November 24, 2014 | 1309 users online

Deodorants - Crystal - Crystal Body Deodorant Stick

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tulipsplash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This review is for the Crystal Body Deodorant that comes in the 5 oz. rock.

MUAers led me to this and I couldn't be more grateful. The scent of most deodorants/antiperspirants makes me want to throw up.

PROS:
*no scent to clash with my shower gels and perfumes
*protects against a little wetness (not much though)
*prevents odor instead of masking it
*doesn't stain clothing
*great for hot and humid climates as it is supposed to be applied to freshly showered, moist armpits (whereas you have to wait until your armpits are bone dry before you can apply most antiperspirants/deodorants or they won't work and sometimes it is hard to dry out in hot, sweaty Texas in the summertime)
*it is not an anti-perspirant, but for whatever reason, I sweat less wearing this
*If I'm particularly nervous and sweat a lot, I will develop an odor, but it is no worse than what I get wearing traditional deo/anti in a similarly sweaty situation.

USAGE TIPS:
*Always apply to freshly showered armpits.
*Always apply generously.
*Consider shaving the night before so that you don't rub salt into shaving knicks (ouch!--or, better yet, get your armpits lasered so that hair is no longer an issue!)

PLEASE NOTE:
*This type of product originates in Asian countries like Thailand (this one is manufactured in LA).
*Asians typically have fewer sweat glands in their armpits (according to Dr. Oz)
*Asians typically have much less body hair (which traps odor)
*Asians typically eat a more plant-based diet and avoid large quantities of beef, milk, cheese, and eggs (which are considered body odor causing foods)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2010 3:05:00 PM More reviews by blackberrypatch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this nearly every day for the past year and I don't think it's gotten any shorter. It definitely holds up for at least 2 days. I apply it after showering, about 5 passes under each arm.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 6:35:00 AM More reviews by PrettyL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for no-name brand deoderant crystal. It's a stick of 100% ammonium alum. I got a cheapie drugstore brand and noticed that some of the more pricey "green" brands sell this stuff for 4-5 times the price, and it's the SAME one ingredient! It's worth reading lables!!

So as other reviewers have mentioned, this works by killing the bacteria in your pits that cause BO, so even when you sweat, you won't stink.

I switched to this from solid anti-perspirant about a year ago and have been loving it so far! I love that it doesn't mark up my clothes with the gross white gummy mess from my old anti-perspirant. That stuff never came off despite scrubbing and all kinds of removers! Ugh.

I apply this just as a I get out of the shower before I dry off, applying for about a full minute to each armpit and making sure to cover the whole surrounding area. If I wait too long and my pits dry, the stick won't glide on, so I just splash on a little extra water to the pit and/or stick. It's a bit more time-consuming than conventional products, but only minimally, and the results are worth the extra minute or two.

My stick comes with a cap, but I just leave it off so the stick can dry after I apply it, and it hasn't started to smell like some reviewers mentioned.

I thought it would be weird to sweat more due to the lack of anti-perspirant ingredients (alumininum etc.), but the fact that there is no more yucky 'gummy' mess from the anti-perspirant film on my skin (and clothes!) means that the sweat can evaporate faster from both. So while there may be a little more sweat at first, my armpits actually feel drier and more comfortable overall with no sticky residue.

I am currently experimenting with adding a little body spray for a bit of fresh scent, because I do miss that a little, especially towards the end of the day. I by no means reek of BO, but wouldn't mind a little extra something pretty in addition to my natural scent. One reviewer mentioned spraying body spray directly on the stick to add scent to the product and disinfect it at the same time. I've done this a few times and it seems to work great.

I'm finding that I do have to shower every day (or at least wash the 'pits thoroughly) in order to feel completely fresh. In the winter I used to shower every other day (if I'm not exercising or working up a sweat, of course!) and would just add a little more anti-perspirant to refreshen, but you can't do that with the crystal, unfortunately. The "second day" feeling isn't horribly stinky or anything, I think the product is still somewhat effective then, just not enough to feel fresh.

I find I can rewear shirts once or twice except in really hot weather if I shower every day and reapply the stick.

I'm definitely going to get my BF the spray version of this for his feet next summer!

I've been using my stick for a year and it's hardly made a dent in the product. At this rate, if it doesn't break it'll last me years! Another plus for a "green" product, less packaging to throw away, and less money spent (mine was about 2). I went through probably 6 conventional deos a year, in comparison.

This will ruin marble, so be careful where you let it sit/drip!

In sum, this is a wonderful EFFECTIVE natural product. If anyone is thinking of switching, make sure you read lots of these reviews to learn about the best ways to apply and get best results.

Update: On HOT summer days, I have to admit that this alone doesn't quite cut it. I layer this (applied right out of the shower) with some generic zinc oxide wound/diaper cream on top, and a spritz of scented body splash, and it's awesome :-D

Update May 2012: I just realized I have been using the same stick for over 3 years and there is still a ton left!!! I am currently layering this with a roll-on zinc oxide deo from Sebamed which contains a tiny amount of scent. This combination is wonderful, no whiffiness at all!

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2010 1:30:00 AM More reviews by anguyent

I have to say this product is a life saver. I sweat a lot and prefer that I not have any underarm funk at all (who doesn't). I actually use this in addition to my regular deoderant and have been doing this for years. It also has lasted about that long too. If you have a sweating/stink (ha!) problem I def would recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2010 5:28:00 PM More reviews by cmb99

Love it, love it, love it. Why? Well, for starters, it works. I apply immediately after showering while my underarms are still wet, and it glides on smoothly. If I forget and dry my armpits, I just run the stick under the faucet for a second to wet it before applying. No, it isn't an antiperspirant, so I sweat ... but I never smell bad. It lasts for about twenty-four hours; after that, I start getting a little stinky. Other things I love: no overpowering fragrance, no ugly white residue, no weird staining on my clothes. Best of all, it lasts forever. My first crystal stick lasted for nearly five years, and I only just had to buy my second one! It's incredibly cost-effective and I like that I'm not throwing away plastic every couple of months.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2009 1:26:00 PM More reviews by adesto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this for 2 or 3 years and it really works for me, even now that I live in New Orleans (steam-bath!) I use it straight out of the shower, when I'm already wet. Yes, I still sweat, but for me it controls odor as well as antiperspirants, and I no longer have yucky white stains on my clothes!

I always rinse it after use, as the smell of even soaps will transfer to the stick. To avoid it becoming crumbly and nasty in the container, I store it upside-down after I use it. This way, the water drips into the cap instead of pooling at the bottom of the container - this will keep it nice and clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2009 11:01:00 PM More reviews by tvejsicky

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have used the Crystal Body Deodorant since the late '80's. I was advised to used when I complained about white streaks on my clothing from standard deodorants. So I tried, and have been using ever since, turning on many people to it. It leaves no residue or stickiness, lasts forever, is natural, and has no fragrance. It's a great value, too. I've now seen them at some grocery stores and beauty supplies in various types and sizes. There is even a spray one, which can be used on your feet, if you suffer from stinky foot syndrome! Remember, it is NOT an antiperspirant, just a deodorant.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2009 10:54:00 PM More reviews by tvejsicky

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2009 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Ceci2468

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This really works! I bought the crystal stone from iherb.com and it's pretty inexpensive and should last close to a year. The stone comes with a little plastic dish. Make sure to use the deoderant on cleaned skin. I just wet the top of the stone with water and rub on my underarms. It doesn't protect against perspiration but it works wonders on odors. For me, the protection lasts all day long. I am so impressed.
I also bought the body spray for my sons (15 & 21). Picked the spray up at Vitamin Shoppe. My 15yo had bad foot odor and now he doesn't. He just sprays his shoes at night and sprays his feet after showering. He also uses it for underarm deoderant and it works great. He's very active and perspires a lot but now never gets odiferous (LOL). My 21yo tried it for underarm but he didn't like it because he claims it drips and takes too long to dry. I must add that my 21yo is not into trying new things and he has no patience.
These products are so inexpensive and last a long time. I also see them at Vitamin Shoppe. It's all natural (mineral salts), unscented (even though I've seen scented ones out there) and no poisons entering the body. It's hypo-allergenic and doesn't leave marks on clothes. I highly recommend at least giving it a try. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2009 8:35:00 PM More reviews by Graceful26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this product because:

1)Contains no fragrance, aluminum or chlorohydrate
2) It doesn't mask or trap sweat (only making it worse later), but rather let's you breathe
3) Comes in a small travel-sized package as well :)
4) Lasts a really long time (think of the savings in other deodorants!)

What I don't like about it is that:

1) You always need water to apply it
2) Sometimes water drips down the side when applying it

All it is is an odorless, mineral salt rock. I would buy it again and again because, as it is, I know of no safer product to use under my arms and it really does keep me fairly fresh. All other organic deodorants I've tried have made me stink after a few hours; this does not do that. A

I've been out in the sun all day sweating in this and still it keeps. You may find yourself smelling a bit like sweat - sort of a sweet but slightly musky scent - NOT BO.