October 23, 2014 | 1869 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - Mattifying Make-up Base

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2008 9:54:00 AM More reviews by Sesheta

I got this primer ages ago to try and stop my face shining like an oil slick when I wore foundation to work. As other posters have commented it can be a bit of a nightmare to use with liquid foundations, resulting in a patchy and gloopy finish.

So it was sitting at the bottom of my makeup box until I recently converted to mineral foundations. I use Everyday Minerals in Ivory with the Sunlight finishing powder on top and for normal days it's fine, I just make sure I bring some blotting papers in my bag for lunchtime touchups.

The other day though I was going out staight out after work and wanted my makeup to have some extra staying power so I dug out the primer. My moisturiser had already sunk in when I applied it and I left a good ten minutes for the primer to settle before applying the rest of my makeup (no hardship, I just went and had my breakfast).

It worked like a dream. The makeup stayed firmly in place and looked absolutely flawless all day, no hint of a shine. I did reapply some powder before I went out but mainly to change the finish rather than any need for maintenance. Even at the end of the night it looked great and wasn't shiny...now that's what I call a primer!

I'm definately going to repurchase this when it runs out (which is going to be a lot sooner now I've found it's strength)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Brunneria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It didn't seem to do anything except make me notice how oily my skin was. Gave up after 3 days, I think.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2008 12:58:00 AM More reviews by KingTaco

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I am ridiculously oily, so I tried this product to control my t-zone. It's pretty bad under foundation; it seeps into pores and makes my foundation look cakey.
On its own, it's nice at controlling my oily spots and it evens out my complexion.
I won't buy it again because I hardly ever go without foundation, so the day I do use it are far and few between.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2008 3:38:00 PM More reviews by crazyfrog13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have a pretty oily skin and a little dab of this on my T-zone works great. It's not a miracle worker but it does help keep the oilies at bay (usually my face is an oil slick within a couple of hours of putting on my makeup). I use fewer blotting papers throughout the day when I wear this. As others have mentioned, it does have a grainy texture, but I find it's not a problem as long as a I blend it well; my foundation/powder smooth right over top of it like there's nothing there. The price is decent (about $10 CA at SDM) and a little goes a long way, so one bottle will probably last me quite a while. I will mostly likely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2008 7:46:00 AM More reviews by rosarose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is only good if you don't want to wear makeup over it. It makes foundation cakey and patchy and the texture is horrible to apply. It does work at keeping you matte but you can't wear any makeup over it which defeats the object of it being a primer!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2007 4:22:00 PM More reviews by jadkin

i bought this on sale at SDM for $10. tiny bottle, but easy to squeeze and you can control how much comes out. you smooth it on your face and it almost has a grainy feel to it, but it mattifies your skin pretty much instantly. i use BE mineral foundation with MAC skinfinish powder on top and i have had no problems with this... it keeps my makeup looking fresh into the afternoon, and i have an oil-pump for a face! hasn't broken my sensitive skin out at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2007 2:47:00 AM More reviews by amieko

At first, I absolutely hated this product. I was expecting that smooth, velvety texture of a Smashbox primer but instead, when I tried to spread it on my face, it balled up and looked like a flakey white residue. Ick. As mentioned in previous reviews, application is key. I moisturized and applied it in a light patting motion with my ring finger to blend it in and let it dry before applying foundation. I was amazed--I've tried many kinds of primers and t-zone mattifiers and nothing has come close to Boots. Normally after using the Smashbox primer I would have to blot my t-zone 3-4 times during the work day. With this product, my t-zone was decent for a good 8 hours with no blotting. However, I do miss the smooth finish that primers like Smashbox and Mac Prep & Prime gave my face so I wouldn't buy this if you're looking for a base to give your foundation a good finish. If you're looking for something concentrated on your t-zone to control oil, this product is a good bet for the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2007 1:13:00 AM More reviews by ccope4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this on a whim since it was only $10 at Target. thanks to the review below, I have found a way to use it that works...by waiting until my moisturizer is completely set in (wait about 10 mins) and then just lightly dabbing/patting it in the t-zone, not rubbing or smearing it.
I am sure I will repurchase this again as I notice I am much less oily when I use this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2007 3:47:00 PM More reviews by MMarie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

In my request for the "anti shine" look this product was recommended by a fellow "super oily gal". I do like this product and it is the best one I have used so far to keep oilies at bay. It does not keep me shine free all day, I seriously doubt that is possible but, it sure helps a lot!!! I have a VERY oily t-zone & large pores and I apply to this area in a very thin layer only. This product is only for the super oily only!! Others will not appreciate it. Only draw for me is it is almost impossible to find in my area. I received my tubes of it through swaps. Which by the way the tube is 1.3 oz & will last a very long time!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2007 10:29:00 AM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a tricky product, but I thought I'd try since it's so cheap.
I agree with the previous reviewers, who say it is difficult to spread. But after a little experimenting, I realized that application is key, and if applied properly, it works better for me than any other primers I've ever tried (and I tried lots-Smashbox Anti-Shine and Photofinish, Clarins, Clinique, BE Prime Time, and the list goes on).
You only need to apply very little, much less than any other primer. Then, do not rub, sort of pat it on; if rubbed, it will ball up, because of its non-slippery texture. Then, let it sit for a couple of minutes, so it dries completely and sets. Then, apply your regular foundation.
Used this way, this is the only product that has ever succeeded in keeping me matte for a very long time.
It dries up to a powdery finish, and although it has silicones, it doesn't have that greasy siliconey feel to it, more like a rubbery one. There is a slight chemical smell in the beginning, but it disappears very fast.
It hasn't broken me out (yet).
It's a great product for me, but I can see how it would not work for someone with dry flakey skin, or if it gets applied in thick layers, or rubbed in.