July 31, 2014 | 1831 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Foundation Powder [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by mmm_cheesecake

I finally found a powder that works well with my combination/acne prone skin. It covers well without having to use alot of product. The first time I used this it, I looked like powdered face...the powder just sat on top of my skin; however, I then discovered that the magic is all in the application method.

Here's what works for me: I ditched the sponge/puff provided in the case and used a sponge wedge you can purchase from drugstores. Wet the sponge, squeeze out access water and dab some powder onto the sponge. Then you apply it on your face using dabbing motion, don't drag it across your skin. ***Note: you should use a non-oily moisturizer prior to using the powder ( I use clinque dramatically different gel). Without moisturizing, this powder can/will cause flakiness to show.

I've been using this product for over a week now, so far no breakouts or new blemishes. It keeps my face from going shiny, and in hot weather, it gives my face a glow instead of a oily-slick face look.

A bit on the pricey end, I paid about $56 with tax at Sephora.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 1:29:00 AM More reviews by jrbmua

Skin: Oily
    Color/Tone: Asian with slight yellow-golden undertones in summer & more on pale side in winter. I've been using No. 2 for 2 years now and have not had any problems with this product. My acne is hormonal only.
    Have a few light post-acne marks - not too noticeable.
    Good product overall for year round use - color, blend, finish, hides my blemishes fairly well.
    I layer this on top of LM's OF TM...just on my t-zone. Mid-day I blot and touch up with this product...controls shine fairly well.
    I use disposable applicators for this product.
    Update 5/21/12: I no longer use this product. It is a great basic foundation though but I found a mineral foundation that is much cheaper, goes great with my skin, and has spf to boot.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2009 3:02:00 AM More reviews by nina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have been using this powder for over a year now. If you want a quick everyday powder, this is it! Like i said, it is good for a quick everyday thing, i dont use this if there is a big nite out, the coverage is just not enough. I generally have pretty clear skin so the light coverage is ok for me, i love how this powder is not drying even though i have dehydrated skin. Most of all, i love the fact that your face just look very natural in photos, NEVER white cast EVER! I would recommend using a base before applying the powder, i myself dont do that because my skin reacts to many products so i have to keep my routine simple. I would also recommend using a thicker sponge (like the shiseido ones) to apply the powder, the laura mercier one doesnt give as nice of a finish i find.
    Im a NC 20-25, I use powder #1, i have used #2 as well as #3 before but even though #1 looks very pale in pan but if you blend well, the color is much nicer and verstile, i can wear it all year round even in the summer when im more tanned. #2 and #3 is either too dark or too pink/beige for me. Thumbs up!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2009 8:49:00 AM More reviews by auburngal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

And I don't understand the bad reviews for this product. I received mine in swap, practically new. Color is number 1, which is perfect for me (I wear Stila IPF in 20 Watt or Shiseido foundations in I00 Very Light Ivory). Here's how I applied it: I always use moisturizer with sunscreen, letting it sink in (I have dry skin and rosacea). I used my Posh foundation brush first, then used the sponge to pat it smooth. I finish it off with my fluffy Sephora powder brush and a little more foundation, but I could just as easily used my Clinique loose powder to finish. It lasted all day; I did not need a single touch-up (remember that I have dry skin).
    To gals experiencing break-outs: I hope you are cleaning the sponge with anti-bacterial soap often. As a scientist who once worked for Allergan, I do not see how a talc-based product causes break-outs, but I know that a sponge that sopped up oil,debris,and bacteria from your skin will redeposit the bacteria (and other stuff) back on your skin,causing break-outs.

One lippie off for the cost and the fact that you can't buy a replacement powder insert. Hope LM people read these reviews and take note. I paid $40 for my Stila IPF compact plus insert at first, now I pay just $26 for the replacement inserts.

Edited to add: I cut down a Stila IPF sponge; I like using this denser sponger for application as much as the foundation brush.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2009 11:46:00 AM More reviews by faraK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i dont understand why is this product so highly rated... it really dries my skin out, looks calky, makes my face look grey and dull. and its not cheap. will not buy this ever again. NARS powder foundation is similiar to this but provides the same or better coverage and is a better product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2009 7:12:00 PM More reviews by miszczys

This is my first review ever-I LOVE LOVE this foundation! It trully give you a flawless finish. Best stuff ever!! It took me a while to figure out how to apply it, turns out wet sponge works best for me. Just don't be affraid to really wet the sponge.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2009 11:39:00 AM More reviews by kiune

This gets only 4 lippies because I have to fuss with it for it to work and it only works for me in the winter time because of the color match (only no.1 looks close to my skin tone but it is very pale) and because of the application method. Here's how I do it. It's a great product. But I find that it will only work if I moisturize HEAVILY with a creme and then before the creme has set and absorbed fully into my skin, I apply this powder with the sponge. It looks super dry but I wet my hands a tiny bit and pat the fingers and palms over my face esp over my nose where it looks most dry and it looks like flawless real skin. It looks amazingly smooth as if I have no pores, and covers beautifully. It may sound like a hassle but it works well for me. So for all the girls who say this is too dry looking, just dampen your hands with water and pat the moisture INTO your skin and see if that makes a difference. It should, esp since this is a wet/dry product.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2009 9:53:00 PM More reviews by snoopy126

My combo sensitive skin is quite happy with this product. I have shade WD 2. I like that it is oil free and I don't need to reapply it too often. I find it a bit overpriced though but finding a powder that doesn't irritate my skin is a problem for me so I'm sticking with it. The compact is off good quality but not the smallest and has slipped out of my hands a few times.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by anniemcleod

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I found the color and finish of this to be perfect as a dry powder over t-zone of my much loved oil free LM TM, however.... should have checked the ingredients before purchasing (something I have not been consistantly good at doing lately) as the main ingredient is talc - I have only recently researched and decided I don't want any products with this in. The pores on my nose became very congested after a couple of days of using. Because of the beautiful finish, I would use again but only special occassions.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2009 5:00:00 PM More reviews by Crystalyze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm so gutted this didn't work for me. I had high hopes after reading all the reviews but this gives bad coverage and in the palest shade looks incredibly chalky on my skin, it looked way to obvious and dull. Not worth the price at all.