Wen by Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

3.2

Not tested on animals

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I was really really hoping Wen would be the miracle product they advertise it to be on those home shopping networks, but this is the most expensive hair care I've ever bought and it was total rubbish!! I did not get results like those shown on the ads. My hair reacted the same as if I had used a really cheap shampoo and no conditioner. It was dry, hugely frizzy, knotty, breaking off and just unmanagable. I also got a TONNE of hairfall from this product - scary stuff, like entire chunks of hair just coming out. I've been conditioner-only washing for a while now so I had no problem with the technique which may explain why I didn't get a greasy scalp with this. For me it was just like using shampoo (a really bad, expensive, time-consuming shampoo).

At the moment, the best routine for me is conditioner only washing (with an actual conditioner not this Wen crap) followed by a silicone conditioner to condition and then a tonne of leave-ins like Kerastase Ultime Elixir. I mix this up with the occassional shampoo with a highly moisturising shampoo to deal with my roots which are virgin and do get greasy after a while.

on 2/20/2013 10:56:00 PM

I always wanted to try wen cleansing conditioner. Finally went to sephora o see they sell the sweet almond mint in single bottles and in a kit. I bough the kit that came with the cleansing conditioner, the hydrating sweet mint deep cleansing conditioner, and the hydrating conditioning spray. I was all excited got home took my shower followed the directions carefully. I used 10 pumps I have pretty thin hair but it can soak up deep conditionings without getting greasy. I swore like almost half the bottle was gone after one use! I thought it was kind of pathetic considering the price isn't the best. I normally use the Moroccan oil brand volumizing shampoo and conditioner which normal costs 20 dollars for a small bottle but its my favorite stuff that leaves your hair healthy an shiny an I'm used to paying high prices or hair car and your only supposed to use the one bottle so its not to bad but if your thinking that this stuff will give you magical results and no fuzz while blowing drying think again it made my hair shiny and smoot the first time the second time just was okay the third time my hair got greasy easy it builds up to easily on your scalp when you use to much I recommend you use five pumps as appose to the 8-12 suggested pumps because you really don't need that much conditioner on your hair also I notice after I was the wen off my hair feels dry as not smooth like my Moroccan oil so what I've been doing is using wen then using moroccan oils conditioner for that smoothness and my hair looks amazing after blow drying I don't even both straightening

on 2/20/2013 4:05:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product. However, it made me break out pretty bad. I developed large, painful cystic breakouts on my forehead and along my hair line. It also made my hair feel heavy and oily the next day. In addition, I purchased the whole set from a retailer and I am unable to return it!

on 2/17/2013 10:47:00 PM

I feel like this product doesn't work for me because my my specific routine. I only was my hair once a week so I think that because it is ink a conditioner, it won't clean all of the buildup in my hair. I have hair down to my hips and I honestly needed half amount they suggested, I also put water on it to make it go further, which you're supposed to do anyway. It literally made my hair feel dirty a couple of hours afterwards so I had to wash it again the next day with a cheap sulphate shampoo which with the matching conditioner makes my hair beautiful. Smell is okay, peppermint dominates it. Packaging is good and practice.

on 2/15/2013 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I received a sample of this product in one of my beauty boxes, and when I ran out I bought the full size. I have medium length, fine, thin hair, and this makes my hair fuller, thicker and so soft. I love it. I only need four pumps because of my hair type. If I had thicker hair I'd need more pumps, and I don't think I could afford it since it's so expensive. For me it's a good value, though. I took off one lippie because if you don't rinse properly, which means for about two minutes, your hair will end up stringy and kind of greasy. It has to be applied after you rinse your hair for at least a minute, and it has to be rinsed out for about two minutes. I have fine hair. I you have thick hair, take even longer to rinse. The result are worth it. Also, I alternate this with L'Oreal EverPure Moisturizing Shampoo, which is sulfate free, to save money.

on 2/12/2013 1:01:00 AM

Like everyone else, I tried really hard to like this product because of how expensive it was. It did nothing for me. It made my hair feel and look greasy. I would definitely not recommend this to anyone, not matter what type of hair they have!

on 2/9/2013 3:09:00 PM

I can say that I will not go back to regular shampoo and conditioner after using Wen, I am quite happy with the results.
I'd been fascinated with the concept of Wen for awhile, so finally took the plunge and got it. It's definitely more expensive than your average shampoo and conditioner and I was pretty shocked at how much the directions tell you to use. That part seems like a scam - use a ton per wash so we can make more money. I'd say test out what works for you, don't necessarily use the suggested amount.
I have super straight, fine, long hair that tends to get oily after one day, so initially I was skeptical about putting a ton of conditioner in my hair to get it clean and was worried it would be weighed down and greasy. To my surprise not only was it clean, but I can skip a day without washing it, and it is still not oily by the end of the second day. (this also helps cut down on the cost of Wen since I'm not using it every day) My hair will always be fine, no changing that, but it definitely styles more easily and appears thicker while still being soft. I can style my hair with a curling iron and the curl will actually stay all day, as opposed to before, when it would lose the curl after about an hour. I think the part that was the most surprising is how shiny my hair looks. Several people asked me if I colored my hair recently, but it's just the shine bringing out natural highlights. Thank you, Wen!
The directions call for 10 - 20 pumps, I only use about 9. I think the key to this product is two things: getting your hair soaking wet, and really massaging it into your scalp. I'm still a bit mystified how the product works, but I've found those two things to help it.
For me personally the hair that came out wasn't any more dramatic than it was with other conditioners, and now it seems to have lessened a great deal.
The one thing I'm not crazy about is the pump. The system is based off of how many pumps to use, but I had a good inch of product left in my first bottle and the pump no longer was able to suck the stuff up. I had to open the bottle and just guess how many pumps I was using.

on 1/30/2013 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really, really wanted to love this. I got the set from Sephora. After the first use, tons of hair came out. I thought it mush be just regular "fall out" and continued to use it for a week. I used it every other day. So 3 or 4 times. I didn't use any other shampoo or conditioner. I wanted to give it a real chance.

However, this will be going back. I have small patches of hair loss. I wish I had never used this. I have lots of thick, long hair and I'm so upset at seeing it thin and patchy. Granted, most people won't notice but I did.

The set came with deep conditioner and a refreshing spray. I haven't used either.

MADE MY HAIR FALL OUT.

on 1/18/2013 1:16:00 PM

Makes fine, oily hair heavy, limp and greasy. There's really nothing in this that will clean your scalp and hair, it's a mixture of glycerin, fatty alcohols, botanicals (which include potential irritants like essential oils and menthol), some silicones & polyquats. Putting non water soluble ingredients in a cleansing conditioner defeats the purpose anyways, as they can build up over time & you will need a shampoo to remove them. If you like this & you find it stops working over time, definitely use a clarifying shampoo to get the build up out. Very expensive and increased shedding on me to boot, so it doesn't work for me.

As far as his claims that shampoo damages hair, that is nonsense! It's usually mechanical damage / improper technique that can potentially cause damage, not the shampoo itself. Cleanse scalp gently, let the lather run down the length of your hair, don't pile hair on top of your head and you should be fine.

Video Reviews & Tutorials