Paula's Choice Hydralight Moisture-Infusing Lotion

3.5

Not tested on animals

Water, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Dimethicone (silicone/skin-conditioning agent), Propylene Glycol Isoceteth-3 Acetate (water-binding agent), Squalane (emollient), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2 (gel-based thickener), Potassium Cetyl Phosphate (emulsifier), Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Cholesterol (skin-conditioning agent), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract (antioxidants), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (suspending agent), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Sodium PCA, Phytosphingosine (water-binding agents), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (thickener), Cetyl Alcohol (emollient), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Laureth-23 (solubolizing agent), Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Benzoic Acid, Sorbic Acid (preservatives).

The price just KILLS for this product. It's so tiny, yet so expensive--about $19 for a few ounces. I spoke with a Paula's Choice representative and she mentioned that the full-size bottle would last me a month. A MONTH FOR $19???

At the same time, I can't say I will not repurchase this, because it works for me. That's the key here, it works FOR ME. I can't say it will work for everyone, but I love it. I have oily/sensitive skin, and this is matte while moisturizing. MATTE and MOISTURIZING--not many products can boast that, because matte products are usually drying, and moisturizing products are usually not matte at all. But this does both on my face, and it is extremely lightweight and an overall seasonal, well-rounded product that is also gentle on the skin.

At least try the sample. As for those complaining about the smell, it is simply the smell of the underlying substances--that's how a product should smell, I think, because fragrances are annoying and allergy-inducing and I'd love to do away with all fragrance in products.

Try the sample, like NOW.

*EDIT* O-kay, so I took one lippie off going into the fall/winter season because this moisturizer isn't doing its job very well in the cold weather. I STILL LOVE the Hydralight, but only during the summer--is it just me, or shouldn't moisturizers continue to work no matter what the season? I'd rather not purchase a summer moisturizer on top of a winter moisturizer--but I want to buy one moisturizer that will work throughout the year. I've been using this in the onset of the cold weather, but even smearing gobs of it won't help alleviate the drying. Even my oily T-zone needs moisturizing, so I am switching to Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. However, I'm still maintaining the previous part of my review--if you need a good moisturizer for your combination/sensitive skin during the hotter seasons, then definitely try this product.

on 8/24/2007 8:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This sits on my bathroom counter. I can't bring myself to throw it away. The smell has been described in many ways but to this reviewer it smells like mold! I am very tolerant of unpleasant smells in cosmetics and skincare but I couldn't get past this one. It has a nice intense moisture feel and I would have liked to use it around my eyes, but that's too close to my nose. Update: Threw it away today.

on 8/23/2007 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought a sample and tried it only once. I couldn't get past the smell --- like the poster before me said; smells like dirty sweaty socks.
It seemed that it moisturized just fine, but I could still smell it on my face. It's certainly bizarre that something that is promoted as fragrance free should stink so much. Too bad.

on 8/23/2007 6:01:00 PM

Although I appreciate Paula's outlook on cosmetic and skin care, I have found very few of her products that I can use, or even like. I had a very hard time getting past the smell of this lotion. Even unscented, it smelled like dirty socks. The lotion was still quite heavy for my oily/combo skin type, and just kinda sat on my skin and made me feel oily. I did not work well under my make-up either. Just could not like this lotion.

on 8/2/2007 8:30:00 AM

Not hydrating enough for even my oily skin and smells like saliva.
I generally love PC's products...though I feel that her moisturizers only sound better on paper but do not really perform.

on 7/28/2007 4:04:00 PM

For me, this moisturizer was simply not moisturizing enough and I have combo skin w/a slightly oily t-zone. I actually think it dried out my skin. It didn't cause any irritation or breakouts, but the smell is awful. The smell is so horrible, I can't even find words to describe it. It may work well for someone w/extremely oily skin or maybe someone w/ pretty normal skin. I've recently switched to PC's Skin Recovery Moisturizer and I'm finiding it works much better for me.

on 7/25/2007 3:50:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

When I first bought this moisturizer, I loved it. However, I soon began to expect a correlation between this lotion and a negative reaction. I persisted use, thinking it could be something else, and what a mistake. It burned terribly on contact, followed with red blotchy skin and an ever so slightly sticky feel after the lotion sinked in. Needless to say - it did not agree with my skin. The lotion felt alright otherwise, it wasn't heavy nor too runny, but I didn't appreciate the finish too much - not really matte, a teeny bit ... tacky? I can't get over how irritating it was for me, though, so anyone with sensitive skin may want to try a sample first!

on 7/22/2007 9:03:00 AM

I've tried a sample of this and will probably purchase a full size. It is a nice light moisturizer, sinks into the skin quickly, and doesn't seem to cause breakouts. I have combination skin, someone with very dry skin might need more moisture. Also like the fact that is is unscented and contains antioxidants.

on 7/5/2007 2:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was quite pleased with Paula's balancing moisture gel but I felt my skin needed more moisture, specially in winter time so I switched to this.
I do not care for the bottle. The mouth easily gets clogged and it is impossible to get the last of the product out which feels like a useless waste.
The lotion itself dries very quick, so quick that it can be hard to evenly spread it around my entire face without tugging.
What I like is the lack of fragrance, the added antioxidants and the completely non-greasy feeling without a matte finish. It moisturizes a bit more than the balancing gel but not enough to take care of flakey skin.
It's not the perfect moisturizer for me so I will keep searching.

on 6/8/2007 7:41:00 AM

I tried 2 samples of this last week. While I like the Hydrating cream (and my husband loves it), I'm looking for something more lightweight for summer. I have previously used Avene's cream for irritable skin, but I can't get it where I live now. This moisturiser seems to fit the bill pretty well: it is very light, has no scent that I notice, and no sunscreen (I use a separate SPF40 sunscreen). I like it. Good quality product, for those of us who don't want perfume and other unnecessary irritants on our facial skin. Will probably buy this. UPDATE: I have bought and used a bottle, and I love it. The only problem I have is the price - expensive. Why have PC prices gone up so much over the last year or so? Add to that the exorbitant p&p charged in Europe... I want to boycott them. But I do like this lotion. So I'll look for something else and meanwhile keep using this.