October 24, 2014 | 1011 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Nuxe - Huile Prodigieuse (Multipurpose dry oil)

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2011 9:46:00 AM More reviews by elinanaki

It smells great, but I dont like the idea of using the same product on hair, face and body.
I believe that face has differnt needs from body or hair. So, I used it as a body oil, it left my skin smooth and hydrated without oily sense.
The packaging is awful, the product is very difficult to come out of the bottle!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by threejane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this in my July Birchbox (along with a granola bar...really? A granola bar? Is that what I am paying for?) and was initially mystified. My French isn't the best, but there's a handy English translation (multipurpose dry oil). Okay, this is a MPDO...what the hell do I do with this? I didn't figure that Nuxe intended for me to lube the gears on my dirtbike with it, so I set about to my trusty MUAers to tell me what to do with this little bottle of stuff. A little research, a little usage, and I come to you armed with another one of my insanely long reviews.

To start with, it smells awesome. Like flowers. I don't mean synthetic, we're-trying-to-be-deep-and-mystical perfume flowers, but like a bouquet of good flowers you get at the farmer's market. Barring sticking some of it in an atomizer with alcohol as room spray, I determined it smelled good. Fine. Good smell. Next! What is it...

It's a dry oil. Which can be an odd feeling if you're used to, well, OIL. You put it on, and it feels oily for a second, then it sort of fades away and you can't tell there's oil on you. I know I'm weird, but I want my oil to feel...oily. Next! Where do we put the oil...

According to trusty fellow MUAers, it can be used for almost anything. Face, nails, hair, cuticles, moisturizing...I tried them all. And found pretty much minimal results for all. Now, if it's MPDO, it's going to have a basic use for lots of things, but I found that it behaved minimally for all of them. On to all of the places I put the oil...(And no, I would not suggest it for secksytime lubeage. At all. Ever. Don't ask.)

Face: Tried this on my face. Other than catching a (pleasant) whiff of it at times, it didn't really do much in terms of moisturizing any more than Burt's Bees oil, or argan oil, or any of the other million things I put on my face. Next!

Hair: ZOMG this was a mistake. My hair is long (waist length), straight, with somewhat fried ends from an innate fear of hair salons and hairdressers with their sharp scissors and determination to cut off all of my hair ("You'd look SO CUTE with a pixie cut!!"). That and the occasional bad choice in at-home semipermanent hair coloring over the last ten years. I tried Nuxe Huile as a (minimal) leave-in, a pre-shampoo treatment, a 30-minute mask...didn't do much other than sit on my hair and make it feel crunchy, no matter how long/short I left it on, took it off, shampooed with it, or whatever. Next!

Nails/Cuticles: I will concede one point here....Nuxe Huile does well for moisturizing your nails and cuticles if you have the patience to let it sink it and not wipe it off. Which I don't. I'm about as flitty as a butterfly and always moving, so sitting for a leisurely half hour while my nails suck up the juice is about as likely as a snowball surviving twenty minutes on the 101 freeway in summer. In other words, not at all. If you have the time to hang out and luxuriate (and golly, I hate you if you do), then yes, this is a great treatment. Next!

Feet: I don't do anything oily or greasy on my feet. Ever. Period. I have been know to threaten to punch out a masseuse who wouldn't stop touching my feet even after I told her repeatedly I didn't like anyone or ANYTHING handling my feet. (Okay, I'm exaggerating, but I did tell her to knock.it.off in stern tones). I imagine with as well as it works on nails and cuticles, it would probably work well to smooth out rough heels and insteps. If you like'm them greasy footsies, go for it. Next!

Body moisture: Tried to use this as a moisturizer on dry arms and decolletage. Again, just sat on the skin and wiggled a little. Didn't sink in, didn't come off, didn't do anything except smell pretty good for a while. Unfortunately, I require more of my body lotion/oil than great scents...it has to actually DO something.

As far as price, it was a sample (and a generous one at that, no matter how many things I've done with this, it's like the magically self-replenishing oil, the level just won't GO DOWN). I understand from MUA that it's bloody expensive. Repurchase? So far it doesn't really appear to do enough for me to part with money so I can be annoyed that I have three ounces of doesn't do anything versus 1/3 of an ounce.

Final suggestion: In my experience, it is minimally useful at all trades and exceptional at none. I will keep my little sample and dab at it from time to time for fun, but not for me.

23 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by AgingHipster

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this product for my hair and skin.
it makes my frizz-prone hair behave, imparts shine, and smells wonderful.
Softens skin, sinks in well, and again, smells wonderful.

The smell reminds me a bit Kenzo Summer, for some reason.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 4:04:00 AM More reviews by janjarang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

(NOTE: I only use this in summer - in colder months, it is not hydrating enough for my skin)
I love this product. I have been trying dry oil from many brands and this one seems to work best. It smells wonderful, gentle and not overpowering. The smell doesn't really last that long anyway but I think it's best to try a little bit first to see how it reacts with your skin. It makes my skin very smooth and it doesn't break me out when I use it on face. It's also gentle enough to use around the eye area and I'm usually very sensitive. I tried it the first time from a tester. I sprayed it on one of my hands and went shopping. After a while, I notice how different my skin feels on the part that I've used the oil. I ended up buying a whole bottle (the 20th anniversary version in France). The price is reasonable for me (20 EUR) and it lasts a long time. Anyway, the downside is it's a bit too oily to use for my hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/13/2011 3:23:00 PM More reviews by xixiy

I got a sample of this from a Shopper's grand opening. Can't say much about long-term usage, but I used it and it's made my skin very soft. Scent is a personal preference, so no comment. The only issue I had with this is that it made my hair feel like it hasn't been washed for a week. Yuck!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by Icaria

I went to the drugstore today to get a night creme and got Aroma-Vaillance based on MUA reviews (will review later). I was glad to finaly be able to try this oil. Happy I didn't buy it. It is very moisturizing and non greasy but the smell on me is horrible. Too woodsy and weird on my skin. That's why I gave it a 2. Even after 2 hours and washing my arm I can still smell it. I will likely go for René Garraud wich is very similar but with a citrussy smell and about $15 less.
Edit: I ended up getting a large sample of this in a GWP & must say that it totally grew on me. LOVE IT! So yes! I will purshase the full size!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 5:20:00 PM More reviews by nd1282

I love this product! Smells wonderful, absorbs like a dream, and is moisturizing without being greasy. The price point annoys me- $44.00 is quite a bit for 3.3 oz of oil- but it works so well, I can justify it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Marianthoula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pretty useless to me. I kept reading about the "divine scent" and I was soooo disappointed at this cheap, chemical, overpowering "bleh". The actual product was not much better, either.
---Body (normal skin): OK it got quite softer after application, but there was no sort of "nourishment". Skip it for a couple of showers, and my skin was like I never used it before. Shouldn' it improve my skin, even a little?
---Hair (normal hair): Yuck!!! I used the tiniest amount, it made my hair gorgeously soft for -like- half a day, and then they were like I poured a glass of oil on them. Disgusting!
--- Face (Combination): Same as body. And, God, the smell!!!
Overall: I give it 2 because it did make my skin and hair softer upon application. I am not going to repurchase, though. Useless and ridiculously overpriced (30 Euro? Come on!!!)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 2:45:00 AM More reviews by Spookz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i absolutely love this. i use it after showering on my body and it smells amazing and keeps my skin hydrated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2011 1:05:00 PM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Lovely multi purpose dry oil! I use it on my body after showering, and it keeps my (pregnant) skin in good condition! Also use it on my hair and face, when they need some extra care in winter. The fragrance is pretty strong, luckily I really love it :)! I use D&G The One on top of it, and it is the perfect fragrant combo! As mentioned by many before me, it is very expensive though, small 50ml bottle costs about 20 euro's, and it is not easy to get hold of here in Holland. I end up buying it in France when we visit my parents-in-law in their summerhouse, it's cheaper, and almost every pharmacie sells it.