Crystal Crystal Body Deodorant Stick

4.1

ammonium salts (natural mineral salts). 9.14.09

on 4/21/2010 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

First, I'm not into "green" products. I didn't switch because of the cancer scare tactics or whatever else they say about traditional antipersperants, I just don't like smelling. Regular deodorant/antipersperant never worked well for me. They would prevent most sweating, but any sweat that broke through would mix with the product, producing a worse smell than natural body odor. I've tried some that made me smell like pot or burning tires. Awful! So, since antipersperants never really gave me all the protection I wanted, I decided to focus on smell. I LOVE this stick. I use at least 20 swipes per arm, I want to make sure I'm covered. It lasts all day. And even though I sweat, its not as horrible as sweating with a traditional tacky deodorant where you stain your shirts, feel sticky, and smell worse. Actually, the main reason for switching is because I was sick of bleaching my shirts!! Antipersperant ruins all of my t-shirts, any color any brand. Some brand new Gap shirts were destroyed within hours!!So with this I soak them, but I don't ruin them lol. A+, will use forever.
P.S. I don't know if this is accurate, but I'm pretty sure I always felt like I sweat more than usual because my old deodorants would lock in that moisture and make it worse! I find with the crystal, I sweat minimally (or normally actually lol). I only sweat now when I'm outdoors in the heat and active, not like the old days when I'd have wet arm pits just sitting at my desk. I'm dry most of the day and don't smell! Also, if this doesn't work for you, check your shirts. I found some of my shirts smelled horrible when mixed with sweat, but my arm pits didn't actually smell.

on 3/29/2010 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have come back to this product because I wanted something natural, knowing that I would still sweat, but would control odor better than my Weleda spray. I did find that after wetting it I had to rub it in my pits at least a good 20-30 times to really deposit the crystal in order to truly make a difference in odor protection. If I just swiped it a few times it wouldn't work, so now that I have increased it I have been very happy. I do it really fast and it literally takes about 10-15 seconds, a small price to pay.

on 3/16/2010 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Yes, this product did mask odor. No odor what so ever. Not even the next day. However, it made my underarms itch like crazy and left it extremely irritated. Since using this last year in June, I still have dark underarms, prior to not having dark underarms at all, caused by irritation when I used this product. I'm extremely disappointed because I thought this product was "the one." I gave it a 2/5 because it did mask odor. And the search goes on....

on 3/11/2010 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I will be returning this product. I did not like it. I sweat alooooottttttt. I have been using Mitchum for several yrs because nothing on the market, nor prescriptions has worked for me. I have had some several embarrased failed attempts to switch to natural deodorants but still gave crystal a try, its a no go. I rubbed and rubbed away. I never stunk so much in my life.

on 3/2/2010 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This review is for the Crystal Body Deodorant that comes in the 5 oz. rock.

MUAers led me to this and I couldn't be more grateful. The scent of most deodorants/antiperspirants makes me want to throw up.

PROS:
*no scent to clash with my shower gels and perfumes
*protects against a little wetness (not much though)
*prevents odor instead of masking it
*doesn't stain clothing
*great for hot and humid climates as it is supposed to be applied to freshly showered, moist armpits (whereas you have to wait until your armpits are bone dry before you can apply most antiperspirants/deodorants or they won't work and sometimes it is hard to dry out in hot, sweaty Texas in the summertime)
*it is not an anti-perspirant, but for whatever reason, I sweat less wearing this
*If I'm particularly nervous and sweat a lot, I will develop an odor, but it is no worse than what I get wearing traditional deo/anti in a similarly sweaty situation.

USAGE TIPS:
*Always apply to freshly showered armpits.
*Always apply generously.
*Consider shaving the night before so that you don't rub salt into shaving knicks (ouch!--or, better yet, get your armpits lasered so that hair is no longer an issue!)

PLEASE NOTE:
*This type of product originates in Asian countries like Thailand (this one is manufactured in LA).
*Asians typically have fewer sweat glands in their armpits (according to Dr. Oz)
*Asians typically have much less body hair (which traps odor)
*Asians typically eat a more plant-based diet and avoid large quantities of beef, milk, cheese, and eggs (which are considered body odor causing foods)

I've used this nearly every day for the past year and I don't think it's gotten any shorter. It definitely holds up for at least 2 days. I apply it after showering, about 5 passes under each arm.

on 2/3/2010 6:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This review is for no-name brand deoderant crystal. It's a stick of 100% ammonium alum. I got a cheapie drugstore brand and noticed that some of the more pricey "green" brands sell this stuff for 4-5 times the price, and it's the SAME one ingredient! It's worth reading lables!!

So as other reviewers have mentioned, this works by killing the bacteria in your pits that cause BO, so even when you sweat, you won't stink.

I switched to this from solid anti-perspirant about a year ago and have been loving it so far! I love that it doesn't mark up my clothes with the gross white gummy mess from my old anti-perspirant. That stuff never came off despite scrubbing and all kinds of removers! Ugh.

I apply this just as a I get out of the shower before I dry off, applying for about a full minute to each armpit and making sure to cover the whole surrounding area. If I wait too long and my pits dry, the stick won't glide on, so I just splash on a little extra water to the pit and/or stick. It's a bit more time-consuming than conventional products, but only minimally, and the results are worth the extra minute or two.

My stick comes with a cap, but I just leave it off so the stick can dry after I apply it, and it hasn't started to smell like some reviewers mentioned.

I thought it would be weird to sweat more due to the lack of anti-perspirant ingredients (alumininum etc.), but the fact that there is no more yucky 'gummy' mess from the anti-perspirant film on my skin (and clothes!) means that the sweat can evaporate faster from both. So while there may be a little more sweat at first, my armpits actually feel drier and more comfortable overall with no sticky residue.

I am currently experimenting with adding a little body spray for a bit of fresh scent, because I do miss that a little, especially towards the end of the day. I by no means reek of BO, but wouldn't mind a little extra something pretty in addition to my natural scent. One reviewer mentioned spraying body spray directly on the stick to add scent to the product and disinfect it at the same time. I've done this a few times and it seems to work great.

I'm finding that I do have to shower every day (or at least wash the 'pits thoroughly) in order to feel completely fresh. In the winter I used to shower every other day (if I'm not exercising or working up a sweat, of course!) and would just add a little more anti-perspirant to refreshen, but you can't do that with the crystal, unfortunately. The "second day" feeling isn't horribly stinky or anything, I think the product is still somewhat effective then, just not enough to feel fresh.

I find I can rewear shirts once or twice except in really hot weather if I shower every day and reapply the stick.

I'm definitely going to get my BF the spray version of this for his feet next summer!

I've been using my stick for a year and it's hardly made a dent in the product. At this rate, if it doesn't break it'll last me years! Another plus for a "green" product, less packaging to throw away, and less money spent (mine was about 2). I went through probably 6 conventional deos a year, in comparison.

This will ruin marble, so be careful where you let it sit/drip!

In sum, this is a wonderful EFFECTIVE natural product. If anyone is thinking of switching, make sure you read lots of these reviews to learn about the best ways to apply and get best results.

Update: On HOT summer days, I have to admit that this alone doesn't quite cut it. I layer this (applied right out of the shower) with some generic zinc oxide wound/diaper cream on top, and a spritz of scented body splash, and it's awesome :-D

Update May 2012: I just realized I have been using the same stick for over 3 years and there is still a ton left!!! I am currently layering this with a roll-on zinc oxide deo from Sebamed which contains a tiny amount of scent. This combination is wonderful, no whiffiness at all!

on 1/26/2010 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to say this product is a life saver. I sweat a lot and prefer that I not have any underarm funk at all (who doesn't). I actually use this in addition to my regular deoderant and have been doing this for years. It also has lasted about that long too. If you have a sweating/stink (ha!) problem I def would recommend this.

on 1/17/2010 5:28:00 PM

Love it, love it, love it. Why? Well, for starters, it works. I apply immediately after showering while my underarms are still wet, and it glides on smoothly. If I forget and dry my armpits, I just run the stick under the faucet for a second to wet it before applying. No, it isn't an antiperspirant, so I sweat ... but I never smell bad. It lasts for about twenty-four hours; after that, I start getting a little stinky. Other things I love: no overpowering fragrance, no ugly white residue, no weird staining on my clothes. Best of all, it lasts forever. My first crystal stick lasted for nearly five years, and I only just had to buy my second one! It's incredibly cost-effective and I like that I'm not throwing away plastic every couple of months.

on 12/6/2009 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've been using this for 2 or 3 years and it really works for me, even now that I live in New Orleans (steam-bath!) I use it straight out of the shower, when I'm already wet. Yes, I still sweat, but for me it controls odor as well as antiperspirants, and I no longer have yucky white stains on my clothes!

I always rinse it after use, as the smell of even soaps will transfer to the stick. To avoid it becoming crumbly and nasty in the container, I store it upside-down after I use it. This way, the water drips into the cap instead of pooling at the bottom of the container - this will keep it nice and clean.

Video Reviews & Tutorials