Avene Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

4.4

on 2/23/2008 11:39:00 PM

My little tube of Neosporin recently expired, so I replaced it with a tube of Cicalfate. I don't think I'd pay the U.S. retail price for this, but since I only paid $8 from a French e-tailer, I think this was a pretty good deal. I have a terrible habit of picking at my skin, so I use little blobs of this on places where my skin is raw or broken. It does seem to speed up healing, though not any more than any other antibacterial ointment I've used. I tried using this as a soothing moisturizer on retinoid-irritated skin, but I think it broke me out slightly. However, it doesn't seem to clog pores or cause breakouts when I only use it on small areas of my face. It's opaque and bright white, so can be a little unsightly when dotted around my face. I always rub the excess on my hands and have discovered that it makes a great hand cream :)

on 1/29/2008 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Sorry. Kind of long. I'm 6 months pregnant, and I've been breaking out my entire pregnancy. So, to help make myself even somewhat presentable, I get bi-weekly facials from my dermatologist. Last week, I had 2 particularly large cysts on my chin that she extracted, but afterwards it was still...leaking (sorry, TMI). She said that the office was starting to use Avene Cicalfate in these scenarios because it is supposed to heal these types of blemishes faster (than something like Neosporin, WHICH I have used in the past and doesn't work well). She said it reduces inflammation and scarring. At this point, I was like yeah, whatever. It's fine. I am just going to accept my messed up skin. So, I had no expectations. She said not to put too much on (and gave me a sample). BTW, she also did NOT inject cortisone into the area. The next morning, there was no bump. The skin was healing, and I didn't notice any smaller clogged pores forming around the area. Now 4 days later, the blemish is virtually gone. I'm shocked and SOLD. I ordered the full size from DermStore this morning. Definitely HG potential.

on 1/27/2008 10:02:00 PM

I can't believe I haven't already reviewed this product! This is my skin saviour! I use this every night all over my face, applying lightly on my forehead (which is acne prone). This works miracles! I spray some La Roche Posay Thermal Water (I find their thermal water works better than Avènes'), let it dry a little and while my skin is still damp, I apply this cream liberally on my cheeks and temples. Keeps my normal skin healthy and radiant. I get so many complements on my flawless skin and I owe it all to this cream. Definitly HG material for me! Will never be without it!

on 1/2/2008 6:37:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

well, guess what, i use this product as a base for lip balm i make by just adding some essential oils like cedar wood.
it is good for my lips but not for my face! with my combi/normal skin it immediately glogges pores and so on

but i keep buying this for my lips!

on 12/4/2007 2:54:00 AM

I got this cream when I lived in France. It's kind of a multi-purpose cream for types of skin ailments. I think it works OK, but not any better than Neosporin. It just has the pretty pink and white tube with the Avene logo on it. It's definitely not worth buying, unless you live in Europe--otherwise use Neosporin.

on 11/9/2007 7:48:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Originally I had this product for my daughters diaper rash. Then I broke out on my chin really bad. I tried to fight it with my usual procedure:Proactiv!Didn't help so much this time...my skin was dried and the pimples red and itchy. So I thought I would give this cream a try. I put it on at night and when I woke up....WOW!!!My pimples were almost all gone..less bumpy and the nasty redness almost disappeared. This is really a miracle cream!!!I love it!You, who habe some breakouts give it a try and be amazed!!!!

on 9/29/2007 7:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Just recently I bought both LRP Cicaplast as well as Avene Cicalfate. Both creams are designed to repair the skin barrier, reduce inflammation, treat dry, chapped skin and heal cuts and scrapes. This is a thick, white cream, very moisturizing and soothing. I like it very much; also makes a great night cream. A staple in my medicin cabinet! Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Glycerin, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Zinc Oxide, Propylene Glycol, Polyglyceryl-2-Sesquiisostearate, PEG-22/Dodecyl Glycol Copolymer, Aluminum Sucrose, Octasulfate, Aluminum Stearate, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Microcrystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Zinc Sulfate.

This creme is supposed to help your skin recover. Not really. It broke me out in rosacea pastules after using. It felt smothering as if my skin could not breathe.

on 8/27/2007 12:44:00 AM

I had the liquid problem happen to me too. I actually drained the liquid off and think its maybe spring water??? don't know. The thick cream is on the bottom. Sucks but I love this cream and would buy it again. Its very soothing!
Updated 11/26/07 This has become my HG face cream. I alternate with Eluage Cream but the Cicalfate keeps my redness in check like nothing else I have ever used. I love this stuff. I now buy it from a US source and have not had the liquid problem occur again.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This is glorified diaper cream but it works wonders on ripped cuticles and paper cuts and general bobos. I have also used it around my eyes and nostrils when they were irritated. I cut my hand chopping vegetables last weekend and a bit of cicalfate cleared it right up. I alternate between this and La Roche Posay's Cicaplast, which soaks in a bit better. I find the products to be similar, but in France Cicalfate seems to be a lot more popular. I use CD apricot cream at night on my cuticles, but I find a little Cicalfate (or Cicaplast) on my cuticles during the day prevents them from ripping. A good all purpose product worth having in your stash.

Edit: in response to the review above, Cicalfate has the consistency and appearance of diaper rash cream- thick, white and opaque. Hope this helps!