October 25, 2014 | 1437 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2012 4:00:00 PM More reviews by carabara84

I have been using this cleanser for well over a year and although it's not perfect, it meets almost all of my requirements for a cleanser. First of all, it doesn't dry out my skin or cause irritation. I have tried TOO many cleansers (HE & DS) that make me feel tight, dry and itchy. This cleanses well and is so mild. It doesn't remove all of my makeup on it's own (I just wear powder foundation and blush), but when I massage it gently into my damp skin for 1 minute and then remove with a wet cotton round it all comes off. This stuff is perfect for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2012 10:46:00 PM More reviews by aureliationg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I first use a cleansing oil to remove makeup, then I use the Enzyme Cleansing Gel with my Clarisonic Mia, concentrating on my t-zone.
I've noticed my acne scars fading and my skin is a lot smoother. My pores have looks a lot clearer and I noticed my skin looking brighter,
I have sensitive skin and this doesn't affect me in any way,
I would definitely recommend avoiding your eyes with this gel as it will sting.
After using this gel I use the Alpha-Grapefruit Lotion and I think this combination is the best. : )
Edit: I have to add in here that the Enzyme Gel is FAB for removing makeup from brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by gconn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

This product alone has made the greatest impact on my skin, and it only took about a week to see a difference. No, it's not a miracle worker, but I did see visible results, and get a lot of compliments on my skin now.

I don't have disaster skin to begin with - I wouldn't call it great, but on the grand scale of things it wasn't bad. Without this product, I had combo skin - oily on my forehead, normal on the cheeks, and dry around my mouth and chin. I always had a couple big honkin' pimples floating around my face, which would leave awful purple scars that refused to fade. I also had some very large pores on my cheeks and forehead. Overall, my skin was a little dull and sallow-looking, but nothing a little foundation couldn't fix.

About a week after I started using this product, I noticed my acne scars had started to fade, and the blemishes that I did get were smaller, and this didn't scar as badly - I could handle them very easily with a spot treatment. About two months later, I started noticing that my pores were visibly smaller, and my skin is showing a little more radiance. These results are probably a result of combined use with the MB Glycolic Acid cleanser, which I added a month after the Enzyme Cleansing Gel. My forehead is also less oily, though my chin is still dry. I still get nasty giant spots, but it's more like one every couple months. I think my skin is also half a shade lighter, which may or may not be desirable to you.

For reference, this is what I used to use:
Kiehls Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleanser
Kiehls Cucumber toner
Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Cream + jojoba oil

This is what I use now:
MB Enzyme Cleansing Gel (morning + 4 nights a week)
MB Glycolic Acid Foaming Cleanser (3 nights a week)
Kiehl's Cucumber toner
LUSH Celestial + jojoba oil (only add jojoba oil at night)

An important note on this cleanser - it does NOT take off your makeup. I rely on a separate cleansing oil to remove any traces of foundation, etc, whenever I'm wearing anything and then follow up with this product, because this cleanser is NOT strong and does not foam. It will clean your face of any dirt and debris that accumulates during the day just fine, though.

I guess I didn't really say anything about the product itself - it's a green gel. You rub a little on your face (did I mention the bottle is cheap AND lasts forever?) and rinse it off. It doesn't leave my face feeling dry, and cleanses excess oil from my face. It smells a little fruity - I don't think this is fragrance, I think it's the natural papaya and grapefruit extracts.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Ashes83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i have combination skin with an oily tzone, and dry spots on the cheeks and around the mouth. cetaphil did nothing for my oily spots, and harsher things reaked havoc on my dry spots. this cleanser is perfect for me because the grapefruit helps my oily spots and the gel, non-foaming formula helps with the dry spots. i have not had my usual humongoid menstrual zits in a long time, and my complexion is glowing. i find that my skin feels softer if i rinse with cool water. a pea sized amount does the trick, but in the summer i may go overboard, since the gel is so cool.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by reallyrita

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I loved the feel of this cleanser but the smell was too strong for me. It did a really nice job of cleansing and did not leave my face feeling taunt. However, about 20 minutes after washing with it, my cheeks started to burn. Looked in the mirror and found that my rosacea cheeks were bright red. I do not think this is a cleanser problem, it is a problem with my sensitive skin. Funny thing, only my checks got hot and flushed. It did calm down by morning but I am going to have to give my bottle of this to my DD. I am not taking lippies off because of my own experience because I have fragile skin. The bottle is nice and simple, the gel non-foaming does work well, but again, too much scent. Maybe it was the scent that affected my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/4/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by allthecolours

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This cleanser did not work for me at all. It burnt my skin, felt like it left a residue on my face yet at the same time dried my skin out, broke me out all over my face. I used it for a month but ended up throwing it away as it wrecked my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 4:39:00 PM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great gentle cleanser. That said, if you want your cleanser to foam, do not buy this. I massage a dime-size dollop all over my face, wait a few seconds, then rinse off with warm water. It cleanses without drying my skin and I will have to throw the bottle out before I can use it all.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 9:24:00 PM More reviews by everitt4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for years, and now that I'm getting older, it's my go-to facial cleanser. During pregnancy, it's been perfect for my morning routine. Not too tightening, gentle enough now that I've got more of a "glow" to my face and am overall less oily than before.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2012 7:18:00 PM More reviews by phoebe9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just bought this cleanser last week after using shiseido 'perfect whip' and returning it. I had a bad reaction to that product- the amount of chemicals contains in a single cleanser is disgusting. After a single wash my usually resilient skin was dry, irritated and broke out in a rash. You could feel the chemicals as you used the product.

So it goes without saying that I was looking for a replacement cleanser that was gentle and relatively natural but still effective to use on my combination/acne prone skin. This cleanser was exactly that. I didn't have high expectations, mainly due to the price ($18 AUD) and few ingredients, but I was really impressed. I have tried so many cleansers, most recently finished a bottle of Avene Cleanance, but this was so much better. I love that it feels natural and gentle, and its a really nice consistency- between a gel and a cream. The bottle is great and hygienic and the cleanser removes all my makeup without any residue or tight feeling. After cleansing, I am left with baby soft skin that glows and looks much clearer, and has a slight natural 'green' fragrance which is refreshing. This cleanser has rebalanced my skin, and I have less breakouts and dry areas, with a more even skin tone.

I would have never thought you could get such a good cleanser for less that $20 but I have been proved wrong. This is definitely my new HG cleanser and I highly recommend it to anyone with normal/combination skin. The only negative is that it contains methylparaben, otherwise it would be a perfect cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by xogabr13lla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was an early Christmas gift to myself and let me tell you, I am glad I bought it.

This cleanser has virtually gotten rid of all my acne. How? I'm not quite sure, but as it has gotten rid of my acne, it has also made my skin so much smoother and softer. I usually have to use harsh products to control my oily combination skin, but this does just fine, while still leaving my skin moisturized. I have noticed that my makeup has a better application now that I am using this product.

It's $20.00, which isn't cheap, but I have been using it for about three weeks, and my bottle is basically still full. Also, it gives you a lot of product - like 16oz worth of product for that price. Not too bad!

I definitely would recommend this to anyone with oily combination or combination skin! It's a great buy and I know I will definitely continue to use this product for years to come.