La Mer Creme de la mer moisturizer

3.5

Ingredients: Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Lime Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seeds, Alfalfa Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Powdered Almonds, [sodium, Potassium, Copper, Calcium, Duncecap, Magnesium, And Zinc Gluconate], Paraffin, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacin, Beta-carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat

on 6/1/2013 10:18:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using the creme for several years. I have dry-ish, acne prone skin (it is a little oily during my period). I started using CdLM in my mid-20's, and it made me break out occasionally. Now, I am not in my 20's, and I found that the older I get, the more I like the creme, because it is so moisturizing. I typically use this only at night, but occasionally (often in the winter) use this both night and day. The creme helps calm my skin, and even my skin tone. I wake up to refreshed, dewey skin! My friends often comment on how nice my skin looks!

The packaging is OK. It is a luxurious porcelain jar with a porcelain spatula. I really like the packaging. HOWEVER, apparently it is better for everything to come in a tube or pump, so there's that. If the ingredients really do become unstable because of packaging, then I guess the current packaging is a problem. It is pretty though :)

I know there are a lot of negative comments, and maybe the ingredients aren't rare, and maybe it doesn't work miracles, but it is does work well, better than most moisturizers I've tried (and I've tried a lot). Anyway, it is pricey, and definitely NOT worth it if it means that you go without food. But, if it the price won't cause hardship, I think it is a nice cream.

UPDATE 12/13/14:

I still love this as my night moisturizer. I get compliments on my skin when I am using the cream (I use it at night). I do not repurchase when money is tight, and I can tell a difference in my skin because of it.

on 5/30/2013 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This was one of the first premium products I tried and at the time I thought it was just amazing. I was using drugstore lotions and La Mer's packaging, smell and texture really was luxurious in comparison. Once I started trying other things, the allure wore off on me. It really is like a top product from a past generation. These days a "secret" blend of oceanic whatever just doesn't cut it - not without results. Thank you, La Mer, for introducing me to high end creams but our relationship wasn't meant to last.

on 5/19/2013 3:44:00 PM

I've been using this line for years. All I can say is that I am 50 and everyone thinks I'm in my mid to late 30's.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i would buy this again, well, if someone else bought it for me.

My feelings on this product are all prejudiced by the price. If this were sold at the drugstore for 3.99 a pot, I might buy it again. I don't know. As it is, I'm too scared to actually use enough of it to really tell if it has any effect.

It does feel quite nice as a heavy night cream, I suppose, and seems to be kinder on my extremely dry and sensitive skin than other creams - seems to have some reparative effects.

basically totally nonplussed.

on 5/7/2013 5:03:00 PM

I had high hopes for this product. But when I first applied it to my face, it felt heavy and greasy. And the smell made my eyes water and feel droopy. It reminded me of the old Pond's Cold Cream, only heavier. I wouldn't recommend this for people with strong-fragrance issues. I still have the original little pot because I can't bring myself to toss out something that expensive, but I won't be using it again.

on 4/17/2013 6:58:00 PM

I wouyld buy this product monthly if I could afford it. But in this economy and these prices - I am afraid it is Ponds for me.

on 4/13/2013 12:06:00 AM

Folks seem to be split on this product -- it is either a skin saver/miracle, or it is over-hyped. Given the price, I absolutely think this is more image than reality, and CDM really is not the miracle its made out to be. That said, it is a very good moisturizer for when you have really dryed out your skin and want something to counteract that. I have CDM, but I view it as an "emergency" moisturizer, which I use more as a treatment before I go to bed. When my skin is very irritated, I do find that applying CDM at night means I will be less irritated in the morning. That said, I am sure many other products have similar results that are not nearly so expensive. I haven't quite found what I want there though, so I continue to keep this around, but I have it forever since I use it so very rarely. I actually do find that at least the actual CDM has the real benefit of intense moisture, as opposed to The Concentrate which I do think is basically 100% hype with no obvious benefits and real risks for anyone with acne prone skin.

on 4/10/2013 1:23:00 PM

I've never been happier to buy into the hype as I LOVE this moisturiser!

I have normal/dry skin that can be sensitive and, if I use too much of the wrong moisturiser, prone to milia and breakouts.

It may well be in the art of the recommended application and the fact that due to it being more expensive than my regular moisturiser I'm definitely using less product but - I've been using Creme de la Mer since the beginning of the year and can honestly say that I have never been happier with my skin.

Fine lines are less noticeable, milia have disappeared, breakouts are few & far between - and friends have commented that on how good my skin looks.

It is expensive but it's worked for me - and I will definitely be re-purchasing.

on 4/5/2013 11:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have to respond to the naysayers! The longer you use the product, the more your skin will improve. I have been using this product since my mid-40's (I'm now 54). I've switched over the years (trying out other great products) but always go back to La Mer Creme de la Creme. It lasts so long that it's really no more expensive than other high-end products. Before La Mer, I never received compliments on my skin. Since using, I frequently do and have converted various friends and family members just from them seeing the remarkable change. It doesn't work overnight (but it does immediately nourish your skin -- and feels fantastic). If you can't afford it, then don't ruin your budget as there are other great products. But if you can swing the high price tag, I think it's worth every penny! Oh, and I'm not a big-spender -- this is the ONLY thing I splurge on.

on 4/4/2013 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

My sister was insane and bought this product and got a little sample pot to boot; so she gave me that. Honestly: I can't believe what charlatans can get away with. It's like: if it's expensive it must be good, and if it's SUPER expensive, well, obviously it must all be true, the promises and blah blah blah. What a bunch of bushwah. There is absolutely nothing special in the formula; what would have been about the only thing that could have some efficacy would be sunscreen but nope; doesn't have it.

Worse still is the antiquated packaging. Any promising active ingredients will start to degrade the moment you open the jar and expose the contents to sunlight and air. Doesn't the story go something like some space guy created this? A "scientist?" Well, any scientist worth his or her stuff would do due diligence and find out about the stability of formula components and do what it took to make sure the precious potion was stored appropriately to keep active ingredients stable and, well, active. But I guess people who waste money like this (sorry sis) are desperate to believe anything, any improvements they see would be the same (or better!) with a far cheaper product with a better formulation and stable packaging; OR they have money to burn and buying a pot of this stuff is more for the ego--"I can afford to waste money on this."

Honestly: extra virgin olive oil (kept in an opaque container!) would be a better skin care item than this junk. Consumers: start to read labels and learn about cosmetic ingredients and factors which degrade their quality and potency!

And consider this: if just ONE miracle cream out there actually worked, why would we need any more than that? Well, there are different skin types, but the fact that there are thousands and thousands of lotions and potions out there, that's really telling a reasonable person something. And here the rant endeth.