July 24, 2014 | 1256 users online

Moisturizers - La Mer - Creme de la mer moisturizer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 9:30:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

There's nothing like it. I almost feel like I have to defend this product, which is crazy because it's so good and nothing else does what it does. But people make a lot of snide comments about Creme de la Mer! Yes it's super-expensive but there's a reason why. No this is not just souped-up Nivea Cream. Not only does this provide extreme moisture, it provides extreme HEALING. Anytime there's something going on with my skin (blemish, irritation, anything) that I need to erase I know I can count on this and nothing else. It makes my skin plump, hydrated, glowing, and healthy.
I've searched and searched for a cheaper alternative and there just isn't one- this is the stuff! I have been using this off and on for years, and I'll always come back to Creme de la Mer.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 9:51:00 AM More reviews by BriddaBella

I was going to buy this product because I have dry skin and especially during winter time I need to make sure that I take extra care of my skin. Since I read lots of good reviews about it I went to La Mer and get a sample and the woman actually gave me a generous amount which lasted 2 weeks. First of all this cream has a thick consistency and you have to take a little bit and rub it between your fingers to warm it up and break it down a little so that it is more easily absorbed by your skin. I applied it on my face and it takes a while to absorb which I don't mind but I don't think I can use it as a day moisturiser under my makeup because it does stay on your skin and makes it a little sticky which makes it difficult to blend your foundation. So I only used the cream at night but in the morning I didn't see any difference to my skin which was disappointing considering it was supposed to help repair the skin, which it didn't do.

Alternative products: Cetaphil Moisturising Cream or Eucerin AQUAporin

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2012 2:34:00 AM More reviews by JLeroux

Creme de la Mer is incredibly rich, so I use it only on dry patches (I have combination skin). For me, it does a really good job taking care of dry spots without causing any breakouts. Also, I don't find this cream to be greasy at all, although I don't use it all over my face.

I rated it a 4 instead of 5 for 2 reasons: (1) The price. I really love this cream, but it is incredibly expensive. (2) It doesn't really do what it claims: "In a short time, firmness improves, lines, wrinkles and the look of pores become less visible, skin looks virtually ageless. Even the driest complexions are renewed and rejuvenated." For me, it took care of any dryness. However, my pores don't look any different. (I can't speak to its effectiveness with lines and wrinkles).

Overall: Great cream to take care of dry skin for those willing to spend the money.

Alternatives: This is my favorite face lotion.

Other Brand Recommendations: The Moisturizing Gel Cream is a nice alternative for those who don't like the richness of Creme de la Mer.

Value: Not great. I use this product very sparingly, so the 1oz tub does last me almost a year. However, it's really expensive and rarely discounted.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/28/2012 9:04:00 AM More reviews by elliotx

This is a great moisturizer that does all the things a good moisturizer should do without causing breakouts or greasiness. It's impressive how little you need to stay hydrated all day. I also found it slightly calming, which in my book is huge because practically everything irritates me. I'll repurchase throughout the winter, because frankly, it's the best moisturizer I've personally tried and I'm in no mood to experiment with cheaper products on the quest for my HG.
Can't give it a 5 because yeeeaahh..it IS overpriced. Just is. This stuff is no miracle that will transform your skin, but it is an excellent moisturizer, and that's all it's really supposed to do.
I'd say it's definitely worth a try if you're curious, and you can always get a sample that should last a couple of weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2012 2:29:00 PM More reviews by kycouture94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is SUPER pricey- but worth it. A little goes a long way, so you won't run out of it quickly. I had a MASSIVE burn on my face from leaving toothpaste on a zit all night (BAD IDEA!!) and within 2 days, I noticed a huge difference in the healing process of my burn. The smallest jar that they offer is $150, and the next size up is $275. This will definitely be a product that I'll use throughout my life.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/16/2012 10:20:00 AM More reviews by erinrebecca

I got a sample at Bloomingdales and used it for a few days--- then went to buy the full size $130 bottle of it. I have very dry, acne prone skin, so keeping my skin balanced is a challenge. For dryness, my biggest skin problem is around my mouth, where my skin is red and flaky in the winter.

At first I thought this was a great cream--- very high quality, nicely moisturizing, seemed to sooth my skin. Instantly moisturized the area around my mouth. But after about 1-1/2 weeks of using it, I began to break out in very tiny pimples and clogged pores everywhere. Plus, the dry flaky patches around my mouth returned. I continued using it for 3 weeks--- i wanted to give the cream a good chance considering the investment, and felt that maybe my skin just had to adjust/purge--- and my skin just continued to get worse. To the point where I needed to use peroxide on my face for a week, day and night, to clear it up. So I have discontinued using it. (on a side note, my fiancee does not like the smell of it; he thinks it smells a little like a Grandmotherly fragrance)

So, although I think it is really a good quality creme, for me it is just not worth the $130. If you are curious about it, and can afford to purchase the smallest $130 tub of it, try it. There are a lot of reviews on MakeupAlley that are glowing. For the 5-1/2 or 6 weeks that i used it, I used about 1/2 of the bottle. So the $130 bottle should last about 2-1/2 or 3 months, I would expect.

Because I use sunscreen everyday, I also purchased the La Mer $70 sunscreen---- which is wonderful. Light, silky, does the job. Still too expensive, but it is a great facial sunscreen.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Anchi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have acne prone skin and my skin never looked better then it does now! I have been using this moisturizer for just over a month and am seeing great results. I have quite large pores and acne scars. Since using the cream my pores look much smaller and my scars are not as visible. My skin tone is nice and even and my face feels amazingly smooth and soft! I live in a very cold and dry place so this is an amazing moisturizer for winter. Yes I get it that it is expensive but it is worth every penny!!!! I was truly hoping not to like this product when I initially purchased it but I have to admit that it will be very very very hard to try and switch to a different cream.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 3:15:00 PM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just finished my first jar of Creme de la Mer, and I have to say I'm not a fan. I also needed more product then the pea sized amount they recommend because there is hardly anything left on my finger to apply when the cream is warmed up. My skin is dry and eczema sensitive and this didn't do anything for me, it did not moisturize enough and seemed to dry my skin out even more! I suffer from flakey skin underneath my eyes and around my lips and La Mer did not really improve my skin, I think that it even made it worse!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by hufs

This product is a joke.
I am supposed to take a pea size amount and warm it up using my fingertips. By the time I have melted the product there is nothing for my face. I have used many high end creams but this one is really not anywhere near La prairie, Sisley or cle du pau.
But I admit I do have really soft fingertips. :)

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 10:57:00 AM More reviews by PrintesaBlonda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I first tried La Mer when I was 15 after reading too many celebrity magazines! I saved,saved (and saved a little more!) and purchased the 30ml jar. After finishing the jar I noticed no difference what so ever but now I understand that this was because my skin was perfect then! It wasn't until I tried it again now (I am 21) that I have experienced the wonderful transformation that it promises. When I was around 17 I developed horrible cystic acne which eventually calmed down (but not completely until I tried Roaccutane) I was left with significant "rolling scars" which are tiny indentations that make the skin look very uneven in terms of texture. Thankfully I have worked for the Estee Lauder Companies for a number of years now so I do manage to pick this up at a discounted price but even if I had to pay full price I would as this creme has transformed my skin these days. Scars are disappearing as I use it,my skin feels soft,plump and soothed and people actually compliment me on my skin (I have never had compliments on my skin before). If you are experiencing skin issues and want something that will make a difference please try La Mer you will not regret it! If you have perfect skin (lucky you) at best this will be a good moisturiser for you but you will not see the transformational benefits like those that have had and do have skin issues.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No