NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Iced Mocha

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

EDIT (10-19-10): Two of my pencils' caps have huge cracks even though they were treated very gently, so I've adjusted the packaging score from 4 to 2.

For reference, I am around MAC NC35, but I can be more yellow or olive toned than that depending on the weather, etc. I have shadowed, deep set eyes and hereditary dark circles.

DESCRIPTION:

NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils are chubby cream eye shadow pencils. Iced Mocha is a frosted medium tone, cool, taupe-y brown. (The shimmer isn't glittery by any means. It just gives the color a dewy look.) As with many of the JEP the pencil tip looks like a scary dark tone, but it goes on your hand as a lighter, but very pigmented tone. It is lovely and looks like a cream version of MACís Satin Taupe. Usually when people hear taupe, they think grey-brown, but this is more like a silver-brown. I usually canít wear anything that has a lot of grey because it makes me look like I havenít slept in 4 days, but this doesnít make me look very tired or anything. I donít wear it alone, though Iím sure you can, if youíre into cream shadows. You can use it as a lid color, or if you have darker skin, you can use it as a highlighter. I use it as a base for other shadows. It adds a really nice depth to them. I especially like to use it to tone down some of the orange tones in bronze eye looks to get a more neutral effect. (See below for 2 pics of me using it as a base. Sorry about the brows, and the picture quality; it was the best I could do with my camera at the time.)

COLOR PAYOFF: (5/5)

The color payoff for this particular pencil is excellent. You don't have to push down on your eye at all to get it to show up. You just barely need to touch your skin to get a sheen with shimmer. If you apply with a bit more pressure you get a nice, rich color.

TEXTURE: (4.5/5)

JEP are really creamy. They just glide on and are very soft. They are much softer and creamier than MAC Shadesticks, which tend to be fairly dry in consistency. They also donít need to be warmed up as much. Iíve never felt like I was tugging on my eyelids or anything, like I have when using my Beige-ing Shadestick. The JEP are also much sticiker than Shadesticks. Both can be effectively used as bases for pigments or mineral eye shadows.
Different JEP have slightly different textures. Some (I'm looking at you Black Bean!) can feel thin and kind of greasy. But most of them, Iced Mocha included, just feel creamy, and are not greasy at all. Also, the frost in the pencil is not gritty in the slightest. You can't even feel it.

STAYING POWER: (3/5)

JEP are very creamy, so they are prone to creasing. Theyíre not like MAC Shadesticks which are more dry, and thus not as likely to crease. Some shades are more likely than others to crease, depending on how thick or thin the formula of that particular color is. For example, if you compare Black Bean to Iced Mocha, Black Bean is thinner and tends to crease faster than Iced Mocha.
If you follow a few tricks, you can really increase the staying power of all of any shade you choose. The main trick to using these pencils is that you need less than you think! Second, blend what you have on your lid with a brush. Third, use a primer like Urban Decay Primer Potion under it, so itís not just sitting on your bare eyelid. Finally, I donít know how necessary this is, but after I put it on my lid and blend with the brush, I like to sometimes set it by dusting it with the vestiges of the powder on my face brush, before I put any powder shadows on.
I used to think that these pencils were crap and that they would crease on me in like 5 seconds, but I was just using them incorrectly. Honestly, you need a very sheer application. With UDPP underneath Iced Mocha, and some powder eye shadows on top, I had a look for almost 8 hours with almost no creasing (inside at about 70ļ F). This is actually pretty good because normal eye shadows crease on me at least a little by that point anyway even with UDPP.

PACKAGING: (2/5) (EDITED)

It is a chubby pencil with white wrapping and a clear plastic top so you can see the color of the crayon tip. There are some nice, unobtrusive designs on it, along with the NYX logo and the shade name. (The older versions are grey instead of white, and don't have any of the filigree on it.) Iím also glad NYX didnít write something like ďFor Sexy Babeís Eyes OnlyĒ on it, like they did with their eye shadow trios. *shudder* It's not the coolest or prettiest packaging I've seen, but it's nice.

COST: (1= dirt cheap, 5 = expensive) 1.5/5

One pencil costs 3 to 3.50 USD

MISCELLANEOUS:

I have very sensitive eyes and this has not irritated them, so I think they should be okay for people with sensitive eyes, but if you want to be sure, check with your doctor. I donít know if theyíre safe for contact lens users.

HOW TO SHARPEN: They can be sharpened, but because of how soft they are, it can be difficult. If you stick the pencil in the fridge or freezer, they become harder and easier to sharpen.

VERDICT: (4/5)

I really like this pencil. It would work for subtle and dramatic looks during the day or the night. I donít think Iíd ever run out of this because I honestly use so little in each application that this one pencil will probably last me a lifetime, but I would repurchase if I ever lost it.

INGREDIENTS: Ceresin Wax, Candelilla Wax, Bees Wax, Squalane, Hydrogenated Styrene, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Mineral Oils, Polyisobutene, Butylated Hydroxy Anisole, Propyl Paraben, Mica, Talc, C.I.77499, Pearl Powder.

Thanks for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you. =)

NYX JEP: Iced Mocha;

Full Size Image
" continued >>

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love this color (Iced Mocha) it is my absolute favorite. I ordered a second one immediately after receiving the first one, just in case it got discontinued. This color is similar to Mac's woodwinked. I use this as a base for most of my brown eye shadows or to bring out the color in pale pink eye shadows (such as MAC's pink suites).This is very pretty on it's own. I always prime my eyes first with concealer and powder. The only negative point about these NYX pencils is that they can not be sharpened.

on 12/27/2008 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Pretty awesome product. It's a shimmery cool brownish-taupe color. I wear it either alone or with Prestige's "Golden Retriever". It never creases on me (but then again, nothing ever does). Also, it's a tad cool-toned, but I still think would look good on every skin tone. I'm incredibly yellow, and I think it looks great! :D

on 11/23/2008 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I brought this because I had seen so many tutorials on youtube using it. I wish I hadn't. It creased on me and it showed up very glittery on my NC50 skin. My skin is very dry and it creased badly. I had better luck with the hip crayons. These remind me of the cheap crayons that you get at the beauty supply store. However the ones and the beauty supply actually work better. These pencils are very creamy and it can be difficulty to get precise application. On one hand I want to try another color. However this is the closest I could get to the brown shade that I want. I wish they made them a little less creamy and had a shade that was brown.

on 10/23/2008 10:46:00 PM

I bought 5 NYX Jumbo Pencils and today was the first go at them. I did apply Too Faced Shadow Insurance as a base and then put on the Iced Mocha. What a beautiful shade. Frosty, shimmery, and neutral. A very subtle shade that would probably look good on every skin tone. Easy to apply. Shadow stuck well to it. I was majorly worried about creasing and here I am 8 hours later showing very initial stages of creasing. For the price I am happy with the result. This is going to be a color that I can't stop using.

on 9/5/2008 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I really love this color and the texture of the pencil is so creamy and smooth, I love it! The only problem I have with these pencils is that they crease on me like crazy (i have an oily monolid) and because of that I don't think I will be purchasing anymore of these, which makes me really sad because I really wanted them to be a staple.

If you have bigger lids then this would probably be really great for you. I used UDPP and it was unsuccessful for me. :(

on 8/18/2008 10:11:00 PM

I got a couple, one of them iced mocha. I love this colour, it's a neutral colour on my skin tone so I sometimes use this either as a base, to blend with other colours, or just on its own. It works, the price is great, convenient and versatile. It's really creamy, soft and smooth.

edit : I took off some lippies because firstly they were a little huge for my large sharpener so I had to go get one from nyx (I found that some store do carry certain nyx products here; but not the jumbo pencils). Also after using a while I notice that they crease quite easily when the weather gets a little hot and my lids get more oily than usual.

on 7/17/2008 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I would buy this product again but not in this shade. It goes on smoothly, doesn't seem to crease, it lasts. . .but on me, it's a strange shimmery light brown that makes me look tired. I will try it again in another season to see if it just doesn't work on me in the summer.

on 6/30/2008 4:17:00 PM

I love big, fat eye color pencils since they make applying eye color so easy and mess-free. These NYX pencils are very inexpensive and come in a rather staggering array of colors. Iced Mocha is a medium taupe color with a faint plummy tone. It's rather frosty due to the silvery sheen. It's not metallic, but it is pretty shiny. This will definitely emphasize saggy or crepey eyelids.

The texture is very smooth and creamy--the pencil draws on beautifully--but it also creases quite a bit without a good base. I applied this over a powder shadow (NARS) and I have non-oily lids and I still got some creasing. Not a huge problem since it's so inexpensive and any MUA-er worth her salt will have a reliable eye base on hand already.

In sum: I'm not in love with this one due to the frostiness, but I would like to try other colors.

on 6/23/2008 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Wow... I rate this higher than MAC shadestick, it goes on SO smoothly, so creamy, it doesn't drag on my eye at all. Iced Mocha is a deep taupe with a slight frost to it, and is GREAT as a base to any sort of neutral, and as an eyeliner that can be applied with a minimal of effort. LOVE these, want to collect more!