September 1, 2014 | 1977 users online

Moisturizers - Sweet Almond Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 2:46:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been testing various carrier oils in my beauty regime for the past two years and this is the tenth different oil I have tried. Having been around the block with oils, so to speak, I know how to use them- a little goes a long way. I have found almond oil pleasant (like most oils) but not nearly moisturizing enough for my dehydrated dry skin. Didn't give me the glow I get with my other favorite oils.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2010 7:17:00 AM More reviews by yum_yum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great body moisturiser for extra dry skin. Does not sink in as fast as jojoba oil, but moisturisation is deeper and I use a lot less. Best on my legs after shaving (followed by petroleum jelly) because my skin gets sore and sensitive and needs the extra protection. Leaves my skin really smooth. I wouldn't use this on my face, except maybe to remove makeup, and then I'd follow with a facial wash to remove oily residue. A bargain online and great for dry, sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 7:58:00 AM More reviews by kerish345

Moisturizer addict here!! I am an avid user of Sweet Almond Oil.
I am somewhat crazy abt my feet,recently started taking care of my hand as well. I bought a bottle of Sweet almond oil in my grocery store after watching a Dr Oz show. The show was about former models and their beauty regime that kept them looking 10 years younger than actual age. Bevelry Johnson stated that she uses almond oil on her skin....so I was on it!!
My main reason for teh purchase was to correct the damages done to my hands, they looked like hands of a 45 yr old!!
I applied almond oil liberally and used a moisturizing glove nightly.I was pleasantly suprised that withing 3 days my hands where looking smooth and even toned.I also used some on my feet as well..amazing resul
I store the unused portion in the refridgerator.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

UPDATED REVIEW: As experienced by another user, this oil caused some hair loss. Once I stopped using it in my shampoo/conditioner, my fallout was greatly reduced after just one day of removing it from my routine. I have used it on my body and found it's not as moisturizing as I'd like. Reduced my rating from a 5 to a 3 for the hair loss and it not being hydrating enough on my body, as well as breaking me out (face and body).

About the Product:
Sweet almond oil is a lightweight oil, often used in aromatherapy massage due to its texture and consistency, good absorption rate and non-greasy residue on the skin. While light, it is supposed to be a great oil for moisture loss, making it a great choice for dry skin as well as dehydrated skin. To be noted: It does not absorb quickly, so it is more suitable to nightly use on the body. Filled with many vitamins and good fats. Definitely one of the more versatile vegetable oils out there!

Uses:
Hair - Not for me. While it did leave my hair feeling soft, it also caused hair loss! I'd recommend using it as a pre-shampoo oil treatment or combined with shampoo to help prevent dryness.

Moisturizer - Not hydrating enough on my body unless used with other products. I've used it (generously) on my feet and was left with dry skin. On my face, it broke me out quite a bit, not just in pustules but in various forms of breakouts. Recommend it to be used on wet skin.

Makeup remover - Not for me. Oils leave my eyes too blurry, and this one did cause some irritation. Use as a normal remover.

Packaging:
All that I have seen have come in plain plastic bottles. Some come in clear plastic, others, like NOW Foods brand, come in dark bottles. I recommend looking for a brand that sells theirs in a dark bottle, otherwise switch it out into a different dark (preferably glass) bottle. Has a cap that is pretty ineffective for cosmetic use, as it's difficult to really ensure you are dispensing the amount that you want.

Smell:
Honestly, I don't really notice that much of a smell with this oil. I guess it is on the nutty side, but it's not all that strong. I adore this fact, as it does not leave my hair smelling odd, nor does it change the scent of my conditioner. When I do notice the scent, it is quite pleasant.

Consistency:
While it is pretty light, and not overly greasy, it does look quite oily on the skin and does take a while to absorb. Has a clear colour, somewhat runny. In my hair, it leaves a slight residue on the hair shaft, but it seems as though most gets absorbed. Does not weigh my hair down, either.

Ease of Use:
Because of the poor packaging, it can be a pain to use, especially because you can get oil on the cap itself. I found that shaking the bottle around before use made it run out much faster, so unless you want to use a large amount, simply gently squeeze it. I'd recommend switching to a dropper bottle if you can! Because it is clear, it may be difficult to work with in terms of visually, but I don't really have many issues with this. It is quite smooth, so if used on the face, it's very easy to gently massage it onto the skin with large amounts without feeling any tugging or pulling.

Bang for your Buck:
While prices may vary, I paid about $5.00CAD for 4oz. The 16oz bottle from the same brand costs about $15.00CAD, which is just slightly cheaper than the 4oz bottle of jojoba oil. Great price for a very versatile oil, and definitely one that should be checked out simply due to being so wonderfully priced! It does expire within a year after purchase, so invest in the smallest bottles first.

Final Consensus:
A trickier oil due to its possible negative effects. Recommended for hair and body use as it is quite cheap, and seems to work well for many people. If used for hair care, I'd recommend avoiding it on the scalp area.
- Pros: Very cheap, smooth, leaves hair feeling very soft and hydrated, feels nice on the skin without looking overly oily or greasy, no scent.
- Cons: Breaks me out, caused hair fallout, not hydrating enough on my body, poor packaging, irritating to the eyes.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 1/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

24 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2010 1:31:00 PM More reviews by RevengaSweet

It cost me 9 dollars for a big, 16 oz. bottle. It makes my skin look beautiful! Buy this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 5:24:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

wow! this worked very well in removing my eye makeup...didnt sting...didnt feel greasy & washed off easily with water...just soak a cotton ball and swipe...i took off my contacts prior to using this tho....very cheap and effective!!! im also using this as a moisturizer right after a shower. Soaks in well & does not feel oily on my skin at all

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2010 8:42:00 PM More reviews by jrwright

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Have put this in baths, and used as a moisturizer for body. Great for massages, leaves skin so smooth, not greasy, and takes only a few minutes to soak in. Very pleased. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2010 5:36:00 PM More reviews by vnessuh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I hadn't even heard of Almond Oil until a couple of years ago. I began using it to take off my eye makeup and was beyond wowed. I figured it would work as an eye moisturizer as well as any other cream because of the inherent properties of oil. Almost initially, I noticed the dark circles under my eyes and the natural "eye shadow" I have just faded. I looked more awake and refreshed every morning. A MIRACLE! I began using it over my entire face considering what it had done to my eyes and I'm so glad I did.
I have incredibly dry skin. I live in Miami, so our climate is relatively mild and humid enough so normal skin won't really flake and whatnot. When I wear makeup my flaky patches were accentuated before using Almond Oil.
Am happy to report that after years of use, my eyes are still bright (though when I don't use this, they begin darkening up again and I have to resume) and my skin is hydrated. I would advise EVERYONE buy this at the very least to remove your eye makeup. You won't break out on your eye skin. It reduces crow's feet or the beginnings of crow's feet and makes you look YEARS younger.
If you have dry skin, this is amazing for the face, it makes you GLOW. I literally wake up every morning looking like I have makeup on: my skin is pale yet luminescent, my cheeks are rosy, and the moisture promotes your lashes not to break so they appear fuller as well. It's not genetics, it's this oil, I'm telling you. If you have reservations, DO IT. It works, you have nothing to lose but a few bucks. Cheaper and BETTER than any of the La Mer creams. I stand by that statement. It's a millennia old beauty staple for a reason, kids...

52 out of 53 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2010 3:04:00 AM More reviews by Donnz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I cannot rave about this oil enough! I have been experimenting with natural plant based oils for over a year starting with evoo (smells) then avocado oil, better but still smells! Finally I have found sweet almond oil which is a lighter, extraordinarily moisturising oil with da da da da da da dummmmm...no smell!

I have used it in both my daughter's frizzy dry hair and my own as a de frizzing serum and after experimentation it works best after you have washed your hair and it is almost dry and all the frizzies are on end, then you take miniscule amounts in your palm and sweep them gently over the surface of the hair - voila, NO frizzies and even better if you don't wash your hair every day - I sure don't, your hair doesn't smell like a fish and chip shop!

I have been putting it into my daughters bath and I love how beautiful and soft their skin is afterwards. I use it on my face as a night treatment after cleansing - this is not a great oil to remove sunscreen and mascara as it is just not heavy weight enough - evoo or avocado oil work much better in this one only department! However if I put it on my face and neck almost instantly you can see how clear your skin becomes and the wrinkles on your decollete start to vanish! Miracle!

I have added a generous amount to my vaselline cocoa butter lotion and that has turned it into a perfect lotion for not only summer but now winter as it didn't really have enough ompf to it but now - love it!

I do want to try out Trilogy's q10 serum to see if that works better than just straight sweet almond oil as a day and night serum - I already know it absobs a lot faster - SAO does take a long time to sink in but so far - loving the results if you have the time!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2010 4:06:00 AM More reviews by tamara90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

DRY SKIN:
i have been struggling with dry hands (esp knuckles) all winter. it's horrible, theyre as rough as sandpaper and they bleed too. i have tried soo many hand lotions the best one i found (til now) was vaseline clinical therapy. worked like a charm so i was suprised to find something that worked even better. Sweet almond oil softened my skin after a day of frequent application. highlyy recommended for dry skin.

FACE:
unfortunately it didnt work fr my face or hair. my skin is combination and acne prone. a pimple formed on my cheek minutes after i applied it and then i woke up to 2 new pimples.. its a shame cause after reading all the reviews i was so excited to try it out and i thought id have amazing results in my complexion, softness of hair and undereye darkness.

HAIR:
this made my hair fall out :(
i dipped my fingers in the oil and massaged my scalp and kept it in over night. I normally lose some hair when i shower but i never experienced anything like this. i lost A LOT of hair.

OVERALL:
although it didnt reach my expectations for face and hair this product still gets 5 stars for being an insanely good moisturizer.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No