November 22, 2014 | 1820 users online

Concealers - MAC - Select Cover-Up

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2012 12:51:00 AM More reviews by JChrisBee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After seeing several youtube gurus using this product, I thought what the heck and ordered it when they were having free 2 day shipping. However, I was terribly disappointed with Select Cover Up. First of all, the shade didn't match the same shade in the Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. The concealer was much lighter than the foundation and left my skin looking ghostly and ashy. It also dries too quickly and is hard to blend. Not only does it dry too quickly, but it is also drying on the skin. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Note: I sent it back to MAC and ordered the Pro Longwear concealer and was instantly in love with this long lasting concealer which was completely opposite of Select Cover up. The rep, over the phone, helped me find the right shade and it is perfect. I only need this and my bb cream and my face looks flawless all day.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by maybom

Over this years, I've bought 4 tubes of this stuff (in NC30) and although it's works good to cover my undereye discoloration, which isn't even that bad, it's way too thin to cover up any blemishes like the redness from pimples or to hide old pimple scars. Color is a perfect match for me and the consistency is buildable but only to a point.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2012 9:58:00 AM More reviews by jamandbutter

I'm into my third tube of Select Cover-Up and each can last me for more than 6 months. I use it mainly for my dark eye circles. Having tried MAC studio finish concealer and moisturecover, I have to say that I like select cover-up best. Studio finish is very pigmented and has the best coverage of the three but it's thick and dry and emphasizes fine lines. Even as I'm able to hide my dark circles, I had friends commenting I should switch to a better eye cream. Moisturecover has a thin, liquid consistency and is very blendable, coverage is decent but it wasn't able to withstand the tropical heat and humidity where I live. By the end of the day, my dark circles show and my cheeks get oily from the product slipping down my face. Not good. Select cover-up, however, applies easily under the eye and is quite pigmented - my eye area looks brighter and dark circles are covered up pretty well (not 100% but good enough). I'm satisfied and happy to stick with this until something better comes along.
For reference, I use this in NC30.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by cmacintyre100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not a bad concealer. Is quite sheer - wouldn't recommend for dark circles, better to go either with a corrector underneath or use something with a pinky/peachy tone like the Bobbi Brown or Eve Pearl line. One tube lasts quite a long time as little product is needed. Not sure if I will repurchase, I think I might try Moisture cover next time.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 10:46:00 AM More reviews by alousek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I donít really suffer from dark under eye cicrles, but of course I do look better with a touch of under eye concealer. I decided to go to MAC because of the wide shade range. The SA chose a perfect shade for me Ė NW20. I am happy with the choice and have already my 5th tube or so.
It goes easily on, does not settle into the small wrinkles around eyes. Offers a bit of colour and is buildable to almost full coverage and am more than satisfied with the finish. I use it with the MAC double fibre 286 brush that was recommended to me lately in the store when I went for a new one.
Occasionally also use it for spots or any other things to conceal on my face, works well as well.
Lasts forever, but I usually stop using it after the recommended 6moths after opening. It is because of my eyes, I donít want to take any risk irritating them. Elsewhere on my face I would use it even longer than that.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by beautyglitter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this the past weekend to try it, and it does not work for me. It dried out under my eyes and I could not get it to blend properly. Also, it was too sheer to cover my dark circles, but I already knew that (so is every other concealer I have ever tried lol) and thought I would be able to layer it with another concealer for better coverage. I can't do that since it dries up the way it does on my skin because it looks really cakey. i will be taking this back to the MAC counter to exchange for something else of theirs or money back.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Kayraven

I'm on my second tube of this. I don't feel like I can add something to what everyone has said here, but this is my HG concealer. It's the best thing I've ever tried, and I have tried a thousand heavy-duty concealers over the time since at times I have terrible breakouts that not many concealers can cover
Pro's:
- comes in a huge amount of shades and you would always be able to find a match, I am NW15 (very fair) and I have trouble finding something this light, so it's a great luck for me
- heavy-duty - covers up everything! really, anything - dark areas under the eyes, bright red break outs (which I squeese all the time, so it's a mess), even scars (I've covered up bite marks and scratches with this)
- buildable, if you would need more than two layers (wonder why) it doesn't cake much
- stays put all day. This wouldn't budge unless I get really sweaty in the summer
- could be used multi-purpose: eyelids, lips, over the body.
- lasts forever, a little tube goes a really long way
Con's:
- Not a fan of the packaging, i keep on getting too much out
- It stinks, literally, really bad smell, but it doesn't stay at all. just smells in the tube

CAUTION: If you use it on your lips, moisturize, it can be drying
and it can look messy if you layer too much on foundation, and then use a good layer of powder - don't do that!

UPDATE: I've switched to MUFE Full coverage and in comparison this is so much cackier than MUFE. It really spreads too thickly and I can not really use setting powder on top cause it looks like a mask. Apply with sponge or MAC concealer brush only!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2012 6:55:00 AM More reviews by LishWilliams

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product! it lasts for ages. i use it under my eyes and to highlight my eyebrows. I love it. It has a soft bendable texture and help cover those (I stayed up all night) bags. I like to use a fluffy brush to blend out this product. I do think less is more as this can crease under the eye if you put to much on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by ladehc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my HG concealer, in conjunction with my newly discovered Benefit Boi-ing. I use it for covering blemishes and hyperpigmentation/scarring. Very opaque and blendable. Does not sit "on" my skin or cake. It looks very natural. I rated the price for this one as "1 - Dirt Cheap" because I have had this concealer for like two years, using it all the time, and have barely made a dent! You need the smallest amount! It's pretty amazing how long it has lasted me. Would repurchas (if I ever even need to! Actually I probably should before it goes off...).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I do like this concealor, I use it in NW15 to cover my blemishes and dark circles. I have acne scars and very few concealors cover them,but this does. It lasts all day on my skin with powder without need for touch ups. Packaging is good, in a nice squeeze tube...hygenic so you don't have to dip your fingers into a pot unlike the MAC studio sculpt concealor.

I won't buy this concealor again just because I hate applying foundation then concealor...I found a foundation that does both in one step perfectly (Napoleon Perdis cover stick)...but if that ever discontinued I'd definately use this again with my dior sculpt foundation