Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/20/2011 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Now that I have been using this as a primer, I no longer worry about checking my makeup throughout the day. It has given me the confidence of knowing that my makeup is fabulous from start to finish of my day!!! I am telling you that is a great feeling and such a sense of relief!!

on 11/20/2010 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have been trying this in several different ways...in the summer I used it all over, dabbed on with a cotton ball. Worked great. Fall came, it began to look a bit streaky/white (temperatures were getting lower, so maybe I didn't have enough oil to keep it transparent!).

I now only use this for special events or as an overnight mask once a week or less. If you get a breakout anywhere on your body, this is also good to use rather than benzoyl peroxide, say, on your chest because it won't bleach your clothing. I use it probably once a month right now in the winter time.

I have read all of the warning reviews about MoM on MA and I would suggest you do too if you are new to this product! The high basic quality of it is a bit intimidating, and the post about Mg(HO)2 building up in your skin over time was a bit freaky.

I haven't looked in to all the claims about this product yet, but I agree that it works to control oil. I just don't want there to be any weird health risks that bite us in the bum later.

on 11/1/2010 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I've been using this for my oily skin, I put it on under my makeup & it's worked wonders for me!

on 10/14/2010 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

i heard such good things about this product but it didnt work for me didnt reduce my oil nor did it make my makeup long lasting if anything it made it last more less than it would without the milk of magnesia plus it made my makeup all ehhh no .

on 10/3/2010 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Other, Kinky, Coarse

Miracle in a bottle. I have SUPER SUPER OILY SKIN. Mainly my t-zone. Nothing had worked to combat the oil and keep makeup in place. I have been embarrassed on so many occasions after catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror and seeing I am a big grease ball and my makeup has melted off.

I happen to come across reviews of MoM right here on makeup alley and l literally hoped in my car at 10:30 at night and went to Walgreens to pick up a bottle of Phillips. Yes, I was THAT desperate. That evening made a MoM mask. The next day I began using it as a primer. It has been about five days and my makeup has stayed put and my face does not get oily. This stuff works miracles!!! I attended an outside rehearsal dinner and an outdoor wedding this weekend in TEXAS and my makeup was flawless when I came back to the hotel room!!!!!!

If you have oily skin, go get you some MoM. Great as a oil controlling mask and/or a makeup primer. I would not recommend MoM for those who do not have oily skin. I think it would be quite drying. MoM dries up the oil. It even dried up some acne I had developed over the last month better than benzoyl peroxide of salicylic acid.

MoM is my HG primer :-)

on 9/14/2010 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

It's my turn to give my review! When I say my skin is SUPER OILY!! that is an understatement seriously. I have tried to use this product several times (with a brush, cotton ball, fingers etc...) and still the oil manages to come through.

I personally don't think it's safe to use long term after reading about the Ph balance level etc.... Anyway mixing my 2 current foundation (Maybelline Superstay and Revlon Colorstay) and buffing it in really good and following up with Revlon MIneral finishing powder I am noticing my skin isn't as oily and I don't have to blot as much through out the day.

Speaking of blotting, why are people investing in blotting paper? I simply use a kleenex and lightly blot, does the same thing.

on 8/29/2010 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

MoM does the work well by sucking the facial juices. However, it made my face, after having put on maybelline mineral foundation and dream matte powder, look like it had been through an acupuncture by a thousand needles!!! All my pores were readily visible. I didn't want to look any one in the eye, i was so embarrased. Otherwise, i would cont. using it. It certainly does a good job on absorbing the oils and sweat.

on 8/15/2010 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This went on well and kept my skin super mattified! So much that after two days I went into serious oil overproduction. Don't think I will use on my face again. While I was very happy that the brand I purchased was gluten free, I don't plan on consuming milk of magnesia anytime soon, so that is a moot point.

on 8/15/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Sharing my MOM-Primer experience in the case anyone else has had similar reactions: Over two years ago when I discovered the "secret" of using MOM as a mattifying oil control primer, I fell in love with it! I used it every single day for a year and a half, including during the winter, cold months. Then something happened.
I found out that whenever I drank anything with sulphites (sulfites) in it (the first instance, it was a red wine and in others it was alcoholic ciders) my face would react by having the skin under my eyes, react in a contact dermatitis manner, as in, wrinkling and almost as if it was a chemical burn with darkening on the skin. Can I just tell you all how difficult it was to find out that MOM was the culprit? Especially as I had used MOM for all this time with no reaction. I kept ruling out all sorts of ingredients in the stuff I was using to that fact that I must have been allergic to sulphites (yet why would it only affect my eyes?). Sometimes another product I had used near my eyes would also cause me to react with another of these episodes.The only thing that would help me in an episode was applying Vaseline as it's a barrier to lock moisture in and that would help heal my skin. It made me look a lot older and every flare up, I would be embarrassed because of the bags and wrinkling it cause around my eyes. No makeup could hide that! Why am I all of sudden reacting to products I haven't reacted to before and thinking I have a sulphite allergy? After a couple of months of this, I thought what if I stopped using my beloved oil-control product? What if, when I apply it to my face every morning it easily gets on my under eyes area as I mostly focus on applying it to my nose? Contact dermatitis is tricky as it will always be a product that doesn't cause an immediate reaction or irritation to the skin, but it does so, over time. Guess what? After I stopped using MOM, my condition stopped as well. To test it out, I definitely did drink my red wine and my ciders and I had no reactions after this. My thoughts on this is that perhaps I am sensitive to sulphites, but the product causing the contact dermatitis couldn't handle the sensitivity due to histamines being more prevalent.....really I don't know the exact scientific reason except for the fact it's related. Still every once in awhile I chose to occasionally use MOM for a special long, night out, making extra sure not to apply it anywhere near my eyes. Well for the last two weeks I have used it again due to the very humid weather here in Toronto during August, and it's been fabulous, until I drank some cider the other night, and I woke up to see a red welt on my forehead and just the beginning of some wrinkly skin on my lower " eye bag" area. Sigh, time to stop using it again. I have read in the Cosmetics Ingredient Database that the active ingredient in MOM which is Magnesium Hydroxide, is "bio-accumulative". This means that it keeps absorbing into your skin, accumulating the amounts each time you use it. This is basically not a very good thing. If you can use MOM every day and have never had any reactions, then good for you. And in case anyone is wondering, I had tried different brands of MOM and when I started reacting to it, I had actually just changed over to the Phillip's brand, but in this last time it's been a generic Rexall brand. After learning about my skin, I know I can use it once in awhile for a strategic oil control long day but I cannot use this day after day, or I face consequences. Pun intended.

on 8/7/2010 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I keep trying other primers and keep going back to this one time and time again. I have never used anything that has kept make-up on my face AND made it look so fresh for such a long time. In example, I had to go to a wedding and it was a looong drive there and I had to get ready beforehand. I used this as a primer mixed with 1 part water and let it dry and then put my make-up on...foundation, powder, eyeliner, the whole nine. My face looked flawless the whole night from about noon to 1 am. I was also having a really bad breakout at the time and it diffused my blemishes and made my foundation stick to those areas better. I have tried just about every primer and this is simply the best.

Popular Primer/ Correctors