August 21, 2014 | 1867 users online

Powder - Milani - Minerals Compact Makeup [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2007 8:47:00 AM More reviews by arnzal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Surprisingly good for a cheap drugstore makeup. I like that you can smooth or press the powder on with a sponge applicator (which of course you can replace frequently to keep clean). This avoids a lot of the powderly mess that loose mineral makeup has, and also provides a better cover than dusting on - have tried that too, and is a bit too sheer. I like that there seems to be very little oil holding the powder together and it provides a nice dry finish - good for my oily skin as the day wears on. Creamy natural is a good match for slightly sallow or olive pale-med skin (NC25 in Mac)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2007 1:51:00 PM More reviews by glossylocks

This looked cakey on me. I'm an nc25 and the lightest color worked well on me. This just sat on my skin, didn't look good.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2007 11:42:00 AM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I went to CVS today to try the Milani glimmestrips since they were having a BOGO 50% off sale. I got one glimmerstrip that seemed good, but I didn't like any others so I thought I'd try this. Currently I'm using Isadora mineral foundation in medium beige, but I often don't have time to apply makeup in the morning, so I just moisturize and head out the door and only apply makeup after my shower after I get back from dropping off my son at preschool. As any mom knows, you have to take advantage of that window while the kid is at school to get all your shopping and errands done, so that's what I do, and I find that I don't look good while I'm out shopping or running errands. Today was one of those days. I dropped off my son and headed to the library to drop off books and pick up books I had ordered. The library in our little town doesn't open till 10am, so I had 45 minutes to kill so I went to CVS, got the above mentioned things, and sat in the parking lot trying on these purchases. I figured if the color doesn't match, I can return it right away, but Honey Beige was perfect. It was just slightly lighter than what I am, but mineral makeup can be forgiving that way. It has light to medium coverage, so major flaws do not get covered up, but it made my skin look a lot better than before! I liked the puff they included and the fact that it has its own compartment. It applied the makeup very well. It's a good item to have in my purse, better than any old pressed powder. I would definitely purchase again.

Edited December 9, 2007
    I still really like this, and in fact it's not lighter than my skintone anymore. Maybe it's winter and so my tan has completely disappeared, or maybe mineral makeups tend to get darker on my face as the day wears on, but now I'm thinking I should have gotten a shade lighter. So when this comes on sale again, I'm going to get True Beige or Creamy Natural. I may even get both if they are BOGOF. If the lighter one doesn't work for me, I can always give it to my mom who is lighter than me.

Edited February 29, 2008
    I did get the True Beige even though the sales clerk at Walgreens told me it looked too light. It's working great for me, although I wish it were a little yellower. I think I am paler than usual because I was using the Ambi fade cream to fade some pimple scars on my face and was rubbing the cream in all over every night for 2 weeks during the Christmas holidays. True Beige is working very well for this Indian girl who is what you would call medium golden beige every day usually before May. I still have the Ambi cream and intend to keep using it because my acne scars are faint but still there.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2007 2:43:00 PM More reviews by akimbriel

If you think you love BE, but wish you could carry it with you without making a total mess... you must try this. I have worn BE for over 5 years and now that I have the milani compact I don't think I even need to use my BE. This compact is perfect for your purse as well as travel. I love it so much, and all my friends are planning to buy it too.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2007 10:00:00 PM More reviews by decemberstarlight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This compact mineral makeup wasn't half as bad as the loose makeup. The compact in honey beige was much nicer than the loose powder in the same color. It was a good match for my skin tone. Coverage was medium. But the finish was less natural than the loose. I will not repurchase because it wasn't anything special, and I have given up on mineral makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2007 12:08:00 AM More reviews by lorstarnascar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! It's a great replacement for other, messier mineral makeups. The coverage isn't all too great for me, but I always need a separate concealer no matter what I use. Otherwise, its easy to apply, looks airbrushed on, and doesn't break me out. My only complaint is, I wish it came in a lighter shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2007 8:03:00 PM More reviews by loohoo44

This is very impressive for a $6 drugstore product. It has slightly more coverage than pressed powder, but not as much as a true powder foundation. It goes on super smooth and light, I have to be careful not to press too hard with my kabuki brush (I don't use the puff it comes with) or it will knock powder off onto my counter! But it goes on like velvet, and wears nicely even after a whole day with my combo-oily skin. Doesn't magnify flakes or pores, fairly matte finish, but as I said it doesn't give a whole lot of coverage. It will cover up some redness, but you'll definitely need concealer for anything worse. The only annoying thing about the packaging is the mirror is on the back side of the powder pan, so you have to keep flipping back and forth to see what you're doing. I'm NC20 and got the lightest shade (nude buff?), and its almost too dark. Wish they'd come out with a paler one for winter! Definitely will repurchase though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2007 11:46:00 AM More reviews by bebejacket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I picked this up on a whim at Ulta in True Beige (I am C40 Studiofix, and 60 Watt in Stila IPF). I don't consider myself beige, but considering that "Milani’s focus is on the unique cosmetic requirements of multi-cultural women", I suppose the name of the color doesnt really matter, as long as it matches, right? I can probably go a shade darker, actually. Trying Honey Beige next.

It was 6 bucks. My expectations of DS powder foundations, I admit are quite low, and hence, this has me surprised and delighted. At this price point, and overall quality of this powder, I will no doubt be repurchasing again and again. I love the ease and speed of powder foundations, and this one is quite excellent.

The package is ok. It has a clear top, and the compartment that contains the flocked applicator pad/pad has the mirror. Not sure if I like that- you have to close the mirror to get to the product when doing touch-ups. And the vinyl-backed, flocked applicator puff/pad isn't very impressive either. I prefer a brush for sheer coverage and touch ups, and a sponge for general application.

This is not a full coverage foundation, like Studio Fix. It is light: sheer to medium. It applies smoothly and has a matte, natural, but not powdery finish when applied over a primer. This lets my skin show through, but kind of evens things out. It virtually is weightless on the skin. Wear is about the same as I've experienced with other powder foundations.

Honeslty, I just can't get over the fact this is under 6 dollars. I typically spend 20 dollars or more on powder foundations that I like, and I LOVE that this is a bargain.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2007 2:59:00 PM More reviews by jackieski

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I HAVE TRIED MOST MINERAL MAKEUP OUT THERE, PROBLEY ABOUT 10 OR MORE BRANDS. EVEN THE HIGH END MINERALS. THIS ONE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD MY EXACT COLOR AND THE COVERAGE IS GOOD, NOT AS FULL AS I WOULD LIKE BUT GOOD. I WOULD REPURCHASE. GREAT PRICE AND YOU CAN GO LOCALLY AND GET. I FEEL THAT THIS IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE EXPENSIVE BRANDS MAYBE BETTER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS UP WITH COSMETIC COMPANIES MAKING FOUNDATION WITH ORANGE IN IT. FOR EVERY 10 WOMEN I SEE WALKING AROUND 8 OF THEM HAVE AN ORANGE TINT, DEMARKCATION LINE. THEY REALLY NEED TO TEST OUT IN THE NATURAL LIGHT AND REALIZE THAT WE ARE FROM A MELTINGPOT. I AM AMERICAN INDIAN BOTH BLACKFEET AND CHEROKEE, SCOTTISH, IRISH, ENGLISH SO THAT MAKES ME HAVE A HARD TO MATCH SKIN TONE, NOT WARM NOT NETRUAL, NOT COOL SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT FALL INTO THERE RANGE.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2007 5:19:00 PM More reviews by miboje

Thank you Milani!! I have been waiting and waiting for someone to come up with a reasonbly priced pressed mineral foundation to rival my old fave--> Pur Minerals. The coverage of Milani is *slightly* less than PM, but I can live with it at this price! I found that using a wedge sponge gives better coverage in areas that need it, too. There is something to be said for the lack of mineral dust and mess on the counter too. That used to frustrate me alot. No More! I am well pleased with my Milani! I will not only buy it again, I will be stocking up.
    *edit* Unfortunately I did not notice right away that this ends up looking too yellow on me. The fluorescent lighting casts a yellow tint to skin color, and is not a good place to check your foundation color match. Live and learn. Be sure to use natural lighting. Other than that, it was fine.