New York Color 309B Sheer Red

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Castor Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ozokerite, Candelilla Wax, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Beeswax, Lanolin Oil, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Petrolatum, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Carnauba Wax, Hydrogenated Microcrystalline Wax, Tridecyl Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Fragrance, Propylparaben, Tin Oxide, Silica. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Red 6 Lake, Red 7 Lake, Red 27 Lake, Yellow 10 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine

on 2/17/2010 2:48:00 PM

Sheer Red is a red lipstick that anyone can wear. The color is buildable. If you want a really sheer application, use lipbalm first. For a semi-translucent look, use a lip brush. For full impact, apply the lipstick directly to your lips without balm or brush. It also looks great with a dab of gloss over it to give it more shine. As other reviewers have stated, it doesn't turn fuschia on your lips (I do have that problem with Ruby). On my lips, the color is a true blue-red, not at all brick colored like it looks. Definitely worth a try, especially at this price.

on 12/18/2009 3:30:00 AM

OMG?! I got this on a whim because I am an amateur to red lips and wanted to try a red lippie out before I committed to a HE one. This was $0.98 at Walmart and it is actually really awesome! I like that the color is buildable. One layer will give you a sheer red (like the name...) while layering it gives a totally rich, brick brown look that is just so flattering on me (I'm NC20-25). What a steal! Best of all though, it's semi-matte but is REALLY moisturizing and smooth. It honestly wears like a HE lippee. It feels like lip balm and has a nice scent/taste...not overpowering at all and actually kind of pleasant. I really don't think you can go wrong with this, especially since it's less than a dollar! What a great buy!

on 11/14/2009 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This is a total steal. It's brick red in the tube, opaque creamy blue-red on lips. Yes, it is sheer in comparison to its tube color, but it's not translucent--it is pigmented on lips. I love it because, inexplicably, it doesn't turn fuschia on my lips. I'm NW15 and this shade just makes my skin look like cream. I do like that the lid is clear so you can see the lipstick color accurately, but I don't like how cheap the packaging looks or that the lipstick doesn't fully retract. Still, great for special occasions.

on 11/10/2009 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This lipstick has the texture of a rich balm. I love the way it feels on my lips. Sheer red is truly sheer. I was hesitant to buy thinking that the color that you see in the tube could in any way be sheer.

When I put it on not only did it feel great but found that it is the sheer red that I have been looking for but in lipstick form! The best thing is that I got this for .49. They are normally .99 but they were on sale. The packaging is cheap and you have to be careful putting the cap back on but this is not a deal breaker for me because the color is perfect!

It wouldn't be a bad idea to exfoliate really well the night before since the red emphasizes rougher patches.

on 10/12/2009 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is a lovely color that starts off sheer and builds to more opaque coverage. I wanted to love it but I can't. The packaging is atrocious for all the reasons stated by others and on me it wears horribly, leaving patches of color after only thirty minutes or so. It's not bad for 99 cents, but if I could do it again, I'd put the 99 cents toward a more worthwhile lippie like revlon's, loreal's, or Mac Russian red.

on 9/27/2009 3:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I have strayed away from red lipsticks for years because I have not been able to find one that I like against my olive skin tone and I've tried so many h/e and d/s. I kept reading all the wonderful reviews on here about this color so one day I figured I'd try it. I took one swipe of this and fell in love! Its the perfect red for me. I've heard that it looks great against almost all skin tones. ITS MAGIC! LOL I don't rebuy too many products but IF I ever get through a whole tube of this I definately would rebuy.

The only thing I don't like is the packaging. The product doesn't swivel all the way back down in to the tube so you have to be extremely careful when putting the lid back on or you'll knick your lipstick.

on 9/19/2009 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

In the tube it looks like a darker brick type red -- a color I wouldn't normally choose as orange based colors make me look flushed and ruddy. Also, owning the very pigment rich and very opaque Retro Red, also by N.Y.C., I was skeptical that this one could be anything but the same in intensity. But for 99 cents Sheer Red was worth a try and many people here gave it great reviews.

I am impressed. The color is a very muted cool toned red but there also isn't any hint of fuschia or pinkor berry in this red. There's something very unique about this shade. It's definitely a muted red, and even when I applied it full strength and built up the color it was not obnoxious or clownish. I think this is a very grown up and classy red. I think this lipstick could look great on any skin tone from light to dark and everything in between. It has a buttery shine to it, similar to a lip balm, and not dry or chalky at all. It has a very slight berryish smell that fades fast enough so it's not an issue for me. Also it wears comfortable and doesnt make my lips flake, tingle or feel dry or peel. The packaging isn't the greatest. I hate nicking the lipstick with the cap. Not a deal breaker though.

on 7/9/2009 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have asian tan skin and this color is lovely and so cheap. It is a red berry but not tacky. More uptown. My lips are moisturized and the creamy texture glides on easy. But this is a true red that is sheer. Even with multiple coats. I am not a red lipstick fan but just go out with this one early summer dinner with light makeup and see what happens.

Do try different lip liners underneath if you want it to be more opaque. It does not have lasting power but it is a great lipstick color at a great price. Who would think?

on 6/25/2009 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I decided to try this lipstick on the critique by Paula Begoun as a good inexpensive lipstick. There is a fairly limited selection of colors for this formulation, and I do not like the high shimmer of some of the shades. That look is a little too "young" for me. I had wanted to try a red lipstick for a while--a true red with a blue undertone, rather than tending towards warmer orange red. The color looked like what I was looking for in the tube. I have light olive skin, a MAC NW15, and look best in cool, jewel toned colors. This lipstick did not appear as a true red on my lips, but tended towards a deeper but sheer berry color. I think it is very beautiful and I am pleased--I bought this at Ulta with a 20% off coupon, so I think I paid $.72. It is a steal. The packaging isn't luxurious, but I would rather have a decent product in economical packaging, than pay for some huge container that is just thrown away. This is not a long-lasting lipstick, but it wears as well as many other lipsticks I've tried in the $7-$10 dollar range (or my one luxury item: a lipstick by Shiseido that I bought for $25 to celebrate graduating from school recently). If you love to play with makeup, and are on a budget, I would recommend this lipstick. It is slightly glossy, though not slick or unpleasant feeling. I think with a clear or similarly colored lip pencil, you could increase the durability of wear of this lipstick. It does leave a slight stain on my lips, so I don't have to touch up as frequently as I do with a true gloss. Very sheer, pretty and I am quite satisfied. I leave off one "lipstick" in the rating because of the slight berry fragrance. It is not unpleasant. I just don't like to wear anything scented.

on 6/24/2009 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Beautiful pinkish-red color! Or layer it up for a darker red.
It's a little drying and only lasted a couple hours but for 99 cents...amazing!
I want them all! :P