La Mer Lip Balm

3.8

Petrolatum, Octyldodecanol, Microcrystalline Wax, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Bis-diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentaoleate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Seaweed Extract, Emerald, Algae Extract, Tourmaline, Sesame Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Sesame Seeds, Alfalfa Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Powdered Almonds, Sodium-potassium-copper-calcium-magnesium And Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacin, Fish Protein, Castor Oil, Phytosphingosine Trehalose, Polybutene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cholesterol, Glyceryl Distearate, Water, Glycerin, Menthyl Pca, Oleic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Sodium Saccharin, Fragrance, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Bht Propylparaben, Blue 1 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake

Eyes: Violet

This lip balm is nice for application right before you go to bed. It really does condition my lips and makes them super soft when I wake up in the morning. It IS La Mer the super famous brand, but I can't justify spending all that money for a lip balm and it does seem like its just mostly made of Vaseline with the La Mer brand name on top. I haven't found a substitute yet, but I'm sure there are several out there that works just as well and costs a lot less.

on 7/26/2010 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I purchased La Mer's Lip Balm during my second cycle on Accutane. My lips were so dry that they were peeling and bleeding. I needed something more than the Aquaphor that I had been relying on and since my HG moisturizer is Creme de la Mer, I figured I couldn't go wrong trying the lip balm. It worked O.K. but nothing out of the ordinary. I liked the minty taste but I found it very hard to rub on my delicate lips. It didn't seem to heal them or even soften them enough to warrant the high price tag. In the end, I finally shelled out the really big bucks on By Terry's Baume de Rose, which healed my lips within days.
2/9/12 UPDATE: I've increased my rating on this product to 4 lippies. I received this balm in a swap a few months ago and I am unsure if it is because I didn't shell out the money for it or if it is because I am no longer on Acctuane, but I really love this lip balm. I became almost sickened by the taste/scent of Baume de Rose so the slightly sweet and minty-ness of La Mer's balm is a welcome respite. I also found that the balm I am using now isn't at all hard but more oily and it feels wonderful on my lips.

on 7/13/2010 5:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Hmmm...

General: A decent lip balm but nothing out of the ordinary which you would expect from La Mer or just for the price.

Effectiveness of product: Actually very nice on the lips to begin with. Can make the lips feel a bit sticky/ tacky after an hour or so, so not great on longevity. A bit minty to begin with but a very sweet taste comes through if you catch your tongue on your lip after application - I feel this is a cheapening of the product. If anyone likes this, it must at the very least be partly due to them being hooked on its sugary taste - cheap subliminal marketing ploy by La Mer me thinks! Lack of spf is not something I cared for when I bought it, as I wanted a moisterising product only but since it does not deliver anything better than Burt's Bees Lip Balm on the moisterising front - well I have no choice but to feel that this product is definetly lacking especially for the price!

My lips were no more or less better than before its application - this product is nothing special Burt's Bees lip balm packs a better punch!

Packaging: Nice box on opening the prodcut for the first time - from there onwards it is contained in much the same way as any other lip balm - finger dipping or utilising a separate lip brush are your applicator's of choice.

Overall: Not a bad product but definetly NOT worth the money on so many levels, even Vaseline lip balms offer a level of spf. Come on La Mer surely you should know that spf for the lips should be a given at that price. I for one will not be purchasing this again - my money is better spent on a brand that truly cares about the needs of my skin and not the hype that surrounds and perpetuates its existence.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

SHAME ON LA MER! this product is forty-five dollars minimum, and boasts moisture and the good for you ingredients that their cream has (which, btw, i'm not a believer of either). Look at the first ingredient, and you'll understand why this is bogus. Even my Nivea lip balm at the store works better and has a more stellar recipe. All you're paying for here is the luxury of the mint and glass container, and of course, the brand. big PASS. i'm no fan of mint either.
the price is just ridiculous for barely soft lips---i half expected magic. am sorely disappointed.

on 5/17/2010 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this product because my lips gets really chapped when it is "the time of the month" and because of all the great reviews here.
So I went to get it, it is $400HKD!! It is damn expensive!!

Well first of all, I don't like the taste of this lip balm at all...
however I do like the texture.
But it did not save me lips at all, My lips are still as dry as ever or actually a little worse.

The other thing I really hate about this lip balm is the packaging!!
It is so unhygienic to use my fingers to apply it every time.
It totally reminds me of those algae plates that I used to use to grow bacteria in for biology class.

I will not buy this again, it is way too expensive for what it does... I rather save the money and buy something else from La Mer.

on 5/16/2010 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I didn't want to rate this a 1 (there could always be something worse out there) but I was so disappointed in this treatment. It actually makes my lips more dry! Wasn't sure if I was having an allergic reaction to it or what, but I certainly won't buy it again.

on 5/9/2010 11:30:00 PM

I tried this because my friend had it. It's an okay lip balm, but I would never shell out $40+ for a lip product that's made of mostly Vaseline.

This product saved my lips! my lips were getting to be a darker color and after i used this product every night for a few weeks my lips lightened up. now they are nice and pink. =)

on 3/16/2010 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My go to lip balm - the only one I would ever buy. Love the smell, love the texture and sheen it gives my lips, love how it keeps them moisturized all day long. Only one big problem the PRICE - its way too expensive for the amount of product you get, but I'm addicted, ebay is my saviour and I can keep my habit going without breaking the bank. I have tried other brands in the past but can honestly say that I will never stray again.

on 3/13/2010 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love lip balms, lip plumpers, and a few lip glosses. Soft, luscious lips are an important factor in beauty. I was reluctant to spend 45 dollars for it, but I've seen so many InStyle reviews of it and heard great things about it. Personally, I love the small tub it is packaged in. It looks like something that belongs in a spa. Appearance is more important than functionality to me; that is what makeup and fashion should be about after all. The balm may not be worth the price, but if you love healthy lips, you would always keep this on hand. I always apply after a workout, or early before work. It is moisturizing, just not forty-five dollars worth of moisturizing. Get some vaseline or something if money is tight lol This one just has a great smell, look, consistency, added to the moisture. Thus, it's a winner.

Popular Lip Treatments