October 25, 2014 | 1621 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 6/15/2013 2:26:00 AM More reviews by TB1234

If you have problematic skin, or even if you don't - don't succumb to taking Biotin. My skin broke out in horrible cystic acne that I've not had before. It was unmanageable and unsightly. It didn't happen straight away, probably about two months into using the vitamins. I assume this is because my body was actually metabolising the biotin and becoming used to it. It is very depressing to be 30 years old and have horrible skin. I really recommend not using this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

I've been taking Biotin for a little over two months. I've noticed an increase in nail and hair growth. My nails were brittle and breaking due to gel manicures and I really wanted something to help them.. The hair growth is an extra added bonus! I've been using the GNC brand. 5000mcg. I take one daily in the morning with my other vitamins. If you're looking for a dramatic change this won't be it, but it will help over time.

I haven't had any issues with acne or anything. My skin has been less oily. Not sure if it's due to this or because of the calrisonic. I'm sure this has a little to do with it.. Great vitamin, and very happy I found out about it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 4:33:00 AM More reviews by Hawaiianprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Just started taking biotin 5000mcg 5 days ago. So far I feel like my fringe has noticeably grown even just over a few days. I got my hair razored a couple of weeks ago because it was too thick but immediately regretted it afterwards! Which is why I've started the tablets. No break outs so far although I usually get the odd pimple but this is normal for my combination skin. It's worth noting though that it is currently warm sunny weather and hair is known to grow faster in summer in general.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I had heard of people taking biotin for skin/hair/nail health and was immediately intrigued. But I did have to do some research before putting something in my body. I saw that there was some skepticism about whether it actually worked and that your body apparently makes it on its own, but I eventually decided to just try it anyway. I've been coloring my hair for 12 years and as a result, it has gotten thinner and tends to fall out more than usual, and I have slightly acne-prone skin and paint my nails constantly. I really didn't notice a difference until I stopped taking it after a few weeks. Suddenly, I had more blemishes, there was a lot more hair in the shower drain and my nails cracked easier. The difference when I began taking it was so subtle, but when I stopped, I was shocked! I think this is a great product to consider, especially if you color your hair, regularly paint your nails, and generally put your hair/skin/nails through some abuse. Not a miracle drug that will turn you into a supermodel, but gives a little boost to what you have!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2013 12:31:00 AM More reviews by beautybrehyn65

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My first review ever! So I bought 1000 mcg Biotin tablets a month ago and started using them. I bought mine from the Target Up and Up brand (100 tablets). I usually take 2 tablets per day with 2 glasses of water. At night. I started religiously taking them this week after a break at the beginning of the month. I started taking them again because I was getting eczema on my neck. And me taking these religiously for the eczema has helped TONS. It doesn't itch anymore and I can't even feel it! This is a miracle! As for my hair, it's stronger and my natural root color is starting to show again and they are getting a bit kinky! As for breakouts, I have oily acne prone skin and when I first started taking these at the beginning of the moth, yes I did get cystic acne. But, my skin is now brighter, more supple, and smoother! Love this! Oh and my biotin was just $2.72!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2013 7:34:00 AM More reviews by lucybucy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I did A LOT of research prior to purchasing this. The reviews were so mixed I decided to just take the plunge. What did I have to lose? (Apart from my money, but then again I managed to get 2 bottles in a buy one get one free offer!)

I have now been taking these since the end of January (1000mcg). I definitely noticed an increase in hair growth very quickly and in the nearly 3 months of taking biotin my hair has grown substantially. PROOF this works: I have had a 'bald patch' on the right side of my hairline for as long as I can remember and I never used to like wearing my hair up/straight back because my hairline was 'wonky'. Since taking biotin the hair there has been filling in for the first time *ever*. In fact there are new baby hairs all along my hairline, about 2 inches long, nearly as long as a fringe/bangs! That's proof enough for me. Friends who usually (playfully) tease me about having slow-growing hair have commented on the fact my hair is getting long and my boyfriend, who is a hairdresser has said my hair seems stronger. I took off one lippie because if I take the amount it says on the bottle (says to take up to 2 a day) I get bad headaches, which apparently is a common side effect of biotin... I now take one a day which is fine. My advice would be to try it out for yourself and see if it works for you, you really don't have that much to lose.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2013 2:35:00 AM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have 1000 mcg tablets which I began taking twice a day, spaced out to prevent losing all the vitamin in my urine. I did this for maybe 4 or 5 days and then forgot for a few days...suddenly I'm breaking out on my cheeks and back. I normally have no acne at all other than around my period, but it's definitely not that time of the month and I have at least 4 pimples. Sadly, unless I can figure out why exactly biotin causes breakouts and figure out a way around it, I won't try this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I buy Nature's Bounty brand at Wal-Mart for $7 for a bottle of 100 tables with 1000mg each. I started taking one tablet every day and broke out horrible. Scaled it back to one tablet every 3 days, worked up to every day and gradually worked up to 5 tablets or 5000mg every day. Take this with a regular multi-vitamin or it will break you out. I always had thin and bendy nails. They're now quite a bit harder and are still bendy but less prone to breakage. So make them grow longer make sure you get your heart rate up several times a day to get your blood flowing.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE! 7/20/2013
Well I got super lazy with taking these but did notice quicker hair growth. I've I ever get to being consistent with this, I know it'll work greatly.

Just started taking a couple of days ago. I purchased the Spring Valley brand from Walmart (I believe it's distributed only by Walmart) for $2.94..
My hair is very fine, kinky asian straight, and naturally black!
These pills I bought are really small like the size of an Aleve tablet and is a gel capsule which makes it easier to swallow too!! It comes with 150 pills 1,000mcg (or 1mg) each. I started off with a low dosage because I've read that many people get breakouts from taking higher dosages and want to avoid that route

Will update later!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Danyw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

All I have to say is that for me this was acne in a bottle! Holy cow, it caused the biggest acne breakout that I've ever had! It started to clear up the day after I stopped taking it. Take at your own risk if you are sensitive. I've researched and some say that if you take a B vitamin it will stop the acne, I'm not trying it but that may help some!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No