October 25, 2014 | 1833 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2014 2:00:00 PM More reviews by molliebeckman

I love and use my beauty blender every single day. I find that I can build up a good amount of coverage over my acne-prone skin, but still makes my foundation look natural. Overall it's a wonderful product and I would recommend it to anyone who can bear the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by mariazorina

was hesitating whether to buy this or not since it's kinda on a pricey side but let me tell this: it's amAzing make up application is so much easier now and it give it such a flawless look loving it!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2014 1:29:00 AM More reviews by AllyDean

I would definitely recommend this for a natural look and for great coverage.

In my own experience, I've actually used less bb cream overall since the beautyblender enables a larger coverage area compared to a brush. With the brush I would feel that some areas didn't have enough coverage, and thus use more bb cream. But with the beautyblender, I feel that I can cover more areas of my face for less, possibly because it blends everything evenly and provides a very natural finish. However, overall I found that it did take a lot longer with the beautyblender than a brush, due to the size of the sponge, pouncing takes longer than swirling a brush on your face and it takes some maneuvering to pounce the product into hard to reach places..

On the other hand, I use more loose powder with the beauty blender as when i dab the beautyblender into the loose powder it would take a lot with it. With the brush, I could just tap the some powder back into the container, but with the beautyblender, I find it quite difficult to dislodge loose powder from the sponge.

But, I do very much like the natural coverage of the beautyblender that a brush just cannot achieve. With a brush I always find that I end up with not enough or too heavy a coverage, resulting in a caked on appearance. But the beautyblender provides a flawless natural coverage to the point where it looks like I don't have any make-up on at all!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by avghuman

Like seriously? This thing is a godsent. it's great for everyday medium coverage. I use it with both mineral and liquid foundation. I still use brushes for blush, etc. Never jas my makeup looked so good! I clean this as much as I can. I sterilize and get the makeup out with antibacterial soap. I then microwave it in an inch of hot water for 30 seconds to get all thr bacteria out. I'll be beautyblending for a long time to come.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2014 6:07:00 AM More reviews by GreatReviews

I do like that whenever I use this, I get an extremely natural finish, as if my skin is naturally flawless. I really love this as it makes me looks like I have no makeup on. However, it might be a little too pricey and there are people saying that dupes of the BeautyBlender do exist for a much, much cheaper price. I haven't tried any other sponges from the drugstore, but I do think that $30sgd might be a little too pricey.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 11:29:00 AM More reviews by jiney17

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this before every work day for the past two weeks, so I think it's about time for a review. I've been looking for ways to speed up my morning makeup routine and wanted to try some kind of sponge. I figured I might as well start with the top dog so I have a basis for comparison. I've found this is a good, fast way to blend my morning makeup (Laura Mercier TM).

You're supposed to soak the sponge in water, squeeze it out, then dip it in your makeup to apply by bouncing it lightly where you want coverage. The water prevents the sponge from absorbing too much of your foundation as well as sheers it out a bit. Following the directions gives a rather sheer, glowy effect. It's pretty, but sometimes you want more coverage, right? My way of doing that is to soak and squeeze out the sponge, but I don't dip it into my makeup. Instead, I quickly sort of smear the makeup where I want it to go on my face with my fingers and then bounce the BB to stipple/blend it in. This gives more coverage than the suggested way.

The pointy end of the sponge is great for blending concealer around the nose and eyes. Of course, it's not good for precision work, but that's not really the point of this thing, is it? It's speed and ease of use. (Though I think BB should make a smaller version, maybe stick it on the end of a handle, and market it as a concealer blender. Not that it would work very well, but they'd probably make bank on the thing. In fact, I bet someone's already made a similar product).

For some absurd reason, I will spend the money on a little pink makeup egg, but draw the line at geting the special cleanser. The sponge is necessary, I guess, but the cleanser is pure decadence! Instead, I soak the sponge with cool water, then gently rub it over my bar of Nubian Heritage African black soap. I lightly knead the sponge to get a lather going, then I rinse it thoroughly under a running tap (cool water), squeeze it, and leave it to air-dry. This gets every bit of makeup out. There are no stains on my BB; it looks brand new. I'm sure you could do this with any kind of soap. However, I've noticed that a bit of pink dye is released everytime I wash the BB, though. Be careful because the pinkish water will stain white towels and clothing.

So far, I'm quite happy with my hot pink makeup egg sponge thing. It greatly speeds up my morning routine and gives my makeup a natural, glowy, air-brushed look. I'll edit if the BB explodes into alien fungal spores (as some of the more dire negative reviews warn) or whatever. One lippie off because yeah, this thing is overpriced. I'll keep an eye out for good dupes.

P.S. You can use a cheap wedge-shaped latex sponge to stipple/blend makeup by soaking it in water and bouncing it on your face. It will take longer, however, and the shape makes it trickier to use. I'd suggest you give this method a shot if you have a cheapo sponge lying around. If you like the effect it gives, you can then decide if you want to spend the extra money for the convenience of a rounded sponge.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by vpivoine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this gem yet. It's a must have for every one that uses foundation, IMO. I'm on my third one.

- It's best used when damp, I usually wash it in the morning with soap and gently squeeze dry with a towel. It gets 2x larger when damp, and sooo soft.
- I use a press-swipe motion to blend my foundation. First gently press on your face (like dotting on it) and then quickly swipe to the next location and repeat.
- It blends amazingly, but it does absorb some product like all sponges do, so you will need to use a bit more than if you were using a brush/finger. But it's not a problem for me.

This has made my life so much easier. You basically don't need any technique to achieve an airbrushed finish. Highly highly recommended for everyone, especially novices.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by Bunnieskat

I was expecting this product to be a miracle .. Honestly I get more coverage with my elf powder brush...but it does feel like you hae nothing on your face . I recommend this to some one who needs light to medium coverage , the beauty blender would make your foundation look flawless.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by labelladolce

Amazing. I use it for my under eye concealer and it blends it so well. I used to use a dry flat top brush and it left my under eyes so cakey and dry looking! I didn't realize how good my make up could look until I started using the beauty blender. The sponginess plus the moisture really blends it into my skin and reduces harsh edges (for those who like a bright highlighted look). Only down side is that it's a little small to use all over the face for foundation unless you're really patient with bouncing that little sponge everywhere which is why I primarily use it for under eyes. It is also a little difficult to hold the narrow end and use all over the face because it is easy to lose grip. Therefore if you have fast drying foundation you better work quick! Also, nothing really cleans the sponge extremely well for me so I'm guessing I need to purchase the cleanser too which is very expensive. Lastly, it is expensive but well worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by tiny101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've always used brushes (the ELF Flat Top) for my foundation, because they're sanitary and easy to use. However, upon hearing so many raves for the beauty blender, I decided to give it a go anyways, despite the potential sanitary issues that could arise. It was amazing. It was so quick and easy, and the finish for my Estee Lauder Double Wear was phenomenal... so much better than any brush could achieve.

[ PROS ]
- Very easy to use
- Provides an amazingly natural finish
- Can be used to sheer out a heavy foundation
- Can be used to build up a very sheer foundation
- Great for patting concealer onto the under-eye area

[ CONS ]
- Very pricey
- A pain to clean (it must be cleaned very thoroughly or mold could appear!)
- Takes at least a day to fully dry (I have two that I use in rotation)

I usually use Dr. Bronner's soap bar to clean my beauty blenders and there have been no issues. In addition to this, I soak them in rubbing alcohol before I squeeze it out as much as I can and leave it to dry -- this is in hopes of preventing bacterial growth. To those who have had issues with mold, I suggest letting the beauty blender dry on top of a container in an area with good air flow.

While pricey, I really love this little tool and even the closest dupe (Real Techniques) does not feel quite the same (in terms of how it feels when I'm using it -- finish is quite similar). I will continue to repurchase :).