April 24, 2014 | 1003 users online

Treatments - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 2:46:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wanted this to work for me but so far it just isn't. I have tried a few different recipes, with and without glycerin, aloe vera, and just plain vit c powder and distilled water. All of which broke me out. I even tried very weak concentrations to no avail. I was looking forward to brightening and evening my skintone and any sunprotection factor this was going to give. I am still all for making homemade products and am having a really positive experience with diy niacinamide toner right now. I just don't think Vit C agrees with my skin. The breakouts this caused were by no means terrible but I just don't think they are going away and not worth it to continue using this. Will try to use up my supply on my body.

Edit - i think this is working better for me now *fingers crossed* I use a 10% solution - water and vit c powder only. i think my issues before was I was making it too strong for my skin to tolerate and was rubbing it in. Now I just pat it in gently. I am not 100% sure if I am seeing results but i think my skin looks somewhat better in the morning after I use this and I have not attributed any new breakouts to this.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2012 5:29:00 AM More reviews by Nadelaine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Making your own Vitamin C serum is really easy and effective. I've bought a pump bottle from ebay and use some Neutrogena cream with no harmful additives as a base. I've purchased some pure ascorbic acid powder from iHerb, and I put a teaspoon of it in the pump bottle. I add a few drops of jojoba oil and pure hyaluronic acid which I've purchased on eBay (you don't have to do this if you want a really cheap serum). This makes the 'serum' a little bit more slippery which I like and of course the ingredients are good for your skin. My skin looks radiant, plump and blemish free with this homemade serum! Would really recommend trying this!

A quick tip: use the code UPU014 on iHerb to get 5$ of your order!

9 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by angelicbaby

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I started researching this recipe when I came upon it on youtube.

I purchased my ascorbic acid (Pure Vitamin C powder) at Holland and Barratt - a health food chain in the UK.

I desolve about 1/8 or less ascorbic acid with 1 tsp of distilled water and use an old make up brush to apply the solution to my face.

The solution does tingle at first but that soon stops however once the solution dries on my skin, I am left with a powder residude which itches like mad and makes my skin feel tight.

At present I am only leaving the solution for about 40 minutes or until I can bear the itching no longer. I wash it off with cotton pads soaked in Red Rose Water and apply a fragrance free moisturing lotion.

My skin is not too bad considering my age but I do feel that my skins feels plumper and very silky soft since I started this treatment.

Also, the first time I tried it, I got comments from work colleagues commenting on how fresh my skin looked. A very welcome boost to my ego.

Not only will I continue to use this treatment once a week I have also passed the recipe to some of my colleagues who are eager to try it for themselves.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 1:48:00 PM More reviews by kcm123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like so many, I'm thrilled to have found this remedy. I'm super cheap, so I've been putting it in a tiny glass bottle I already had, and then snapping that into a 35mm film canister (always knew those would be handy some day!) which is basically air and light-proof; applying with cotton ball. Not so pretty, but basically free!! I've been storing it in the fridge which makes it feel lovely when you put it on, but don't know if that actually helps lengthen the shelf life.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by annieoakly

Okay so I have acne prone skin with acne marks and uneven skin tone... so I went in search of something cheap that I could make st home.... and I came across vitamin serums. Well I have vitamin c tables 1000mg and I have bottled water and an extra travel sized bottle around the house so I decided to try it without a few of the ingredients from a recipe I found. I start by crushing two 1000 mg tables of ascorbic acid vitamin c ( the HEB brand) and then place into travel sized bottle, then fill with lukewarm water and shake. I make sure to shake it before each use. The results are crazy good! My skin is brighter, and so much smoother!! I have only been using for a few days so I can't tell you if it is fading acne scares, but it has evened everything out! And will these results I'll keeping using it!!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by ferndarlin

I've been using this for 3 days only, and my skin already feels smoother. I used Doves Farm organic vitamin c powder (it's pure ascorbic acid, I found it in the baking section of my local health store), a mix of geranium and witch hazel hyrdosol (I didn't have pure distilled water but I had these two which are distilled) and a few drops of jojoba oil. I'm about to try a new batch with glycerin, to see if the texture is any more silky. I'm hoping over time it will even out my skin tone and fade out my acne scars. It already seems to be helping!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2012 2:22:00 AM More reviews by lesteach

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This a great product. I always liked Vitamin C products and really it's the only one that truly makes a difference for my skin. It looks fresher, the tone is more even and my make-up applies beautifully. Just like other reviewers I purchased my Vit C and glycerin from iherb.com. Use this code to get your $5 off your order - WUY523

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2012 12:01:00 AM More reviews by 4tja

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Haven't actually tried this yet, I'm still in research mode.. just wanted to point out this useful article (& website) that says the best way to make Vitamin C serum/or to use Vit C for skincare is to use an "anhydrous vitamin C combo". The article says "One approach to improving vitamin C stability and reducing the potential for skin irritation is to use anhydrous vehicle, i.e. a topical base cream containing no water..." Worth reading!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 12:37:00 AM More reviews by saratee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

For several months, I was on a skin regimn where my derm was giving me a mild TCA peel on a regular basis and hydroquinone and retin A treatment( Obagi Nuderm). Although the treamtent significantly helped with my pigmentation, I was left with EXTREMELY irritated, flaky and sensitive skin. It's sensitive to the point that even attempting to sqeeze a black head can lead to a huge zit. Any hydrating cream makes me break out. All of these have left me with marks and uneven skin tone and i am 10 times worse off then i was before my obagi nu derm treatment :(.

I started using this serum a few weeks back. My skin is so super soft and supple and hydrated. Those annoying flaky bits around my mouth and chin are GONE. I expect to see improvement with my acne scarring soon. This is the formulation i use:

1 tsp vitamin C powder
5-6 tsp water (enough to dissolve). I never use hot water as ascorbic acid is very unstable and heat can change its properties.
4-5 tsp glycerin.

I usually add up the two liquids to 10 tsp. I guess that gives me a 10% vit C solution?

In the past I've added vitamin E or even a very small quantitiy of Retin A. The vitamin E was really thick and made me break out ( no surpises there). so now i just stick with the basic recipe. I might add the liqorice extract in a few weeks.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by harveystuart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Brilliant idea! I have always made my own facial stuff but I've never thought to make something with vitamin C.
I went to Whole Foods today and picked up some Camu Camu, Vegetable Glycerine, Licorice Root extract, and Raspberry Leaf Extract (a total of 80 bucks! but I can see why some people would already have all this around the house, so, you know.).
I think I must have done something wrong, and I actually feel really goofy, because the Camu Camu powder is a dark color and the mixture stayed an orangey/bronze and felt pretty sticky. I couldn't blend it into my fair skin so right now I have what looks like red clay lumped onto my face. I have terrible cystic acne scars around my jaw, chin and mouth and, being stubbornly hopeful, I decided to keep the shit on my face for about an hour and see what it does to brighten my skin tone, fade scars, and minimize fine lines. If it works, I'll use it as a mask a few times a week. I'm pretty hopeful! Also it smells great but I wouldn't recommend tasting it.