Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

3.7

on 12/11/2008 8:28:00 PM

I knew going into to trying this product that it may go wrong because my hair was dyed black. It's not freshly dyed, I did it about 1 1/2 months ago. Naturally my hair is a brownish-red. I knew with the stripping process there would be a huge possibility it would turn my hair red... but I was willing to try anything to get rid of the black. WELL, it not only took all of the black out... but now it could easily be considered a bright fried orange. It didn't do much damage, or at least any that I could feel. Even though it did what it said and removed all of black... which I'm ecstatic about, it looks completely horrible.
I've heard other horror stories about putting a dye on it even though it says you can... but in this case, I'll take my chances.

*EDIT*: I put a auburn color over it about an hour after stripping it. I left the color in for the full time... and it resulted in this really pretty black auburn color. Looks black, otherwise when light hits it has red highlights. I wasted almost $20 for the same color I had in the beginning.
Just be careful when using this. Tricky stuff.

on 12/4/2008 6:53:00 PM

Color Oops is great, it did exactly what it said it would. I tried to dye my hair a light brown from a light blonde and it was a dark, ashy mess. This product lifted most of the color off. It does smell like old hot dog, quite sickening. But it works great, just make sure you shampoo and rinse for at least 20 minutes. And you're going to need a good conditioning treatment because it dries the hair out badly.

on 9/18/2008 12:01:00 AM

Okay, I used to think this was crap but it's great. It's mainly good if you're trying to remove one hair color. So if you've dyed your hair black a million times and want to get rid of it, this might not do the job completely. i dyed my hair dark brown after lightening it and i realized it was too dark so i used this today. currently it's brassy and orange (it's supposed to be that way after using a product like this) but it's lighter, so I can put a new color on. thank you color oops!

on 9/13/2008 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product does what it needs to do, pull color from hair but do not expect it to leave your hair healthy. I used this twice to remove black from my hair before going blonde. Nonetheless my hair was damaged anyway but the section of hair towards the bottom that was the heaviest of black is now very severely damaged and because of the color oops I have to either cut it off or grow it it out before I can get rid of these frizzy ends. So use this product WITH CAUTION!! and condition condition condition!!

on 9/3/2008 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this product has now rescued me two times from ashy-ness. my hair is porous and sucks up color like crazy--the most recent time, i left a toner on for under 4 minutes, mixed with a 10 vol developer, and my level 8/9 highlights blonde hair turned GREYISH BROWN. color oops sucked it right out. the smell is foul, like rancid perm solution and broccoli, but it WORKS, and it will not destroy your hair. after shampooing and conditioning following color oops, my hair felt like and looked like normal. it's well worth the stench! i can only find it at rite aid in my area, and costs about $10.

on 8/2/2008 8:04:00 PM

This saved my life!
Im known for my hot pink bright hair
one day i decide to add a little normal color to it
I was going for more reddish
but i ended up with a dye that totally turned brown!
color oops got it back to the condition it was before & i was able to redye the same day & my hair didnt even fall out!

although like other people said, it does have a weird rotten egg smell to it.

on 7/24/2008 4:32:00 PM

This product did a pretty decent job removing the dark red color from my naturally blonde-brown hair. (Note: The color had already been in for a few weeks and was fading on its own, so I'm not sure how this works a day or two after dyeing. However, there was still a fair bit of color left to be removed- enough to show some very obvious roots, eugh!!) The main draw back to this product, other than the amount of time it took (almost forty minutes by the time it had sat processing, then been shampooed and rinsed the numerous times instructed) was the sulfurous stench. Like raw eggs- or maybe worse. Probably not a great idea to use this product in a small room if possible. I went into the bathroom the morning after and could still smell chemicals in the air. So if you dye your hair and it's beyond help, this is a good product: relatively cheap ($9.99) and effective. However, if it can be fixed with another color, or you're very sensitive to chemical smells, I would probably avoid Color Oops.

on 6/16/2008 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really like this product, I have blonde hair with many highlights and i decided i wanted to look brunette but it looked awful on me so i buy this product and wow my blond is back again, i just put another blonde color on and i look exactly the same as i was before this coloration. No damage, and yes it turned a little bit orange but with another dye it is perfect.

on 3/16/2008 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This seemed to be pretty much the same thing as Colorfix. The ingredient list is different but it affected my hair in exactly the same way. I had a few months' worth of brown dye that was getting too dark. Color Oops brought it back to my natural lighter reddish-brown. I'd already read all the reviews here and many at Walgreens.com, so I was very diligent about trying to 'rinse the dye molecules out'. Also went much lighter than usual for the re-dye color (re-dye necessary due to gray). The new dye process still seemed to "re-activate" the old dye, just like colorfix, so I have the typical too-light roots, ridiculously dark ends.

Hair texture was also really awful until re-conditioning.

I guess this would work the best for someone who does not need to re-dye and is happy with the 'natural' color after removal. Not a miracle product like I was hoping, sadly.

I actually used this product a little more than a year ago. I had dyed my hair a light golden brown and the results were way too dark. I went to Walgreen's and saw this product. It took the brown out and left my hair much lighter. I should've just left it the way it was because redying it does make it more ashy. About six months later I had another disaster and went to Walgreen's and to my disappointment, all they had was the Extra Strength Color Oops. I bought it anyways. That product, I believe, ruined my hair. It was much too strong. To this day my hair feels "sticky" when wet as it's drying, and I've been dealing with a green problem ever since. It's been difficult to live with, and I'll just have to wait until that damaged hair grows out, which will take awhile because my hair is longish. So, in short, go for the Regular Strength. Update 4/5/10: I had another disaster two days ago so I went to CVS this morning to get this. They, too, only had the Extra Strength version, but it said "New", so I bought it anyways. It's a lot better now! The last time I used it it stunk of rotten eggs and fried my hair. This time while the odor was a little unpleasant, it was nowhere near as bad as before. And my hair is not damaged from this process. My hair is now very light, but at least the bad home color-job is gone!