December 22, 2014 | 1818 users online

Sunscreen - Peter Thomas Roth - Instant Mineral SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2008 4:25:00 PM More reviews by flightattendant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As a flight attendant I spend a lot of time in hot and sunny places - I have combination/oily skin and have tried all the moisturizers with sunblock and always break out or look shiny. Got PTR ages ago and it is great. No breakouts, no shinyness and no sunburn! I had problems with putting the lid back on - struggled to push all the brush bristles in then read the instructions!!! Don't have a problem with the brush now but did crack the cover (my fault, I stepped on it when I dropped it) so have decanted it into another refillable brush.

As for quantity - well if you decant it you will see that there is a decent amount of powder and it has lasted me ages.

Will definately buy another one when this one runs out. Got mine in Sephora and think it is worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2008 6:47:00 PM More reviews by braveheartkim

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely LOVE this stuff !! Just bought it while on a trip out of town to attend a company event outside in the hot sunshine and realized I didn't have any sunscreen. Normally ALL screens break me out because my skin is so oily and acne-prone. So I remembered this product and went to a near-by Ulta store and grabbed one. Aside from the high price, I could not be more pleased. It was almost color-less on my skin (Fair-Light Toned that burns then tans to medium tone). It was SO weightless and comfortable and smooth and really really LASTED. Did not sweat off, and definitely kept my "oilies" at bay during the whole outside event. I declare that it even started to help CLEAR-UP some minor break-outs !! I did not burn and even TANNED a little !!! Totally totally amazed and sold on this product, despite the price. Will definitely buy again. THANK YOU to the reviewer below who gave the tip to remove the powder into your own container. Very helpful.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2008 12:26:00 PM More reviews by fancyxamy

I debated buying this for a long time because of the inclusion of the dreaded "mineral" in the name. I was afraid it, like all other mineral makeups, would look shiny and cakey on me. But alas, it is really like the only powder sunscreen that doesnt contain bismuth and is not a foundation-powder and now that its summer i definitely need some extra protection for running around on my lunch break, driving home from work, and just bumming around outside on the weekends.

luckily, it really is matte so it does kill shine. it goes on very lightly and is not shimmery. however, i dont think it is quite completely transleucent, so it lends a tiny hint of color which i wish was a little bit lighter. im undecided about whether it looks orange-y on my skin because a few times after i used it, i caught glimpses of myself and noticed that my face looked darker than my neck.

i dont have a problem with the applicator. in fact, it is very fast and convenient for whipping out of your purse and brushing on before you step outside. i even put some on my shoulders at a music festival last weekend, so i love that its super handy and versatile.

ive gotten 2 zits since i started using this, although that could also be contrubuted to the time of the month. this contains so few ingredients that i really dont see how it could be the problem.

overall, im going to keep using it because it cuts down on shine and enhances my sun protection, but i will update with any further breakouts or ugliness color-wise.

update: i really like this stuff and will definitely buy it again when i run out. it is so convenient and leaves my skin matte and protected from the sun. im just waiting till the drugstores catch the powder sunscreen wave and i can get it for under $30!

2nd update: i now actually depend on this stuff! especially for all the vacations ive taken this summer--it has been a godsend for beaches and hanging out poolside because it kills two birds with one stone--it de-shines my face and protects me from the sun. it is also unobtrusive in a purse or beach bag and so quick to apply. highly recommended!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2008 12:44:00 PM More reviews by mtvsux

I have actually already repurchased this item, not because I ran out, but just in case I can't find mine when I need it. I really like it. Very convenient and the perfect way to touch up my sunblock over my makeup before i leave my job for lunch. I also use it right before i leave the house to dull down the shine from my lotion sunblock. I would never wear it alone for my SPF protection, it just doesn't seem like you would be able to get a true spf 30 from a dusting of powder but it's perfect for touching up during the day over your makeup. But beware, the brush sucks, it's really awful and scratchy. It's also fairly expensive for the small amount you get, $30 for .32 oz, but then again, if you buy 4 a year that's only $120, which isn't too bad i don't think, and other powder sunblocks with a brush are more expensive, namely IS's spf 20, which is $40 and colorescience's spf 30, which is $50 for .23oz, and I hear their brushes are just as stiff and rough.

Sephora has it's own empty refillable brush that is much softer, it is $24 but reviews here and on sephora.com say it is hard to get the product out. So you can buy this item, unscrew the bottom of the PTR and put the product into the softer sephora refillable brush. Colorscience actually makes their own spf 30 in refill, so that is another option to put into a refillable powder brush, and it's $30 for .45 oz. As for now I've taken the contents of my PTR product and put it into another refillable brush that sephora has for their 'Radiant Loose Powder in a brush. Oh the things i go through for sun protection. *sigh*

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2008 11:27:00 PM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I was using the Colorescience Sunforgettable SPF 30 and liking it, but this is even better. It's completely translucent on me, and it looks fine without moisturizer underneath, unlike the Sunforgettable, which can look cakey. There is a downside to that, though: It's difficult to see if you have actually covered your whole face evenly with it for sun protection purposes. The Sunforgettable product seems to have the edge in that respect.

I got the powder out and use it with my own brush. Here's how to get the powder out:

1. Put down a paper towel in case some powder spills.

2. Leave on the clear cap. Turn the product upside down so that the brush bristles point down.

3. Pull up on the white knob so that the brush retracts and the white barrel is exposed.

4. Hold the white barrel with one hand and use the other hand to turn the white knob counterclockwise. Now you can pour the powder out and put it in your own container. You may want to leave some of the powder in the brush and keep it in your purse for touch ups.

Summary:

Pros: noncomedogenic, photostable, non-migrating, doesn't sting during application, fragrance free, matte finish, breathable feel, no white cast, has some vitamins in it

Cons: expensive, can be hard to see if you've covered your whole face evenly, difficult not to breathe some of it in during application

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2008 1:01:00 PM More reviews by MarieNJ

I was skeptical of this, but bought it b/c I was at my wits' end in trying to find a sunscreen that didn't break me out. After about a month I have had no breakouts or clogged pores from it, and my brown spots appear to be lightening, so I guess it's doing its job. I take a lippie off b/c it's bit pricey and there isn't much product in the container. But I am sure to repurchase since it works so well.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by CAlady

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wonder how a a company can charge so much for so little product and then have the nerve to use such an inferior quality brush (especially when you cannot remove it for washing). However I will continue to use and repurchase the product because it does not break me out or cause me to itch. Have used Colorescience before ( terrible stiff, scratchy brush that shed from day one)) and it caused breakout, itching -bismuth, and sunburn. Yes sunburn. I need to use some sort of sun protection daily as I go between SoCal and the AZ desert. Never liked sunscreen when I was younger- either too goopy or broke me out and now my skin is paying the price. This does not accentuate my wrinkles too badly either. If you want to try this in store before you buy, bring your own brush (avoid cross-contamination with other store products) and have them open the trial container. Update: I am loving this product . No breakouts, no itchy face, no burning eyes, and no sun burn. I like this so much that I bought another one to keep in my car/golf cart. Have recommended this to several people both women and men and all are happy with the product. (I think we are all from that generation of thick, occlusive sunscreens) Still wish the brush were removable for washing. (Am I a gimmie-gimmie or what) Thank you PTR.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2008 3:48:00 PM More reviews by pam0511

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i've been using this product for 2 weeks now with absolutely no breakouts or irritation at all, and i have the most sensitive acne prone skin. my skin looks better since using this, and i now actually just use this alone. i have no problems with the brush. i would highly recommend this to oily, acne prone girls.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/21/2008 7:55:00 PM More reviews by stam226

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm on the fence with this product. I love the concept especially because I've oily skin and hate the heavy stickiness regular lotion sunscreens leave behind. This gives a nice matte finish however I can't tell if this product is honestly protecting my skin from the sun. It's very convenient but the only complaint about the packaging is that you can't wash the brush. In the morning, I wash my face and go for this sunscreen. I wear this over my moisturizer but under my makeup. I probably buy this again and see how it stands for me in the summer months.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2008 11:44:00 PM More reviews by glamourhammer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this product because I burn easily and worry about sun protection if I am outside all day. I usually wear a full face of makeup and wanted something that is easy to apply without messing up my makeup. When this first came out about a year ago I purchased it and I would gladly repurchase it. One problem I had is that my powder turned orange in the tube after a few months, so I just exchanged it for a new one at sephora. I'm not sure if this is common or if I just got a weird one.