August 27, 2014 | 1774 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by dolphin82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this because it was natural and no chemical sunscreen and was a primer. When I forst used it I was visitng family in Florida. I washed my face and put my light moisturizer on. I let it dry and then put the City Block on. I liked it a lot because it seem to even out my skin and fill my pores. I then put Clinique's Almost Powder make-up on over it. When I did this I couldn't drag the sponge put I patted it on lightly. The city block would get on the sponge (not a big deal if you keep the plastic disk between the sponge and powder). I loved the flawless look I had and very minimal make up on. We went to the beach....it then felt very heavy in the sun and I could feel it melting. It made me very hot. I still continued to use, just not at the beach.

Update:
It separates over time (I think this is normal because of the contents) and you have to shake the tube to mix it. I did this and it would squirt a little oil consistency out. Anyway now when I use it and mix it before putting it on my face it feels very oily even though it is oil free. It literally looked like I coated my face in crisco, yuck! I had to wash my face a few times to get it off. I will not buy again. Too bad because it seemed great at first :(

It is going in the swap, hopefull someone else will love it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 3:25:00 PM More reviews by leoisillon

I have been wanting to try this for ages and I finally broke down and bought it. I'm glad I got that out of my system because I don't have to wonder anymore. This product is not for me. Firstly, it's very thick and it truly feels like a heavy sunscreen for the face. Also, it leaves a whitish cast on your face despite it's lame attempt to be tinted. This product leaves me more oily than usual by mid day and worst of all, I broke out from using this product. I'm going to have to find the receipt and return ASAP to my Clinique counter. This is not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 4:02:00 PM More reviews by sagittarian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

The ingredients is what I like most about this product. It uses only physical blockers and has added antioxidants. But what I don't like is the smell and the pilling I get when I apply it. It's strange because sometimes the product won't pill and sometimes it does. It's a 50/50 chance for me. I try to spread it in quickly and not rub too much to decrease the chances, but it doesn't always work. I'm not sure if I should return this or not. This sunscreen offers everything I want included in a sunscreen but I'm not so sure if I can deal with the (sometimes) difficult application. I think most physical sunscreens are this way. They tend to sit on top of the skin instead of sinking in like chemical sunscreens and they're much more difficult to work with. Though, physical sunscreens are safer and less likely to irritate skin. I think I'll just have to deal with it. 4 stars.

UPDATE: I think I'm getting the hang of this product and I'm loving it. If you get pilling, don't fret! Because I did too in the beginning, but I rarely do now. You just gotta spread it on your face quickly and evenly without rubbing it in too much. You have to be quick. It's tricky but once you get used to it, you will no longer get that horrible pilling.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/25/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by elisie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

This is an okay product. The SPF protection is only 25, and there's no mention of any long wearing UVA protection. The color/tint of actually prevents me from putting enough product on since it reminds me too much of foundation and I hate the mask feeling. I keep it in my purse for days I forget to put on sunscreen at home.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by aadonm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I agree with the previous reviewer about this product "clumping" up and balling or pilling. It is the one annoying factor of this product. I wouldnt advise to use this as a primer/base because it just goes all weird. Other wise I have found that if I apply then really let it set it is okay and doesnt change cosistency. I like it because of the great ingredient, its always within the expiry dates and has all physical blockers. It is also reasonably priced. Clinique just need to tweek this a little and it will be great. I think because it is so emolient you really need to let it set. I could be wrong, but thats my experience.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2010 2:14:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

Sadly, one of the worst products I have ever bought. I used to use the City Block SPF 40 and had some similar problems, but I am so disappointed. This tinted cream is a great color and I have tried so hard to make this work for me. But the product clumps in patches (not balling up but patches that can be smoothed out). I have to spend an extra 10 minutes checking my face for patches of this product before applying any other makeup. I tried to use this sparingly in case it was the amount of product causing the patchiness....but no. This sheer layer did exactly the same. I didn't really want to reduce the amount I applied as I was concerned about the level of sun protection this would offer. I also broke out terribly from this. I had only had this on my face for a couple of hours before noticing new pimples which could only be caused by this product. I am trying to use up the tube by using this as a body sunscreen rather than on my face. I am now finding pimples on my neck and chest where this product has reacted. I wouldn't buy this again. Such a shame as this would be an ideal sunscreen for me. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2010 11:44:00 AM More reviews by jacquelina23

I have oily skin prone to breakouts, so I asked the sales clerk at Clinique to show me something oil-free and she swore that it was sheer and oil-free. I feel like she was just trying to make a sale, I find it very greasy for my skin and like other reviews, I agree that this product is too thick, it's like you are wearing foundation, I found it left my skin dirty, clogged my pores and made me break out more than normal. Also, it kind of balled up and you really have to blend this a lot as for me being fair, it was too dark for my skin tone, and the clerk said it was "sheer", very misleading, if you are fair, don't buy this product! I am disappointed as the ingredients are exactly what I was looking for in a sunscreen, and it smelled good, but it kind of separates when it comes out, the packaging could be a bit better, like a pump bottle would be better. The saleswoman did mention that I could return it within 30 days if I was not satisfied.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2010 12:10:00 PM More reviews by muppet1

Bought this for the first time today after receiving a sample and prefering it to the redness solutions version. feels faintly tacky on however looks sheer, makes foundation stay on amazingly well and looks flawless. Also helps to stop my combination skin getting oily. A great buy.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/26/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by cecilia41

i don't like this one. i'm a combination skin and everytime i use this it just leaves some residue all over my face.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by rockangel04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Horribel for oily skin, didn't help makeup go on any better and my skin was more oily that if I didn't use it, plus it made me break out..I returned it.