACNE. Oh, those were so painful and ugly. I could not figure out why because I don't usually get cystic acne. I started researching what biotin does to some people and I learned that everyone can tolerate biotin differently. When I take multivitamins, where biotin is included in a much lesser dosage (maybe 1500-300mg), I am OK. However, anything over 500mg, and my skin freaks out. If you are getting unusual cystic acne, you may be experience the same thing. Stop taking biotin, and once your acne clears up, try it again in a much smaller dosage - only if you really need to. There are topical ways to improve your hair's health and growth, such as using natural essential oil masks.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by SophiaaaXo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi Ladies!
So I recently cut my hair shoulder length(which I regret) and was desperately wanting it to grow fast. A couple of my cousins suggested BIOTIN. So I was like why not? I went to Walmart and bought the Spring Valley brand( it was a green bottle with little-easy to swallow white gel like pills) for like 6$(in AZ)... I believe it contained 60, good for 2 months if you take the suggested amount 2/day 5000mg. I just started taking it about 4 days ago so I really haven't such much results. Although I'm hoping I do with in a month. I haven't had any acne yet either... The pills are very easy to take so they're perfect. I do hope to see some results. I'll keep you ladies updated... Praying it works!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Sam3215

I'm an 18yr old girl and. I have been taking 2 pills a day, and I have noticed some acne I never had before. My nails and hair are growing so fast. I will lower my dose to one pill a day so I dont break out as much

rated 1 of 5 on 1/21/2013 12:14:00 AM More reviews by saribali

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I started taking 5000mcg of Biotin a day just over a week ago and had a huge cystic acne outbreak within days. My skin has been fairly acne free and definitely cystic acne free for months thanks to cutting out dairy and using Zorac cream daily. Well, even the Zorac was no match for this outbreak. I also developed cysts on my cheeks which is somewhere I have never broken out.
I finally put two and two together after googling Biotin and acne and have stopped taking it. Hopefully my skin won't take long to clear up. Won't be taking this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by sleighb7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nails are stronger , not sure about hair growth being any faster but before taking biotin I was shedding like crazy. Clumps coming out everyday , after 2 months my shedding has been a quarter of what it was and that in itself makes it worth it's weight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by annafefifofanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought the Spring Valley version. It was under $3 at my local Wal-Mart and the pills are very small and easy to swallow. I have only been using it for a week so this review will be updated. I am doing my opinion of it so far because of all the complaints of cystic acne. The brand I have has 1000 mcg of biotin per tablet but other brands have even higher amounts. The bottle I have says you can take up to 5 daily, I suggest you DO NOT do so. At least starting out... I know a lot of you are really impatient and want to see results as fast as possibly so you pop in 5 pills a day hoping to speed up the results, but the last thing you want is too take too much for your body, that will cause excess biotin in your system causing acne and possibly other side effects. Since different brands have different ranges of mcg's per tablet you don't want to risk taking way too much! 1000 mcg is already a fairly high amount if you have acne I suggest you start out take one lower. Start yourself out by taking one pill a day for a month and see the results, then you can try out taking more depending on that. I am currently taking one pill a day WITH A MEAL. And drinking plenty of water. Taking it with a meal allows the biotin to be absorbed better into your system. I have had no signs at all of acne. In fact my face has become softer and, although it's usually dry, it has become a little more moisturized. I haven't seen any effects on my hair or nails yet and I probably won't until after a month of taking it.. I will update this later! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by sarah7855

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been trying to grow my hair out lately and had read so much good stuff about biotin online, so I picked up a bottle of 1000mg tablets at Target for like $2.49. They were small and easy to swallow which is always nice because so many supplements are like horse pills. I started taking one along with my daily multi and within a week noticed that my nails were growing like weeds. They were very long, insanely strong and very pretty. I was psyched. My hair began falling out less and less and seemed stronger. Even more psyched. Then...my face went absolutely crazy. I broke out with these huge cystic pimples all over my face which were so painful and embarrasing. I did a quick google search and sure enough, excess biotin is known to aggravate acne. I stopped taking them about 2 weeks ago and my skin is now back to normal. The difference was so noticable-I stopped taking it, and within three days all the inflamed pimples were not swollen anymore and well on the way to healing. My nails are back to normal too though, they've all broken off. I gave this a 3 because it does what it's supposed to with the hair and nails, but it has the unfortunate side effect of bad breakouts. I'll take normal hair and nails over acne any day.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2012 5:14:00 PM More reviews by kellyyxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i started taking biotin in hopes for longer hair. i havent really noticed much growth however my nails grow like crazy and have become very strong (they were pretty weak before). I haven't noticed any of this cystic acne everyone is talking about in fact my face has become really soft and clear.
i have also started crushing up the tablets and mixing them into my shampoo and conditioner. i am hoping to see more results.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by tamedDOLL

I started taking biotin because I am desperate for longer hair, as i cut almost 6 inches off a few months back. I also want my eyebrows to grow faster, so I can change the shape.
2 weeks:
So I have been taking biotin at 500mcg during the first week, and 750mcg the second week. I am now taking 1000mcg, and will probably go up to ~ 5000 mcg in the future. My nails already grow at a pretty good rate, but I think biotin helps them grow even faster, but not stronger(yet). I also feel like my eyelashes are ever so slightly longer. I haven't noticed it has done anything for my skin or hair length. I feel like I'm finally getting over the teenage acne stage but I still have somewhat acne-prone skin: blackheads on my nose, and a couple of pimples on my forehead or cheek, but I haven't noticed any additional breakouts. I usually take my dose of biotin with a multivitamin, and I make sure I drink enough water daily.