Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70

3.0

PPD: 9.1 ||| Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3.0%), Homosalate (15.0%), Octisalate (5.0%), Octocrylene (2.8%), Oxybenzone (6.0%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6 Naphthalate, Beeswax, Caprylyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, BHT, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Acrylates C12 22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Trideceth 6, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disodium EDTA, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, 9.1

on 4/20/2009 11:37:00 PM

I have been using this product for 3 years now, and I still love it even though I'm also using the new Garnier skin renew Anit-sun-damage lotion on workdays to get rid of the old damages (which is highly recommended). With the Ultra Sheer you do have to be careful not to rub too hard around the eye area because it does sting a little sometimes, so if you have sensitive skin this product might not be great for you. I love it because it stopped sun spots appearing on my face and I don't have to worry about reapplying even when I'm out in the sun all day.

on 4/14/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Kind of puzzled by the reviews on this--not that people can't have different opinions from me, but I'm not experiencing the same texture problems people describe--it's definitely not like glue or like paste. I wonder if there've been multiple formulations? I definitely do have the SPF70. It's not oily or greasy or paste-like, but you do have to work quickly as it absorbs/dries fast (hence the name, I guess). It leaves a definitely workable texture for makeup application and I don't see lingering whiteness.

It does not break me out, although I am not prone to breakouts in the first place. Most importantly to me, it does not trigger my rosacea or irritate my easily flushed skin in any way.

on 4/4/2009 2:40:00 PM

I can't figure out why others don't seem to like this product.
It's not too greasy (in fact very matte), it doesn't break me out, and it's SPF 70. The smell doesn't have that quintessential sunscreen odor. What more can I ask for?

The packaging:
is neat. Unlike other products, I never have to wipe off crusted bits of sunscreen. Big plus. It's gross when I have to clean my skincare products. The tube is as long as my hand and about 21/2" wide. It's lasted me for 6 months now, and I'm only halfway through.

The price:
is somewhere around $8-$9, I believe? Not dirt cheap, but not steep for a good sunscreen. I am stingy, though, so don't base your decision on me. :D

I will repurchase this product as soon as I run out.

on 3/23/2009 2:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

After using it for over a week, I would recommend this. Please read all of the review as to why I would.

The first day I used it, it had no ill effect on my skin UNTIL I was in the shower, trying to clean this off my face. I used my usual foaming cleanser. When I rubbed my eye area (with my eyes closed, of course!), my eyelids were burning and stinging like crazy! I seriously thought my eyelids were going to burn off or something. I have never had this type of reaction in the last 5+ years, using the foaming cleanser.

The second day, the stinging wasn't so bad, but it still stung when washing my face. The third day onward, I did not feel anything while washing my face.

Also, I noticed that when I apply my foundation after applying the sunblock, there was a bit of stinging during the first week. I don't have it anymore.

I guess in order to NOT have these problems, you just have to let your skin get used to the sunblock.

Some reviewers complain about the consistency/color once it's on their face and/or the way it makes your make up look after all their makeup is applied. If you wait about 15 minutes to let the sunblock absorb into your skin and let it "dry," you won't have any of those problems. In fact, I think my make up looks better when I use the sunblock.

I really think that it's worth it for anyone to endure the one week of stinging and give it the 15 minute "drying" period (even if it means they have to wake up 15 min earlier) because of the high SPF. SPF of 70 means that it actually blocks over 98% of the harmful UV rays.

**UPDATE**
I started to get tiny pimples on my face, and LOTS of them -- I would have new pimples at night that I didn't have in the morning. I got pimples in places I've never gotten pimples before.

As soon as I stopped using it, my skin started to clear up. I guess my skin just couldn't tolerate it, although this product is suppose to me non-comedogenic. So I will still give it 2 lippies, just because this product is a good UVA/B blocker. My husband still uses it, and he's perfectly fine.

on 2/22/2009 5:34:00 AM

doesn't rub in! leaves white flakes all over the skin, and all over your clothes aswell. It also caused the skin on my nose to turn dry and flakey. ew!

on 2/7/2009 12:34:00 AM

I bought this becuase of the high SPF, however this is so thick and greasy feeling I felt dirty! I am taking this back tommorrow. It does have a good smell to it...but just feels like crisco on my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought this for the high PPD, but it is completely unwearable. It has the consistency of Elmer's Glue, and leaves an overall white cast with very noticeable individual white streaks. I can only imagine the clogging potential this has, but I'm not going to risk any breakouts now that I finally have my acne under control. This goes back today!

on 11/22/2008 3:48:00 PM

Overall: Very happy with this product. Apply after my moisturizer and prior to foundation, this sunblock is quickly absorbed by my skin and remains matte. Use all year round.

Packaging: Big fan of the packaging - Travels well, lid stays on, not messy. Plus the 3.0oz tube is carry-on friendly which means I don't have to check baggage at the airports.

Price: approx $9 for 3oz. bottle

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Styrene Acrylate Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Naphthalate, Beeswax, Caprylyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, BHT, Dimethicone, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Acrylates C12 22 Alkyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Xanthan Gum, Trideceth 6, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disodium EDTA, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance

on 10/21/2008 2:56:00 AM

All I can say about this product is that I'm lucky I didn't have to buy it because my aunt gave me her unfinished tube. If not, I would have been wasting my money. I tried it as it was recommanded by my dermatologist. It was just like all the sunblocks I've tried- oily and sticky. The SPF 70 is much worse than the SPF 30 one, which I liked better. I then used it to apply on my neck since I couldn't use it on my face. It actually made rashes appear on my neck. So basically, I'm now stucked with a product that's too oily and sticky for my face, and creates rashes on my neck. Won't purchase. I might use the rest of the tube on my body, I feel its more of a body sunblock due to the thickness of it.

on 10/20/2008 12:08:00 AM

I'm surprised by the number of negative reviews of this product. I generally use La Roche Posay brand, but because it's hard to get in the U.S., I bought Neutrogena for my backpacking trip overseas.

The good part of this product: it really works! I spent a lot of time on the beaches and never got any sunburns. It's not greasy and goes well under makeup. It has a broader spectrum coverage most other sunscreens available in the U.S., which is important in preventing wrinkles as well as preventing sunburns.

The only gripe I have with this product is that the cream separates after a few months....so had to throw the bottle out and buy a new one.