April 18, 2014 | 1972 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method OCM

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't know if this has changed my life, but it has certainly changed my skin for the better. I've been doing OCM for over 2 years now & have noticed a substantial change in clogged pores, overall luminosity, less oil breakthrough during the day etc.

My general oils are castor, jojoba and tea tree which I modify depending on what my skin needs - more castor in the summertime, less in the fall & winter (drop the tea tree full stop). I may try to add a more moisturizing component this year as my skin is getting a bit flakey from retinol. At any rate, it gets everything off - waterproof SS, foundations, waterproof mascaras.... Its no wonder my skincare products work so much better now.

I make time a few times a week to spend at least 20 min (generally in front of TV) to really rub & massage my face so that EVERYTHING comes out. Then I use a very hot cloth to remove the oil, rinse with cool water & wash with whatever cleanser I have on hand.

I always notice the biggest change when I stop doing something - as happened earlier in the year when I was working from Italy. 2 weeks into cleaning with non-oil cleansers was enough to send me running to Sephora to buy their version of a cleansing oil. The change was immediate (and gratifying to feel all of those hard clogs coming out.) I now will not travel without an oil (unless its for an overnight trip).

I never had a purge or a break out from OCM, maybe I am just lucky or the quality of the oils suits my skin, I have no idea. But its definitely worth a try if you're considering it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2012 2:33:00 AM More reviews by jenlovesthewestcoast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So I've been on OCM for 4 days now(early to post, I know, but i'll update if things take a turn for the worse) .. I have combination skin, acne prone, and my skin gets flaky and dehydrated easily. I've been using 3/4 jojoba oil, 1-2 drops tea tree oil and 1-3 drops avocado oil for my oil mixture and It is really great. I felt castor oil would be too harsh since my skin is combination and sensitive, so I opted 1) Jojoba oil, for cleansing, 2) tea tree for acne and minimizing pores, and 3) avocado oil for moisturizing. My skin looks radiant and smooth except for my chin(my problem area), things are being pushed out so its good. I can get away without wearing make up for the first time which is fantastic feeling. My oil combination seems to be soothing for the skin but has blemish fighting properties especially from the tea tree oil. I use it at night with two steams and my skin looks and feels so nice after. On many reviews I read, people were using castor oil and having harsh reactions so I didnt want to use it in the beginning and I don't even need it. Jojoba is great on its own, and coupled with tea tree and avocado oil it seems to have the right balance for my combination skin!!!

I definitely recommend trying jojoba oil if you have acne prone and/or combination/sensitive skin, as it cleanses really well and leaves skin supple and smooth. From reviews, I think starting off with an oil and working castor oil in (in quantities relating to your skin type)might be good, but see how just one works for your skin before adding castor oil as it is harsh and might put you off the entire OCM if you have a bad result. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2012 8:54:00 PM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I use even parts raw honey and extra virgin olive oil. About 1 teaspoon of each. Pop it into a bowl or cup, mix, pop that into the microwave for 20 secs just to warm it up a bit. The most important thing to note with the OCM is that you MUST wash the oil off very thoroughly or it will clog your pores and cause break outs. Apply an even layer to your face, massage for 10-20 minutes, rinse with warm water. Jump in the shower to make sure it's all gone - which is why it's best to do this at night. Honey is antiseptic so it acts like hydrogen peroxide to clean your skin very gently - honey has been used on wounds and burns for thousands of years in order to prevent festering and infection. Olive oil is very similar to sebum, the oil that our skin naturally produces. The olive oil dissolves the sebum build up and helps soften and moisturise skin while the honey gently removes dirt. The olive oil is also a miracle for removing even water-proof makeup. EXCELLENT for sensitive skin, just don't scrub when trying to remove it. Instead let warm water and steam remove it.

My personal experience:
I've had acne ALL MY LIFE. When I was a little girl I had tiny red bumps and whiteheads despite bathing every day. When I hit puberty it got really wild and I have had cystic acne almost every day since puberty first hit. Tried Proactiv, tried all these different treatments and nothing worked. Found the OCM and I'm loving it so far. I had several new cystic pimples from trying a new skincare line known as Simple. ("with skin loving ingredients") I've been using the OCM once a day for about 4 days now and the cystic acne is almost gone. I've already noticed that older scars are starting to fade. Using this with my Egyptian Magic is really magic!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by allenleliza9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Using the OCM has changed my life!! I have had anywhere from bad to so-so skin for years now (17-24) and I really thought it was just something I would have to deal with forever. About 2 years ago I tried the OCM for the first time to no avail...and by no avail I mean a terrible break out that took over 2 months to heal. Then I went off the pill and things really got bad, however I knew I wanted to stick it out bc i was just done with hormones. I healed myself cleansing with oats and forcing myself not to wear any makeup which was pretty rough bc you want it most when your skin is bad. Anyway, that was going well and things were starting to clear but I was unhappy with what a mess that was. About 4 months ago I decided to give the OCM another go and I am so glad that I did. As many have been saying, the trick is finding the ratio that works for you. My current recipe that I LOVE right now is one that someone a few reviews down doesn't like, so it all depends on you! Currently I am using 1/3 jojoba, 1/3 castor, and 1/3 sweet almond. I also add a bit of lavender essential oil. I put it in an old glass Burts Bees pump bottle and use 3 pumps before I get into the shower. I let it steam while I am doing my routine and then wash it off at the end. I follow with an ACV, witch hazel, h20 toner and then massage in a few drops of grapeseed oil as a moisturizer. My skin is the best it has ever been and has been for months now. Its glowey and fresh looking and all my scars are fading. Of course I get 1 or 2 spots that time of month, but they go away so fast. I also do raw honey masks 1-3 times a week. Every once in a while I wash with Dr. Bronners baby when I am really lazy or a little tipsy after a night out just because its easier, and it never causes issues, but I go right back to the OCM the next day. This is the best thing ever and I will never go back. My boyfriend was making fun of me the other day bc I was doing a little song and dance in the bathroom about how happy I was with my skin finally :) Ditch the chemicals ladies. It may take a little experimenting, but once you find your mix, you will love the OCM forever!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/12/2012 5:14:00 PM More reviews by geekinpink

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried the OCM about 5 years ago with 50/50 castor oil and EVOO. It worked well but I was a student and it was a hassle when you're sharing a bathroom. My skin breaks out to almost everything. I've almost found the right balance of products but wanted to try OCM again since I'm starting to see wrinkles on my face. After reading about oils for acne prone skin, I went with a mix of 50/50 castor oil and jojoba. I was recovering from 2 bad cysts from trying a new powder. I stuck with the OCM for a week hoping that my skin was purging but I continued to get severe, deep and painful cysts. I did try adding more jojoba to the mix but it made no difference. After reading warnings from others, I've decided to give up. As soon as I stopped the OCM, the cysts stopped appearing. My routine had been: OCM in the evening followed by a nice hot wash cloth a few times on my face to steam the oil off. It felt lovely. IN the morning I washed with my Olay brush and my usual creamy baby wash as a face wash. I'll admit that the OCM helped remove those gritty plugs that some people talk about. I wish it worked for me as its natural and has such potential.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2012 4:23:00 PM More reviews by geideja

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

OCM is trial and error - I tried different oils and none of them worked. Castor oil caused clogged pores and rash. Grapeseed oil caused rash. Olive oil, almond oil, hemp seed oil and sunflower seed oil are very moisturizing but unfortunately, they broke me out.

When I first did OCM, my friend told me that purging is normal and it will go away in a few weeks but it didn't! If you're breaking out then you ARE breaking out! There's no such as purging except AHA, BHA and retinoids.

---

[edit: (5/30/2013)] I tried OCM again but it still didn't work out. I recently discovered my own cleansing balm (inspired by Galen's original cold cream) with unrefined beeswax, organic jojoba oil and manuka honey. I've been using it for a month and there is no issue with clogged pores, rash or breakouts. I know it's not OCM but this is definitely the one for my skin.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2012 12:32:00 AM More reviews by wws1980

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Yikes. Be very, very careful when deciding to try the OCM to cleanse your face. I had high hopes for this. My current method of Clarisonic and Black Soap had me almost clear but I still had one or two hormonal acne breakouts around my period. They take about two weeks to clear so I decided to try the OCM to see if I could clear it out faster and maybe even prevent them. Boy was this a bad decision! On my third day of trying the OCM (castor oil and sunflower oil), I started breaking out in tiny whiteheads on my jawline, where I normally breakout. Thinking it was part of the purging process, I proceeded for another week and it consistently got worse and worse until my entire lower cheek to jawline on both sides of my face were covered in cystic acne. I stopped OCM immediately and went to my dermatologist thinking it might be a horrible allergic reaction or something - she diagnosed me with oil folliculitis and possible staph. I' was put on a regimen of antibiotics, Hibiclens cleanser, topical antibiotics, and a steroid cream. The breakout continued for another three weeks, just getting worse and worse. Every morning I would wake up and there would be two or three new zits. It was horrible and even makeup couldn't cover the breakout. Random strangers commented on my skin which didn't help. My dermatologist did a series of AHA peels which seems to have finally curbed the onslaught of new acne, although the in-between stage of peeling + acne just added to my misery. My dermatologist has also put me on Retin A Micro to prevent future acne but I've been hesitant to start it in earnest since I've heard it also comes with a purging period.

I know the OCM works miracles for many, but sadly I wasn't one of them.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by AnatomicallyCorrect

Background: I work in the natural foods industry- used everything from Hauschka cleansing milk to Weleda to Mychelle. It's hard to sell skin care when your skin sucks. I was put on the pill at 14- switched to Depo for a few years and came off it. Had perfect skin the whole time and woke up to the harsh reality of having sucky skin when I came off Depo.

Basically- my skin puked out all the crap it had repressed from being on hormone treatments for 10 years (surprise! my uterus is tipped which is why I had crippling cramps in the first place). It was gross.

I now run acneic, combination and sensitive. How's that for a triple threat?

So one of my friends asked me if I tried it. I happened to have castor oil at home (hematoma = cold packs).

I did about a 50/50 of castor to olive oil. I loved massaging it in and steaming it off. It felt amazing, my face wasn't tight or irritated. I cleared up in about 2 weeks- even had my friend who comes by once a month and still nothing.

So I, like a good scientist, decided I would go BACK to using my MOD skin foaming cleanser that worked okay.

Nope. Zits. On my jaw, on my forehead. What the hell. Back to oil cleansing I went and things started to calm down.

Sorry I cheated on you oil cleansing. I will be a better lover from now on.

I keep using Weleda's skin food as a facial moisturizer. My face just loves it and it's cheap too!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried this method of cleaning a few days ago and I wish I never did. I used Olive Oil and I must admit that the first night I tried it, my skin felt pretty good. In the morning, it looked radiant and not so clogged. I was really happy with the results. After a couple days, my skin changed. Just like other reviewers here, my skin reacted to the oil in such a negative way. I started developing whiteheads on places that I usually never break out, such as the jawline, lower cheeks and even near my neck. It was quite odd. On top of the breakouts, my face became SUPER-DUPER oily and I am normally combination/dry. I looked absolutely gross! I even cleansed with another cleanser after using the olive oil just to make sure that all the oil was washed away. Hence, OCM has really changed the tone and the texture of my skin in the worse ways possible. I don't want to discourage OCM to everyone because I believe that it can work for many. But for those with sensitive and acne-prone skin, I would definitely use caution. If I could go back in time, I wish I never attempted this method. Even after stopping OCM, my skin is still in bad shape and in its recovering phase. The oiliness is still there and my skin is left bumpy and horrid. Again, proceed with caution. I don't really believe in the purging process, therefore, if you begin to see and feel bumps on your face that you never had, I would stop using OCM pronto. It's not worth it in the long run. And for those who have success, consider yourselves lucky.
UPDATE: 2 Months later, I am still suffering from dreadful whiteheads and clogged pores on jawline and sides of my chin. UGH! Really wish I hadn't try OCM.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2012 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Jiyapiya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

No understatement, the OCM changed my life.
My skin was just...normal. It's sensitive and uneven, but no breakouts.

Trying the OCM, learning what worked for me, and now becoming a pro at it, has opened me up to a completely different view of skincare.

For people who break out, use less castor oil.

Use olive for moisturizing, coconut for perfect skin.

I've actually gotten to the point where I feel as if foundation takes away the glow of my natural skin! Good luck!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No