September 30, 2014 | 1047 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Allalla

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried this product on whim and was really pleasantly surprised, and actually VERY IMPRESSED. Firstly, I have very sensitive, dry skin. Most products that I use are either too harsh, drying, or irritate my skin. I find that this product doesn't clog pores, is not drying and easily removes all makeup.
When I first tried it, I was a bit sceptical of the texture, but once you add water to it and massage it into the skin, it easily washes away any traces of anything!
When applying, the texture feels quite greasy, but it doesn't leave any residue. I have had no breakouts from this product (and I usually do from most products). In fact, my skin has been looking pretty clear since I started using this. I am an avid oil cleanser user, and have been using mac oil cleanser for years, but this is the first product that I will consider substituting my usual cleanser with.
The only issue I have is the packaging. Whilst for travel it is good on one hand, because it won't leak, on the other, the tub is just huge & heavy when packing. I wish they could come up with a tube of this tub for travel or something. A tube would also prevent other people's fingers getting into the product.
Lastly, I have read that a lot of users double-cleanse after using this product, but I am not sure why, as it doesn't leave any residue and cleans skin perfectly. I personally, am not a fan of over-cleansing, so I only use this as a 1-step and don't feel the need to clean my skin afterward with any other product. I just pop on some moisturiser or some oil after I cleanse and I'm good to go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Kentauride

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The first time I tried this stuff it kinda squigged me out. It seems like you are washing your face with Crisco. I was thinking, ugh, how will I ever get this greasy stuff off my face? Then I splashed water on it and it magically turned into a light foam and just rinsed away, no residue! It doesn't sting my eyes. It takes off everything - long wear foundation, waterproof eyeliner, you name it! I'm on my second tub and will definitely buy it again. My only complaint is packaging related - I think it ought to have a seal over the top, under the lid. Because when I buy it at Sephora I have to open every jar and examine it the top surface to find one that other people haven't used as a tester.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:47:00 AM More reviews by sy791chloe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Have been using this religiously for the last 4 years.
Amazing.
- travel friendly as there is no chance of it leaking
- gets 200% of your makeup off.

I strayed into Bioderma, Olay, Clarins cleansers but always came back to this.
If it weren't for the $50+ it retails for in New Zealand, I would give it six lippies!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by msfrost

The most efficient makeup remover I've tried. I usually use a makeup remover wipe, then a cotton pad with eye makeup remover, and then a cleanser all over my face, and sometimes with the lesser cleansers, I'd still find some makeup residue on my face when applying toner. It's too much! And I've tried ALL sorts of cleansers, from low to high end (I tried the Clinique gel one, Garnier milks and gels, Olay, Basis -but ended up drying my skin and hard to get a hold of-, Benefit foaming cleanser, Chanel milk, Dove, Lancome makeup removers, Cetaphil...)

Enter Clinique's balm. It seemed very heavy at first, I mean, it looks like a dense petroleum body butter :s I'm used to cleansing milks or just something liquid. But once you massage it on your face, it sort of melts and becomes more liquidy. It takes off EVERYTHING. So good. (I did spend a couple of minutes gently massaging) It washes off surprisingly easily with lukewarm water. I don't feel any filmy residue, or any unusual dryness/oiliness. It has no perceivable scent. It's white in the pot, clear on your face.

I apply this to dry skin (no makeup remover wipe needed *yay*), massage until I can see all the makeup loose, then rinse. Pat dry, apply toner, eye cream, moisturizer, you know the rest. Ta-da! Fresh skin. Clean face.

I'm very pleased and will repurchase :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by loveoutdoors

I decided to try this based on the rec of another poster who has skin very similar to mine and boy am I glad I gave it a go. I don't use much makeup but I do use physical ss which can be problematic when it comes to cleansing it all off. TTDOB removes every last trace without causing any problems for my dry/sensitive/mature/mild rosacea skin. I usually put a small amount in the palm of my hand, press hands together and it emulsifies very nicely. Then I apply to my face and rub gently for a minute or so. At first I used a soft cotton cloth after rinsing with water as I was somewhat afraid it might clog the sides of my nose as heavy products can do at times. After several weeks I realized all I really need to do is rinse well as I have had no clogging at all from this product. I use it in the evenings to remove ss and am really pleased with the results.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by LuHu82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this balm. I bought it as a replacement for Emma Hardie's Moringa Cleanse & Sculpt which I didn't rebuy because I hate the crappy packaging of EH which disintegrates before the pot is halfway empty, for 35 that is outrageous.

The Clinique balm is significantly less costly at 22 ish for 125g (EH contains 100g for 35 ish). TTDO does a much better job of removing waterproof eye make up, in my experience, than EH. The texture isn't as creamy, silky and luxuriously spa like but it is so effective and my skin adores it, no reactions (my skin was slightly reactive to the highly fragranced EH during hormonal peak times). it also doesn't leave any filmy residue on the skin after cleansing (I use the hot cloth method with muslin).

It may look a bit basic in the pot, unfragranced, white, greasy, lardy looking, it doesn't appear all that glamorous but it is truly fabulous. If you have sensitive, reactive skin and are on the lookout for a reasonably priced, EFFECTIVE, attractively packaged cleansing balm, please give it a go. Pick it up at Duty Free and it's about 16!! Total bargain.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 5:54:00 PM More reviews by marmaladecat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this on recommendations from others on MUA and I'm really pleased with it. I think I have got my perfect cleanser :) Thank you to those who suggested I try it!

I was struggling to find a good cleanser that wouldn't break me out or dry my skin out (so many cleansers did one, the other or both!) I've been using this for a couple of months now and it's an all-round winner.

'Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm' is fragrance-free and has a soft, solid texture, similar to that of Vaseline. I massage some of the balm onto my dry face and neck, then rinse off with cotton pads and warm water. The balm turns into a liquid oil when massaged onto the skin and then a milky liquid when rinsed off.

This product removes makeup/sunscreen really easily and thoroughly and rinses off completely, so no need to follow up with a separate cleanser. I've had no sensitivity issues or extra breakouts from this (I often get a couple of spots anyway.) My skin doesn't feel dried out either, just soft and comfortable after use.

I really like the tub packaging; it's sturdy and because the balm is solid initially there's no risk of any leakage. I wash my hands before I scoop it out, so I don't have an issue with it being unhygienic.

This balm is expensive (£20.50 in the UK), but I can see it's going to last me a good few months as you don't need a massive amount.

Would I re-purchase? Absolutely! :)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by LoveMakeUpEver2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The main reason I've bought this cleansing balm to try was, I LOVE oil cleansers, but i HATED when pumped into my palm, and when I try to put them on my face, sometimes oil drips down my wrist, which is so annoying for me. This balm is just like any oil cleansers out there, but in balm form. I scrap little layer with my clean finger and dot some balms to T part of my face. Then i rubbed them and they turn into oil without drippin mess. I save my eye area to last because I like to see myself in the mirror to see if I get all parts of my faces. When my face is cleansed, both of my hands full of melted balm-oil, I close my eyes and work my eyes then rinse them off :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2013 4:22:00 PM More reviews by tiara85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm obsessed with this cleansing balm!

I bought it two months ago and am already half way through. Not bad for other products but this should last many months cause a little goes a long way... It's a balm that turns to an oil, melts away even stubborn eye make up with ease.

Kind of feels like a facial too, cause you can get a good massage going on with it. Rinses off with water, but I like to use a warm flannel or muslin cloth. Or when I've had a merry night a keep it buy my bed and use wipes! Bad I know, but at least I'm taking off me makeup.... :)

5/5! Love this balm.

I want to try the darphin one next, but it's much more expensive... we'll see!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 7:56:00 AM More reviews by Plinko

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I usually use my own oil concoction to remove makeup and then use Cerave Hydrating cleanser to remove residue. This combination has worked well for years, and my skin is in great condition. Now in my late thirties, I've expanded my skincare routine and use toner and a nightly exfoliator as well. It's a lot of steps, and sometimes at the end of the day I just want to crawl into bed and forget the whole thing.

I recently spent several days at a friends house and forgot my face kit. She share her Clinique Take the Day of Balm with me, and after my stay I can say that I'm hooked. It is the only cleanser I've ever used that quickly removes all traces of makeup without drying my face up like the Mojave or leaving behind a greasy residue. It leaves my skin clean and soft and radiant. My sensitive skin had absolutely no reaction to it. Yesterday I picked up my own tub and am pleased that I have cut at least one step out of my routine as this does remove makeup and cleanse all at once.

The texture is thick, but it spreads easily and becomes oil-like on the skin. Once you rinse with water, however, it is rinsed clean unlike most oils I have tried. Some people won't like the jar packaging, but I don't think the texture would work in any other medium. Besides, if you wash your hands and put the lid on immediately, the jar packaging shouldn't be a problem.

This is a fantastic product and one that I don't see myself ever straying from.