April 18, 2014 | 1963 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Pro Lipstick - Show Orchid

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2008 4:54:00 AM More reviews by pikacharma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Holy crap, FINALLY, a true neon pink lipstick. I'm in sort of an 80's retro state of joyous euphoria here, since I discovered Show Orchid the same day I discovered Greenglo pencil, but even with my inner Rainbow Brite retro child aside, I am in complete and total awe of how amazing this lipstick is.

First of all - THIS IS NEON PINK. It is not "pink", "bright pink", "kind of fuchsia", or anything like that. This. Is. Neon. Pink. As in, it makes Girl About Town look subdued by comparison, and blows Fun n Sexy completely out of the water in terms of pigmentation. The way it looks in the tube is the way it looks on your lips, end of story. It goes on neon pink, and it STAYS neon pink. The staying power is downright amazing. It stays full force for hours and hours, and even after you've worn it all day and eaten, it makes its presence known. Sure, it rubs off a little, but it leaves this gorgeous bright fuchsia stain behind. It's also non-drying, goes on really smoothly, and feels wonderful on your lips. If you're into blindingly bright neons, this lippie is a gift from heaven, but for the love of god STAY AWAY if your tastes lean toward the subtle and understated. Even applied with the lightest hand and diligently blotted after application, this stuff was born to be wild, and it's going to be incredibly bright no matter what you do.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2008 6:52:00 PM More reviews by missmarkers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love Fuschia lipsticks....with that said, I had to have Show Orchid. I had only seen swatches of it online but in person, it does NOT disappoint. It's an amplified cream formula (pro shade) and I don't find that it's too creamy or too drying. If you blot it once lightly, it feels more like a satin lipstick. Show Orchid is a gorgeous blue based bright fuschia. Because it's an amplified cream, it doesn't have frost or shimmer to it but it does have slight violet tones to it. A very gorgeous shade that I haven't seen anything close to in color....but as others have mentioned, it's kind of similiar to Rocking Chick, I only agree that it's similiar in the tube (minus the frost of RC). If you're a fan of hot pink lipsticks, you NEED this color! Gorgeous lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2008 8:42:00 PM More reviews by princess_savannah

Well, what can I say. I am a sucker for fuschia lippies and already own Fun n Sexy and Hollywood Nights. However, I saw beautiful Show Orchid swatched on Specktra, and I fell in love! The most beautiful, brilliant fuschia you can imagine. This is what I picture Rockin Chick looking like, though I do not have that one. I decided to try to find Show Orchid, which is a pro color only. I lucked up and won an eBay auction for this. I was not disappointed. This is an amplified creme, which is brilliantly pigmented and not drying. Wearing this makes my lips look full and my eye color pop. I love this lipstick!! If you are a fuschia lippie fan and love MAC I strongly suggest that you buy this one if you can get your hands on it! It will not disappoint.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2007 6:23:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

WARNING: If any of the following conditions apply to you, do not go near this product:
1)You dislike bright lipcolors.

2)You dislike blue-based lipcolors.

3)You don't want any attention drawn to your face, especially your lips.

4)You despised the MAC "Barbie" collection.

5)You don't want to look younger than your actual age.
I included condition #4 because "Show Orchid," a Pro shade(but essentially just a regular MAC Amplified Creme lippie) released in summer of 2007, looks like a color that would have fit right into the "Barbie" collection. In fact, "Show Orchid"(hereafter SO) looks to my eyes like a more pigmented version of "Rocking Chick," minus the frost.

Miriam-Webster defines the color "orchid" as " a light purple." That describes SO *fairly* well, though I would characterize SO as a bright, slightly purple-tinged pink, as opposed to a pink-tinged purple.

In other words, I think SO is more pink than purple.The shade description on the MAC pro site reads, "Vivid hot pink." That's pretty close, and for once the "swatch" on the web is pretty darned color-true. I've posted a very color-true photo at the top of the page; it came from a MAC site. As long as you're prepared for stop-traffic BRRRIGHT, I think you'll be okay.
An Amplified Creme, SO offers opaque coverage, and stains the lips, so wear is tenacious. Chapstick underneath, and a bit of gloss on top keep the feel moist and comfortable.

This color, though definitely not for everyone, is just my "thing," so I'd certainly buy again. I'm NW15, and SO makes my skin look "creamy and dreamy." I almost feel like I don't need any other makeup, including foundation, when I wear SO! You gotta love that ...
Though SO is a Pro product, and therefore maybe a bit trickier to get, it's permanent, not LE, as it seems that many of my favorite colors are. This is a great one! If you like "girly" pinks,SO should probably go into your collection.
ADDENDUM: My favorite way to wear "Show Orchid" is with "Magenta" lip pencil, then blotted slightly and topped with "Ms. Fizz" Dazzleglass. It's not a neutral, subtle look, but it *is* fresh, fun, girly and flattering. It's just right for spring! This is one of MAC's best bright pinks, IMO. continued >>

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No