July 29, 2014 | 1572 users online

Self Tanners - Dove - Summer Glow

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2006 9:23:00 PM More reviews by alex_1111

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really didnt like this.

It smelt horrible, like ancient fake tan (when they first became available). It also went very streaky and orange no matter how carefully i applied it.

I found that it ran out very quicky, which i guess is ok for such an inexpensive product. the packaging looked good but was very inpractical, it was very hard to extract the product even when it was still half full.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2006 6:57:00 PM More reviews by BellaDiva

Much better than regular fake tan, although it still has a fake tan smell about it that gradually becomes more apparent and tends to put me off the product a little. Easily allows you to build up your tan slowly and looks natural. I have olive undertones to my skin and 3 coats gave a great looking tan, while 4 coats was a bit overdone (I used the darker shade).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2006 4:41:00 AM More reviews by britnay_77

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this better than Johnson and Johnson's Holiday glow, the texture and smell are much nicer and I've found it dries faster. To me it smells divine at first, then a little teeny bit fake tanney later. I love this stuff! It did not streak at all on me.
As for the white hands problem I wash my palms (onlu palms!) with a wet face cloth and some soap and then use handcream all over the rest of my hands, the hand cream blends into the tan on the top of your hands and hey presto it looks perfectly natural.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2006 6:38:00 AM More reviews by MariaBraun

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really keen to try this product. However now that I have tried it I can't really decide whether I like or dislike it.
On the positive side it produces a nice realistic tan that can be noticed after a single application. I don't actually agree that it streaks and comes out patchy. If you don't prepare your skin beforehand every self tan is going to come out patchy. Streaks are due to incorrect application so patches and streaks can be avoided. What I really don't like about this product is the absolutely revolting smell - a combination of chocolate digestives with peaches and bubble gum. I personally find this smell really vile. The application is also not that lovely - somehow it feels really slippery when applied and it takes quite a bit to absorb. I would be prepared to put up with all of the above for the sake of having a nice tan but there is another major minus - the way it makes my skin feel. When I wake up the next day (as I apply it nighttime) my skin feels tight and sticky. I guess the tightness might be due to higher levels of DHA in the product. Hence the colour is noticeable after a single application.
All in all, an ok product but I don't think I will be buying it again. I much prefer Nivea Sunkissed Skin lotion. It produces equally lovely colour but it's so much nicer to apply, smells divine and skin doesn't feel tight and creepy afterwards.
UPDATE: After a while I've decided to go back to this as the colour it produces is really deep after a single application. Therefore I would say this is more of a self tan with a moisturiser rather than the other way round. I would be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2006 10:15:00 AM More reviews by jokasta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm surprised there aren't more possitive reviews and raves about this but I suppose self tanners are a bit of a mystery on how and when they work well.
I've used a lot of high end self tanners, some better than the others. Either they were too expensive and hense used it sparingly or the color wasn't right / didn't sghow.
With Dove I never, ever have to sit under the sun hoping that my pale skin would look a tad bit healthier again. I just use it after a shower, dress right away and wake up the next day with a *gorgeous* tan. Seriously, there's nothing subtle about this self tanner. I get a great gold tan in just 2 applications. It's streak free and I can even get my feet and toes to look OK by dabbing a bit of moisturizer after the tanner. Perfection. And it's dead cheap too so I can use it every day.
I never tan too deep so this looks like me when on vacations sans the sun damage. Granted, I'm not tropical brown but healthy sun golden, no streaks.
I'm hooked.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2006 3:21:00 AM More reviews by leila12

This is the worst self tanner I have ever used..and I've used a few. The packaging is nice, the price is great...too bad it turned me bright yellow. This stuff is not subtle at all, and I've been scrubbing my skin all morning, trying to get rid of it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2006 10:53:00 AM More reviews by tip_your_hooker

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I switched to this from Johnson and Johnsons Holiday Skin in the hope that the smell would be a bit more bearable, thankfully it is. I'm not really sure what it smells like, kind of fruity, you can still smell the fake tan a little but it's not really noticeable and it fades after a while (unlike the J+J). The texture is also better as Holiday Skin is quite runny where as this is more creamy so it's easier to apply.

I bought the one for medium-dark skin even though my skin is fairly pale because in my experience with these kinds of self tanners the darker one does the same thing but in a shorter amount of time. However if you have pale skin you do need to be careful as results will be noticeable, it's taken me weeks of practice to apply this so it's (mostly) streak free. It's also difficult to get a balance between not having orange palms and having hands paler then rest of your body. Once you get the hang of it, it's well worth it though as I'm now a lovely olive/sunkissed colour. This has never turned me orange/yellow, but it won't turn you "I've just spent 8 hours in the sun everyday for a week with no suntan lotion" brown either, if thats the kind of look you want to go for.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2006 10:24:00 AM More reviews by scw1982

A good fake tan for pale skin. Left my skin feeling moisturised and with a nice light tan. Smells like bubblegum which is much nicer than the usual fake tan smell (it does fade to usual fake tan smell but its not that noticable). Overall I would recommend this product for those with pale skin who want a natural colour - it is very reasonably priced too.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/17/2006 5:31:00 PM More reviews by sarahthing

Well I think that this was the one I tried..I tried it in Light/Medium as I'm very pale..I really think that there's something about my skin that doesn;t take well to selftanners of any kind, including this one. I turned yellow and stripy, despite my ultra careful application, whereas my friend went very pale brown and even..great! So, my rating is for my experience with the product, although I know others have had better ones!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2006 8:46:00 AM More reviews by saldal

I tried this last night for the first time. It is very moisturising and feels very nice on the skin, the smell is lovely going on but eventually does fade to that typical fake tan smell (not half as bad as JandJ holiday skin though)
this morning there is a hint of colour but is unfortunately a tad streaky on my legs. A good product but i would probably try others before purchasing again. UPDATE, this looks great after about the third application and exfoliating every two days, i love it now and no streaks!!