November 22, 2014 | 994 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2013 8:29:00 AM More reviews by KJC1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For starters, I would like to say that I am a 32 year old who has had acne and redness since the teen years.Everything clogs my pores. I have HUGE pores. Even glycerin clogs my pores because it is film forming(my skin NEEDS to breathe or else it freaks immediately). Silcones make me break out in white bumps. Other moisturizers and soaps just give me acne cysts and whiteheads, black heads. In comes Hemp Seed Oil. My first time trying oil cleansing I made a really huge mistake...I involved water. I don't know how everyone else uses OCM but I'll tell you...my skin BROKE OUT so much from it when I involved rinsing with water, or wetting my face before using the oil. . I will also tell you that I am sitting here with uninflamed, perfectly clear, bumpless, blackheadless skin, with NO redness at all. Like matte finish. Yes, I am a man and yes I still want perfect skin like anyone else. NOW I OCM again BUT...I take hemp seed oil to my DRY face and massage it in to small areas. I literally have tiny grains of hardened oil coming out of my pores as I do it. I wipe each section with a dry towel as I go. I continue massaging oil in until I am getting no more grittiness on my hands. Do NOT rinse with water. Just go to bed. Or go on about your day. Hemp seed oil will fully absorb within 10-20 minutes and your skin will not look greasy. I can't believe I have clear skin for the first time in my life. My other tips to those of you like me, who have suffered with bad skin for many years?? DO NOT EVER wash with drying OTC soaps. IF you must wash your face to gently exfoliate and cleanse with something else (I do every couple days) USE GROUND OATMEAL (colloidal oatmeal). Grind some whole (not instant) oatmeal in your coffee grinder and add water to it. It is an amazing cleanser and has moisturizing properties. DO NOT use moisturizer. SInce re-starting OCM with Hemp Seed Oil ...i have clear, wrinkle-less skin with no imperfections. Literally. Just don't use water!!! Let your skin breathe!! Never use regular moisturizers, or cleansers. There is no adjustment period. It just works. You should never get more pimples when you start...only see your present ones disappear!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by jen17881

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got sucked into the OCM hype last year. I've always had decent skin with dry patches here and there, and no more than a zit or two at a time. I was trying to clear those up and tried different things... enter the OCM. I tried it for several weeks, experimenting with multiple different oils, always making sure to remove them very well with a warm washcloth. All I can say is, my skin was never that hydrated... nor did it ever break out so horribly. I got zits in areas like my cheeks and jaw where I had never, ever broken out before. Needless to say, I was horrified. It took my skin months to recover, and I am left with scarring that I had never suffered from until using the OCM.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2013 3:31:00 PM More reviews by sephilli

I have read various sites about the ratio to use, and I decided on a 1:3 (castor oil : EVOO) ratio in the end. After a couple weeks, I noticed a new pimples starting on my cheeks, chin and around my nose. - just little small ones. These gradually turned into smallish whiteheads. I haven't had these many blemishes since I was in my late teens. Will not use again - now I need to figure out what to do with all of this castor oil...

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by VickyJane23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had been reading up on ingredients in cleansers, and come across a lot of negative articles on parabens, SLS etc and I really wanted to try an all natural skin regime. I have oily skin that can break out easily, but it's also sensitive, can get red with certain products etc. so I thought I would give the OCM a go...biggest mistake I could make!. I wanted it to work so badly because it made my skin glow like never before in the first 2/3 weeks, then all of a sudden my face was red with a weird bumpy texture and I broke out in spots all on my cheeks, jawline, chin and forehead (hasn't been that bad since I was 12/13, I'm now 22!). I then tried adding tea tree oil in thinking maybe it wasn't killing enough bacteria, this just made my skin a little more dry but did nothing to help the spots so I gave up. I am now trying to restore my skin back to how it was using La Roche Posay's gel cleanser and effaclar duo cream, I'm praying these will work! In the mean time I'm still in search of a natural cleanser, because I hate the fact the cleanser I'm now using is basically all chemicals, including SLS. If you are not acne prone then I'm sure this method would work wonders for you since it really does make your skin glow, however it seems this either destroys skin or makes it the best it has ever been so it's a massive risk to take, unfortunately the risk didn't pay off for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/5/2013 7:54:00 PM More reviews by GlowBrite

Acne prone skin BEWARE!

UPDATE: My skin still has deep acne along my cheeks and jawline. I've been on epiduo cream for 6 weeks and its gotten worse. Has anyone found a way to clear their skin after trying OCM?!!

I have had acne since middle school and I am now 25. It became so persistent and severe that I went on accutane last Feb. after 6 months of treatment, my skin was virtually flawless. I hadn't had one single blemish or blackhead for 6 months and I was thrilled with the results. I read amazing reviews about the oil cleansing method and since my skin was doing so well, I thought this would kick it up a notch and make it glowy. I used the recommended ratios for sensitive skin with castor and organic sunflower oil and followed directions strictly (steaming with a clean towel several times to remove all excess oil). At first I thoughtI could feel gunk coming out of my pores as I massaged (as most reviews state). A few days in, my skin became dry and pink but I figured I was just adjusting. I attempted this for shy of 2 weeks and honestly only gave up because it was time consuming and I wasn't terribly impressed. 1-2 weeks later is when trouble arised. My entire forehead turned into tiny scaley bumps. There was not one clear pore on my forehead and it almost felt like someone had plastered it because the bumps were all touching. I then began getting deeper nudules under the skin all over my cheeks and chin and even to the jaw line. I started raiding my old acne creams and face washes, using clay masks, apple cider vinegar, benzoyl peroxide, you name it. I was able to get rid of the tiny forhead bumps with lots of gentle exfoliating (Jane Iredale Magic Mitt!). Now I'm still fighting larger cysts on my cheeks. To have finally achieved clear skin after a long journey with accutane, I was crushed to see it all taken away with a few rounds of the OCM. At this point I had tried clearing it on my own for over a month. Devastated, I went back to my derm. and confessed that I clogged every single pore on my face by washing it with oil. She looked at me like an idiot, referenced the commercial "don't believe everything you hear on the internet ,and gave me tons of samples of Epiduo. This is a combination of benzoyl peroxide and adapalene. Basically the adapalene unclogs pores and exfoliates while the BZ kills bacteria. I have been applying this nightly for about 2 weeks now. Unfortunately my skin is getting worse (which is normal). This is all of the buried oil being purged. I am praying that this will clear my skin again for good but they say it can take 12 weeks. Otherwise I may need another round of accutane. Long story short this is the WORST thing I have EVER done to my skin. I should have known by the name alone. Please be extremely careful with this and down right avoid it if you've finally achieved clear skin with accutane. Trust me it is horrible to have the small time with clear skin taken away :(

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 12:31:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

UPDATE: I truly believe the OCM has drastically improved the clarity/texture of my skin. I previously had large, congested pores and blackheads on my nose/cheeks and chin. After using the OCM for about 3 months now, I no longer have large pores on my cheeks, my blackheads are almost non-existant and my oil production has decreased dramatically. Thank you OCM!!!

I used to think that every liquid foundation broke me out because of the actual foundation, never really paying attention to the method I was using to remove it. Although I am reactive to certain foundation ingredients, after I learned to remove it properly, I have have had so few reactions to liquid foundation.

I use a recipe of 1 part EVOO to 3 parts Castor oil with a splash of jojoba and almond oil. My skintype is combo/oily and this formulation has never broke me out.

Regardless of whether I use liquid or MMU I will use this as a m/u remover first as it does an amazing job at getting all of my mascara off and gently, with very minimal rubbing required. I use a wet washcloth to remove the oil from my face and then follow up with my regular daily cleanser to remove the oily residue.

I can't ever see myself using another cleanser, especially when this one is so easy to DIY at home. I'm concerned about clean ingredients, and while there are some good oil cleansers on the market, why pay more $ for those when you can make it yourself and know every ingredient in it?

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2013 6:13:00 AM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I must confess, I couldn´t even do this method for a week, because soon it was clear, that my skin was going to be ruined, when I continued the OCM.
Reading about the OCM, I so wanted this to work for my skin.
FYI: My skin is dehydrated, sensitive, acne-prone, combo skin. I suffer from blackheads and my skin keratinizes too much, hence the congested pores and blackheads. I don´t have acne with large pimples or cystic acne, just hormonal breakouts and a general tendency to congestrd pores.
I´ve got huge problems with cleansing my skin, because even the mildest cleansers can wreck my skin and make it dry to the point, when my skin peels and feels like it´s cracking. Wearing sunscreen with spf 50 every day makes it important to cleanse my skin.
I tried the method only with oils, that were not supposed to be comedogenic. Castor oil was new to me, but I thought it safe.
I did the classical method, putting a mixture of 1/4 castor oil and 3/4 olive oil together and massaged it on my face. Then rinse with warm or hot water, maybe use a washcloth and you´re done.
This ruined my skin, but not by breaking out. My skin - and I had to find this out the hard way by using this method- refuses warm or hot water and washcloths or muslin cloths for cleansing. It gets so stressed, dry, flaking and red, you wouldn´t believe me.
I couldn´t believe it either as the water I used was not steaming hot or so and I used special organic muslin cloths.
I change the oils, using rosehip oil, which my skin likes, but no success either way.
I had to stop after several days or I would habe been able to peel my skin from my face in large flakes. My skin hurt and was a mess. I was lucky that my skin recovered again and I had no longterm effects on my skin from this. Reading other reviews, some people had to deal with scarring form breakouts or permanent damage of the skin.
Needless to say, that I recommend to be careful with this method if your skin is sensitive.
I certainly won´t try this again and although it worked wonders for some people, others may suffer from it.
Be aware of this facts.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2013 8:27:00 PM More reviews by roqnroch

I was so excited to try the OCM after all the rave reviews I read online. Huge mistake! The first week was great. My skin looked and felt good . . . GREAT as a matter of fact. The second week didn't go as well as I started getting hard white blemishes all around my chin. Everything I read said that there is a period where your skin will need to adjust and that I should stick with it. So I did for about 3 months, but it just kept getting worse and worse.

Soon the white spots turned into huge red pimples that I couldn't get rid of. After 3 months I couldn't take anymore and stopped using it, but my skin has never been the same since. The only thing that has helped at all is Olay Blemish Control with Salicylic Acid Acne Cleanser. If I miss one night of washing my face, I wake up with new blemishes. Still now 5 months later, my skin is still not great and I doubt it ever will be.

So while this method may work for some, it does not work for everyone. Use with caution.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 9:58:00 AM More reviews by beautifulletdown15

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oil cleansing reviews range wildly- anything from “This destroyed my skin” to “this made my skin perfect and like a baby’s bottom.” If you try this method after reading a number of reviews, you’ll likely be terrified. Luckily, I am lazy; I basically read two glowing reviews and then immediately tried it. My skin was so awful at the time anyway that I had nothing to lose.

For the first couple of weeks I used this nightly with about 60% grapeseed oil and 40% castor oil. I’d massage for five to ten minutes or so, wipe it off with a warm cloth and tone afterwards with witch hazel (I was terrified of leaving any oil on my face and causing breakouts).After about a week my face started purging. There are a lot of mixed messages on how to deal with this and on whether or not your face even should purge. My forehead was covered in tiny bumps, my cheeks were breaking out and getting cysts along my jawline. I’m not a doctor, but I took this as a sign to reduce and then totally drop the castor oil. I’ve since changed to using a mix of grapeseed oil, apricot kernel oil and a couple drops of tea tree oil and no toner. In the mornings I’ll splash my face with water.

Make sure the oil you're using is non-comedogenic, and be ready to radically adjust/completely eliminate castor oil. It's a really harsh, deep cleansing product and frankly I feel like it's kind of unnecessary if you're oil cleansing every day...It's not like I dip my face in bacon grease and poop each morning, just some light makeup.

For any girls with acne prone skin- keep in mind that oil cleansing can balance your skin but it doesn’t treat active acne. I saw the most improvement when I added Bedtime for Breakouts to this routine every night. I’m not sure if that defeats the purpose or not, all I know is that my skin is better than it’s ever been. For the first time since I was 12 I can leave the house without makeup on. Good luck ladies!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by firekelpie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried... I really did. I read so many good things about using oils to clean your face, my skin is becoming less oily (compared to how it used to be in my teens/early twenties, so I wasn't as icked out as I would have been a few years ago at the idea of smearing oil on my face. Also, I was broke and the idea of buying a bottle of castor oil for a dollar sounded way better than spending $50+ to get some of the products that I used to use.

I had no few days of lovely, glowy skin. No, it's just been awful. When I started this method, I was breaking out quite a bit (probably stress related)... but now?? Holy crap... I have NEVER broken out this badly. And I stopped using my olive oil/castor oil mix WEEKS ago. I hope I can get my skin cleared up... I just spent about sixty bucks on a bunch of things, hopefully SOMETHING will work :( I mean it, this is really really bad.

If you're thinking of trying this, I would say start out with Burts Bees orange essence cleaner... It's in a gel-type formula, smells like an orange grove, and (for me at least) did some of the things people say the ocm does... I just couldn't use it every single day. But if you can, then you just *may* be someone who could do this... But I'd have a back up plan, just in case.