September 30, 2014 | 1343 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Milk of Magnesia

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Caramelatte

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Other, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Miracle in a bottle. I have SUPER SUPER OILY SKIN. Mainly my t-zone. Nothing had worked to combat the oil and keep makeup in place. I have been embarrassed on so many occasions after catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror and seeing I am a big grease ball and my makeup has melted off.

I happen to come across reviews of MoM right here on makeup alley and l literally hoped in my car at 10:30 at night and went to Walgreens to pick up a bottle of Phillips. Yes, I was THAT desperate. That evening made a MoM mask. The next day I began using it as a primer. It has been about five days and my makeup has stayed put and my face does not get oily. This stuff works miracles!!! I attended an outside rehearsal dinner and an outdoor wedding this weekend in TEXAS and my makeup was flawless when I came back to the hotel room!!!!!!

If you have oily skin, go get you some MoM. Great as a oil controlling mask and/or a makeup primer. I would not recommend MoM for those who do not have oily skin. I think it would be quite drying. MoM dries up the oil. It even dried up some acne I had developed over the last month better than benzoyl peroxide of salicylic acid.

MoM is my HG primer :-)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2010 1:22:00 PM More reviews by kboogie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's my turn to give my review! When I say my skin is SUPER OILY!! that is an understatement seriously. I have tried to use this product several times (with a brush, cotton ball, fingers etc...) and still the oil manages to come through.

I personally don't think it's safe to use long term after reading about the Ph balance level etc.... Anyway mixing my 2 current foundation (Maybelline Superstay and Revlon Colorstay) and buffing it in really good and following up with Revlon MIneral finishing powder I am noticing my skin isn't as oily and I don't have to blot as much through out the day.

Speaking of blotting, why are people investing in blotting paper? I simply use a kleenex and lightly blot, does the same thing.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/29/2010 12:49:00 PM More reviews by creampuff7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

MoM does the work well by sucking the facial juices. However, it made my face, after having put on maybelline mineral foundation and dream matte powder, look like it had been through an acupuncture by a thousand needles!!! All my pores were readily visible. I didn't want to look any one in the eye, i was so embarrased. Otherwise, i would cont. using it. It certainly does a good job on absorbing the oils and sweat.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2010 7:58:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This went on well and kept my skin super mattified! So much that after two days I went into serious oil overproduction. Don't think I will use on my face again. While I was very happy that the brand I purchased was gluten free, I don't plan on consuming milk of magnesia anytime soon, so that is a moot point.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2010 11:41:00 AM More reviews by boogiepimp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Sharing my MOM-Primer experience in the case anyone else has had similar reactions: Over two years ago when I discovered the "secret" of using MOM as a mattifying oil control primer, I fell in love with it! I used it every single day for a year and a half, including during the winter, cold months. Then something happened.
I found out that whenever I drank anything with sulphites (sulfites) in it (the first instance, it was a red wine and in others it was alcoholic ciders) my face would react by having the skin under my eyes, react in a contact dermatitis manner, as in, wrinkling and almost as if it was a chemical burn with darkening on the skin. Can I just tell you all how difficult it was to find out that MOM was the culprit? Especially as I had used MOM for all this time with no reaction. I kept ruling out all sorts of ingredients in the stuff I was using to that fact that I must have been allergic to sulphites (yet why would it only affect my eyes?). Sometimes another product I had used near my eyes would also cause me to react with another of these episodes.The only thing that would help me in an episode was applying Vaseline as it's a barrier to lock moisture in and that would help heal my skin. It made me look a lot older and every flare up, I would be embarrassed because of the bags and wrinkling it cause around my eyes. No makeup could hide that! Why am I all of sudden reacting to products I haven't reacted to before and thinking I have a sulphite allergy? After a couple of months of this, I thought what if I stopped using my beloved oil-control product? What if, when I apply it to my face every morning it easily gets on my under eyes area as I mostly focus on applying it to my nose? Contact dermatitis is tricky as it will always be a product that doesn't cause an immediate reaction or irritation to the skin, but it does so, over time. Guess what? After I stopped using MOM, my condition stopped as well. To test it out, I definitely did drink my red wine and my ciders and I had no reactions after this. My thoughts on this is that perhaps I am sensitive to sulphites, but the product causing the contact dermatitis couldn't handle the sensitivity due to histamines being more prevalent.....really I don't know the exact scientific reason except for the fact it's related. Still every once in awhile I chose to occasionally use MOM for a special long, night out, making extra sure not to apply it anywhere near my eyes. Well for the last two weeks I have used it again due to the very humid weather here in Toronto during August, and it's been fabulous, until I drank some cider the other night, and I woke up to see a red welt on my forehead and just the beginning of some wrinkly skin on my lower " eye bag" area. Sigh, time to stop using it again. I have read in the Cosmetics Ingredient Database that the active ingredient in MOM which is Magnesium Hydroxide, is "bio-accumulative". This means that it keeps absorbing into your skin, accumulating the amounts each time you use it. This is basically not a very good thing. If you can use MOM every day and have never had any reactions, then good for you. And in case anyone is wondering, I had tried different brands of MOM and when I started reacting to it, I had actually just changed over to the Phillip's brand, but in this last time it's been a generic Rexall brand. After learning about my skin, I know I can use it once in awhile for a strategic oil control long day but I cannot use this day after day, or I face consequences. Pun intended.

36 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2010 8:45:00 PM More reviews by mplsgal10

I keep trying other primers and keep going back to this one time and time again. I have never used anything that has kept make-up on my face AND made it look so fresh for such a long time. In example, I had to go to a wedding and it was a looong drive there and I had to get ready beforehand. I used this as a primer mixed with 1 part water and let it dry and then put my make-up on...foundation, powder, eyeliner, the whole nine. My face looked flawless the whole night from about noon to 1 am. I was also having a really bad breakout at the time and it diffused my blemishes and made my foundation stick to those areas better. I have tried just about every primer and this is simply the best.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by lilaleahg

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WANT SKIN CANCER, LISTEN UP!!!

Alright ladies, I absolutely *love* me some sun screen. I love everything about it. The smell, the safety I feel once I get done slathering it on, the memories of me basking at the beach as a little kid with a painted white nose....Hell, I even love not having wrinkles.

But the drawback? Oil. Lots, and lots, of oil.

Used too I'd apply my sun screen, my regular store bought face primer, and then my liquid foundation. A few hours into the day my face would have an even bigger oil spill than BP's.

I soon learned that powdered products were my frenemies, as they helped get rid of the oil yet they left my face looking fake and powdery.

In between being a complete oi-slick versus a powdered donut, I couldn't venture into school looking like that every single day. I looked awful. The oil would run into my contacts, smudging both my mascara and even my gel liner. Or on the days I did wear face powder, no matter how good I tried to make light of a situation, the amount needed to cover up all of my oily areas left me scary looking and unblended. Everyday at school, as I would gaze deeply into the school bathroom mirror, I felt hideous.

I completely and wholeheartedly understand why some people don't wear sun screen. Though I don't necessarily agree with them for not wearing any form of protection, the amount of oil I had streaking down my face was unbearable.

But then came Milk of Magnesia.

Not only did it make my foundation last a few hours longer, it totally matified my face! Just by dabbing on one thin layer of Milk of Magnesia, my sun screen is no longer a burden to me nor my appearance.

The only downfall is that yes, it WILL dry your face out. For me that's not a problem as I tend to be a habitual water-drinker and my face is fine most of the time, but for a lot of people this will dry their skin. I only recommend Milk of Magnesia to sun screen wearers like myself, to naturally oily people, and especially for those who are on a budget looking for cheap simple ways to be beautiful.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by DTobusto

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow-I am surprised. I've been using milk of magnesia for about a week now and LOVE the results. I found out about it on youtube and figured, it is so cheap, why not give it a try? My first attempt was unsuccessful because I applied it directly to my cleansed skin and it turned completely WHITE. I didnt like the results. After a few weeks, I gave it another try and here is my routine:
Keep some in an old eyedrop bottle for easier application
Cleanse, and tone with Clinique 3 step for oily skin
Apply Clinique Turnaround Concentrate
Apply Jane Iredale Dream Tint
Apply milk of magnesia with fingers immediately after
OR MIX the tinted moisturizer with the milk of magnesia and apply
Apply Jane Iredale pure matte powder and other makeup
Thats it! I used to have oil breakthrough after about an hour and a half after applying my makeup. Now, I might have a tiny little "glow" by afternoon, if that, so I just blot a little and powder my nose. I am shine free for the rest of the day. I just keep looking in the mirror to check because I cant believe my face is not an oil slick!
I realize some have expressed concern with the PH-I have not had any breakouts or adverse reactions with this-I think the oil gives the milk of magnesia something to "adhere" to, & with the layer of toner and moisturizer in addition to that, the milk of magnesia is not in direct contact with my pores. I dont know, just my observation. My skin has never been clearer actually. But if you are not oily, this stuff would probably tear your skin up-not for you!
I love that it is so inexpensive and when I think of all the money I spent for 1/2 oz bottles of mattifiers that didnt work-Wow this is definitely the best. For anyone on the fence, try it! But you do have to practice with the application. If you try on the back of your hand, you will see how much better it applies either mixed with moisturizer or just on top of moisturizer. Just practice with it for awhile.
My makeup used to break up and blush would disappear in a matter of a couple hours. I'm sitting here right now looking in the mirror-I applied makeup at 8:00 AM and it is now 7:30 PM and I only touched up with powder ONCE! My face doesnt really get super shiny later in the day, just this dewy satin look-much better than what I used to have.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by FillerbunnyBuddy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

EDIT: A lovely MUAer has informed me that you can buy the original mom in boots, superdrug and lloyd's pharmacy!* It is probably in the laxative section...
*I haven't had any luck finding it anywhere locally. I'll try some other places and edit if I find it.

I agree that this is probably not safe to put on your face. However, I just can't deny its oil absorbing properties. This stuff is amazing both as a primer and to control oil. I apply it with a cotton ball. Do not use the flavoured ones! In the UK we only have the mint one (according to a supplier) so if you want the original, you have to import it. It costs around £10-£12 off ebay (including P&P) and it takes a while to arrive, but it is seriously worth it. If you don't have oily skin and just want to use this as a primer, dilute it a lot. This stuff is very strong so diluting it too much is better than not enough.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2010 8:10:00 PM More reviews by MakeupByMelissaLyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Just my 2 cents here, speaking on purely a level of cosmetic chemistry. Hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but this is NOT GOOD to put on your face.

The pH of healthy skin should be more acidic (ranging from 4.5-5.5). The pH of isopropyl ALCOHOL (and I've tested all of them: 50%, 70% and 91%, they were all the same) is a 9. The pH of MOM is a 10.5. When you put this on your skin, you're putting something on it that is MORE ALKALINE than rubbing alcohol! You're stripping your skin of the lipids it needs to stay healthy! You might as well just douse your face in rubbing alcohol! For point of reference, straight LYE (which eats through plastic) is 14 and common oven cleaner is around 12, neither of which the average person with common sense would even conceive to put on their face.

MOM is the pH that it is because its meant to dilute and cut through over-active stomach acids. Let's keep it in your stomach ladies!

And by the way, I'm oily too. I don't fight it. I embrace it. My skin is functioning how it was designed to. I don't look at it as being a bad thing.

26 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No