April 19, 2014 | 1105 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 2:25:00 PM More reviews by dsjnix

OMG, Love this product! I have tried to use Bare Minerals and BE in stores and found that they did not offer enough coverage for my redness, but this stuff is great! I am 50 years old and was afraid that this would sink into my wrinkles, but the coverage is flawless. My husband says I look great and younger. It does add a nice youthful glow to face but doesn't look shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by sunny923

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this website but never do any of my own reviews. Merle Norman's mineral makeup has inspired me to finally write a review because of how amazing it is! For the past few years, I have tried many many many mineral makeup brands. Almost all of the ones available at the drug store, Bare Minerals, and several online brands such as Everyday Minerals, J.Lynne Cosmetics, Elegant Minerals, and Aromaleigh Mineral makeup. The majority of the online brands were...adequate and some even good, but just not my holy grail.
I love researching different makeup brands I want to try and it was on this website that I noticed Merle Norman's mineral makeup and the good reviews it had received. I decided to buy it and so I did just a few days ago.
When you look into the actual makeup it looks like it has these tiny sparkles inside but when you put it on your face, you do not see that sparkle at all! What you do see is incredible coverage without looking like you have anything on!! It's absolutely amazing! I can't get over how it looks on my face. It also seems to be very long lasting. With my oily skin, other mineral makeup brands would sometimes crease around my nose and brows but this product doesn't do that at all. My face just looks great with it on! It covers up my redness & discolorations without using much product. Also, my oily skin just doesn't look as oily as it usually does when I have other mineral makeup brands on. The makeup seems to absorb the oil more.
The only bad thing about the product is that it is pretty pricey. It costs 26.99 for a 14 gram jar. But with the jar being so big, I'm sure it's going to last me a very long time. I can't wai tto see how the makeup will be over time! I definitely recommend this one!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/29/2009 3:32:00 PM More reviews by JYCS19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay so I got his in M/L 80 and I wear NC 30 in the Select foundation in MAC. It does look quite natural when it's on but the color was too dark for me. I can't comment on lasting powder since I took it off 5 minutes after!!! I know the shade lighter in the Warm tone (L60) will be too light since people said they wear it when they are NC20. It has very few ingredients in it which is PLUS but I can not seem to get the right color in ANY of the Merle Norman foundations. The package is sloppy, when I got it. There was mineral powder scattered around even thought it was sealed up. It does have a lot of product. It tends to settle into my pores, but everything does since I have big pores. This is going to be returned due to color variation. Oh and its a ridiculous price in Canada, its $36 then add tax. Came up to $40. Now that's really ridiculous, I don't even care how much product I get, It doesn't even have SPF or any other benefits from it. BLAHH.

Update 06/06/09: I returned it and got a sample of L60 and its too light for me and didn't have enough yellow in it to match my skin tone. One thing I have to say is that this realllllllllllllllllyyyyy stays ALL day! Like theres minor fading but I tried EDM and this just does not compare in lasting all day. EDM was gone after couple hours and I do have oily obnoxious skin. I think Merle Norman would do a lot better if they had more colors since that's a big issue with everyone else using their products. It'll be your HG if you can find your shade and don't have large pores because this made my pores look bigger, but so does any other mineral foundation!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I would like to have a review of this product, but because of an inept saleswoman..I don't. I went into the store today to pick this up to try--because of the GREAT reviews. When I told the saleswoman (I use this term lightly, because she looked about 19) that I wanted the mineral make up. She said "you don't want that its glittery". Imagine my surprise at THAT!! I said, well do u mean Glowy or Glittery? She said "Its glittery" and proceeds to swipe some on her hand--and without giving me a chance to say anything, she said "I hate it". She then tells me the best mineral makeup is PHYSICIANS FORMULA and I can get it at Wal Mart. I was literally in shock. I tried one last question, I asked her if the Merle Norman MMU contains bismuth...she looked at me and said " What is that? I don't know." I said Thank you and left the store. That is the first time I'd ever been to a Merle Norman store and will probably be the last. I just wish the owner knew that their employee was bashing their product. That sure doesn't build confidence in a brand.
EDIT: I wasn't ready to give up on trying this foundation..since it has great reviews. I went back to the store today and GRRRR!!! The same girl waited on me, I told her I wanted to go ahead and try the foundation, she seemed rather put out that I hadn't taken her brilliant advice about Physicians formula. I asked her if the L10 and L20 were cool tones, she said SHE DIDN'T KNOW! Then she put a swatch on her hand (very tan and I'm very fair) and said "This one looks neutral to me." I told her that I needed to try them on MY skin to see how they will look, she gave me a qtip with some on the tip. So, basically I had to figure out which shade worked for me...by myself. She barely spoke to me the whole time I was in there.
Anyhow, I went ahead and bought the foundation $28 (there is a huge amount in the jar!!) and found out they have a 30 day refund policy with receipt. I came home and LUCKILY I picked a shade that was a great match and I did not look glittery at all!! In fact my skin looks beautiful with this on...and I even dragged my hubby outside to check my face in the sun, afraid I'd be a disco ball in sunlight.
I'm going to see how it holds up in humidity and make sure it doesn't clog my pores (I'll update if it does), before I declare it a HG...but so far so good. I left BE because of the itch, I left EM because it clogged my pores and made me look orange, so I don't want to get my hopes up too high. I just want a nice glowy, long lasting, non-oxidizing finish that makes me look beautiful--is that too much to ask?? lol Maybe not.
I don't think I'll need to return it, but I am going to call and talk to the manager about the SA, it has been the WORST customer service I've ever had in a makeup store. And, considering she knows NOTHING about the brand and even bashes it..I think they should know. I am raising the lippies to a 4...because the foundation seems to live up to the hype...HOWEVER, I give the service a NEGATIVE ONE.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 12:57:00 PM More reviews by icysugarplumprincess

I have been scared to buy a mineral foundation because I have been unimpressed by the Neutrogena mineral sheers and Mary Kay mineral foundations that I have tried. I need medium to full coverage, and it seemed like they did little to nothing for me. Because I am OCD about my skin, I need something that will never break me out, and I finally got desperate enough to buy this one based on the reviews here on MUA. I am still learning how to apply correctly, but I am amazed every time I go to the mirror at how forgiving this stuff is. I feel like I have nothing on, but my skin looks beautiful and bright. So far so good, and it will be great if it lasts as long as I think it will since it was only $25.50 at my Merle Norman studio. I am MAC NC20, and the L60 seems to be a good match for my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2009 8:18:00 PM More reviews by Ginger30

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Another fan of Merle Norman's mineral powder foundation! I purchased M/L 40 for $30. The jar is big and will most definitely last a long time. The texture and the finish are great! I've used lots of different mineral makeup brands over the last 10 years and Merle Norman mineral is one of the better ones. (Much, much nicer than the queen mother, BE.)
I also like the fact that I can go to my local Merle Norman and try it on and buy it instead of doing interent purchasing.
This mineral makeup makes my skin look flawless and smooth. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2009 12:20:00 PM More reviews by lauralovesjazz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My mom has been a long time user of MN products, so I always thought it was for older women who like to wear heavy makeup. I used BE and had a horrible experience with it. I have also used Physician's Formula, which seemed to be very cakey. I went in to MN to buy my mom some makeup she needed and I was talking to the sale associate about my makeup problem. She put some of this powder on and it looked great, so I bought some. I have been using this for 2 months now and I still have more than half of the jar left. I love the coverage it gives me and I haven't had any skin problems with this mineral makeup. After finding this, I don't think I will ever look back.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2009 12:46:00 AM More reviews by dbmiller

I actually expected to like this, based on the reviews here, and I do. It's nearly impossible to obtain this without actually getting it from a store, so when a store opened in town, I went there immediately, only expecting to purchase this, which I did. The SA color matched me with L60 and it's a PERFECT shade. When you first look at the powder, you can literally see sparkles in it. What surprised me is that they don't really show up. The finish of this is perfect - not too shiny and not too matte. The packaging is nothing special, but you DO get a ton of product for the price. I have two problems with this that keep it from being perfect for me. One is that the coverage is a little bit too light for me, but not enough for me to not wear it. Two, I really like for my mineral foundation to have SPF, which seems easy enough for them to add, and this does not. Other than those two things, this is good quality stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2009 12:19:00 AM More reviews by Chrystalle

Love, love this mineral makeup. The texture and finish are so beautiful. Much better than BE, Physician's Formula or L'Oreal. I haven't tried ALL the mineral makeups available, but with this, I don't think I'll have to try any others. This works, the price is reasonable, and I get a nearly flawless face. I couldn't ask for more.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2009 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Loci80015

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok, first off, I didn't even know about Merle Norman products until my mother-in-law mentioned it a few years back. Needless to say, my impression of MN was that it was for old ladies.

Recently, I tried to go from mineral makeup (which I have used the last 6 years) to liquid desperately trying to find better coverage and trying to find something to make my pores look smaller. Every liquid I tried (and I tried A LOT) was a disaster and made me look so made up and cakey. Ewwww! I decided to research and to my surprise, this mineral foundation came highly recommended.

I found the nearest MN store and when I walked in, I do have to say that I felt like it was a make-up store for little old ladies. Cute, but not up-to-date. The lady that ran the store helped me and boy she was the cutest thing ever. I told her what I was looking for and we tried some samples of this product. We settled on the L60 for my lightly golden skin. The next color up was a tad too dark. The color match for now is pretty good although if I get a little color this summer, I can see this being a little too light. The ingredient list is great for acne prone, combination skin. The makeup lasts all day and the sheen (which normally I would consider oily) is actually more of a glow. I don't like, however, the accentuation of my pores with powder makeup, but use Clinique Pore Minimizer from time to time to help with pore size (I cannot wear it every day or it will make me break out). I also think I may try a translucent powder to use to blot throughout the day, as I do get a little oily. So I really do love the product (doesn't clog pores or make you break out), but I am still on the fence about how this looks on my skin regarding my pores, especially in the sunlight. I still have to play with it.

The price is a little high, but for the amount of product you get, it doesn't even compare to BM. Not to mention that this stuff puts BM and PurMinerals to shame!!! I will update this review to see if this is in fact my HG foundation.

UPDATE: The color I bought was definitely too light for the summer and made me look really yellow. So, I went to the store and got the next color up which is ML70. Alone, it's a tad dark, but when I mix the ML70 and L60, it seems to be the perfect color match for me. It's expensive to have to buy two jars of this to get the right color, but there is so much of it that it will last a LONG time. Plus, isn't it worth it if a product doesn't cause breakouts??? Not to mention that my mom commented on how great my makeup looked the other day....not too cakey and "natural". I cannot remember the last time someone commented on how good my makeup looked. :)