Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 10/26/2012 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

As a reference, I have oily skin, noticeable pores on my nose, small wrinkles under my eyes (nooo!) and sometimes rough, bumpy texture on my forehead. I apply this to my t-zone and very lightly under my eyes after moisturizing and prior to foundation and concealer. This primer provides a smooth canvas for makeup application. I do notice that my makeup looks nicer when I have this on. It also fills in my pores and fine lines under my eyes. Unfortunately, this product does not keep my skin matte all day, like Smashbox claims. It keeps it matte for about 2 hours before oil starts to peak through. Also, the texture of my skin starts to look less smooth after about 5 hours of wear. Since I'm out and about at least 10 hours a day, I wouldn't repurchase this. The price is not worth how long it lasts. Lastly, although this product is marketed to people with oily, acne-prone skin, I think it would work better for people with normal to dry skin.

on 10/17/2012 5:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have a love hate relationship with this product. So I'm breaking my review down into two - PRODUCT - PACKAGING.

PRODUCT: The product itself is amazing. My make up doesn't budge when I use this and it really is my "go to" primer. Before this I had tried MAC's prep and prime and it broke me out all over my face! This product goes on beautifully is super silky and keeps my face looking nice and matte all day.

PACKAGING: I'm not sure what's going on at Smashbox HQ but the change in packaging is quite annoying and I still don't think they've mastered it. The first one I bought came in a pump type bottle- I didn't really like this as I felt a lot of the product towards the end was wasted and you wouldn't be able to get out - which is annoying considering how pricey this is in Australia $60. Then the packaging changed to a tube which helps get all the product out but I still think you end up wasting a lot of product towards the end - I will say being able to cut the end off the new tube means you can scoop out those last little pits but again you do end up wasting some product. Perhaps a tub form would be better?!

on 10/16/2012 10:57:00 PM

This is the only primer I have used. the first times I used it with a moisturizer for normal skin and this combination did not work for so I stopped using it. It just made my skin look dry. However when I changed to a moist. for dry skin it worked amazing!! I do have kind of dehydrated skin but very acne prone, but after changing moist. and together with this primer my makeup sits perfectly and skin looks smooth and has a perfect "shine". - does not look oily nor dry at all. I would defo buy this again but still curious to try other primers....

on 10/9/2012 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this product at Ulta after one of the sales associates recommended it to me when I explained that my skin has a tendency to get oily.
Overall, it does a nice job with controlling the oil on my skin and I don't find myself getting AS oily. That said, I do still get slightly shiny over the course of a few hours. My makeup stays in place nicely (although I usually use it in conjunction with Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation) and looks good after I get home after a long day. When I take my makeup off at the end of the night, there is A LOT on the towelette and that just proves how well it keeps everything in place. I don't really find the smell of it all that appealing, but that's minor unless you're really into the scents of products you use. I usually use a pea to dime-size amount on my entire face. I found that a little goes a long way!
I would indeed repurchase this product, however next time I need a primer, I may try the original just to see how the two compare.

on 9/18/2012 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I must say that this product is divine. At first I was hesitant to buy it because I have tried gazillions of primers like MAC prep+prime, L'oreal and the list goes on. and so far, this combat my oiliness due to the crazy weather here in the Philippines. It's kind of pricey though. I just hope it won't make my skin break out.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

When we were in NY, we went on a crazed primer hunt because it was super hot and humid and in the middle of a heat wave, and also Sephora took returns.
So between us we tried basically every primer stocked at Sephora and tested them against the 40 degree weather in NY, being outside all day and going into air con department stores, the subway etc. We would apply in the morning and check it at around midnight.
All 3 of us had different skins and all 3 of us left NY with one primer - this one.
This is not packed with silicone and so it won't irritate most skins. We got the regular version, but I also bought the green colour correcting one as a sample just to try. I don't see a huge benefit with the green one as opposed to the regular one.
I have used this under both liquid and mineral foundation and found that it improves both appearance and longevity.
We all agreed that this primer had the best feel and effect. Its a really light formula and goes on sort of like a moisturiser but then sinks in to nothing. Your skin just feels smooth and ready for makeup! I rub this into eyes as well and no irritation. Definitely didn't notice any clogging and did not cause blemishes!

More about me:
Asian normal skin - tending towards combination in summer
Was acne-prone for years
Foundation preference is to look as yellow as possible, absolutely nil pink
MAC NC-30, Shiseido O60
Sunscreen everyday - alternating between Sofina and Invisible Zinc

on 9/9/2012 11:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I use this primer most days. I have combination skin and find the original primer too heavy. I use this on my face and a little on my eyelids and it really does make my makeup look flawless! I know how much it works because when I wipe my make up off I realise how much I had on because of what comes off which proves it really does keep my make up on! I will definitely repurchase.

on 8/28/2012 4:51:00 PM

I don't spend 25 quid on any item of make up but I had heard such great things about this I had to try it. I was totally disappointed. When it first went in my skin felt really soft but it didn't keep my make up in place any longer than usual and the oil along my nose was possibly worse than usual.
I had such high hopes for this product but from now on I will be sticking to my old reliable Natio Ageless Primer.

on 8/18/2012 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This primer is a god send!! My skin is acne prone and also very oily, and I have been looking for a way to have my foundation stay longer and not turn into an oil slick in a matter of like two hours.
I read the reviews for it and was quite hesitant at first to try it since it seemed to make people oilier or break them out, but I tried it in store and just decided to try it since I would be able to take it back to the store if I didn't like it, and I am so glad I tried it!
This primer makes my T-zone matte all day and increases my foundations staying power A LOT! Also my pores look dramatically smaller right away. I would put my foundation on around 6 am and by 8 am my foundation would have dissapered and in its place would be oil.
Alittle goes a long way with this primer. I found out that when I put too much on, then it made the few dry flakes on like my nose, seem like a lot more than there actually is.
It is an expensive primer, I believe I got mine for $25, but this bottle will last me for months and months. This is my HG primer and I will most definently be buying this again.

on 8/14/2012 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I loved this when I first bought it, however, I recently discovered that this product was making my skin oilier rather than controlling shine. It smells ok, applies great and makes my foundation go on smoothly, but I have oil breakthroughs after four or five hours when I wear this and then again every two. When I skipped this and did the rest of my skincare routine, I went 7 hours with no breakthroughs and then just a little shine on my nose. I won't be buying this again.