December 21, 2014 | 1410 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2009 2:10:00 AM More reviews by Acadine

I've been using this product for about a month now. I was using Clean & Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser (the clear orange product) prior to Spectro Jel for Blemish-Prone Skin. There was nothing wrong with the Clean & Clear; Spectro Jel was on sale and I thought I'd give it a try, seeing as it's manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline, one of the leading pharmaceutical companies in the world. What other reviewers have said about the scent is true: the fragrance-free version does has a slight alcoholic/medicinal smell--something I don't find too surprising since, again, Spectro Jel is a product manufactured by a Big Pharma company specializing in medicine. The clear gel also doesn't foam, but it's still easily massaged onto your face.

Clean & Clear left my face feeling squeaky clean, whereas Spectro Jel leaves my face feeling ... not greasy, per se, but the same way your face feels after you've applied a light layer of moisturizer. The first time I used Spectro Jel, I thought to myself that I was going to break out for sure because I was so used to the squeaky-clean quality of Clean & Clear. However, I've been using Spectro Jel for about a month now and haven't broken out save for the occasional blemish during my period. People have started asking me what foundation and blush I'm using because apparently my face is glowing. I'm quite a tomboy and don't wear makeup except on special outings. (If anybody cares, I also use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion and St. Ives Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer interchangeably.) I haven't noticed any huge differences in my skin switching from the Clean & Clear to the Spectro Jel, but I guess the people around me have, so take that for what it's worth. So, to address the issue of Spectro Jel not leaving your face squeaky clean: I don't think this is a bad thing; it just means your skin isn't being completely stripped of its oils (Spectro Jel's claim of being "gentle") and that Spectro Jel is adding some moisturizer to your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2009 10:57:00 AM More reviews by teresa1083

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ok, so i have tried cetaphil many times because i wanted a gentle cleanser and was always dissapointed. I should have known to look a little further down along the bottom shelf to look for this gem. This cleans gently, removes makeup, and doesnt dry out my skin. Ok so it does smell kind of funny but not in a gross way, but in a medical cleaning supply kind of way. This stuff is total HG when combined with complex 15 moisturizer. They are both such unglamorous products but together they work better than any high end product i have ever tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2009 9:54:00 AM More reviews by FrugalMakeupAddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Spectro Jel for sensitive blemish prone skin for a few months now. I am quite impressed with this product. It has contributed to clearing up my skin, and I believe that one of the problems I had was over cleansing. I have oily, somewhat sensitive, breakout prone skin. I was using harsher cleansers, and exfoliaters and I think I was getting a rebound effect in terms of oiliness. I now have very balanced skin with only the odd blemish usually around the time of my period. My 13 year old has also been using this, ( and nothing else) and her skin has cleared up dramatically. It is very gentle, non drying, cleanses effectively with the exception of some of the super-stay formulas of foundation, in which case I use a makeup removing cloth first, then cleanse with Spectro Jel. The price is good for the amount you get and the packaging is convenient with a pump. It is fragrance free, PH balanced, and feels quite gentle on my skin. The scent takes a little getting used to at first. Maybe a little like alcohol? But it dissipates right away. I highly recommend this and I will be re-purchasing for sure.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2009 2:28:00 PM More reviews by mistyrioux

In my mid-twenties I developed really bad skin.I pick at my skin and squeeze my pores, which makes the problem worse.

I use this to try and combat break-outs, but I can't say if it really works or not. I do think my pores are smaller and cleaner, but it's likely all my poking and prodding override any anti-break-out impact it might have.

I can say that it feels nice, has no particular smell, and doesn't leave my skin flaky, dry feeling, or greasy at all. It doesn't feel harsh, and it doesn't irritate inflamed or open skin.

I use it while I condition my hair, so it's on for the recommended amount of time, but I don't always feel like continually rubbing it around on my skin. I certainly hope that doesn't make much of a difference in the results.

Of all the face washes I've tried, this is the one I definitely prefer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by sarahlen

This is in genreal a great cleanser.
Pros
-non drying
-oil free
-does not cause breakouts or agrivate existing ones
-very balancing

cons
- does not remove makeup as well as i need it to

sometimes i use a foaming cleanser to remove makeup and then this so i have a balanced base to apply treatment

Update: you dont know what you've got till it's gone! i recently rebought this after months of cleansers that left my skin dry, broken out and just generally irritated. everytime i go back to this i ask myself why i switched in the first place , oh yeah it sucks at taking off eye makeup and im to lazy for 2 steps but i will glady add an extra step to my routine to have breakout free skin that is calm and soft.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by perfectflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

The greatest cleanser I have ever used, it's cheap and cleanses very well with out the icky film cetaphil cleanser left.I love the pump bottle. I now use the lotion as well because I\m young and all I need are gentle simple products for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 11:53:00 PM More reviews by ET3638

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this product for over two years, and then decided to try a different face wash (stupid of me to!). I went and got me a bottle of Khiel's Centella fashwash, that broke my fingers out into a fit of eczema and did almost nothing for my face. Then I decided to try Rocky Mountain Soap's avocado soap, again it did nothing for my face and I just kept breaking out even more. Then I decided to switch over to Derma E's glycolic cleanser. I thought it was working for me, but in the end I just broke up in to a million zits. (I used Derma E's Tea Tree (Clear Skin 3) face cream too). Frustrated, I just went and picked up another bottle of Spectro Jel Problem Prone Skin, and just after 3 days, my face is finally starting to clear up again. I don't even know WHY I strayed from this God sent face wash. The best facial cleanser that I've used.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2009 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought a huge bottle of this maybe...6 months ago. Real cheap. I'm a teenager so my skin tends to get really messy whenever I don't eat right or whatever. First of all: the SMELL! Okay, I'm not a big fan of flowery fragrances or fruity smells when I wash my skin. But this is even worse. It smells awful, like alcohol or something. Anyways, beside the smell, it's not too effective, though it NEVER made me break out. It just doesn't worsen acne, that's all. It never totally cleared out my face or anything. I go back to this whenever I break out more than usual. It does help a little but that's all. It's really gentle because of the gel-like consistency. Another thing that bothers me: the product always gets stuck in the pump. The gel tends to dry out when it's in contact with the air for too long. So I always need to clean the thing, which is kind of annoying. Last thing: DO NOT expect this to take off your makeup. This product is not meant to do so.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by kris4life4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Was first introduced to Spectro Jel when I was on Accutane for a little while. I love this cleanser, have been using it for over 10 years now. I'm resigned to the fact that nothing will ever control my skin completely, or stop me from breaking out once in a while, but still...this cleanser is great. Totally doesn't dry your skin out at all. It's different, because I was always used to using cleansers that made suds...the more the better, I thought! This really is just a gel, no suds. But it still leaves your face feeling clean.
There's a "matching" moisturizer available now. I want to try that too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2009 7:12:00 PM More reviews by iluvboyz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was put on Accutane about a year ago. My skin basically became raw for the 6 month coarse. The ONLY thing my dermatologist recommend for me was this face wash. I was able to use this and it didn't irritate my skin what so ever. Also, now that I'm off of it it still works just as great for me. It cleans my skin without being harsh. When I first started using this I thought it wasn't cleansing my skin because its so gentle but it does. Just make sure you follow the directions of rubbing the cleanser in circular motions for 30 seconds. I usually only use this in the morning or at night after my neutrogena cleanser. The only downside to this is it doesn't remove make up that well. I would totally recommend this cleanser to anyone with skin problems. Sometimes, when you have bad skin and you use harsh products your only making the problem worse!!