December 20, 2014 | 1567 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2008 12:01:00 AM More reviews by LexiB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Okay, I used to think this was crap but it's great. It's mainly good if you're trying to remove one hair color. So if you've dyed your hair black a million times and want to get rid of it, this might not do the job completely. i dyed my hair dark brown after lightening it and i realized it was too dark so i used this today. currently it's brassy and orange (it's supposed to be that way after using a product like this) but it's lighter, so I can put a new color on. thank you color oops!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2008 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Jworion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product does what it needs to do, pull color from hair but do not expect it to leave your hair healthy. I used this twice to remove black from my hair before going blonde. Nonetheless my hair was damaged anyway but the section of hair towards the bottom that was the heaviest of black is now very severely damaged and because of the color oops I have to either cut it off or grow it it out before I can get rid of these frizzy ends. So use this product WITH CAUTION!! and condition condition condition!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2008 7:06:00 PM More reviews by Uncle_Joey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this product has now rescued me two times from ashy-ness. my hair is porous and sucks up color like crazy--the most recent time, i left a toner on for under 4 minutes, mixed with a 10 vol developer, and my level 8/9 highlights blonde hair turned GREYISH BROWN. color oops sucked it right out. the smell is foul, like rancid perm solution and broccoli, but it WORKS, and it will not destroy your hair. after shampooing and conditioning following color oops, my hair felt like and looked like normal. it's well worth the stench! i can only find it at rite aid in my area, and costs about $10.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2008 8:04:00 PM More reviews by ChuckysBaby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This saved my life!
Im known for my hot pink bright hair
one day i decide to add a little normal color to it
I was going for more reddish
but i ended up with a dye that totally turned brown!
color oops got it back to the condition it was before & i was able to redye the same day & my hair didnt even fall out!

although like other people said, it does have a weird rotten egg smell to it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2008 4:32:00 PM More reviews by english_nerd

This product did a pretty decent job removing the dark red color from my naturally blonde-brown hair. (Note: The color had already been in for a few weeks and was fading on its own, so I'm not sure how this works a day or two after dyeing. However, there was still a fair bit of color left to be removed- enough to show some very obvious roots, eugh!!) The main draw back to this product, other than the amount of time it took (almost forty minutes by the time it had sat processing, then been shampooed and rinsed the numerous times instructed) was the sulfurous stench. Like raw eggs- or maybe worse. Probably not a great idea to use this product in a small room if possible. I went into the bathroom the morning after and could still smell chemicals in the air. So if you dye your hair and it's beyond help, this is a good product: relatively cheap ($9.99) and effective. However, if it can be fixed with another color, or you're very sensitive to chemical smells, I would probably avoid Color Oops.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2008 12:42:00 AM More reviews by paudesigns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this product, I have blonde hair with many highlights and i decided i wanted to look brunette but it looked awful on me so i buy this product and wow my blond is back again, i just put another blonde color on and i look exactly the same as i was before this coloration. No damage, and yes it turned a little bit orange but with another dye it is perfect.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2008 7:22:00 PM More reviews by erynnia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This seemed to be pretty much the same thing as Colorfix. The ingredient list is different but it affected my hair in exactly the same way. I had a few months' worth of brown dye that was getting too dark. Color Oops brought it back to my natural lighter reddish-brown. I'd already read all the reviews here and many at Walgreens.com, so I was very diligent about trying to 'rinse the dye molecules out'. Also went much lighter than usual for the re-dye color (re-dye necessary due to gray). The new dye process still seemed to "re-activate" the old dye, just like colorfix, so I have the typical too-light roots, ridiculously dark ends.

Hair texture was also really awful until re-conditioning.

I guess this would work the best for someone who does not need to re-dye and is happy with the 'natural' color after removal. Not a miracle product like I was hoping, sadly.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/7/2008 2:14:00 PM More reviews by JenniferDeann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I actually used this product a little more than a year ago. I had dyed my hair a light golden brown and the results were way too dark. I went to Walgreen's and saw this product. It took the brown out and left my hair much lighter. I should've just left it the way it was because redying it does make it more ashy. About six months later I had another disaster and went to Walgreen's and to my disappointment, all they had was the Extra Strength Color Oops. I bought it anyways. That product, I believe, ruined my hair. It was much too strong. To this day my hair feels "sticky" when wet as it's drying, and I've been dealing with a green problem ever since. It's been difficult to live with, and I'll just have to wait until that damaged hair grows out, which will take awhile because my hair is longish. So, in short, go for the Regular Strength. Update 4/5/10: I had another disaster two days ago so I went to CVS this morning to get this. They, too, only had the Extra Strength version, but it said "New", so I bought it anyways. It's a lot better now! The last time I used it it stunk of rotten eggs and fried my hair. This time while the odor was a little unpleasant, it was nowhere near as bad as before. And my hair is not damaged from this process. My hair is now very light, but at least the bad home color-job is gone!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by emily897

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I regret ever starting to dye my hair. Over the past year or two it has turned into somewhat of an obsession. I have naturally golden dark brown hair, which I was unhappy with because I thought it looked bad with my fair skin. So I started dying it ashy brown, and progressively darker, until yesterday I dyed it black (natural instincts). THE WORST MISTAKE I EVER MADE! It looked awful! It was then that I decided I just wanted my virgin, natural hair color back. I went to the drugstore and picked this up for 8 bucks. As I was in the shower rinsing it out, my hair looked orange and really light. I started to get really scared, thinking I'd just made myself into bozo the clown. But once i began to blow dry my hair, I saw that it was, in fact, extremely close to my natural color. I've dyed my hair with permanent dye before, so I'm assuming the orange-y tinge is from the peroxide. Its really not too bad though.... its very subtle. But I'm going to pick up some toner today. Overall, this has been a life saver! It didn't ruin my hair (which is actually quite soft right now) and it got rid of all that icky black. My only qualm is the smell, which is a bit like sewage, though not too strong. But when you're in a pinch, who cares what it smells like as long as it works. Would definitely repurchase, but I doubt I'll be going near hair dye again any time soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 5:26:00 PM More reviews by bluesiren9015

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't believe color technology has come this far! Hooray! We no longer have to bleach our hair to get it lighter after a bad dye job. I had used two casting semi-permanent dyes since my hair was virgin and the last was a light golden brown but it came out medium reddish brown. I didn't like the red (wanted golden tones not red)so I decided to try this after reading good reviews. I was scared though of course! After using this product, my hair looks pretty good actually - a beautiful dark golden blond though on the brassy side as these are my undertones (my natural is a dark ash blonde).

This is how the product works - it removes all artificial hair color (both permanent and semi-permanent) but not any of your own natural pigment. You have to keep in mind that the hair dye you used on it already removed some of your hair's natural pigment even if you are going darker so if you are blond, your hair will be like your natural only with your yellow undertones exposed. If you are light brown naturally, then you will have orange undertones exposed. Medium brown or darker will expose some of your natural red undertones. Some people like the effect of going back to their natural color, only brighter (Those who've used permanent's will be brighter than those who've used semi's since permanent color lightens hair two levels before depositing color). Most will probably want to use a toner afterwards.

When dyeing your hair afterwards, be careful. This product makes your hair a little more porous so any dyes will come out darker and ashier than normal. They recommend using a shade lighter and golden tones to get a good coloring result. A protein filler to equalize hair's porosity is also recommended. I imagine a neutral hair color in a shade lighter than your own would be okay too for those who don't want the gold but definitely stay away from ashy tones!

Keep in mind, this product won't bring your hair back to your original color if you have lightened it. This is because when you lighten, you have already removed so much of your natural pigment. It's not recommended for those who've lightened their hair.

Pros: The reason why this product is so great is that it is way better than bleach, less damaging than bleach, more even color removal, and only removes what you want to remove (the artificial not natural pigment). This is truly extraordinary to me especially because I've had so many times dyed my hair in the past and could have been saved by this product if I only knew it existed.

Cons: A small price to pay but this will leave your hair in a dryer more porous condition and the formula smells awful (like a perm). Also, the gloves are poor quality. They should definitely spring for some better gloves with this product. Furthermore, the formula is runny so it isn't the easiest thing to maneuver through your hair.

Overall, I am really pleased with my results and happy that we have more options now when coloring our hair at home.

Note: I used the regular strength and it worked fine but you may need extra strength if you are trying to remove black or hair color that has been on your hair a long time. The faster you use it after you color, the easier it is to remove the color. Also, your local beauty supply may not carry this. I found it at Rite-Aid and I've heard they have it at Walgreens too.

Warning: Be wary of other hair color removal products. Not all of them remove only the artificial pigment like Color Oops.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No